History Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not arguing that civil wars are less brutal and regular wars moreso- the opposite, in fact- only noting that this is not necessarilly the case. The Wars of the Three Kingdoms are a case in point, because despite contemporary outrages, the First and Second English Civil Wars were relatively gentlemanly, especially compared to the Thirty Years War, but it only took a shift of some hundred miles West to produce atrocities comparable to anything in Germany.

That is true, but would you not consider the Thirty Years War to be itself a civil war, in the sense that it was fought between people who had considerable natural similarities to each other?

Well, that returns to the questionof how we distinguish intra-state and inter-state war, especially in the pre-modern period. Most of the polities participanting in the Thirty Years War were Germans and subjects of the Holy Roman Empire, so in that sense it could be called a civil war, but they also operated as autonomous principalities, and a large part of the conflict revolved around the exact relationship between prince and emperor.

In many ways, the point of the Thirty Years War was to decide whether or not it had been a civil war all along, and I suppose the "no" side came out as the marginal victors.

Just found out about a "6 Californias plan" going on in state government.

What would be the earliest time in American history that this could have been done by political referral, on a convincing basis? It wouldn't necessarily be due to the current stated reason (lack of proper representation), but for other reasons (economics, military governance, socio-cultural formation).

For California or any of the other states?

Plenty of the original 13 had lands in the west claimed that was partitioned into new territories and eventually new states. Massachusetts and Maine split in 1820 via a local convention and the Missouri Compromise. West Virginia is obviously a special case.

For California or any of the other states?

Plenty of the original 13 had lands in the west claimed that was partitioned into new territories and eventually new states. Massachusetts and Maine split in 1820 via a local convention and the Missouri Compromise. West Virginia is obviously a special case.

But usually there is some major external factor that allowed for it.

Most of the territory west of the appalachians was sold to teh Federal government to pay off debts and resolve territorial disputes.

Maine was in part added to compelte the Missouri Compromise.

West Virginia only exists because of Virginia's secession.

I seriously doubt that any states will be partitioned without some major event causing it.

Kentucky and Tennessee are the two best examples - taken from other states because that did not believe they www adequately represented.

and trust me , my mostly blue , green on the outside eyes see it well enough that we Turks are a genetic mix . Working that "You Racist" or "You got to see all your legends are false, you are from the Mediterranean not from Asia" is only helpful to those who are bent into eroding this whatever fanciful Turkishness into one more easier to digest and that in their dreams . This you can deduce from this Turkish "backlash" everybody seems to be wary of , without a single clue of actuality , possibility or power or whatever .

You knew that, just look at Novakart avatar, he is a Kurdish, but for me he look more Turkish than the anatolian Turkish. And if we define Turkish as ethnicity not determine by race, then the Kurdish must be a "Turk" who spoke Kurdish, so what with the discrimination? And your commentary regarding "Kurdish is unlike sunni Turk decent human" but only as "a weapon to be wield" really irritated me so much. I have many Kurdish best friends here, and many of the claim that thrown by the nationalist attaturkcu regarding the Kurdish is show why the Kurdish want to break free from Turkey. If there are anything that sharpen the tension between the Turkish and Kurdish, then it is the nationalist racist race supremacist attitude of some of the Turkish. If there are anything that heal the tension between Turks and Kurds, then for me it is the dindar Turks who open their arms to Kurdish as their brother, and I witness that. And we are in 21st century right now, most of the western civilization already abandon race crap quite far behind, while we Muslims already abandon it since the time of the prophet. So why now we hold this old junk so dearly? What with the inconsistency with the young turks westernisation? They are like stuck within 20th century westernisation and not update their data anymore.

with all this mind could that be possible because Turkey was the only Muslim country in the world that might have carried out a modernization ? Considering we alone didn't have London running our daily lifes with some Colonial Governor or equivalent in place . Or that we knew history and any modernization would be opposed or Petro the Mad as we call him started from banning beards and all and beheaded who didn't conform ? Seemed to work ? And your Turkish friends who know the truth in contrast to others who lie have no doubt pictures of thousands of people killed for wearing this Islamist Dress thing ? Millions of people even ?

There are a different things between westernisation and modernisation, forcing someone to wear western hat and execute them to death if they wear Islamic hat is not "modernisation", how can you advocate such horrible things, that is out of my mind. I really amaze how some of peoples appear to be a rabid anti western warrior and suffer with somekind megalomania syndrome while in other hand deep in their heart they suffer somekind of inferiority complex as they always try to duplicate every little unnecessary things and un-essential things that the western have, like wearing western hat, or ENFORCING western wedding custom and forbidding traditional Turkish custom for wedding, just prove how they misunderstand modernisation with being a western wannabe. And changing the alphabet from Arabic to Roman and now thanks to that tons of manuscript written in Ottoman language are hardly to be access. If you want to see a successful modernisation look at Japan, they not assimilating or force assimilating their population to the western tradition and custom, but they adopt their technology and positive ethics. Like standing in the line, that I see so lack within the so call "modernize" Muslims.

am pretty sure we will never agree on that with me saying it's a tradition and you declaring it to be a direct order from Allah . Nor to the thing that covering the head is what the West seems to think Islam is and whenever you call tradition you get shut up as an atheist oppressor of people . Will it turn out , ever , that the Islamists and their Western backers know Islam better than Allah ?

I can argue with that with a strong argument, but I will not do that, I don't want to tired peoples in this forum with religious debate. However by Hijab being a tradition, lets said not for the Muslims population but for the Allawi population in Turkey, it doesn't mean "modernisation" have right to forbid hijab. Or to forbid a woman who wear Hijab to enter university, or forbid the family member of the army to enter some special event because they are wearing hijab. That doesn't make any sense. Or even it doesn't make any sense to kill someone because they wearing traditional Islamic hat instead of wearing western hat. That is the most brutal reason ever for killing. I guess if the British take over Turkey there will be more freedom especially on religious expression in comparison with the force assimilation and miss leading modernisation that the young turks advocate.

Well, that returns to the questionof how we distinguish intra-state and inter-state war, especially in the pre-modern period. Most of the polities participanting in the Thirty Years War were Germans and subjects of the Holy Roman Empire, so in that sense it could be called a civil war, but they also operated as autonomous principalities, and a large part of the conflict revolved around the exact relationship between prince and emperor.

In many ways, the point of the Thirty Years War was to decide whether or not it had been a civil war all along, and I suppose the "no" side came out as the marginal victors.

Not really. The 30 Years War falls well before the civil war era. Wars were fought by mercenaries. Whether those mercenaries were (former) subjects of the HRE (like the Swiss) is rather irrelevant.

define "mercenary"

It's a question of motivation - I'm not sure where the line between Blackwater, the Gurkhas and the French Foreign Legion really is, to be honest.

It's a question of motivation - I'm not sure where the line between Blackwater, the Gurkhas and the French Foreign Legion really is, to be honest.
When I hear "it's a question of motivation" I think of Lt. Piloc's crew at the Farnel Research Facility, because I am a dork.

But yeah, that's the point. The soldiers of the Thirty Years' War fought for pay: okay, so do modern ones, from PMCs to formal state-based professional armies.

They often had no obvious geographical loyalty to the forces for whom they fought: well duh, the Thirty Years' War was an intrinsically messy civil war that didn't break down easily on geographical lines, and besides, how does that differ significantly from a newly naturalized formerly-Mexican immigrant serving in the US Army, or the Gurkha example that FP brought up?

They sometimes switched armies and commanders: rearming deserters has been a Thing for a long time, and you wouldn't say that the Wehrmacht was a "mercenary" force because it armed and supplied Vlasov's liberation fascist anti-Stalinist forces, would you?

Many of those soldiers of the Thirty Years' War fought for commanders that, after some fashion or other, claimed legitimacy either as a servant of the Emperor or as someone who fought 'for the German liberties'. They may have had plenty of opportunity to switch commanders as they saw fit but most of them, most of the time, stayed in the ranks, and often developed incredible amounts of loyalty to their commanders and to the causes that those commanders espoused. They fought for pay, sure, but it's really hard to find soldiers in history who deliberately opted to serve in a military with no expectation of compensation, and if you think that there aren't some people in modern national armies who joined for financial reasons, you're wrong.

Point is, "mercenary" is a very sticky concept, and it's unwise to make sweeping generalizations that draw a sharp dividing line between "what mercenaries are and were like" and "what non-mercenary soldiers are and were like".

You knew that, just look at Novakart avatar, he is a Kurdish, but for me he look more Turkish than the anatolian Turkish.

to me he looks like an American which goes all around on some company represantation , some salesman perhaps . ı don't exactly follow film stars but his avatar must be some dude recently in trouble for drug trade .

your commentary regarding "Kurdish is unlike sunni Turk decent human" but only as "a weapon to be wield" really irritated me so much.

the Turkish State Channels have people who advise /advised the Turkish Goverment who reach out to the Kurds every week and perhaps everyday that if they play with the new Turkey they can rule the Middle East for the next 500 years . We heard years and years of how they were unbeatable and stuff ... Regarding whether Kurds are supposed to be as decent as Turks you might first try to identify some of them who are ours and whether they are any different from us . Even if ı am just an wannabe with nothing that pertains to reality , ours remain ours without reminders or pressure . They have no problems with the Turks but then this is something that must be avoided at all costs considering its harmful effects on the "story" . Discrimination is a dangerous word , can easily come back to haunt , when the new-indiscriminating-masses start to impose this and that .

the nationalist attaturkcu regarding the Kurdish is show why the Kurdish want to break free from Turkey.

it's more related to Amerika being so much changing borders in the Middle East and people playing for that angle ; considering feodal outfits are so easy to buy ... Even if new Turkey's investments and similar pushing of this brilliant future increase the daily purchase price .

by the way , "nationalist attaturkcu" implies your keyboard must be an Arabic/English combination . Adding an USB keyboard to mine ı can write Nationalist Atatürkçü without a hitch .

If there are anything that sharpen the tension between the Turkish and Kurdish, then it is the nationalist racist race supremacist attitude of some of the Turkish. If there are anything that heal the tension between Turks and Kurds, then for me it is the dindar Turks who open their arms to Kurdish as their brother, and I witness that.

oh yes , it's got to be exactly so , considering even in the 1980s the centrifugal effects of the American plans for the Middle East was "supposed" to be countered by increased Islamization , even if Kurds do have a daily exposure to "Dindar" Arabs who have been fighting them for years now . Every time some El Kaide looking type gets brought to some hospital on some Turkish border town , locals try to storm to beat him , lynch even .

And we are in 21st century right now, most of the western civilization already abandon race crap quite far behind, while we Muslims already abandon it since the time of the prophet. So why now we hold this old junk so dearly? What with the inconsistency with the young turks westernisation? They are like stuck within 20th century westernisation and not update their data anymore.

when an example is made of the US , the likes of Saudis will be immediately about the little mistakes they have done in their interpretation of Islam . Will see the updates ...

There are a different things between westernisation and modernisation, forcing someone to wear western hat and execute them to death if they wear Islamic hat is not "modernisation", how can you advocate such horrible things, that is out of my mind.

the monsters game . Thought ı was representing the general idea of what was done how back then .

I really amaze how some of peoples appear to be a rabid anti western warrior and suffer with somekind megalomania syndrome while in other hand deep in their heart they suffer somekind of inferiority complex as they always try to duplicate every little unnecessary things and un-essential things that the western have, like wearing western hat, or ENFORCING western wedding custom and forbidding traditional Turkish custom for wedding, just prove how they misunderstand modernisation with being a western wannabe.

there is nothing that has ever stopped the Islamic wedding vows ; the paperwork just makes it possible that the divorced can claim something . Praying 5 times a day doesn't always make one to be fair .

am a Starfleet Admiral , being rapidly anti-Western comes with the service light-saber .

And changing the alphabet from Arabic to Roman and now thanks to that tons of manuscript written in Ottoman language are hardly to be access. If you want to see a successful modernisation look at Japan, they not assimilating or force assimilating their population to the western tradition and custom, but they adopt their technology and positive ethics. Like standing in the line, that I see so lack within the so call "modernize" Muslims.

typical canard aiming at the re-introduction of the Arabic Alphabet , to ease the introduction of a script for the Kurdish variety , so that the country can be divided into a Federation so that Barzani can improve his hold on his future realm . So that after the disasterous Civil War our new Arab masters can go around with signs they can read . Let's agree on English , shall we ? It will save up to 13 million lives , right ?

and that as if the new Turkey would read and learn from the Ottoman experience . It's not the Alphabet , it's the heart one puts to studying . If if was so impossible how do your Dindar Turks read the Kuran ? Don't tell me they can't because the Pharoah , Kemal the false prophet banned the letters and the Ezan . Sometime they were even born ?

standing in the line ...
now it must have been added to my "record" that when at the high school people would use go to the head of the line without waiting . ı complained about it to some Vice Principal who was inspecting the area at the moment . He advised me to do likewise , ı was at the 10th Grade with a year to graduate and looking so effeminate and obviously couldn't dare without getting raped or something . Took it as a personal insult when ı left the line and bought my lunch elsewhere . Called my mother to dress me down for more properly .

for the Muslims population but for the Allawi population in Turkey,

about half of Alevis identify themselves as Muslim , but then there are Muslims and other Muslims who can't be Muslims . The New Turkey will solve that too ...

forbid the family member of the army to enter some special event because they are wearing hijab.

and now that banning headscarves have been banned , the new Turkey is like numbah one ?

I guess if the British take over Turkey
overall force levels imply it will a regular show with America bearing the brunt of the fighting with Allies providing political support . This of course implies a proper Phantom Affair that will have destroyed the Greek potential . But let's not fool the CFC , it's the El Kaide which will gloriously destroy the remnants of Turkish uselessness that somehow survived the glorious Kurds .

Anita McNaught will be enough alone to destroy Turkey . Once again true to form , it took her only a day of reporting it was such a good thing that real bullets were not used ; in Hatay a 22 year old member of the Main Opposition was shot dead by unknown people . May the peak of her career be the time when hunkered in front of Downing 10 , she gets to report that the 37th AT-AT battalion has broken through at Crowley and now advancing on London .

check dictionary

You get 'soldiers motivated primarily by money, often not nationals of the parties involved in the conflict'. Which is rather unhelpful. It doesn't separate my mate Jack who joined the Army because he couldn't find a job elsewhere, the Gurkha who serves in the British Army, the Englishman who serves in the French Foreign Legion, the American who joins Blackwater and ships out to Iraq, an Irishman who joins the British Army, and men like Mike Hoare. Clearly, though, each of those fit in different places along the spectrum between 'honest patriotic citizen-soldier', if such a thing ever existed, and 'cash-obsessed mercenary'.

I was merely offering guidance to a rather redundant question. Mercenary armies were what you would have in 17th century Europe, especially in the 30 Years War. It wasn't until Louis XIV's army increase that army size started to become different - and this wasn't taken over by his adversaries. States weren't efficient enough to support any larger sort of army and even the wars as they were could cause a state to go bankcrupt (as happened with Spain in the 80 Years War). Mercenaries weren't "cash-obsessed", it was simply a way for some of Europe's inhabitants to eek out a living; if pay wasn't forthcoming, mutinies would occur - as they repeatedly did. In addition logistics was a problem: if you had an army on your territory you'd better supply it or else (whether it was yours or not).

Yes, my point - which Dachs made first and in more detail - is that you can't really make a practical distinction between the 'mercenary armies' of the Thirty Years War and early professional armies. Throughout the Middle Ages, European armies - particularly the English - employed a system whereby captains would privately raise and employ companies of full-time soldiers, and hire out their services to the monarch. You'd probably call those mercenaries, since they served because they were paid and only as long as they were. How are they different, though, from a professional army in which each soldier does the same, but still takes any opportunity that he can to take booty from his service, and still mutinies when he's not paid and fed? The distinction between 'mercenary armies' and 'national armies' isn't a helpful one, particularly given the strongly negative connotations of the word 'mercenary'. The Texan revolutionaries thought of all professional soldiers as mercenaries, and even today there are certain bodes - PMCs being the most obvious - who would hotly contest whether or not that word applies to them. Are you talking about the difference between standing armies and contingency forces?

to me he looks like an American which goes all around on some company represantation , some salesman perhaps . ı don't exactly follow film stars but his avatar must be some dude recently in trouble for drug trade .

:lol: like an american you say? you're indeed funny :) you always have this devil triangle that you always attribute to something that you consider to be "the enemy" or "the conspirator" of Turkish empire: America (imperialistic, conspirator), Kurdish (heathen, antagonistic, anti Turkish), and Arab and Saudi (Al Qaeda, Islamic conspirator, terrorist). So most of your argument can be deduce not far from this trinity, because you always put it in three different manifestation but have a single hive mind soul it is for (yani) to destroy the Turkish empire :)

Just look at his face and moustache, and go to Istanbul, you get thousands Turkish laik youth pop up exactly resemble to his "kurdish" avatar.

Regarding whether Kurds are supposed to be as decent as Turks you might first try to identify some of them who are ours and whether they are any different from us .

That exactly the problem is, you want to assimilate them to be unify into your standard of Turkish masses. I bet you also don't see more than half of Turkish population as a decent Turks. As they now more appeal to the diversity and multi layer cultural concept of nation, that oppose from Ataturk ideology that impose Turkish population to Americanize themselves, not in the terms of freedom of course but in the terms of western tradition like fashion, daily routine, fake secular impression, and all of the product of early 20 century. They are more focus to unify the public into one set of tradition, by eliminating any religious or traditional symbols, practice, value and custom that is indifferent with the grand culture that Ataturk set.

I mean that is the works of early 20th century modernist or orientalist. They try to eliminate what they afraid of "Islamic civilization" by force convert them and force assimilate them with the core western culture that they believe is the culminated culture. By totally win the hegemony upon other culture and assimilate it, they can gain the cultural victory.

While now the 21st century of western civilization already adapted their strategy. In opposition to modernist tendency to unfy all civilizations by westernising them (like Bernard Lewis or Hungtinton) postmodernism developed relativism as a strategy to manage diversity. That answer the Turkish Muslim have more freedom in western country regarding our religious expression few years back than in their own country, flock of students that want to practice their religion and custom, include also tradition like the Kurdish, go to Romania, Hungaria, German and England to escape the patronizing attitude and rabid Islamophobs of secular Turkish. On imposing what should they wear, or which language should they speech or shouldn't speech, and what should they belief, in the constitution. I just met with the government worker in Turkey few days ago, and he show me his beard, and he said "backthen before Erdogan, growing your beard is forbidden if you want to work in the government, now look I can grow my beard" I mean who gonna likes the Turkish who impose other Turkish? What kind of freedom is that, you don't even have right to grow your beard.

And now you telling me it is completely depend on what kind of Kurdish he is, we must examine him, and each aspects of him, both in appearance or in his belief if he fit or not to be call "a decent human being like common sunni Turks". R16, can you see how wrong your words are?

Even if ı am just an wannabe with nothing that pertains to reality , ours remain ours without reminders or pressure .

I hate to say that to you, I partly like you and your post, but what you're saying about Kurdish peoples quite hurting my feeling. I was thinking to delete that words, but however I cancel it, as I think also it is fit with not only for the many of Laik Turkish also to many western wannabe in many parts of Muslims country. They just took what is good and cool from the western (which is uncool for me) like going to party, drinking beer, wearing western clothes, acting like them, talking like them, their view regarding sexual taboo, just the most easy and lusty part of it, the most un-essential part. But they don't took the positive ethics of the western world like discipline, freedom of expression, freedom of religion, freedom of speech, their creativity, also their idealistic attitude toward their principle. That is why many of the Arabs wannabe western, they try to look westernise and modern but they just end up as laughing stock for the whole worlds. Just look at Ali G, one of the most fit parody of western wannabe. I have more respect to the Jews, they modernise themselves but they also doesn't assimilate their tradition and belief (their character) to the western tradition and belief, they remain unique as the way they are. Apart from my disgust attitude toward Zionism, but that is not connected with Jews as a race, that is a political issue. Jews get modernise but they still being Jews, they don't drink alcohol, Jews from Israel that goes to study to Romania mostly marry early without ashame of their tradition, they keep their appearance (include facial hair) and traditional custom without trying to modernise their fashion (what the hell that mean). And they totally don't care about the mockery of others regarding their custom. That also apply to the Japanese. And I think both can be consider successfully modernise themselves. But the secularist Muslims, they destroy their character and uniqueness, and try hard to be a copy of western, and imposing other to do the same because it is the only way toward salvation. While in other hand they becoming laughing stock for the rest of the world.

They have no problems with the Turks but then this is something that must be avoided at all costs considering its harmful effects on the "story" . Discrimination is a dangerous word , can easily come back to haunt , when the new-indiscriminating-masses start to impose this and that .

I don't agree with that, they just let the Muslims to express themselves, and let the western wannabe to be themselves also. Backthen either you a western wannabe or you are out of society, now there are more option. And this is exactly a copy of 21st century western society order, nothing so Islamic about it. Even though Islam advocate multi layers, multi culture, and multi religious society, they don't stop at tolerating the religious or ethnic minority, but they goes to accommodating the religious and ethnic minority (or majority) by facilitate them to have their own court that is settle and drive by their own custom. The Muslims are less paranoid with the alien entity within their civilization. The western are more paranoid. And the western wannabe is goes to the level of anti alien entity: submit to us, or you are not one of us.

by the way , "nationalist attaturkcu" implies your keyboard must be an Arabic/English combination . Adding an USB keyboard to mine ı can write Nationalist Atatürkçü without a hitch .

:lol: do you think I'm a saudi salafist infiltrator because I oppose to be westernise? :p I'm not arabs. And I think, I'm more alergic to Saudi regime more than you do R16. :lol:

oh yes , it's got to be exactly so , considering even in the 1980s the centrifugal effects of the American plans for the Middle East was "supposed" to be countered by increased Islamization , even if Kurds do have a daily exposure to "Dindar" Arabs who have been fighting them for years now . Every time some El Kaide looking type gets brought to some hospital on some Turkish border town , locals try to storm to beat him , lynch even .

"Al Qaeda" looking type get maul by ataturkcu masses is not a good things. It remind me of what happen backthen in 1965-1966 in Indonesia, whenever any person suspect to be a supporter of the commies they get killed and maul by the masses, including the Chinese, because China is communist country, and now what you express is exactly to what the masses in Indonesia do: Arab, have a long beard, their pants above the ankle=Al Qaeda type=maul them to death. Even EDL is more humanist than that.

This is exactly what happen in Istanbul during gezi park, a Hijabi woman walking with her baby, passing the demonstrator masses. They suspect her Hijab as a sign of "Erdogan supporter". They harass her, hit her in the public, and harass the baby until the baby suffer bruises. This is a typical quasi fascist masses, in Indonesia it was lead by patriotic quasi fascist group called Pemuda Pancasila, in Turkey it is the CHP ataturkcu, that have a rabid hatred on any Islamic symbols and custom as they related is as=anti-secularist, erdogan, islamist, Al Qaeda. This stereotype is more dangerous than the gun. How can you know that the maul person is an Alqaeda members? How can you endorse someone being maul just by the appearances without any proper investigation? R16, that is so wrong, I just hope you can see how wrong it is. Don't see others in the frame work of race or belief. Both Muslims or non Muslims, Arab or non Arabs, deserve justice and to be treat justly. This is what in Ottoman time called Adamiyyah, that is drawn from the Islamic fiqh of Hanafi Mahzab.

there is nothing that has ever stopped the Islamic wedding vows ; the paperwork just makes it possible that the divorced can claim something . Praying 5 times a day doesn't always make one to be fair .

I'm talking about the Turkish traditional custom been forbidded in early 20th century, and change with the "white dress" and "tuxedo" typical western wedding custom, and they force it as obligatory to be wear in wedding ceremony. I even so shame when I write this.

am a Starfleet Admiral , being rapidly anti-Western comes with the service light-saber .

hahaha, I hope you don't seize me for being US spy, Al Qaeda infiltrator and Kuridsh appreciator at the same time with your light saber Admiral R16 :D

typical canard aiming at the re-introduction of the Arabic Alphabet , to ease the introduction of a script for the Kurdish variety , so that the country can be divided into a Federation so that Barzani can improve his hold on his future realm . So that after the disasterous Civil War our new Arab masters can go around with signs they can read . Let's agree on English , shall we ? It will save up to 13 million lives , right ?

and that as if the new Turkey would read and learn from the Ottoman experience . It's not the Alphabet , it's the heart one puts to studying . If if was so impossible how do your Dindar Turks read the Kuran ? Don't tell me they can't because the Pharoah , Kemal the false prophet banned the letters and the Ezan . Sometime they were even born ?

Man, the premise that you make is not match with the conclusion. Arabic language is use by the Ottoman and Arabs, as Kanji also use by China and Japan. Japan doesn't keep his kanji than change it into romanji to confirm Chinese cultural domination or what so ever. It is more to appreciating their own history and value their own literature and achievement. I suppose to learn Persian and how to read Arabic to able to access Ottoman manuscript (edit: I also need to learn Ottoman language after that). But I gave up. I even hardly master Turkish and Arabic. And to add Persian and Ottoman language is just too much for me. And there are thousands manuscript that yet to be translate in Sulayman library, this is a huge lost.

now it must have been added to my "record" that when at the high school people would use go to the head of the line without waiting . ı complained about it to some Vice Principal who was inspecting the area at the moment . He advised me to do likewise , ı was at the 10th Grade with a year to graduate and looking so effeminate and obviously couldn't dare without getting raped or something . Took it as a personal insult when ı left the line and bought my lunch elsewhere . Called my mother to dress me down for more properly .

Yeah, a german girl in my language course experience the same things. My American friends (who was an ex marine that become a rabid anti US government policy, an atheist btw not a convert) see that she is unable to buy lunch for her because the line is govern by the law of the jungle. We try to come in to help her, but she refuse. Poor her really. And I several time being by pass when I waiting for the bus in Istanbul. I mean if they want to be modernise and duplicate the western start from this positive side like: standing in the line. Being western is not only about wearing Jeans, hats and drinking beer you know. I don't have any interest to be a westerner, but if one so lustfully want to be one, they must learn it comprehensively.

and now that banning headscarves have been banned , the new Turkey is like numbah one ?

Freedom always good you know, I don't want someone impose me to shave my beard, or impose my wife how to wear. That is silly.

overall force levels imply it will a regular show with America bearing the brunt of the fighting with Allies providing political support . This of course implies a proper Phantom Affair that will have destroyed the Greek potential . But let's not fool the CFC , it's the El Kaide which will gloriously destroy the remnants of Turkish uselessness that somehow survived the glorious Kurds .

Al Qaeda, Kurds and Amerika :) you can write a novel about it man with enough amount of greek salt to make it more tasty :p

Are you talking about the difference between standing armies and contingency forces?

I thought that was obvious; Louis XIVs army was so large (compared to its adversaries) precisely because it was a standing army. (That, ofcourse, also made it highly expensive and was probably the reason the example wasn't followed.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom