New NESes, ideas, development, etc

Wait, no, I just started doing that! :(

Start with the southern continent, then.

Oh cool I wasn't going to start until tonight so we haven't been redundant yet. :p

Last thing I did was making the northern vale more mountainous on your request. I'll just do some more mountain touchups and then segue to whatever coasts you haven't done yet.

So I was thinking of doing something like Grandkhan's second NES (The Rome one), but in space.

It would have 'jump gates' between solar systems to serve as additional points of control, and each planet would work as a province that the government can grant to different players and such. Moreover, I'm trying to work out a rudimentary supply and demand system that may or may not fail horribly.

Thoughts?

I would definitely be interested. How many star systems were you planning on putting on the map?

IIRC Immaculate did something vaguely similar a few years ago, you might want to look at that or ask him.

Immaculate actually did have a complex supply and demand system in his NES. You should definitely ask him.

Yn Ertanjos [Of the Fall of Njos]
Melo Unaieldan [An Alternate Account of the Fall of Njos]

Yn Raghir Jormvardn - The Saga of the Dragon Kings
I. Of the Houses of Men and the Waking Days

II. Of the Line of Varald and the Coming of Tyrath

Dramatis Personae

Njos - The fallen god who created mankind. Believed by the elves to be a god of darkness.
Varald - The first king of the eponymous House of Varald.
Eledan - The King of the Elves. Mentioned (as more of a heroic figure) in Golden Knight's tale of the Fall of Caladhros. This saga is loosely set after that one, as men awakened after elves.
Erngrym - Son of Varald, leader of the Varaldr and later High King of All Men, great in magical lore, and later the chiefest servant of Tyrath.
Tyrath - The Dragon King, Emperor of Arnval, so-called Son of Njos, and the greatest enemy of the gods of the elder days.

---

This is the tale of our people, before the world was changed.

First among men was Varald, who became King, and he was strong and wise in lore. He led the people of his House peacefully, and in the lands by the sea they prospered, building the cities of Ythun and Hraal.

To Varald then came Eledan the Bright, King of the Elves, leading a great army. So mighty was he that he seemed to shine with the light, for he had been chosen by the Elf-god to be his champion. And he came to Varald in his longhouse in Ythun. Spoke the Elf-king, Varald, kneel to the Lord of Light, whose name is Atal. For in your worship of his fallen brother who you call Njos, you curse our world with darkness, and this path will only lead you to despair.

And Varald drew his sword and replied, If I curse the world, it is a curse I and all my sons will bear, for I forsake not my creator. Though your spirit may soar at last to the sky, my blood will mingle with his bones. And he made to slay the Elf-king, but Eledan spoke a mighty word of power, and Varald was blinded by the light of Atal. And in that moment of helplessness, the King of the Elves struck down the King of Men, the first man of many to be slain by elven sword.

Then Eledan said, This place has become cursed by darkness. Let it burn as a sacrifice to the Lord of Light, and let any who remain burn with it. And so the Varaldn were driven from the lands of the sea, never to return, and their cities were entombed in ash. They fled to the west, across the mountains, led by Erngrym, son of Varald. And countless men of the Varaldn died of the cold and hunger before they would reach safety.

The Varaldn were pursued without respite from their birthplace by servants of Eledan bearing white swords and red flames. But in the high fells of the mountains, Erngrym heard the whisper of Njos, and he called down ice and stone to block the foe-elf's path. And the men of the Varaldn named Erngrym their savior, and he became the King of Men in his father's stead. And his sons were named Eior and Valdyr. At last the Varaldn came to a place they named Arnval, the Sacred Valley. Erngrym's visions had led him to the valley, and he told his people, Here, our fate and our doom shall be decided. This is to be our home.

Arnval was not the land of mist and forest from whence they had come. It was a broad valley, beautiful and green, upon which the sun shone warm and bright. Through it ran a great river, greater than any which remain in the world today, and this river they named Telnjos. Throughout the valley were great mountains of black stone which the men of Varald's House found cut clean and sheer, and they built longhouses no longer, but mighty towers of black stone. For thirty years the Varaldr lived in peace, their new kingdom secure under Erngrym king.

And their chiefest city was Arvø, where many red men, Aeodrn fleeing from Orcish battles, and even dwarves seeking respite from the Breach of Rhaud, came to shelter under the halls of Erngrym. And though Eledan gathered a great army to issue forth from the mountain passes, Erngrym called the storm, and even Eledan Elfking with all his craft could not dispel it.

So it came to pass that as Erngrym and the Varaldr waxed in power, even many of the Skald who had sworn fealty to the elves settled kingdoms on the borders of Arnval, and they did homage to Erngrym as High King of Men. Erngrym's kingdom became ever mightier as the strength of his body declined, and even in all his wisdom and lore, he began to fear death, for he knew as Varald did that no afterworld exists for the Children of Njos.

And in time, the power and wealth of this kingdom drew the gaze of a greater power.

On a moonless night he appeared in the Blackstone Hall, the greatest of the palaces of Erngrym, as the king passed judgment upon his people.

Tyrath came to them in the form of a man shrouded in red flame, for a greater dragon could take many shapes. His voice was the crackling of the fire and the whisper of the winter wind on the mountainside. I am of Njos, his first and greatest son, said Tyrath to Erngrym. I am a shard of his body, broken by the gods. Child of betrayal, our vengeance is foretold. Replied the High King of Man, I seek not vengeance, great spirit, only peace, as did my father.

And then Tyrath laughed, a sound beautiful and terrible as any there had ever heard. The Elves fear the Gift, and murdered your father in their fear. You fear the Gift. But I am of Njos. And Erngrym trembled then, for though he feared no god or enemy, he feared the Gift of Njos more than all things. Tyrath stepped forward, and the flame wreathed his form as wings of twilight spread forth. The Gift is mine to give, and mine to take. Kneel to me, aid in my vengeance, and I will give you what you desire.

And Erngrym said, All this I have foreseen since the day of my father's death. Then Erngrym and all his captains and elders knelt before Tyrath under the stars, and he placed upon Erngrym's forehead and those of his sons the Mark of Sjar, the Fatemark.

Even unto this very day, all those descended from Erngrym bear the Sjarmark upon their brows. They are known by many names: Fated Men, High Men, cunning men, magi. But they are also known as Doomed Men. For though the mark would grant them power, the ability to compel lesser men to their purpose and work mighty works, and even to delay the Gift of Njos to grant them long life and strength, the bearers of the Fatemark are compelled to forswear and oppose the gods and all their servants.

So would begin the Empire of the Godless, and the reign of the dragon king.

---

Notes: The House of Varald first arose somewhere near the coastline of the great eastern ocean, and then migrated to Arnval, which is located somewhere underneath what is now the inland sea. The greatest mountain ranges of Arnval are now the islands of the inland sea, this having occurred in a catastrophe which will come to pass in the next chapter or two.

As you can tell, this chapter focuses almost entirely on the House of Varald, with the Houses of Skald, Aeodr and Huol having their own peripheral sagas which only occasionally interact with this one.

Whew that was a long one. Been working on this for a while.

The work being put out for this NES keeps getting better and better and I look forward to when I can give prospective players a thread :p

Dude, make it a Star Wars Sith Empire NES.
The Sith Empire ignores things like "supply and demand". And "raw materials". And "industrial production". And "economy".

Right, space thing didn't work.

New idea: 1933 start.

As the moderator of a WW2 NES that lasted -- tempestuously and with varying degrees of player intelligence -- a magnificent three turns, I promise you WW2 is not as interesting a setting as you might first think.

I warn you that modding a NES with a massive world war takes far more patience and mod morale than you might first think. I speak from experience here. And I am inclined to agree with LoE, historical WWII is not the most interesting of settings.

Edit: I also wouldn't be so quick to abandon an idea just because of low enthusiasm here; most players don't check this thread regularly I think. Unless you have other reasons for doing so.

Top Bottom