A Tryst with Destiny

Emperor Ajatshatru had left a legacy difficult to compare. All agreed that the new king Udayabhadra was not worthy of holding even a candle before his father and grandfather. His lavish tastes and penchant for extravagance would drive the coffers of Magadh near bankruptcy. Petitions from peasants and traders were turned down and the people mocked. There were stories of the king riding on his elephants through the streets of Pataliputra with his entourage, and capture any maiden that he would fancy and make her his thrall.

Most of his days were spent in his pet indulgence, with little interest in state craft. Perhaps it was for the best, for he had no understanding nor any skill that the task would require. This was a time, when the king only ruled in name, while his minister, Amatya Shishunaga held any real power. He would act to protect the people against the worst atrocities of the Emperor, while ensuring the realm stayed at peace and remained productive.

Projects initiated by the last emperor went on smoothly under his watch.

The Great temple of the holy trinity in Indraprasth :

Spoiler :

The training of the new legion of spearmen at Kashi :

Spoiler :

A new township in Vanga, where the river Ganga meets the ocean :

Spoiler :

Research in Mathematics progressed as well. Bharata, seemed to be standing on the pinnacle of world civilization.

On the surface, things seemed at peace, but this outward peace was a deception. Every son and daughter of Bharata knew, of the rot that was seeping in. Amatya Shishunaga was much loved for his work, and many yearned to see him become king, but the honourable minister knew his place. After Udayabhadra would come his first born son, and his first born after that. Shishunaga was not even related to the royal family, it was only his talent that had won him the position of an amatya of Magadh. But fate had other plans for the honour bound amatya.

The King's Council met in secrecy after the death of Emperor Ajatshatru, to discuss the future. It was in that fateful meeting that the council found itself split. The King's Council had seen its power decline over the years, replaced instead by the spiritual guidance of Buddhist monks and the influence of the Sangh centered around the Mahabodhi shrine of Pataliputra. And so to stem the decline, the acharyas of the King's Council hatched a plan. The plan was to overthrow King Udayabhadra, destroy the Haryanka dynasty and replace them with a new dynasty.

When the agenda was placed before them, Acharya Mukteshwar II and Acharya Dhrittiman were shocked with disgust ! "This is treason!" exclaimed Acharya Mukteshwar II, "I will not forsake my honor for these nefarious schemes!" Acharya Dhrittiman said "The emperor is our liege, even if we do not like him". Acharya Nagabhatta II reminded them of their duty, that it was not merely to the king, but to the realm itself. "My father of the same name saw a wonderful and beautiful nation develop. His expulsion from the council was a fright to many that we shall be ruled by a despotic unjust ruler. This did not happen but we live in an age where these newcomers pose a threat. The only way to keep the success of India as it is now is by overthrowing this dynasty and place Amatya Shishunaga on the throne!" so said Acharya Nagabhatta II.

The arguments went on for hours, at the conclusion of which the acharyas Nagabhatta II and Nanaji, resolved to work for the overthrow of this corrupt and incompetent king from Magadh. Whilst, Acharyas Dhrittiman and Mukteshwar II, resolved to fight against all those who scheme against the rightful emperor of Bharata.

The next morning, the rebellious councillors asked the king for an audience. There would be no response. As was always the case, the King was somewhere else, tending to his pet indulgences, this time he was hunting in the woods. Amatya Shishunaga was present in his stead to greet these councillors. Acharya Nagabhatta realized the opportunity that had presented itself and spoke, "We come with an ultimatum noble Amatya. We the esteemed councillors of the King of Magadh, have done our duty to the betterment of the realm since generations. But today, our realm stands on the edge of abyss. The new king who seats the throne, is an incompetent, hedonistic king not worthy of his office. Noble amatya, our duty is not only to the king, but to the betterment of the whole realm. For this, we present to you our ultimatum. We will not serve King Udayabhadra, for us, you Amatya Shishunaga, are the one we recognize as the rightful king. A respect won not by blood, but by virtue of your deeds."

It was something that Amatya Shishunaga had heard every city he visited, be it Takshashila or Varanasi or Indraprasth. Kshatriya and Vaishya, Shudra and Brahmin alike, all wanted him as their liege. It was a burden that has haunted him for over five years, the burden of expectations. Whenever he faced such talk, he would reply with the same answer "It would be against my dharma to stand against the rightful King. He has the blood of King Haryanka and king Bimbisar in him, not me. It is on my honor as Amatya to the King Emperor of Magadh, that I must only serve the king, dutifully as I would serve the realm". Yet this time, the King sat silently on the throne clenching his fist tightly. "I... Amatya Shishunag... accept your resignations, in the name of King Udayabhadra, the first of his name, the rightful King of Magadh, and the overlord of Bharata". Acharya Nagabhatta II understood the internal conflict in the amatya's mind, with a bow he and Acharya Nanaji both left the court.

The acharyas Mukteshwar II and Dhrittiman, were not ignorant of what was happening before them. The resignation of the rebellious councillors and the Amatya Shishunag's silence seemed to indicate an ominous turn of events. They approached the King, and sought to warn him against the impending conspiracy. The King having been drunk in wine the night before, could barely stay awake and understand what the Acharyas were trying to tell them. Half asleep and half awake King Udayabhadra said "let Amatya Shishunag handle it" . From this time, the Acharyas realized the defense of the dynasty would have to be taken in their own hands.

The imperial scribe whose responsibility it was to lay his seal on every order of the King, was a loyal follower of Acharya Dhrittiman, to whom he owed his position in the palace. The Acharyas demanded of him, that an order be written and a seal be made in the name of the King. The order is to be delivered to the captain of the guards. The Acharyas dictated the scribe and he wrote.

"By the order of King Udayabhadra, first of his name, King Emperor of Magadh and overlord of Bharata. I command that Amatya Shishunaga be stripped of his post and imprisoned for the crime of treason against his majesty the Emperor Udayabhadra. It is also ordered, that the former Acharyas of the King's Council, the brahmin Nagabhatta II, and the lowborn shudra Nanaji be imprisoned for the offense of inciting rebellion against the King Emperor, and abusing the powers of the office of the King's Council

With this, the Acharyas had shot the first strike of a bloody rebellion.

I say we run away, go to a place where there are many sympathizers for our cause, and we lead the rebellion from there :D Also I think you have him the wrong name in the last chapter. But very good! :D

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

You said Amatya Udayabhadra instead of Shishunag.

Viva la Shishunag!

I suggest hiding in either a very "underground" place in a city or go to a Tibetan hideout.

King Udayabhadra was oblivious to the acts of the two councillors, but he did not care. He was away hunting for the remainder of the week, even as his realm was about to be plunged into chaos.

Acharya Mukteshwar II and Dhrittiman, had manipulated the situation to their advantage by forging the directive to imprison the rebel councillors and Amatya Shishunag. The newly appointed military advisor was more interested in making money than in the affairs of the army. He was easily won over to the side of the loyalists. The palace guards under his control were sent to effect the arrest of Amatya Shishunag and the two rebel acharyas.

It was called the night of long knives. There were those in the armed forces who were loyal to Shishunag and would not obey the false diktats of the councillors. These soldiers mutinied when ordered to effect the arrest of amatya Shishunag. Some among them informed Amatya Shishunag and his family of the impending danger that they faced. But Shishunag was adament, "Pataliputra is my city, I have poured my heart and soul into this place, my family and my father before me have were citizens of Magadh, and of Pataliputra! I will not leave this city succumbing to such treachery!" "You must leave O noble Amatya, we cannot lose a man like you. Pataliputra is seeing its long night now, but this night would be darker if you aren't there to lead us out of it. Live O noble Amatya, live so that you may fight another day, I implore you, leave now with your family!". Even as the guardsmen were beseeching Amatya Shishunag to escape from Pataliputra, two dozen of the palace guards were heading towards his mansion.

A vicious fight ensued in which every guard who fought for Amatya Shishunag laid down their lives in defense of their favored minister. A horse drawn carriage was brought in to take Amatya Shishunag and his family away from the palace grounds and away from the city. In their ride through Pataliputra they witnessed the horror around them. Even before the order of the Amatya's arrest would be made public, rumors were spread of the amatya's impending arrest and execution. The citizens of Pataliputra were angered by this, and go on a frenzied riot. Every government office and every manned outpost was attacked by roving mobs of club and pitchfork wielding rebels. It would seem that all authority would fail before their numbers and intensity.

However their rage, they were no match for the legion of well trained archers stationed at Pataliputra. To curb the mass riots engulfing the city, the legion was brought away from the defenses to crush this riot. Any man who was seen wielding a club or stick was attacked indiscriminately. Five thousand were killed before the riots were brought to an end. Houses were burnt, shops were destroyed, the thoroughfares of Pataliputra were riddled with the body of the dead. In the midst of this massacre one could hear the ominous cries of wailing women and children mourning their dead.

The horse cart managed to evade the patrols and escape Pataliputra through a hidden path on the South side of the city. On the banks of the river, a boat waited for the Amatya. "Who could have organized all this ? How could they know ?" the amatya thought to himself. "We have arrived" said the driver of their carriage. Stepping out of the carriage, the passengers saw two figures emerging from the darkness. From one of them he heard a familiar sounding voice "We meet again amatya. Come, I have arranged for our transportation out of Magadh". "Acharya Nagabhatta !? What is happening ?" acharya Nanaji then replied smiling "A rebellion".

Theme song plays at the end :)

That ending was just the best ending ever. Incredible! Bravo sir bravo!!! If only one could world build anarchy :p

For the next update I would need both rebels and loyalists to send in their plans through private message. I will inform each about the displacement of forces which are pro-loyalist or pro-rebel or neutral over there. Once the plans are in, I'll make the scenario.

Furthermore, the rebels are recruiting as are the loyalists. So all new users who sign up with either forces just give a reply "Rebel!" for joining the rebellioin or "Long live the King!" for joining the loyalists.

Acharya Nanaji. Message me so we can make a plan together. It might be a while before I can respond but I will try. Shishunag ki jay!!

All those loyal to Acharya AtulyaSen first and the Emperor second, follow me, Archarya Dhrittiman, for I'm sure he would have wanted it that way.

OOC- Adhiraj, may I see a picture of all of currently settled India?

I'm going to be sending both factions all details that you both need to know about the situation in India and draw your plans accordingly. I'll PM you shortly. I just opened my laptop for taking the snapshots. In the meantime recruit as many people as you can to your cause. Each member would add to one unit to your armies in this rebellion :)

Available units :

1) Spearmen

2) Axemen

3) Swordsmen

4) Archers

5) Club wielding warriors

Available Mercenaries :

1) 3 Kamboja Horse archer divisions from Takshashila for 60 gold

2) 3 Khampa cavalry divisions from Tibet for 60 gold.

Also, when is the strategy due as I recently got a bunch of games in the Steam Summer Sale and I wish to play them as soon as possible?

The dust was just settling on the night of long knives. None could remember a day worse than this, when it seemed like the very soul of bharata was devouring itself. In these troubled times, when those with a noble heart were punished and those with a vile heart were rewarded, many would turn to the wisdom of ages. But the gods were like to mock us.

Acharya AtulyaSen was renowned as a master of karma yoga and guarded with him, the wisdom of ages. His mastery of karma yoga could make him live for almost two centuries. For that long he had battled time, but today he would fight it no more. When news of his ailing health reached the palace, Acharya Dhrittiman and Acharya Mukteshwar rushed to the manse of Acharya AtulyaSen. None was more loyal to the wise old councillor than Acharya Dhrittiman.

The sight that would lay before them was enough to drive Acharya Dhrittiman to tears. He had remembered Acharya AtulyaSen when he was healthy. Even at an old age, he could outdo the most youthful men in vigour. An able warrior, a philosopher and a scientist, few could compare with the wisdom of Atulyasen. And today, this learned man, lay in his bed, barely able to open his eyes, let alone move.

With whatever strength that remained in him, he raised his arms trembling like a leaf, can called upon Acharya Dhrittiman to come close. With great effort, the dying Acharya whispered into Dhrittiman's ear, his last testament

"I .. want to confffess. You Dhrittiman, were always... my favorite.. councillor. I have taught you... as I have always believed.... it is the duty of the king's council first... to the... king emperor. I want you to remember this.. as you first .. duty. No matter.. who the king.. how the king.. the councillor must always.. guide him. I wish to ... confess. I .. cough... cough have ... erred in my ways. King Uday..bhadra murdered his father... under my guidance..." Dhrittiman was shaken by this admission.

His eyes widened and his jaw dropped in disbelief, but AtulyaSen had more to say, and he tightened his grasp over Dhrittiman's hand. "You .. must... not make .. the same mistake. I did what I did... for the sake of the realm. cough.. cough... Udayabhadra showed potential... that he would make an effective.. king. He is not untalented.. but he has a weakness.. I could not have known then he would ... be cruel. I only pray.. that the gods would be .. kind ... when I stand before them".... "protect the king Dhrittiman, serve him well....." With those words, Acharya AtulyaSen, first of his name, councillor in the king's council, drew his last breath.

His students and attendants were around him, accompanied by Acharya Dhrittiman and Acharya Mukteshwar, the two people most closest to him.

Later that day the funeral procession went through the streets of Pataliputra. Old and young came to pay their respects to the wise old Acharya, even those who were his enemies. AtulyaSen was a pillar of Magadhan society and politics, his death shook the foundations of Magadhan society.

Acharya Dhrittiman eventually shared with Acharya Mukteshwar what AtulyaSen had told him on his deathbed. Acharya Mukteshwar stood speechless as he heard the truth of the murder of Emperor Ajatshatru. "I need to be left alone for a while" saying this, acharya Mukteshwar walked away. He would sit in solemn meditation and would not come out for three whole days.

We must mourn the loss of a great man. He may have committed a terrible act but he repented in the end. There will never be anyone as wise as he was. :(

Top Bottom