History questions not worth their own thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't mean to suggest that all Turkic peoples are inherently resistant to assimilation. I really just meant to focus on the Rum Turks, the Ottomans, and other Turks in Anatolia. I'm aware that the vast majority of other originally nomadic steppe peoples assimilated (with the possible exception of the Magyars, who still have their language and a distinct culture and have assimilated other groups in the past. Compare with, say, the Cumans, a Turkic people who were totally assimilated). But I'm just curious why the Anatolian Turks of all these peoples successfully transformed into a sedentary group that preserved its language, adapted its culture, and assimilated other groups when the historical trend is for these kinds of nomads to settle down and become the assimilated.

And does anyone know anything about the Catalan Company?
I mean, did it preserve its language? Considering the state of modern Turkish - and considering how Turkish itself was not frequently employed by the Ottoman state - I'm not sure that we can say that. Look at the difference between modern Turkish and the various Turkoman languages. Ostensibly, they all developed from a more or less common Old Turkish source, but they've become different, sometimes not even mutually intelligible languages, and surely that's down to the places that each of those languages developed in and the other languages in common use in those areas.

Same with cultural adaptation, to an extent. Can you really tell whether some cultural Thing (ignoring the problems with defining salient, unique, and generalizable cultural characteristics) came about because of X "external"/"foreign"/whatever pressure or because of Y "internal"/"domestic"/whatever development, or some combination of multiple factors, or something? I mean, anthropologists have been at this for ages and there are still a lot of extremely unsatisfactory answers for these questions. That's the strength and weakness of cultural studies over the last thirty-odd years: the recognition that this sort of thing is even less cut and dried than most history (and most history is very much not cut and dried), which is both absolutely correct and infuriatingly vague because it gets in the way of making definite conclusions.

In any event, the line between assimilator culture and assimilatee culture isn't exactly as well defined as I think that you think it is.

If you're looking for a reason for what you refer to as the success of the Anatolian Turks, perhaps it's as simple as political contingency. On the face of it, the creation of the Selçuk empire was a wildly improbable event. Its fragmentation into successor states that mostly managed to retain their independence was also improbable. If either one of those things failed to happen, the entire notion of Turkish Anatolia would be utterly stillborn. Searching for big, overarching, sweeping macrohistorical forces behind these events seems silly to me when none of it might have happened had some military-political coinflips turned up heads instead of tails.

I mean, did it preserve its language? Considering the state of modern Turkish - and considering how Turkish itself was not frequently employed by the Ottoman state - I'm not sure that we can say that. Look at the difference between modern Turkish and the various Turkoman languages. Ostensibly, they all developed from a more or less common Old Turkish source, but they've become different, sometimes not even mutually intelligible languages, and surely that's down to the places that each of those languages developed in and the other languages in common use in those areas.

Same with cultural adaptation, to an extent. Can you really tell whether some cultural Thing (ignoring the problems with defining salient, unique, and generalizable cultural characteristics) came about because of X "external"/"foreign"/whatever pressure or because of Y "internal"/"domestic"/whatever development, or some combination of multiple factors, or something? I mean, anthropologists have been at this for ages and there are still a lot of extremely unsatisfactory answers for these questions. That's the strength and weakness of cultural studies over the last thirty-odd years: the recognition that this sort of thing is even less cut and dried than most history (and most history is very much not cut and dried), which is both absolutely correct and infuriatingly vague because it gets in the way of making definite conclusions.

In any event, the line between assimilator culture and assimilatee culture isn't exactly as well defined as I think that you think it is.

If you're looking for a reason for what you refer to as the success of the Anatolian Turks, perhaps it's as simple as political contingency. On the face of it, the creation of the Selçuk empire was a wildly improbable event. Its fragmentation into successor states that mostly managed to retain their independence was also improbable. If either one of those things failed to happen, the entire notion of Turkish Anatolia would be utterly stillborn. Searching for big, overarching, sweeping macrohistorical forces behind these events seems silly to me when none of it might have happened had some military-political coinflips turned up heads instead of tails.
Turkish has changed, obviously. All languages do that. I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. But it's still spoken, unlike, say, Cuman, or Manchu (aside from a handful of old people), or Jurchen, or Tabgach. The Turks picked up a lot from other regional cultures. But they didn't disappear into those cultures in the way the other nomads I mentioned did. After all, few Chinese ever adopted Manchu dress, language, or other cultural things wholesale the way the Manchus ditched their language and other parts of culture for Chinese ways. Again, I'm not saying that there's always a totally obvious difference between assimilator and assimilatee. But Turkish culture and especially language adapted, while Cuman, Jurchen, and other languages flat-out disappeared as the Cumans became Europeans of various stripes and the Jurchens became Chinese.

I'm not looking for sweeping macrohistorical answers, either. If the best answer we have for the survival and spread of Turkish culture is military and political luck, that's good enough for me. I'm just curious as to why their language and culture didn't disappear the way the other cultures I mentioned did, because there seem to be a lot of nomadic peoples who conquer settled populations, settle down, and become absorbed totally by their subject population (Jurchen, Manchu, Khitan to an extent, Tabgach, etc), and not a whole lot of the other way around.

All I know comes from my miniatures background. In quite a few Ancient/Medieval miniatures rules systems almughavars, who were used extensively by the Catalan Company, are very highly rated shock troops.

Yeah, searching for info on them brings up a lot of miniatures stuff. From what little I've read on them the Almogavars were absolutely ferocious knight-killing machines, despite their light equipment. Not sure how accurate this article is, but it mentions familiar stories of Almogavars slaughtering enemies left and right, like a captured Almogavar easily defeating a knight in a duel, another striking a knight with his coltell (a cross between a knife and a meat cleaver, it seems) with a blow that chopped off the knight's leg and dug into his horse. But I've also read the Company was something like 50% cavalry. I still don't get how these guys were so deadly.

You keep saying "I didn't mean to suggest..." as though you think I'm hectoring you for some sort of egregious failure, Phrossack. Relax, dude.
And does anyone know anything about the Catalan Company?
Oh, yeah, that question. Meant to answer that. Try looking at Mark Bartusis' The Late Byzantine Army. I'm almost certain he talks about the Catalan Company there. I can't remember, though, so it might just be an overview in terms of the ways in which the state sourced military manpower.

Unfortunately, medieval history doesn't really interest me that much, so I can't really say more. :(

You keep saying "I didn't mean to suggest..." as though you think I'm hectoring you for some sort of egregious failure, Phrossack. Relax, dude.
Sorry, just wanted to avoid making firm, bold, sweeping, easily disproved claims that would make me look like a fool. I've seen a lot of people do that here and get nailed here for it, so I'm overly cautious now about my wording.:lol:
Oh, yeah, that question. Meant to answer that. Try looking at Mark Bartusis' The Late Byzantine Army. I'm almost certain he talks about the Catalan Company there. I can't remember, though, so it might just be an overview in terms of the ways in which the state sourced military manpower.

Unfortunately, medieval history doesn't really interest me that much, so I can't really say more. :(
Thanks, I might give it a look. Some of the sources cited on Wiki's article look pretty useful, too.

Interestingly, the Catalans caused so much damage to the Empire that the word "Catalan" was apparently a Greek insult until the 19th century. And some time after they had done their damage, another bunch of Iberian mercs, the Navarrese Company, showed up and conquered Albania for some French dude.

Now that we're talking about Turks, I do have a question - exactly how Romanized were the Turks? I've heard some claim the Ottomans were basically just Muslim Byzantines - how true would that be? Were the Turks and the ERE already extremely similar in culture, military, politics, etc. by the time of the conquest of Constantinople, or did the Turks assimilate more so afterwards?

Yeah, searching for info on them brings up a lot of miniatures stuff. From what little I've read on them the Almogavars were absolutely ferocious knight-killing machines, despite their light equipment. Not sure how accurate this article is, but it mentions familiar stories of Almogavars slaughtering enemies left and right, like a captured Almogavar easily defeating a knight in a duel, another striking a knight with his coltell (a cross between a knife and a meat cleaver, it seems) with a blow that chopped off the knight's leg and dug into his horse. But I've also read the Company was something like 50% cavalry. I still don't get how these guys were so deadly.

From what little I know, the almughavars were tough mountain men, highly motivated, and veterans of campaigns both in Iberia and during the Sicilian Vespers by the time they fought for the Catalan Company. This would have given them an advantage over most of the feudal/militia infantry their opponents would have been fielding. Being lightly armored foot with the wherewithal to actually take the fight to armored knights marks them as particularly ferocious.

It also appears that they utilized a similar fighting style to that used with such success by the Romans - throwing heavy javelins at their enemies just before making contact in a charge. At a time when the heavy horseman reigned supreme, infantry had to largely fight in tight formations, wielding long, thrusting spears in a more defensive manner. The Roman/almughavar tactic of bombardment/charge, coupled with general ferocity once in contact, was perfectly suited to destroying such formations. With their own cavalry cancelling out their opponents, the Catalan's almughavar shock tactics may have been enough to guarantee them the day.

I'm afraid I don't follow.

that would be the explaination if you were to look at it in totally conspiratorial terms . Have checked the Wikipedia , ı see they were involved in all sorts of feuds with the Locals (meaning the Byzantinian Empire and various regional potentates ) and they took advantage of the fragmentalization of the times . To be defeated by an another mercenary band .

for the Anatolian thing allow me to read the thread , my fame in CFC only comes with me saying the unprovable and the unnegatable , though it's sure to be something similar with Catalan experience , only on a larger scale .

Turkish has changed, obviously. All languages do that. I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. But it's still spoken, unlike, say, Cuman, or Manchu (aside from a handful of old people), or Jurchen, or Tabgach. The Turks picked up a lot from other regional cultures. But they didn't disappear into those cultures in the way the other nomads I mentioned did. After all, few Chinese ever adopted Manchu dress, language, or other cultural things wholesale the way the Manchus ditched their language and other parts of culture for Chinese ways. Again, I'm not saying that there's always a totally obvious difference between assimilator and assimilatee. But Turkish culture and especially language adapted, while Cuman, Jurchen, and other languages flat-out disappeared as the Cumans became Europeans of various stripes and the Jurchens became Chinese.

Could something be said about Anatolia? After all, the Assyrians didn't necessarily assimilate into Hittite culture, the Persians didn't necessarily assimilate into Assyrian culture (although I'll concede I'm probably overstating my point since the Persians did adopt a lot of the Assyrian state and the cultural overlaps between these groups were many, plus, iirc, everyone basically ended up speaking Aramaic). My point was that the tendency of the region is to identify with the conquerors as much as anything else. That the region went from Roman or Greek to Turkish is just a testament to that continuing process.

The little I can remember about the Catalan Company was that -although they were mainly composed of experiences soldiers- their enemies were of a pretty poor quality. Unless I have the dates mixed up, both the Byzantine and Ottoman militaries were in pretty poor shape when the Catalans got frisky.

Now that we're talking about Turks, I do have a question - exactly how Romanized were the Turks? I've heard some claim the Ottomans were basically just Muslim Byzantines - how true would that be? Were the Turks and the ERE already extremely similar in culture, military, politics, etc. by the time of the conquest of Constantinople, or did the Turks assimilate more so afterwards?

Eh, they started more arabic for sure. I think Mohammad said that the one who conquered Constantinople would be a great sultan or something so I guess there was more of a jihad spirit at first. (And considering this you probably don't want to be just like the guy you are warring against.)

But certainly the Byzantines had a very influential culture at the time, with many neighboring states modelling themselves on Byzantium. So, I would say they were not Muslim Byzantines but very heavily influenced by Byzantium and their sultans tended to style themselves as a continuation of the emperor.

allow me to remind that ı do rant a lot ; and with that specific context anything before the there-abouts of 1900 is pre-history for me , even the period of myths and fables . As such what follows is not a r16 thing but an hypothesis of sorts . So , how did Anatolia become and stay Turkish ?

it's simple . The Byzantinians were the superpower of the day .

as such it was a terrible shock when 1071 happened . Which wouldn't have -if Roman Diyojen hadn't pushed it . There is this unavoidable thing that the Romans were superlatively influential , at least in the parts of the world they had known . You didn't mess with them too much , because the way they were organized and the vast reach of their empire made it inevitable that they would recover from whatever stunning defeat you had inflicted on them and come back , packing enough hate and woe that you would regret that you were ever born .

one such come-back is actually counted as a miracle of Muhammed . The Sassanids had been drumming the Byzantinians quite a bit when he declared there was but One God . To the pagans in some Arabian watering hole , to people who had no recourse but travelling afar to trade who were seeing it with their own eyes that Monotheism was likely to go under in their life-spans . Romans came back , spectacularly . Made a quite an impression among the Arabs , enough to increase the conversions . Of course , the said Roman success had substantially weakened the Sassanids ; Ömer's invasion went like some breeze . Which impressed even more people . Especially quite a bit among the Arabian population of Byzantium . As such when Yarmouk went to the Muslims the said population saw no trouble in conversion and the Islamic State got a "natural" border along the mountainous areas in our South . "Natural" in that the peoples of Middle Eastern origins had been lost one way or another to Byzantium , East Rome , whatever you want to name it ; yet the "Europeans"
(along the border-line and beyond) had no inclination to follow suit . Especially in view of the fact that the Islamic State quickly lost the "Revolutionary" leanings and became a yet another empire . Now , ı have always liked The Message by Lutfi Akad . Anthony Quinn plays Hamza , Prophet's Uncle and a foremost warrior and Irene Papas is Hind , daughter of a noble of Mekke killed at the hands of Hamza in the first Battle of Islam . Burning with a desire of vengeance she enlists a slave . Called "Savage" and this is actually real history , the slave kills Hamza in the second battle and Hind rips open Hamza's body to eat his liver . That family was pardoned when Mekke fell ; "Full" Justice belonging to God Alone . And the events would make the said family (and the entire power structure around them) influential soon enough . Following the news from Syria of 2013 ?

quite the reason why a huge swath along the borderline was a no-man's land with a multitude of raids on both sides destroying anything and everything . That 'no inclination to follow suit' thing . Lots of campaigns , see-saw battles and in the end of some three or four centuries , the rule of thumb : The Rum and the Muslims could not defeat each other ... When Turkish nomads became a factor in the Middle East they too learned the staying power of Rome / the New Rome . As such Alparslan would have no fear of Romans when he sent raiding parties into Anatolia and be extremely scared of actually facing the Romans in a fight-to-death battle . Diyojen for his part decided he could walk on water and something and decided to solve the troubles for once and all . He lost . ı have explained that by the "fact" that we had AT-ATs in action , but then everybody knows this is a joke ...

already mentioned in the thread that the Turks had been really involved in Persia for quite a while . Alparslan's "PM" , Nizamülmülk might have been Persian himself and ı don't care anyhow . The thing is the entire Statesmanship experience would possibly be available , "Persians" fighting Greeks for some 14 centuries at the time and this was a gift from God . Not that it was expected that it would last .

the only intention for 1072 would have been pushing the "border" as far as practicable . Meanwhile hoping that the Romans would find themselves in trouble elsewhere with people encouraged by the disaster of Malazgirt . So that the Romans would be demanding revenge not from the victors of 1071 , but their sons .

the issue with Nomadic Empires is the "mobility" of its constituents in many ways . United almost only by the promise of easy loot , the nomads have to travel afar for animal feed in which they are likely to get into blows with anybody in sight for any tiny patch of pasture and aptly capable of joining some other authority whenever bothered by the Central Authority . Selçuks saw many profits in sending as many nomads as possible to Anatolia ... Which seems to be an ideal piece of land for the a nomadic existence . As reported in the relevant Osprey title .

now the luck part . Following immediately after Malazgirt and the luck therein . From time immemorial the human societies are stratified in certain ways , there are the leaders and the led . The led has to follow the leader or the leader will smash some heads . All the Europeans in Anatolia would have been ready to see the Turkish "invasion" as a temporary curse on them , unavoidable as their leaders were already fighting with each other over the spoils . And ı would have no doubt these Turks who gingerly went deeper and deeper into Anatolia included the unavoidable quota of thieves and rapists and murderers , but then at the time who wasn't any of those attributes quoted ? Yet then , the mankind is also capable of being good . And even if ı couldn't give you names , there would be decent people , honest people .

one decent / honest guy is feed for birds and wolves-as nobody will care for him and he will get wasted soon enough , two decent /honest guys is a sight , three decent /honest guys is some sight , four decent /honest guys becomes weird , five decent /honest guys is a case of "Oh my God!" , ten decent /honest guys makes an incredible weapon , and anything more than ten gives you an empire to last .

it's always easier to make a deal -in power sharing and stuff- for the newcomers in any area . The already existing power structure makes it far easier and cheaper to rule if it can be swayed . Meaning things tend to remain the same despite the supposed changes in the regime . And people tend to know this well . Our luck then , when these 10 and more decent / honest guys treated their new charges with integrity , honour , care , some Fear of God , some conscience , leniency for minor misdemenours and justifiable vengeance for major troubles and all that in stark contrast with their existing leaders . And to top this all , not turning people back for the ease of ruling them through their existing leaders . One strike , two strike and you are not out , since you got people's respect . Not even assimilating the people , you just treat them as human beings , equal of yourself , even if for the duration you might have to beat the hell out of them for order and stuff . In all probability some guys trying to make a power structure of their own . Doesn't matter , it becomes a fad , it becomes the norm , for the people are responding , for the Turks are better than the old masters and leaders . It than becomes another fad , with the leaders converting . For without becoming like "the Turk" , (though yet to be called the Devil Seed) they will become irrelevant . Meanwhile the nomads coming in small but none-the-less steady numbers see the "densely-populated-in-places" countryside and the respect already held by a few commanders ; they don't have to risk life and limb if they follow the status-quo and this is something they have seen to be possible in the other lands they been to .

in ten years time the Turks will make it to the Sea of Marmara . In another ten years , it will become obvious the Turk is here to stay . It becomes a huge threat to the sensibilities of the Church in far away lands . The Church was built on Rome , for Rome was the thing people respected even in the 11th Century . And here were some Turkish troublemakers first defeating "Rome" on the field , then stealing people's loyalty . Crusades to save the Europeans of Anatolia and finish what Diyojen started , which obviously was the thing to do , considering the Turks were now living on the shores of Marmara . Europe being minutes of rowing away in places ...

being saved didn't much suit the locals of Anatolia . For leaders it meant being replaced not by the feeble Turk whom they could surely kick out in a minute , but a swarm of locusts from the barbarian Europe . For the led , it simply proved the Turk was better , way better . Even better than the superpower they all prided themselves with . The Anadolu Selçuklu reeled but didn't break . Instead of being a foreign implant at best and hated as invaders by all means , they were the defenders of the people . Because people believed so , even when they didn't pray to Allah .

how serious is this ? Enough to get a specific action to cleanse the entire peninsula from such misguided people who defied the Church , in its both branches of post 1054 . And how serious was this second action ? Enough to get Tolkien model the Lord of the Rings on it . You are still reading a r16 post , there are places you shouldn't be alarmed or something ... Though this history magazine from the 1980s ı have somewhere still makes me feel the 1176 campaign's climax at a fort at a mountain pass was quite the Helm's Deep . Though , naturally we were the good guys ... We really were , with volunteers coming from the all lands of Islam to fight the looming extermination of all barring neither innocent nor guilty . And we took Minas Tirith in 1453 , finally .

is there scientific name or concept for this ? How about the melting pot , that unique American thing that takes people from all sorts of backgrounds and turn them into " English" of some kind , real useful at times when the home country feels threatened , twice in the 20th Century . So that a country with Germans being the most populous followed by the Irish -and the "Anglos" coming at only at the third place- thrashing Germany like once or twice ? No way , there is something called the American exceptionalism !

that the Americans did it too is proof enough that it's not exceptional at all .

we are Turks , even if our ancestors were Chinese , or Greeks , or Arabs , or of a thousand tribes that no longer exist .

and we come from Central Asia . Even if quite a few , even more than a few didn't and were the locals of their area . For we coming from Central Asia does not preclude the ones who didn't from being Turks . The reason people became Turks is that nobody forced them to and nobody denied them the "right" to be a Turk .

assuming these posts survive scrunity as a possible explanation of "Turkey" itself , what about the rest of the history ? When we appeared in Europe , circa 1350 , instead of 1100 due a global war or something with Mongols joining somewhat late , the Balkans were reportedly a wasteland , quite deserted . We advanced quick and -since the Orthodox Church had been so effective in gathering wealth- were so easy on the people . Church's holdings confiscated gave more than enough land to distribute . Including to the Turks brought over . ı was born in Bulgaria and ı know my ancestors were brought over in the 1450s from the environs of Konya , possibly the last residues of the Karamanlı . What if they were not ? Am a Turk , because ı am a Turk .

the retreat was long and bloody . We invaded a substantial portion of Europe and there were people when we invaded . They were still there when we left , in case we could leave . Ethnic cleansing was the norm against us , but then this could merely be a propaganda on us , to get us to think good about ourselves . Was it merely military prowess that got us there and the lack of the said prowess that caused us to get what we deserved ?

not clear , even for the Capital Letters , since it's 1900s something .

though it's deduction or induction - ı know it's got to be one of the two- to assume the survival of the Catalan Company was more due to political environment they conducted themselves than their prowess . Military success breeds imitation . ı think once Spanish ships were iced up in a river in Netherlands and the Dutch attacked on skates . An utter defeat and the Spaniards immediately raise skate troops and not one single chance to use them . But then there is so much victories and stuff , how to explain that ? With so few men .

1300s ... We were in Anatolia like a vase thrown to the wall and smashed into a hundred pieces . Byzantium , it was unlikely to recover with the global realisation that they were not super in the soft-power department let alone genuine military effectiveness . Would give a sinking ship feeling , every man for himself . Besides one should not be deceived by the maps , the lands might look similar the populations were not . 5000 men is a lot of men for the time . Especially considering they were likely to outnumber any proffessionals that the Turks or the Greeks could field against them as fractured in the tiny statelets they were ; if there had been enough of the locals , the Company wouldn't be hired . Maybe the non-proffessionals would swamp them ? But would any leader want civilians to get confidence to fight and defeat proffessionals ? As such the Company would have been tolerated for the duration .

confident about this , as ı have a much better example . The very one of the Yeniçeri force , which must have failed to win a single fight in the last century of its existance and yet hugely successful in thwarting any threats against it . To the extent that they were given preferential treatment in all cases . The only time real sugar was used in the Ottoman Empire ? At a time when it was hugely expensive and even the Sultan himself would have make do with honey or gum from the island of Sakız ? Once a year at the ceremony where they took an oath to serve the Sultan and the candies were for them alone .

with apologies in regards to the wall of text and partition . ı thought ı might link them to a particular thread later on , so felt they had to conform to the style over there .

When did zoos in Europe start resembling modern zoos today? I know in history there are examples of "zoos" ie in Carthaginian times and prior and in the Americas we have found royal aviaries for the Aztec and Maya and I am sure there were similar things in Asia, but when did the modern zoo really start to form?

When did zoos in Europe start resembling modern zoos today? I know in history there are examples of "zoos" ie in Carthaginian times and prior and in the Americas we have found royal aviaries for the Aztec and Maya and I am sure there were similar things in Asia, but when did the modern zoo really start to form?

Early 19th century. The London Zoo was established in 1826. In France, the Royal Menagerie was moved to the Jardin des Plantes and gradually evolved into a zoo (although it is still known as the Ménagerie du Jardin des plantes). Which of those became a bonafide zoo first is a matter of debate. The Philadelphia Zoo was the first true zoo in the US (despite the claims of the Central Park Zoo, which was more of a menagerie in its early days) and was established in 1874, although it was commissioned before the Civil War under the model of the two European zoos.

The Tiergarten Schönbrunn in Vienna has been around since 1752, but is another example of a royal menagerie that eventually evolved into a zoo in the 19th Century.

This is sort of a history/science hybrid, but why weren't there major deadly diseases developed in the Americas that would have had the effect of wiping out European settlers the same way European diseases had the effect of wiping out the natives? It's my understanding that major metropolises of the American continents such as Tenochtitlan were as populous or more populous than those found in Europe; it seems like it would have been a suitable location for an "Aztec Smallpox" to spring up and introduce itself to the Spanish conquistadors.

This is sort of a history/science hybrid, but why weren't there major deadly diseases developed in the Americas that would have had the effect of wiping out European settlers the same way European diseases had the effect of wiping out the natives? It's my understanding that major metropolises of the American continents such as Tenochtitlan were as populous or more populous than those found in Europe; it seems like it would have been a suitable location for an "Aztec Smallpox" to spring up and introduce itself to the Spanish conquistadors.

Less close interaction with domestic animals.

I don't want to be some sort of taker in this forum, just getting my question answer without answering, r16 already talk some detail about Muslim history from Rashidin Caliphate to Ottoman caliphate. I might also answer this question as far as I know.

There are huge different between ERE and Ottoman for sure from the unique social system of the Ottoman, the politics and law toward to its own muslim citizen and non muslim citizen, majority race or minority race, etc. we are talking about early Ottoman not in the time of Selim the Third or later on at the time when Ottoman becoming more nation state than a caliphate (after the appearances of the Genc Turk also).

The base of Ottoman jurisprudence and law is Islamic. It still reference to the time of Muhammad (saw) and the Guided caliph (Rashidin) also the living sunnah (tabiin etc). So you may see eventhough the main core law in the Caliphate was shariah law, but like any other Caliphate it still accommodate the minority law system to manage its own citizen, for example Christian have Christian court that been govern according to the bible, while the Jewish have Jews court that regulated in Torah-Talmudic tradition.

On the taxation also they not imposing high tax to the peoples unlike the Byzantium that they can lower or increase as they like, while the Ottoman employ zakat to the Muslim and jizyah or per-head tax that by quantity similar to zakat (zakat is like 2,5 percent of your income per year) and land tax or like poll tax it depending on how huge amount land you have (more varied can be more or less depend on quantity). By culture and tradition because they have a different economy, social and politic nature they also somehow result different nature than Byzantium. Which if I describe it, it will be a long description.

However, not all your point is wrong, there also Byzantium element that effect or been acculturated by the Ottoman, while the tradition or custom of the ruler in Rashidin time is more like a leader of NGO than a Monarch or Emperor in medieval time, take for example Umar Ibn Khatab he doesn't have palace or castle, he love to sleep under the tree like commoner or poor peoples.

Commoner or bureaucrats easily reach him for complain or discussion, in short he don't have distant to the peoples, some old lady stop him to give him a long nasihah or advice what he must do as a caliphate, while he just stand and listen. Some peoples say this is the very reason why the Rashidin caliph easily expose to assassination as 3 from 4 of them were assassinate, but I think these leader doesn't see death and been killed as a problem at all if you know their biography/shirah. They really don't care about that what they care is to make sure they don't been hold accountable for making injustice or we say it zulm to the peoples as they regard it as a big sin. If they been revive again, I think they will still doing the same things.

While in contras the custom of the noble in Abbassid caliphate been effected so much by the Persian custom, while the Ottoman been affected by the Byzantium they have this "untouchable" and "distant" between ruler and subject, unlike the culture of the early Caliphate . And after Rashidin caliphate, there element that been changed like the election of the new caliph who suppose to be elected by discussion or Shura, not by lineage, but the Ummayah (except Umar Ibn Abdul Aziz), Abbasiyah and Ottoman all of their Caliph were not elected by the ummah (peoples) unlike the Rashidin caliphate. But because of the bay'at of other muslim, which in Ottoman case they even get the bay'at even from Atjeh Sultanate, and the use of the shariah as the core of their law, all of the leader of the Ummayah, Abbasiyah and Ottoman are consider to be Amirul Mukminin (leader of the pious) or Caliph.

While the early Turkish peoples not really care about one must assimilate to Turkish culture or Turkish must assimilate to the land that their visit. They easily blend with the society, and they mix take and give with the culture that they visit, just look at Mughal or Ottoman for example.

Before the popularity of nation state Turks by nature are open base by my own observation that might be totally totally wrong, they seem not imposing their culture and custom like Manchu to China, or Japan to Korea (Hideyoshi period) nor their religion and believe. What happen to the Armenian or Kurdish, even the non Turkish muslim, it is happen after the birth of nationalism in Islamic world, that not been start by the Turkish but by the Arabs and Egyptian.

So how widespread was Christianity in Kingdom of Kongo after it was introduced by the Portuguese, and did it mix significantly with the local beliefs or retained its similarities with the Catholic church?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom