New NESes, ideas, development, etc

Good. I hope others agree. It should be fairly easy to implement on top of pre-existing game mechanics if I feel the need to once the game starts. Expect this to be posted eventually. Still working out all the behind-the-scenes math and formulas and such, in addition to creating a world to play the game in.

Speaking about behind-the-scenes math, how involved do others get with their formulas and such? How do you make it easier on yourself so as not to get bogged down in a bunch of math each update?

So far my solution has been to use the functions available in google docs spreadsheet. They can at least preform the bulk amount of basic arithmetic needed for my formulas. However, as I add all the calculations for all the different formulas they are growing quite large and elaborate themselves. Any suggestions on this front? I want the smallest amount of time dedicated to the maintenance of these formulas without sacrificing the realism of them.

Interested in joining the NESPolitick when it goes up.

Also I have been toying with an idea of starting an American West NES where the game is more player driven than mod driven. Players will be able to create primarily a Lawman (Sheriff, US Marshal etc...) or a Gunslinger (Robbers, Gun for Hire etc...) though others could also be ranchers, bankers, merchants etc...

Other than the Lawman and Gunslinger, the other characters will be more about the business of running a ranch or store or bank, they will do transactions, they will do stories about doing their jobs etc..

Lawmen and Gunslingers would be more focused, they will get more detailed stats which will show what weapons they have on their person or horse. What type horse they have (Thoroughbred, Mustang, etc), skills (Accuracy, draw speed, etc), and will either roam the West (namely Texas, Oklahoma, and parts of New Mexico. Unless popular demand moves them elsewhere.) or reside in settlements they are sworn to protect.

Lawmen will be responsible to protect their towns by enacting and protecting laws, (No guns in city limits, no gambling, etc...) and they are to keep sharp eyes out for gunslingers trying to pull a fast one in their towns. They will have the benefit of other lawmen to rely on, deputies and the telegraph. For hardened gunslingers who have a high contract on their heads, usually a US Marshal or similar ranking lawmen would be in the area tracking them down.

Gunslingers are what made the West. Rebels, outcasts, undesirables, rogues, these men or women are feared around the West for their skills with a gun. They rob banks, stagecoaches, trains (when they come), or even outlying ranches. They murder, rape and pillage. But not all gunslingers are bad, they can even work as Bounty Hunters, the type that garners little respect from Lawmen but are good at what they do. Or a gunslinger could become a lawman. The possibilities are limitless.

The only groups where characters would not be allowed to create within are US Cavalry, Stagecoach, Express Riders, and Railroad engineers. But that is not to say you could work on a contract basis with any of these groups if they hire you. Merchants could get supply contracts with local forts, scouts could be hired by the Cavalry etc...

What do you guys think? Anything not here that you would like seen added or taken away. Criticism welcome.

The idea of an NES set in the Wild West would be interesting. Perhaps the Lawmen who make the law in towns and settlements have to try and maintain a balance between a crime-free town with strict laws and a carefree town that is a staple of gambling. Settlements that allow Gambling could grow faster and other factors such as discovery of gold could create Boom-towns as well. Maintaining law within a boom-town would be interesting in the fact that gunslingers and trouble-makers looking for a get-rich-quick scheme would converge on them, while Lawmen try to make them safe.

@Dot80 I agree with a NESpolitik, think it would be a good mix

@germanicus12 I think a wild west NES would be interesting, but I don't know what the goals of the game would be.

The idea of an NES set in the Wild West would be interesting. Perhaps the Lawmen who make the law in towns and settlements have to try and maintain a balance between a crime-free town with strict laws and a carefree town that is a staple of gambling. Settlements that allow Gambling could grow faster and other factors such as discovery of gold could create Boom-towns as well. Maintaining law within a boom-town would be interesting in the fact that gunslingers and trouble-makers looking for a get-rich-quick scheme would converge on them, while Lawmen try to make them safe.

@germanicus12 I think a wild west NES would be interesting, but I don't know what the goals of the game would be.

I agree and that was what I trying to get at. Thanks.

There is really no goals other than what the player sets for themselves. There is no way to win the NES. All you can hope is that you survive until old age. You can either become the most feared gunslinger in the West. Most respected Lawman. Anything you want.

frankly the most interesting people in the real Wild West were the prostitutes and the bankers

but yeah you guys go on talking about your John Wayne/Clint Eastwood gunslinger/lawman movie archetypes

frankly the most interesting people in the real Wild West were the prostitutes and the bankers

One group would have streets and government buildings named after them, and the other would get filthy rich.

but yeah you guys go on talking about your John Wayne/Clint Eastwood gunslinger/lawman movie archetypes

Frankly, the mot interesting people in the real Wild West were the Comancheros and similar subgroups.

The "Wild West" is a boring historical trope and you should feel boring

One group would have streets and government buildings named after them, and the other would get filthy rich.
good times were had by all, except the aboriginals but nobody cares about them
Frankly, the mot interesting people in the real Wild West were the Comancheros and similar subgroups.
if it's a subgroup that's because it couldn't muster up enough interestingness to be a fullgroup
I believe that was West Virginia.
also north carolinian soldiers sustained more casualties than the contingents from any other state in the confederacy

admittedly a huge chunk of those casualties were 'missing' because north carolinian soldiers also deserted more often than the contingents from any other state in the confederacy but still

If you take "welcoming with open arms" literally then your only real option is Kentucky.

If you take "welcoming with open arms" literally then your only real option is Kentucky.
well, the heartland campaign also happened

kentucky wasn't exactly as lousy with bushwhackers as missouri was but there were considerable partisan and traitor cavalry activities there during the war

What about Confederate Arizona/New Mexico? I was under the impression that fell to the Union before 1862 even started, although it obviously wasn't a state.

Top Bottom