Welcome New Members

Greetings Everyone!
Decided to drop in and join.
The main reason is to find a cure for my steam Civ5 crashing,losing my installed "mods from steam and see what options I have to play the game and get mods w\o the need for the steam site.
LTR
GFG

Hi everyone, I just joined after lurking for a while. I have Civ IV, but it might as well be all in Klingon for me as I have NO clue how to get most anything to work.
Obviously it does work for so many of you, so it is nice to see how sucessful this game is.
I am completely lost... I tell my wife... OH YEAH... it is so much fun... she bought it for me for Xmas a year ago... I just dont let her see me actually play it as I just load it up... watch the intro move a couple of squares... die unceremoniously... and put it away again.
I cant break her heart and tell her I have got absolutely NO where in 12 months. Maybe if I keep cruising through this forum I will get a few clues. I doubt it tho... if after a year I havent progressed past a couple of moves... I am pretty much resigned to accepting this is it for me :(

Start on a lower level, and play more ;).
It's no shame to begin on settler, and it's no shame to get crushed at the beginning.
I lost all my first games in every Civ part, and while I'm not the greatest player, I'm also certainly not the worst. I've managed to win, and get up 2 levels. Took some time, and if you have it too, then you'll also win at some point ;).

Iiman, you should check out Sisiutil's All Leader Challenger Series. He starts out on level Prince but some of the concepts are the same. Sisiutil also has a beginner's guide that is a good read and I've learned quite a bit from his work. Hope this helps!

Now I'm thinking I should try a more recent version, to see where it is going. I'm not sure which one to get, though...

Bonjorno my Spanish Amigo!

Let me give you some advice, based on my own opinion:

Considering we're already nearly at the final stages of what we Civvies like to call the information age and approaching the unraveling of the first mysterious future techs... Why don't you just skip over a few oldies (though goodies!) and jump right into the latest version.
You might like to get all the DLCs as well as the Gods and Kings expansion right away, because why bother playing an under-dressed game while it has already seen so many great improvements, which are well worth every penny spent to acquire them.

And thanks for standing out as the only person I didn't already know before I joined this forum, who read and complimented me on my introductory tale. (at least as far as I am aware of...)

Here are some smiley's playing you're favorite tune to show you my gratitude: :band:

Bendigo a mi amigo!

PS. reading through some of the posts I can't seem to shake the feeling that by being busy doing millions of other things that made me enjoy the time from my teens to my tweens, I feel like I missed out on the one version of civ that many people consider it as the greatest of them all... oh well, no use reminiscing on what might have been I guess ;) (for those of who paid a little less attention than I assumed you had while writing this Post Scriptum... I was referring off course to version number three)

Hello, I am fairly recent member of this forums, and only had civ 5 for quite a bit. I really enjoy the game and what to play with other like-minded people and get tips how to do it better.

Hey everyone, name's Christian and I've been a long time lurker in the Civ 5 strategy forum and just joined to get involved. Recently made the jump from King to Emperor and am contemplating a move to Immortal.

Hello folks! My name is tony and I'm addicted to Civ...been lurking on this wonderful site since CivIII came out. I can't express enough how much I've benefited from all the amazing content found here, so Big Hardy Thank You acompanies my greetings!

About me: mild mannered pizza guy in nashvegas.

Hello, I am SpartanDoesAcid...
That's it.
No point in reading any further so you should just stop now...
Gone yet?
Good because I lied.
I am SpartanDoesAcid and I have played Civ5 for some time and am pretty much addicted. I've seen some of the forum and I really like it, it has alot of people and I think it's something I would like to be a part of. See this post? Awful I know.

Ian here in Portland, OR. Every so often, I've had questions the instruction manual can't answer, and so I'm glad I found this forum (or, rather, "these fora").

One question: I've only ever played at Chieftain level, and thus my victories have only been histograph, dominance & conquest. I've tried for a cultural victory, but the game hasn't lasted long enough. (I could probably do it by limiting my number of cities, or focusing all my culture in one city, I guess.) Am I correct that the other types of victories become more likely at higher levels?

greetings all.
new man here.so new in fact ive yet to play any civ game!
if this isnt the place to ask i'll post elsewhere.
so,how do i get the full civ experience? do i buy all the games or are some better than others?

im looking for a game i can immerse myself in and from all reports,civ may be it so im asking the veterans around here,whats the best way for me to proceed? cheers

I tried to update Colonization on Steam. The download proceeded normally but when I tried to start the updated game the icon appeared briefly in the Dock and then shut down. I'm playing on an iMac with Snow Leopard.

After a couple more tries I reloaded my original Colonization file which starts and plays as it always did.

Has anyone else successfully used this Colonization update from Steam on a Mac?

Well, hello there! I've been a fan of this type of game since Empire Deluxe. Then Civ1 came out, and I lent my copy to a friend and he never gave it back, so I didn't actually learn the game until Civ2. Since then I've bought every version.

However, 5 has sat on my hard drive for two years, because of life, and because of all the negativity I heard about it.

I fired it up a couple days ago and have done little else since. Holy mackerel, to me it's got the same Civ "draw" to it, if not moreso. I don't know what everyone's problems are, and I don't care, maybe I'll find out myself, but until then, I am hooked all over again, for the fifth--- well, fourth (dude still hasn't returned it) time...

Hey everyone, I came across this site while looking for advice/answers a few weeks ago and have been for the most part really enjoying it. It satisfies my cravings for Civ when I'm not at my computer :)

I bought Civ 5 a few weeks ago, and yesterday just installed G&K. I know, I'm pretty late to the game compared to most of you, but I'm so glad I got it. I was addicted to Civilization on the SNES way back in the day, as well as many other strategy/RTS games for consoles and PC (Dune, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Nobunaga's Ambition, Liberty or Death, PTO, Command & Conquer, Warcraft, Starcraft). For the past 5 years I've been on an MMORPG kick (WoW, Lotro, and GW2), but was getting pretty burnt out on those.

This game has far exceeded my expectations, when I walked into Best Buy with a birthday gift card just wanting to get something different to entertain me for a bit until I was ready to go back to my MMO "life." My wife and I just had our first baby girl almost a year ago, so the MMO's demand for constant attention was starting to conflict with my duties as a responsible parent ("honey, the baby is trying to stick her fingers in the outlet again!" "Hold on, we're in the middle of a boss fight and I'm the healer!"). I love how I can stop at any time no matter what point in the game I'm at (although sometimes I just "have" to see what Russia's next unit moves are; die Catherine!). :D

My most recent games I'm playing is on Emperor difficulty, and after losing my first three I've won three in a row, with my last and most challenging win as Rome on standard map/continents/standard speed. I just started my first G&K game last night with Ethiopia, but I knocked down the difficulty to King so I could have a little breathing room to learn the new features. I did bump up the map size to large though for a little added competition. My goal is to play through every civ once, increasing the difficulty with each win in the hopes of one day conquering the Deity level on a huge map (hey a guy can dream, right)? :lol:

Thanks in advance for all of the helpful advice, and I'm looking forward to some great discussions. :)

Hi Guys
I am new to this site but have played all Sid's games since atri 520st, and iam here looking for away to get a message accross to those involved in keeping up with great game play. Maybe Sid himself, I have started playing Assassin 3. But Could not believe how good the sea and ship moved and Ihave been in dream mode ever since wishing someone would re- do PIRATE's using the new game engins, but with Sid's eye for the Sim side of things, Like biulding up towns the option to trade. Unfortunatley assassins falls well short of any time at sea. The forests and towns are really cool, but the assassins game is more like mass murder then assassin. maybe some of you will tell me where i should of posted this sorry if its wrong. As a single -hande sailor I know how things feel at sea the ship moves and feel right , when a gust of wing heels the ship.

Hello, all!

Just joined the forum. Used to play a ton of Civ when I was a kid and in high school (original Civ, original Colonization, and Civ 3). Because my undergrad is over and a little thing called Cancer struck, I've returned to Civ 3 and have been refining my skills lately. Chemotherapy has a way of limiting your capabilities, so you fill the time with what you can. I'm a history/culture nut, a musician/songwriter (the professional kind), and I have a love of languages and linguistics. I also play the Colonization remake on occasion and am a huge fan of some of these additional Civ 3 scenarios that have been put together by fellow members on this site! Feel free to message me if you'd like to talk about anything Civ-related (or not Civ-related). I'm sure I'll be spending quite a bit of time on this forum in the weeks to come.

"Crescit sub pondere virtus."

Top Bottom