A Tryst with Destiny

I'm really enjoying this rebellion! :)
And it's giving me ideas for future stories :mischief:

The rebellion has now ended, the parthenon has been made. In the next update we'll see the completion of the Parthenon. With that, we have new civic options which will influence the interactiveness of this IAAR. Now we have monarchy but also the option of republic and autocracy and city states. I'll eventually announce voting around this and lay down the rules of how the transition to another government style will go.

Word of amatya Shishunag's death reached the rebel soldiers camped in Kumaon. It is said that they mourned his death for a whole week, before they willingly disbanded. None had the strength to fight anymore, not without the leadership of the Amatya.

The whereabouts of the rebel acharyas was not known, but rumors were rife about them organizing another rebel band in the Terai. Acharya Dhrittiman saw to it that the forests of the Terai would be sealed and searched thoroughly.

The rebels were ultimately discovered, but their leaders had died long ago. The dozen men who had accompanied them in the hurried escape from Tibet, had given them a respectable cremation. Acharya Dhrittiman reflected over the war with a worthy adversary, and reminisced a time, when these men were his friends and colleagues. Of the hours they would spend together pondering the betterment of the realm.

"Their ashes must be buried in the soil of Magadh" commanded Acharya Dhrittiman. "It is also hereby notified, that we give amnesty to all rebel soldiers who have voluntarily surrendered". Senapati Kansa was replaced by his son, who it is said, was even more vicious than the father. He had a vendetta against the very rebels who had killed his father. Needless to say, the proposal for amnesty did not go down well with him.

Indraprasth, was a city bursting at the seams. It was one of the five greatest cities in the world, and now engulfed in riots and dissent. The presence of mercenaries and Naga sanyasis added fuel to the fire. Almost every day, a hindu-buddhist riot would occur. Rebels who were given amnesty clashed with veterans of the loyalist army. Indraprasth was burning.

Spoiler :

In these difficult times, the mad king Udayabhadra decided to visit the city for a victory tour. Amatya Dhrittiman had showed him the order with the imperial seal granting amnesty to the rebels who had voluntarily surrendered, the king took the order, and tore it to pieces. "The only thing these rebels deserve is to be hung in gibbets for the world to watch. I will taste the fruits of my victory Acharya. I should also state your duties would no longer be needed, I hereby take back the position of Councillor Supreme for you. The King Emperor of Magadh and overlord of Bharata is capable enough to take care of things". Beside him stood the new chief of the armed forces, the son of Senapati Kansa.

The Acharya knew now what scheme was made. He walked out of the palace in disgust. "Serve .. the King" "Don't make the same mistake I did", the words of Acharya AtulyaSen came back to haunt him over and over again. Stripped of his power, the Acharya was now relegated to the same position which he had before, as a mere advisor to the King. The King would do what he willed. He would travel to the riot stricken city of Indraprasth, and partake in the gory festival of executing rebels.

True to his duties as an Acharya, Dhrittiman accompanied the king, ensuring to his best but limited abilities, the security of the king while in Indraprasth. The order to execute the pardoned rebels had already been implemented. The scarred bodies of the rebels were hung on gibbets on either side of the road leading to Indraprasth for a whole mile. Near ten thousand corpses were put on display. A stark reminder of the cruelty with which the King emperor would deal with his enemies.

Later that day, Acharya Dhrittiman received an anonymous letter, which stated, "The king will be killed in Indraprasth. Beware of fire" . Acharya Dhrittiman pondered over this letter for the whole night. After much contemplation, he stood up, and walked to a candle. "Forgive me Acharya AtulyaSen" saying these words, he burned the letter on an oil lamp.

The next day, the King Emperor was to attend a show prepared by the King of Kuru. Firedancers were brought from the desert region of Thar, far to the West. These fire dancers could make brilliant magic with fire and perform seemingly impossible tricks. The King enjoyed the performance, but it was speculated he enjoyed the glistening body of the female fire dancers more than her tricks. The display went on, till the King stood up applauding. The fire dancer still spinning the fiery wheels on her wrists, now flung it at King Udayabhadra. The first disc took his arms from the shoulders down, and the send stuck to his chest. The fire consumed the rest of his body. As the king lay dying, the dancer muttered "Nyay, Pratishodh, Rakt aur Agni!"

WOO! I'm dead right?

Your *character* is dead. *You* are still alive :) . A whole period of Indian history is now coming to a close. A new period is about to begin. New characters will emerge and new roles will be assigned. Its a dynamic game, because you know as the saying goes "When you play the Game of Thrones, you either win, or you die" ;)

Keep note guys, this game's about to become more interesting and lethal

The rebellion has now ended, the parthenon has been made. In the next update we'll see the completion of the Parthenon. With that, we have new civic options which will influence the interactiveness of this IAAR. Now we have monarchy but also the option of republic and autocracy and city states. I'll eventually announce voting around this and lay down the rules of how the transition to another government style will go.

Acharya Dhrittiman in meditation

Acharya Dhrittiman stood and watched as King Udayabhadra burned to his death. The king of Kuru seated next to him, escaped the fire just in time. All around the hall of the palace of Indraprasth, there was panic and frenzy. "The King is dead ! The King is dead!" shouted many a nobleman. But Acharya Dhrittiman was cool calm and collected. He steepled his hand, and gave a look of determination.

"Seize the firedancers" he ordered. Spearmen present as guards of the king, seized the performers and took them into custody. Acharya Dhrittiman now had to deal with this final act of the rebellion. A myriad concerns were clouding his mind, but all had their solution in one move. "The king is dead, his marriage has yielded no issue, so the throne of Magadh sits without a crown prince." He thought to himself, "The rebellion has ended, but now a new conundrum emerges." "What would the oligarchs of Takshashila do now ? What move would the King of Indraprasth do ? Is it possible this assassination was done by the King ? He called for the firedancers after all, but why?..."

Acharya Dhrittiman looked at himself in the mirror of the room. "Tell me, is this man fit to be a king?" . "Pranaam Acharya" a messenger entered his tent, "What is it ?" "Mantri Giriraj wants to meet you" "Giriraj ? What does he want?", Giriraj was the newly appointed financial advisor to the king. It seemed fitting considering his disposition to put the mercenaries under his care. When the acharya walked into mantri Giriraj's tent, a surprise awaited him. In the tent, were two of the other ministers of the King. The minister for domestic affairs and the minister for internal security.

"Come acharya, we need to discuss an important matter" said mantri Giriraj. "With the King gone, there is a void in Pataliputra now. A void waiting to be filled." "This is known, tell what purpose have you in inviting me here" the Acharya demanded "I'll get straight to the point then, The throne is up for grabs and we would be willing to support you for taking it, before any other claimant comes", said the domestic affairs minister Adhir. Acharya Dhrittiman could have swore that somehow these men had read his mind. Of late, he too seemed to ponder this way.

"Fine then I take your offer. What would you have us do ?" The trio hatched a scheme on how to take Pataliputra. Each loyal faction was decided and an army was to be amassed. But first the rivals would have to be done away with. First on the kill list was the new Senapati, whose loyalty to the king was only skin deep, his death opened up the path for him to take power on the basis of his loyal troops. The second on the kill list was the King of Kuru, who would be in a position to lay claim through a distant lineage to the line of the Haryankas. The oligarchs were in no position to vie for the throne of Magadh, first because they were in a republic, and next because they were divided.

Thus, the assassination of the two figureheads were planned. The new Senapati, loved hunting. So one day, he was invited for an evening to the forests near the Yamuna to hunt an elusive beast. A party of six departed on horses, to hunt this mysterious deer like creature with blue skin. With the senapati was mantri Giriraj and two mercenary Kambojas. Six departed, but five returned. The Senapati was "lost in the woods".

Before the army of Magadh departed from Indraprasth, its law and order situation had to be improved. Riots were still commonplace, albeit much weaker in intensity. Peace was beginning to return to Kuru. The great temple of the holy trinity, or "The parthenon" as the Greeks called it, was nearing completion. Even in its unfinished form, it was still a fantastic sight to see. The construction of the great temple could be completed within the year the engineers said, if only it be rushed with two hundred thousand men working around the clock. "The king may not live forever" Mantri Giriraj, muttered.

A grand audience was called in the King's hall, where many of Kuru's aristocracy assembled for a condolence meeting on the death of the King Emperor. The King of Kuru spoke "It is with great sorrow in my heart, that we mourn the king today. It is a shame upon me and my kingdom, that such a shameful and treasonous act was committed upon the soil of Kuru. I regret that I was deceived so easily by assassins in hiding. Who could have known that vengeance would take such an insidious form. I offer my heartfelt condolences, and my sincerest regrets. What else can I offer at this sorrowful hour ?" "There is one other thing" said minister Adhir, "Your head! Soldiers! Enter!"

Almost fifty armed spearmen entered the hall, together with a dozen kamboja mercenaries. Every nobleman seated there was killed in cold blood, the king's guard was ruthlessly slashed by the kamboja mercenaries. At last the King knelt before Acharya Dhrittiman, "I too offer my heartfelt condolences and my sincerest regrets" said he before carving his knife across his neck.

Riots broke out in Indraprasth again, men who were loyal to the old king rebelled at the news of his murder. But the masterminds of this coup had the full support of the army stationed at Indraprasth. The riots were put down mercilessly. To further entrench his newfound authority, Acharya Dhrittiman proclaimed, the end of the sovereignty of Kuru, and that it would be annexed to the direct rule of Magadh "From this day, till the end of Kalyuga" . His first act, was to force over a hundred thousand of Kuru's peasants and shudras to work on completing the Great temple.

So it was, that Ajatshatru's last bloody legacy came to a bloody conclusion. Bharata, had its third wonder, built up much like the last one. On the ruthless oppression of the shudra and vaishya.

Spoiler :

Acharya Dhrittiman, went with his grand army and his co-conspirators back to Pataliputra. He found the city quiet and peaceful. Much of it owed to the Acharya's genius at managing alliances and placating enemies. Now however, a very different Acharya was born. One who was born from the blood letting of the rebellion, from the exigencies of power struggles and intrigues. King Emperor Dhrittiman, would rule for another twenty years. Securing his place and position as undisputed ruler of all of Bharata. But a change was coming.

The rebellion had sparked new ideas among the populace, people began questioning not only the King, but the idea of a king emperor with absolute power. Tyranny was seeing its twilight, the appeal for direct rule seemed fading. The parthenon being built gave rishis and brahmans access to new ideas, and new thinking. The gurukul attached to the temple complex, became a hotbed of new political ideas.

A new awakening was waiting to happen

The reign of Dhrittiman began with blood and iron. The later years were spent on two things more than any other. Firstly, to subdue the constant threat of rebellion that haunted the realm like a spectre, and secondly to find ways to increasing longevity. More and more resources were diverted to raising new armored infantry divisions. Indraprasth and Varanasi both started training spears and sword wielding infantry, while Pataliputra and Takshashila finished their pending library projects.

Spoiler :

It would be a while before the divisions would be ready. Acharya Dhrittiman, studied the science of medicine extensively, researching from the sacred texts of the puranas and vedas for hidden knowledge. His mastery over Karmayoga was matched by his knowledge of herbs and plant life. Acharya Dhrittiman successfully created an elixir from leaves of tulsi which cured internal diseases and increased the strength of internal organs. He would live for decades more.

In his singular pursuit of absolute power, he would ruthlessly murder his own co-conspirators, and usurp their ministerial positions. Acharya Dhrittiman had decide on his own accord, that he alone could manage the affairs of the state. To ensure his absolute rule went unquestioned, he raised an army of spies and informants. They would report the movements of every official, every nobleman and every warrior to the king.

More and more taxes were imposed on the peasantry and traders for the upkeep of the vast military network. Twenty years had passed in this way, twenty years did the people of Bharata suffer this rule. Acharya Dhrittiman codified this rule into a treatise, in it, he laid the ideological basis of Autocracy. But all things must end, so would the reign of Acharya Dhrittiman.

The Acharya had achieved long life, but at the cost of his humanity. The acharya seemed half a corpse. His skin turned pale and his eyes reddened. He seemed not as a man but a demon. One night he went to sleep after drinking his elixir, as he would do every night. Unlike other nights though, the Acharya felt a strange tingle in his bone. When he opened his eyes, he saw his skin melting. Soon, he felt his whole body burning. The pain was unbearable. The Acharya sank to his knees, in silent agony. He began seeing the spirits of the dead.

Acharya AtulyaSen stood before him, and Acharya Nagabhatta, and Nanaji, and Amatya Shishunag. "You failed me Dhrittiman," "Where is your honour Acharya!" "You have failed your king, you have failed your people!" The spirits taunted him. He died hearing the taunts of the spirits before him. Only bones and skin fragments were left of the dead Acharya. Thus, ended the reign of Acharya Dhrittiman, and began a time of anarchy.

Who was Dhrittiman again?

I was just unsure of who his real life person was. Oh okay, sorry DKVM for your depressing death!

well he was over a hundred and fifty years old. He had to die sometime :) , he and the other councillors have been there since before Bimbisara ! They've all outlived the Buddha :p . Oh fun fact : There is actually a yogi who claims to have lived for 1000 years in India who practices Kriya Yoga. That is what I base the karma yoga of the player's characters on :D , Here's the link : http://books.google.co.in/books?id=...EwBw#v=onepage&q=Kriya yoga longevity&f=false

well he was over a hundred and fifty years old. He had to die sometime :) , he and the other councillors have been there since before Bimbisara ! They've all outlived the Buddha :p . Oh fun fact : There is actually a yogi who claims to have lived for 1000 years in India who practices Kriya Yoga. That is what I base the karma yoga of the player's characters on :D , Here's the link : http://books.google.co.in/books?id=...EwBw#v=onepage&q=Kriya yoga longevity&f=false

1000 years? Even if that was remotely believable, why would anyone want to live for a whole millennium?

I wouldn't want to live that long. All the people I loved would die 12 times if their average life is above average at a little over 80. It would be lonely.

That's his claim anyway, its not the first time claims like these were made. Marco Polo said that there were people in India who could live up to 200 years. Be that as it may, I'm going to start a vote soon on which civic I should chose. The one with the most followers would be chosen.

Top Bottom