EltNES: THIS World is Yours

I have encouraged people to write on Anything they wanted, and shape areas culturally or politically, regardless of who first created it. This is a cooperative building experiment, to boot. If they have a problem, they could take it up with me, but I doubt that they do. Boundless has dabbled with doing something similar with Issith to what you are doing.

I just randomly picked a number really. it seemed lowish enough to make them really rare, and dispersed. the back/story life-cycle for them is up in post 488.

which is not set in stone. and can be changed by you into anything you want. they just are to be big, powerful, and really really rare.

oh, and, revised orders.
8 points: Bank

No more order changes, plox.

I'll get my orders in on wednesday/thursday depending on how much work i've completed for my paper.

That is fine. It is at a state right now where I can update the map and whatnot in little pieces, as player interaction is probably null. Which is what I do. Orders are due friday.

10 points

5 points Religion Offshoot: Sha'Taaug, for the Ogres

Sha'Taaug is a corruption of Sha'Telkug much like how the "true" Krutarg see the Ogres as a corruption of their race. Unlike in Sha'Telkug which sees the Earth as an unpersonalized force the followers of Sha'Taaug see the Earth as an actual deity, and not a kind one. Due the Orges' lot in life they feel that they have been cast out the Earth's good graces; in return they have decided to scorn the Earth and not let the natural energies they use return to the Earth. To this end the Ogres practice cannibalism believing that if they eat the freshly dead they will absorb the energies of that we inside said person. However one should only eat the dead that they were on good terms with in life because as Ogres, the once chosen people of the Earth, the dead can still control their energy and if you consume the dead that hate you they will try to harm you. This restriction only applies to Ogres and Krutarg since humans can't control the natural energies in life they aren't able to in death either and any human eaten will be enslaved by the Orge. Burial is seen as the greatest insult to a follower of Sha'Taaug as they are being sent back to the Earth that cast them out and will surely punish them; this is only reserved for those who had no good relationships with any in the community.

Edit: You know what I feel like doing some raiding
4 points Invasion (Kur'Kush)
1 point Raze Ari (Kur'Kush)

Crap. Eltain, I may or may not be able to actually get in orders for the update. I'll see if I can hash out what we discussed tomorrow morning/noon (GMT-4). Classes end arond 11am, so that gives me a window of twoish hours to do orders.

merciary: Ahh, our first schism. Of any kind. :0 And a right cool one it is. What is the response of followers of Sha'Telkug to being buried after death? Is it specifically Ogres (initially, at least) that follow Sha'taaug?

nutranurse: That is alright. Since I'm being a beeyotch and not giving much leeway to anyone at all, if you want to just bank without doing anything much, you have to say so in thread. For the record, I will accept orders posted up to 11:50 PM EST on friday.

Nah, I just sent them. Probably to the detriment of my paper :C

Sha'Telkug followers believe that one should be buried after death so that the energies stored in the body can return to the earth and right now yes its only Ogres that follow Sha'taaug. Though it could be interesting if either of these religions spread to the humans.

5 points:
4 points: City Walls around Tolindanas.
1 point: Bank.

This turn is rounding out very well. Do people read the whole updates, or just their area?

7/8 orders.

Whole updates. Granted, I tend to get around to reading outside my area only when procrastinating.

Maybe, but I don't want people to feel as though they are not welcome to one area because it is linked to another player's orders. What is an example of you not knowing what is going on?

Everyone in the Teiden and Toravopes valley worships either Tei (a minotaur that drags the sun across the sky) or the Mistress of Fire (a crazy woman who might be the sun).

There's the Irilenes (Iris, Etc, that the Gurks have invaded. Mostly vegetarian I gather.)

West of there is the Obayonids (of the famed Obay wall)

Eddarians, basically 'stock barbarians' thus far, attacked the Obayonids. Then there's the Kenefah, who are basically cousins of the Gurks. The Urden are half-gurk half-Irilene.

Finally the Kintara, a species of venus flytraps the size of trees that eat anything that come near them. Basically there are sparse forests of them that gobble up herds of deer that are stupid enough to wander through, looking for food. No one has described what any peoples look like, except the non-humans.

Simple enough to me because I've been writing about them and brainstorming for stats of each era and how they will evolve.

Edit: and on the west coast are peoples called Lavrans, which Boundless described as 'good ship builders'. They've interacted with the Eddarians and sort of inter-bred in some settlements. No major religion there, no major species. Was it my writing or just apathy that made you not know? I can go into more details easily.

Guess what gaiz no more orders cause I am a dictator and gave a deadline.

Update II:VIII
or Update 19​

Link to ze map
Spoiler :

Wonder Alert - Tempest Sea or more accurately the Mashariki Sea - The Great Wave swept across the lip of the world, destroying ports, farms, roads, even entire cities. The Warren Isles found themselves in self-destructive civil-war - the land divded between the outcast and the survivors in the Warrens. Barbaric Swiech, collectively nown as the Bahari-Bedui or the Sea Tribes, swept asunder by the Great Wave, roam the Isles and the sea, pillaging where they may and eating what ... or who, they can get their hands on.

Wengi in the Warren Isles devolved to the basest of hoarding: food. Where food was had, grown, fished or taken; life blossomed, a thousand Swiech born a day, until the food ran out. When that day came, a thousand Swiech starved a day, and the Bahari-Bedui would move on, to the next Isle, to the next home, the next Warren, or until they were kicked out by the elitist Swiech of the Warren-homes. Food production and export halted; the coasts of the mainland, which for so long relied on the fish imports of the Swiech, halted growth and began to shrink.
In Zanomar, the ancient docks were ripped from the sheer face of the cliffs there by the force of the westward gale of the Great Wave. Import of food halted from Ganamir and Danaropes, and the city stunted, shrinking back down to a small Swiech village dominated by a powerful Issith dictator with her thousand-fold brood of sons to enforce her will.

The metropolices of the Quatriut suddenly lost their entire way of life. Every single Quatriut ship not moored in the underr-ground docks of Ganamir or Zanomar were destroyed by the great Tempest. Import from the Warren Isles and the Wheat Basket of the Sephirean city states halted, every shipment of luxuries, foods, exotic timbers, dyes, animals, even mercenaries was overturned. Suddenly, a million people had no access to food. Suddenly, the world was a million souls pourer.

The Bahari-Bedui began to follow chieftan-priests who would lead them to food, after time and again they were outcast from the Warrens which did have food. One priest, whose name has been lost to history, was visited in his sleep by the Wengi, in a state known as the njaa-nDoto. In this starvation-induced almost-sleep, a startling revelation was made to him. He must lead his people to greener pastures. More specifically, to the greenest pasture they knew.

This priest, remembered only as the 'Green Dreamer', united the barbaric Swiech tribes, and led them north, towards Usial. The Green Dreamer and his hordes of starvation-fueled warriors stormed the long-starved, un-fortified and barely defended Quatriut city, claiming it for their own. The Green Dreamer was killed by a Mahaki mercenary, ending his saga in a flourish of blood and hooves. As he died, another was visited by Wengi, in the south. He was visited also by this njaa-nDato, this green dream. It told him of the pastures, the pastures they must visit. And so this Green Dreamer took the remaining Bahari-Bedui, and led them north, to Quarsi. And Dona. And across the Widewater to Trensor.

Tolindanas, the human farming village, hardened by Gurkish raids and their recent struggle to defend Veskopes and Fort Forisa, have taken up the reigns of supplying Zanomar with food. Although the city has shrunk since the ancient past, it still controls a formidable position, and one of the only bridges across the fast-flowing Toravopes. The falls over which the Toravopes empties into the Tempest Sea has earned the moniker 'Shipwreck Falls', due to a tower of wrecked corn and barley barges at the bottom which fell over it attempting to dock at the upper docks of Zanomar.

Parin has grown into a full-fledged city, burgeoning to the brim with people and merchants and even the occasional well-tempered Krutarg mercenary.

The Tempest Sea has stablized some, however the political dynamics have changed drastically in the last era. Tolindanas is the new food supplier to Zanomar. Zanomar, no longer a peaceful Swiech trading post, (while not stupid enough to attack the settlement that supplies the grain to its subjects), has already sent raids against Danaropes, its former suppliers of fish, before Dhahabu Samaki was half swept away. Ganamir is a ghost town. With no working real docks, as the rickety stairs leading dow nthe cliff to them has been destroyed, and no Ranirric merchants to trade with, has become a ghost town. Ranir and Parin's situation has almost reversed, with Parinese talk of simply conquering Ranir. The Quatriut have all but died out, and have become basically second-class citizens under a series of ever-changing Swiech theocracies. Their only saving grace in the eyes of the Bahari-Bedui, is that they were ardent worshippers of Wengi long before the Great Wave. Swi'Woh has become a powerful entity, with tribute-collectors sent to Ranirric and Usialene merchants and farmers, as protection money.

A9 - Eltania - High in the frozen foothills of central Eltania lies the town of Falme. More a military outpost than a town, it has attracted unwanted attention from wandering scouts of the Men of the Ice, who have begun raiding farms and quarries nearer the polar mountains.

B11 - Malkieri Plains - Fal Dara has had competition from a second town across the waterfall, known as Fal Darna. Fal Darna, while not known for its splendor, nor its ability to draw kings in for roosting, has quite the commanding view of the river and waterfall, being a dozen stories above it, and a few dozen stories higher than the lower Estvod river. The towns of Fal Dara and Fal Darna have become affectionately known as the Twins, and named for the waterfall they perch upon, the DarHa.

D8 - Krutargga - The Ogres of Krutargga have always been outsiders. Some say they were exiled to the Barren Lands for their weakness. They themselves claim that the Earth exiled them, angry for their failure in some way. Being the bold, brutish, and somewhat stupid creatures that they are, a certain level of scorn for the cruel deities has developped over time; to that end, they no longer wish to return what few mineral energies that they have gathered to the earth, instead opting to give it to their fellow Ogres, usually one's direct children, at death. The consumption of mineral-rich Ogre flesh has become the norm with the emergence of the Sha-Taaug branch of the Krutarg religion.

A large party, some would call it an army, of ogres descended from the hills in the east during the Great Storm, and brutally sacked the city of Ari. Many blame the offshoot religion for this, and although no love is had from the humans for Krutarg or Krutarg faith in general, Sha-Taaug has been primarily blamed for this rash act. Retribution shall be swift, or so the Tierians in the south say.

E7 - Kenefah Hills and the Gurkish Plateau - Unsettled by recent Gurkish and even Urden migrations, the Kenefah launched several major raids into the Gurkish homelands in the south, forcing several Gurish tribes south towards Veskopes, and winning large gains in treasure and unsoiled slaves. Teinism in the Plateau saw a rise in followers, fearful, angry, paranoid or all three of the Kenefah Firists.

E7 - Teiden Valley - Many Gurkish settlers, attempting to settle down peacably, have started calling themselves Urden, perhaps in homage to Fort Urdine in the west, and its solid foundations in civilized culture.

E9 - Sephirean Cities - The Parinese farmers (from Parin), fed up with monopolizing Ranirric merchants, launched a daring raid. A wheat barge was sent down the Sephirod River, to Ranir. The intention was to raid the city from the barge and tow back upstream a shipment of riches for the farmers back home. A particularly overzealous raider, however, set a neighboring ship afire. Which set the next moored ship afire. Which set the docks afire.

Needless to say, although the farmers did not accomplish their goals exactly, having gotten no booty, they did put an end to the monopolizing Ranirric merchants. [0 points Eltain>Terrance.]

G7 - The Lavran town of Malani has truly reached maturity (for a Lavran settlement, which are nominally smaller) as the Horse trade jumpstarts Issith expansion south from Dasteah and Nolkis-na-Taren. Kare-Tanes, a town dug into the Obsidian Mountain, has prospered due to inter-cradle trading. Most Issith trade from the north funnels through this settlement (rather than the nasty human settlement of Shatali), but most Lavran trade funnels through Shatali, which has access to a much-preferred liquid road.

L1 - Kykkor Isles - Growing populations in the Kykkor Isles triggered a small into-village war. The tribute of Koena, the loser, has boosted Kykkor into a proper city, with ports and all. This caused even further population growth as food sources were centralized and stored in ever-larger granaries.

Spoiler OOC :

Mod's choice:
+4 nutranurse
+4 merciary
-2 Lord of Elves
-2 Lord of Elves

Totals: (Includes all above additions.)

29 points: TerrisH
25 points: merciary
24 points: nutranurse (no orders 2)
21 point: Optical
19 point: Gem Hound
19 point: Terrance888 (no orders 1)
22 points: Eltain

OOCs:

Boundless and Lord of Elves have not bothered to say 'bank my points' for 3 turns, so I am dividing their points up amongst their fellow players. Should they wish to join again, they may do so. Likewise, should a player fail to send orders for the NES proper for 3 turns, they will be kicked from their nation, and disallowed to join as that nation again. 'missed orders' from this phase will not carry over into the next. Once again points do not carry over either.

All!: Next turn is turn II:IX! That means we will all be getting +2d10 points! Quite a lot! Combined with this turn's gains from Boundless and Lor of Elves, we are in for a jam-packed finale with turn II:X. May the odds be ever in your favor.

Additionally, we will have a short hiatus after turn II:X, mainly because it is a very busy time of year for me.

From now on, two standard messeges I give each turn, which are basically rules:

1: If you do not name settlement you place within a turn of placing them, I either A: give the priviledge of doing so away to someone I think appropriate, or B: name them myself., they don't get placed! I'm tired of naming settlements for you slackers.

2: To encourage selfless world-building, each time you add to an area that is not considered (by me) to be 'yours', you get +1 point. You can add to elsewhere at the same time as adding to 'yours', and you will still get the point. This also to discourage some people who have added to their own area far too much for my own liking

A leetle glimpse at the map:
Spoiler :

Order Cutoff Friday, Next Update Sunday

Poll: What do people think of the map being Bee-ah-oo-tee-full like nutranurse's Fine NES maps? It'd be the same as this, except it'd have pretty mountains, forests, rivers, settlements, et cetera. Are people attached to this, would they want an improvement, or do they even care?

Top Bottom