Absolution 4: Tabula Rasa

To Punt
From Satura

We would also like to send missionaries from all across the world to your region, from Zorrkanism to the Stones, so that you may learn of their ideals and their connections to places near and far. How much would you desire.

To Land of the Sun

Thank you.

To Cyria

I don't want to cause hyperinflation, but if you force my hand, I will. Tell me what terms you wish that can be gained peacefully, and I will help mediate. You have no idea how much I want to fight, but I know that fighting will only purge this world deeper into the abyss that is Zulep and the doom that is Aset. (Snide/unspoken: Of course, that's what you want, eh?)

To: Satura

They will be welcome, but I'll warn you that my people have little regard for superstition.

You seem quite desperate to avoid a war, which is understandable so allow me to lay out the sort of world I see at the end of the war, if I were to win it. I do not mean to say we should go to war, I simply wish to illustrate objectives of mine. You see, when I was a boy I knew people who were content to live side by side with Zorrkanists and no good came from it. You are naive to think that is a safe way of life. Look at the Persians! The Land of the Sun! Your own Religious dissenters once took up arms against their countrymen, if you do not remember.

I want a stable, Stone Worshipper's State governed in whatever fashion they chose save a theocracy. It will be called Kurda and it will control the Fragrance sources to the inland. The Land of the Sun may keep Ur and will not be required to rebuild the temple but a stone shall be taken from that temple to serve as cornerstone of the new capitol of Kurdia.

This will also serve as a buffer state to protect Cyria from the consequences of Ur's dangerous and unpredictable policies.

From Satura
To Cyria

You are correct. I agree that Zorrkanism ignited religious tensions: let's look at the origins of these tensions in the first place.

Originally, every nation has their own culture, and their religion reflected that. The Faith of the Stones reflected the industrious nature of Zull, Zorroism reflected the contemplative nature of Persia, Aktenism reflected the mercantile drive of Satura, and many other areas.

The problem started is that for many, the religion IS the state; so what happens when a religion goes beyond a state? From hence, we saw centuries of unseen strife in Satura, as the Stones Worship became ever more deviant and Aktenism ever more decadent for the sake of contrast, and not religious order itself; remember, I myself saw the product of both Aktenist and Stone deviancy, and I vowed to end it. You say that Zorrkanism too up arms against their countrymen, which was true; did you know that Aktenists, Zorroists, and Stonists rioted and beat each other to death even before Zorrkanism took power?

Now, we see that Zorrkanism has gained power. It's a comparably moderate religion, founded on a set of principles dedicated to enlightening the soul. And as soon as we secured ourselves, we immediately gave up our hold on the government. As soon as Zorrkanism took power, State and Religion was seperated, so that State can fulfill the duties of serving the physical needs of the people, and that Religion can serve the spiritual.

But still, people took advantage of our newfound tolerance. We were willing to end all religious influence in the government, but returning exiles refused to accept that. Instead of making their own temple, Eastern Zorroists assaulted the Zorrkanist temple instead. Instead of letting the High Priests abdicate their power at Ur, they were assassinated before they can secure the Priestdom and thus have a strong enough hold to declare so.

-----------------------------------------

You want a stable Stone Worshipper's State governed by a Secular government as a buffer between the Land of the Sun and yourself? These are the terms you seek?
1) Establishment of the State of Kurdia, with control of Fragrances
2) This state shall be stable
3) This state shall follow the Faith of the Stones
4) The Land of the Sun shall compose of Ur, and any land not adjacent to Cyria nor to the Fragrance sources
5) This new state shall, then, serve as a buffer between yourself and the Land of the Sun.

We will send communications to the Land of the Sun immediately.

To the Land of the Sun
From Satura

Same deal as before, except the reparations are to be paid in land instead of cash. If you accept this deal, we will reimburse the loss of your trade goods by sending you a choice of imports and/or constant reparations until future trade goods can be developed; this will replace any income which you might receive from said trade goods. In addition, we will send 3EP for every domestic income you might lose so that you may regain it instantly with closer domestic growth, as well as 5EP for the purpose of constructing Courthouses; the revelevant technologies shall be sent.

To Iberios
From the Land of the Sun

Now that peace is soon to be made, we wish to rediscuss our deal.

If the Land of the Sun is no longer a threat to Cyria then you may offer them whatever aid you desire.

Agreed. :( I'm not in much of a position to negotiate.

"I didn't do it!" cried the unfortunate Aktenist. "I swear on Akten's might!"

"Lies" replied the cold voice of a robed and hooded figure. The torches casted fantastic shadows against the back of the cave. "You will suffer the Doom of Zulep soon enough, but until then, you must reveal the truth"

"No, no NO!" cried the man, but it was too late. Two bronze muzzles snapped his mouth open. The man screamed as a chunk of pickled grouper is placed into his mouth, the acid burning his tongue.

Nonchalantly, the Inquisitor took one and placed it in his own mouth. He nourished the pain, the pain which helps him see clear of the dangers of the flesh.

As he chewed the monstrous item, a servant kept drawing small blades across his back, a replacement for whipping for this crucial operation, but nontheless cleansing his soul with every drop of blood which falls on the ground.

He leans to the man, who somehow swallowed his piece. He breathed into the eye of the victim... it begun tearing up from the rancid power of the grouper.

"It is time for the truth." he whispered, and begun cranking the a lever. The man started wimpering again as the machine slowly but surely pulled his fingers out of his joints.

"Sir, the time with this rapist prisoner is done. You must help reeducate five bullies from Sudan in bay 3" came the voice. The Inquisitor sighed, and begun packing his equipment. Thumbscrews, tiny knives which slit nerves without severing them, and especially a small keg of the pickled grouper.

He left, leaving the Aktenist in the shadow, deep in the bowels of Aset.

For he has attacked another for the reason of religion.

For in Satura, religious tolerance is enforced with a no-tolerance law.

You break it, you will be reeducated.

With extreme prejudice.

Waset-Capital of Satura, dominates religious, cultural, social, military, political and masonic lives.
Eliat- The small Port of Satura, manages the trade to Punt, Land of the Sun, and other exotic locales.
Kampf/B]-Permanent base built over earlier ranger camps and fortifications, it is a cornerstone to the defense of Satura while also maintaining trade and a significant population.
Dez-A western base for the defense of Satura, it's location in an hidden oasis makes it hard to find for any hostile locals.
Sereg-The first Saturan city built during the expansion into the Serengeti. Many supplies are funneled through its gates.
Kada-A Seregite city built near a lake, newly brought agriculture makes it the bread basket of the Seregite conquests
Iruba-A small city comparable to Dez, it is on the fringe of the southern Jungle in preparation to defend against possible attacks.
Sounra-Although established like Iruba, it soon became a rather sizable town due to the large amount of Seregite converts to Zorrkanism.
Nubian Cities
Napata-Although a rather important city in its own right, it lags behind due to its few trade routes and lackluster leadership before accepting Saturan overlordship.
Kartoros-A city established far into the rocky gorges of the nile, it is near here that Koughphee is discovered.
Axum-It is here that Sudanese goods are traded. Even smaller than Eliat, the only major trade is the growing sale of Koughphee for Punted wine.

The Treaty of Kurdia
Article 1, the Establishment of Peace
1) Kurdia, Land of the Sun, and Cyria agree to establish Secular Governments
2) Kurdia, Land of the Sun, and Cyria agree to maintain peace in the region
3) Kurdia, Land of the Sun, and Cyria agree to practice generic religious toleration of each other's faith
Article 2, the Establishment of Kurdia
1) The State of Kurdia shall be established
2) Kurdia shall control the border between the Land of the Sun and Cyria, and act as a buffer zone
3) Kurdia shall follow the Faith of the Stones as its official religion
4) Kurdia shall control the sources of the Fragrances of the Desert
5) These areas are marked in Green in the map
6) The Land of the Sun composes of all lands not taken up by the new state of Kurdia.
Article 3, the Aftermath
1) The Land of the Sun shall rebuild the Temple of the Stones
2) Saturan Funds will rebuild the region formerly of the Land of the Sun; This including the Land of the Sun and Kurdia.
-Signed, Aureas Orangesmith the Archiver of Satura

As all these are discussed and thus applicable, been agreed to in correlated documents, or essential to peace itself, the remaining parties should promptly place this signature on this document, which shall be archived both in our sizable archives, as well as copies for each participant.

OOC: I'm pretty sure I'd count something like that.

They are identical.

To: Aureas Orangesmith Archiver of Satura

Signed.

The High Priest informed me that I would be taking over his duties and so I feel as though I ought to sign this document.

It is true, I am a scholar. It is said that in the ancient days when the Land of the Sun was first founded the Bado Kings set forth for us to be a land of scholars. But their dreams, alas, were never realized. Like the Merchant Lords and High Priests who came after them the Bado kings were overthrown before they did much.

The wounds of that battle healed in time, as I am sure that these wounds will heal but for now my situation is dire. With the overthrow of the Merchant Lords so recent and with the assassination of so many Religious officials during the time of great unease my calculations predict that the only income I will be able to get for the next turn at least will come from my sale of your imports. I was wondering if you would be so kind as to help me obtain writing and build a courthouse so that I can convince someone outside of this palace that I actually run this country.

To Philospher King Tarpa of The Land of the Sun
From Aureas Orangesmith Archiver of Satura

Indeed. We should talk in secret, for now that the Land of the Sun should soon finished their trait change (why Skilord? why? I just realized why they are so destabilized because they choose the dangmabist worst time for a trait change :(), it will prove stable enough to be rebuilt, as it has been rebuilt once, a long time ago.

No longer will the Land of the Sun be on the mere edge of the world. We will do all that we can to help you gain the rightful control of your own country, and of your countries control of her own future.

48 Hour Warned.

Although there will be some religious exceptions this week (Rastafari and Wicca holidays will be recognized).

No, but serious, I'll do it of Saturday if I have the orders. Easter is hit or miss, but Saturday would be really easy for me.

Aureas worked on the anvil, bringing his hammer down again and again on the bronze bar. Slowly, it became shaped by his blows, such like how Satura was shaped by his blows.

With each strike, a shudder ran through his arms as he forced the metal against the anvil, and with each lift he grunted again, heating the bar in the furnace nearby.

With a final grunt, he pulled the now thin bar of bronze over the horn of the Anvil, with a few skillful blows, he shaped it into a horseshoe and then stuck it into a pool of brine. The water exploded as the hot metal is tempered by its coolness.

"The design is perfect, Kausta" he said. "I want you to build thee hundred more throughout our cities, to better supply our troops with."

The inventor and advisor bowed, and left.

Hurled at My Enemies

(Scientific/Militaristic Story: Iberios)

(+UU: Iberion Archer)

-

"Is it really such a grand Idea, your highness, to invest so much of the nation's treasury into a project like this?"

The arm of the makeshift Kataapult was swinging dead in the field below the palace. It's cargo had made it twenty or thirty yards before smashing into some poor villager's home. But vengeance was provided by the Stones, as the Kataapult itself was smashed in the launch.

King Floof the Third smiled broadly, watching his men trying to repair the machine, "I believe so, we seem to have the tension element nailed, but there are great problems with keeping the thing stable. One day, I believe I shall use these devices to hurl things at my enemies from afar."

"A delightful fancy, milord, but is it practical? The accuracy will be quite low."

"The rocks will be massive, even when they miss my enemies will fear my power."

"I feel as though this money could be better spent elsewhere, if you want your enemies to fear your power."

"What do you mean?"

"You know as well as I that our resources are scarce when it comes to Bronze, much of our supply is imported, but we've found some stones that are much harder nearby. I don't see why we couldn't use that for our weapons instead."

"Do you have a sample?" the King asked.

"No, sir, as of now our samples are too large and heavy to be moved."

"Too heavy? Ha! I can't send my men out in armor that is too heavy for them, we are a quick and subtle people."

"True sir, this is not a solution for today. But thankfully we do not need to march to war today. We've all heard the news from Cyria, the docks are aflutter with it. If you spent our resources working to harness a new stone..."

King Floof nodded, "The stones would approve. When the Zulappi crafted Shinestone it is well known that the Stones blessed them with many things. To go beyond Shinestone... to see Cartagena a greater city than Zull or Syrius... to hear the panicked yelping of Saturans... it would be glorious."

"You see my point then?"

"I do. But we must deal with the future tomorrow and the present today. Today my men are working on the Kataapult research and cannot get to also discovering the new Shinestone. But I do have something for you that will offer our position today somewhat more security. An early model of the ballistics research."

The King picked up a bow from his table and showed it to the Royal Scientist, adding an arrow he fired a bolt directly into the now still arm of the dead Kataapult.

"How's that for accuracy?"

-

(Iberion Archer: 4 Attack, Cost 2, +4 to Bombard)

-

The Smashed House

(Commercial Story: Iberios (Dainty Wooden Statues))

-

Jake of South Iber stood outside the remains of his house in Cartagena with his jaw slack, he thought he lived in a civilized place and things like this go around happening?

Thankfully some Sailors from the Iberion Navy were assigned to help him clear damage and salvage what could be salvaged.

Many of these things were wood shrapnel and splinters, all smashed when the rock slammed into the house.

"Lucky thing you weren't in there," said one of the sailors.

Jake nods, "Yeah, but my whole collection was in there."

"Of what?" asks the sailor, pulling loose beams out of the rubble.

"Carvings. I make carvings. I sell them to some of the nobles but one day I wanted to send some to Zull and see if they would sell there, or at least Waset. I hear they'll buy anything in Waset."

The sailor laughs, "I'm fresh from a voyage to Cyria and in Cyria they have a saying about trading with Saturans. They say 'Trading with a Saturan is like sharing a goat with a pack of wolves. Neither one is going to leave any meat on the bones'."

Jake laughs but is soon reminded that he is clearing the rubble of his house and returns to frowning.

"Hey, let me see some of these carvings, do you have any left?"

Jake nods, "I was working on one when it happened."

And out of his pocket he produces a stunning model of a sailing ship, carved out of pine, with every detail carved from the lines to the rails, the doors and rowing hold, the Sailor nods.

"Cheer up, doing work like this you ought to be living in a much nicer house anyway. We've got a goodwill mission to the Zulappi coming up after shore leave, I think we might be able to break into that foreign market."

And so with a smile Jake continued clearing the wreckage of his house.

Actually it's just depressing

(Commercial Story: Kitanato (Trade Good: Haiku Scrolls))

-

The sea is cold now
And the shore fraught with peril
If I were Dragon...

Stillborn flowers hang
To this rocky soil of ours
The sea holds us back

Perhaps if ship comes
They will feel touch of poems
To offer us help

-

The Settling of Kurdia

(Cultural Story: Kurdia)

And as the treaty required the lands were apportioned and the Zorrkanists left from them, but to whom was their great question. There were, statistically speaking, no Stone Worshipers among the Land of the Sun and many of those who were still in the country were trained as assassins by some foreign Agents and had been instrumental in holding the unrest in those lands. In short, the survivors of the purge had lived in Cyria for over a generation and become a stagnant underclass but essentially nationals of Cyria, and the Stone Worshippers who did continue to live in the Land of the Sun were mostly wanted for very specific crimes that they committed as acts of insurrection.

But both of these groups found a happy home in Kurdia, although when the Cyrian nationals arrived they could not grow the fragrances or mix them and the times were unhappy.

But when the others arrived, trained by Iberios and hardened by a prolonged hostile domestic campaign they took the others in hand and taught them how to cultivate and mix fragrances. "They said down south that we smelled bad, but we'll all smell magnificent soon enough. Let the Zorrkanists sweat and stink, the Stone worshippers have the fragrances now!"

And so they worked to cultivate a national feeling in the makeshift arrangement. These men would be Kurds, and their leaders knew from their education in Ur that without a stable direction things would fall apart quickly.

But they were also prepared to give them that direction.

The government came first. These men had lived as refugees their whole lives and only a few came with Cyrian army training. Most of the refugees who joined the army remained back in Cyria.

So, without a large and well established funding the leading operatives of the nation worked to arrange workmasters from the Cyrians who had been in the army, organizing the others into work groups and setting them to build housing, as the housing situation was completely inadequate with the new larger population.

And as they set out an industrious path and built the first real city the Operatives named the head of Operations "Consul" and even told the workers that they could vote on ideas if they could find the time to come to Chambers for "Direction Meetings" held on the first Saturday of each month.

It was at these meetings that the first diplomatic messages were sent, first to Cyria asking for troops to reinforce their holdings and protect against criminals or vengance seekers.

The second:

To: Zulappi

May we claim the right to continue the trade of Fragrances for Ritual Urns?

-

To: Zulappi

May we inquire as to whether you would trade Comfy Cushions for Dainty Wooden Statues?

-

To: The Empire of the Heavenly Dragon

Would you trade your baskets for our poems?

Kausta walked into the oracle, where the virgin priestesses of Akten held vigil. The mighty Obelisk of the Farseer hung over sacrificial brazier, flanked by smaller stones for his stalwart guard Krunnr, and his intelligent courtesan Jocasta. The tall stone walls hushed the hustle and bustle of the great city outside, bringing it into a low simmer, a background which merged with the ceaseless chanting before the floor.

The High Priestess walked over. As a shrine of Aktenism, the only seen symbol of Zorroist influence can only be seen by the swirling tattoos which crisscrossed her bare skin. This "Sky-Clad" uniform was taken from Seregite mystics, while the tattoos are inspired by the traditional tales.

While she approached, he allowed himself to try to chase the lines, trying to read the hidden messages and omens. He was unsuccessful, if only because two particular lines spiral around two particular points on her chest.

"You have brought the offering and the inquiry?" she asked. He lifted the roasted drunken hare and nodded. He had made sure that only the finest Sudanese spices, Seregite Hares and Saturan Ale went into the cooking of the offering, still inside its skin.

On the other hand, he held a tablet inscribed with Saturese, questions about the future of Zorrkanism, the future of the world, even.

The High Priestess took hold of the offerings and turned to the Brazier. On her back, thick scabs could be seen from her ritualistic beatings.

Horrified at the extent of the scarring, Kausta's attention was drawn to several drains established in the floor of the Oracle. As she threw the offerings into the fire, two of her subordinates appeared as if from nowhere, and drew razor whips.

Kausta resisted the attempts by the other priestesses to take him out, so he can only hear the omens, and not see them.

And as she read the fire, as in in a trance, the whips fell mercilessly into her scars and her wounds, opening them anew. And as she is brought closer into the Realm of Ideas, the more intense her visions. "SAILS, I SEE BLACK SAILS IN YOUR FUTURE" she cried, then groaned in pain, "Sails of Linen! Sails of the world!"

Sails?

"The clouds themselves propel them, and they come ever closer... they come ever closer to us!"

"And... And..."

"WE MASTER THEM WITH THE MIGHT OF THE DIVINE WINDS."

The priestess faints, and at that moment, the brazier flared, and died.

Sails.

Sails and the divine winds...

To day we fight, the next we die
To meet the end, with our last sigh
Whether it be, bright or dark
We will survive to kill our mark

Our many spears are as the trees
Our many men are as the bees
Our many souls belong to him
Who sings to us our last heard hymn

To day we march, the next we fight
To day we heal, the next we blight
To day we forge, the next we wield
To day we polish our fresh new shield

For we are the men of Sudan
We will fight to the last man
We will make our own weapons
And we will use them to pwn.

Over the mountains, and through the woods
To the Jungles of Iruba we go
We will follow our orders, even if we die where we stood
And death, our spears will sow

Let every man of Sudan travel to Napata, and forge his own spear and shield, and his own plow and hoe. And let every man of Sudan farm and fight, to grow and kill, to create life and death.

Let every man do his duty, in the service of their Lord.

Top Bottom