A Tryst with Destiny

Yes, we must. :(

Also, I am very confused by the unit thing and how it works.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Sorry for the delay in posting. I got carried away by another DOC game I was trying (Cholas :p) so I opened my tryst with destiny file only now. Before I update it, I'll be PMing each side telling you what I intend to do with the rebellion. Just so I get a confirmation.

@CaterpillarKing : The 'unit thing' works like this. If anybody enlisted here after I made the announcement either for support of the rebellion or for support of the incumbent emperor, he would add to one unit to either army. Since no one came in, there won't be any additional army. Each side would get 2 additional archer units by default since there are 2 members of the council on either side.

So we don't worry about any of that post as we were here from the beginning?

And Cholas? Traitor :p

Sorry adhiraj. I tried to get people to join but people generally ignore me.

Yeah, just focus on making a good story and people will come :) I never would have thought my Brazil story would have been as popular as it is but it all came in good time. The main thing is be original and be outside the box. If I had stayed simply as the Brazil you start as it would not be as big of a story as it is. Be the best India you can be! :D Also, people have choices, like how you have councilors for example, people will be actually into the story. A good story name doesn't hurt either :D Yours is good.

nevermind

Escape from Pataliputra was fraught with danger. Yet, in the through the night of long knives, Amatya Shishunaga and his family succeeded in escaping. On the banks of the Ganga he would meet the masterminds of the rebellion, Acharya Nagabhatta II and Acharya Nanaji. The boat would sail upstream towards the West from Pataliputra to Indraprasth where the rebel councillors had originally conceived the staging point of their rebellion. But as the saying goes, "If you want to humour god, tell him of your plans".

After the rioting, troops were posted along the banks of the river guarding all travel to and fro between Pataliputra and Varanasi. The order had been made with the imperial seal that Magadh is to remain on guard. The brahmins of Varanasi were no friends to Acharya Nanaji, or any of the rebels. Only the feeble king of Kashi could help them, but only if they could help him.

The rebel leaders debated for hours on a new course of the escape. It was decided at the end, that there would be only one way to escape the authority of Pataliputra. That escape would take them downstream to Vanga and from there they would have to travel North to lands of thick jungle and jagged hills. Beyond these forbidding regions lies the mysterious land beyond the edge of civilization some call Tibet.

Spoiler :

That would be their new staging post for the rebellion. In their eastward march, the rebel band was met with workers toiling on the plains of Vanga. There they were building one of Ajatshatru's last projects, a new township for trade and commerce where almost two thousand would be settled. These miserable people, worked till death, under the worst conditions possible, seemed as if they had seen a messiah when they sighted Amatya Shishunag riding down on his horse. His coming had released their rebel spirit locked in by tyranny. The workers cast off their oppressive overlords, and joined the rebel party. Village after village where the party would pass through, the men and women would give them their gold and jewellery to fund the rebel cause. They headed towards Tibet, now, no longer as a small band of conspirators, but with an army.

In the midst of tension and rebellion, the King of Magadh, Udayabhadra returned from his hunting expedition. Oblivious to what had transpired under his very nose, the King seemed to live in a constant state of fear and suspicion. His only solace from fear was when he indulged in his vice of alcoholism and women. More often than not, both at the same time. After the confession of AtulyaSen, acharya Mukteshwar II had vowed to retire from political life and join the sangh at Mahabodhi. "I have forsaken the material world my friend. What is the purpose of this cause which is so tainted ? What worth is the throne of Pataliputra ? For which son must kill father, and brother must kill brother? I wish to forsake this material world, and search for nirvana. I will join the Sangh". Acharya Dhrittiman tried his best to convince his dear old friend that he would need him now more than ever. The fight that the two had after that, would be the last time the two ever spoke with one another.

Acharya Dhrittiman tried his best to keep the promise he had made to the dying Acharya AtulyaSen, that he would bring the emperor on the right path, but as days passed, it became harder and harder to keep to this promise. It was wartime, and in such a situation, only that which is pragmatic stands. Acharya Dhrittiman ensured the king would remain 'indisposed' as long as possible and secure multiple duties in his stead.

Among his first acts, was to approach the envoy from the West. Reports had been heard for sometime of a tribe of warrior people known as the Kambojas who are ancient relatives of the Gandhari. They have developed a new technique of horseback riding where the rider can fire arrows while moving. This deadly new art of fighting was the envy of the known world. The envoy came from beyond the frontier region, where well bred horses roam. He offered the service of his tribal brethren for a fee. Sixty mounds in gold and he would bring six thousand fierce horsemen from the lands of the Kamboja.

Spoiler :

Acharya Dhrittiman eagerly agreed. The fierce horsemen would add strength to a beleaguered and demoralized army. Even though they would be mercenaries, it was said that when a Kamboja promises, he fulfills it unto death.

Acharya Dhrittiman's next set his sights on securing the political support base for the King emperor. This he would do by calling upon the rulers of the three component kingdoms of the empire of Bharata. The King of Kuru from Indraprasth, the king of Kashi from Varanasi, and the twelve oligarchs from Takshashila. Of these the twelve oligarchs refused to come citing the reason being that of defending the border from 'vicious hordes of barbarian horsemen'. Acharya Dhrittiman knew what the real reason for their absence was, but he thought it best to keep this knowledge to himself.

To the King of Indraprasth it was pledged that there would be a moratorium on forced labor, and to devolve the decision making power over how to complete projects undertaken by the crown in his territories. This pleased the king extremely and succeeded in endearing him to the seat of Magadh even at the expense of angering his people. To seal the alliance, the beautiful younger daughter of the king was to be married to the emperor.

To the king of Kashi, it was pledged that no further reductions on his dominions will be made. The revenues from the diamond mines in the hills South of Varanasi too shall be entirely his own. But the King of Kashi was never the acharya's chief concern. His real concern were the cult of warrior monks called the Naga Sanyasis. They had no love lost for the rebels or for the egalitarian ideals amatya Shishunag supported. They also had knowledge of a new form of fighting with spear and sword which could prove deadly in battle. Along with the King of Kashi, came the leader of the Naga Sanyasis on special invite from the Acharya. The meeting had convinced the king of kashi against any intention he may have had in supporting the rebels.

Now, only the oligarchs of Takshashila remained to pacify. That would be the most difficult of tasks, but also the least urgent. The oligarchs were biding their time, waiting for a the rebellion to come full circle, and for amatya Shishunag and the rebel acharyas to set foot on the soil of the Sindhu river. For then, they may rally their troops and conduct the rebellion more effectively. Without the leadership, the oligarchs couldn't be relied upon to show any boldness.

Spoiler :

After many months of hard travel, and braving treacherous terrain and hostile tribes. The rebel party had finally reached the barren hills of Tibet. There they were met with emissaries from the Khampa clans. These clans were the Tibetan equivalents of the Kambojas, only their reputation was more fearsome. The Khampa have claimed they have raided every city in China, and today the Chinese live in fear by giving tribute. They hunger for blood and gold. For sixty mounds of gold, three clans joined in the rebel crusade. In the hills of tibet north of the great wall of the Himalayas, the rebels created their base. The villagers long since forgotten by Ajatshatru and his kin, were the ones who supported their stay. The shepherds long to go back to Magadh, the land of their forefathers, where they had escaped following the last emperor's mad ambition.

When the base was built, and the army assembled for attack, messages were sent out via courriers throughout the Gangetic plains, that Amatya Shishunag and the rebels, had built a strong rebel army. An army which could wrench power from the hands of the decadent king Udayabhadra, and bring justice to those wronged. The war cry of the rebellion was writ in the blood Amatya Shishunag's hand "न्याय , प्रतिशोध , रक्त और अग्नि !" (Justice, Vengeance, blood and fire!) . All across the plains, inspired citizens took up arms against the king, in anticipation of their saviour to come. Everywhere one looked they could hear the chants of "न्याय , प्रतिशोध , रक्त और अग्नि !"

The horse archer Kamboja mercenaries could not have arrived at a more opportune moment for the loyalist cause...

Spoiler :

For it was only now, that the rebellion had truly begun.

Spoiler :

Yeah, just focus on making a good story and people will come :) I never would have thought my Brazil story would have been as popular as it is but it all came in good time. The main thing is be original and be outside the box. If I had stayed simply as the Brazil you start as it would not be as big of a story as it is. Be the best India you can be! :D Also, people have choices, like how you have councilors for example, people will be actually into the story. A good story name doesn't hurt either :D Yours is good.

I'll have you know, its not an unpopular story :) . So far I've checked almost 2800 views for this thread. Its trailing the Ethiopian story made by Caterpillarking. Of course you must consider the fact that its a marathon game which begins in 3000 BCE and goes all the way to 1899 CE. So its got a long life :) . Its just more fun when more people interact and give interesting ideas/contributions/twists to the story. This civil war for example would never have happened if it wasn't for Moai wanting to defend the king which gave me the idea in the first place ^_^ . Now with the parthenon being built, a whole new history might just be written since we'll have monarchy availble. What better way to show the transition from ancient (present Haryanka dynasty) to classical dynasty (Nanda dynasty) than a revolution to monarchy :D. But if there are players who would want a republic, or autocracy then that might just change the course of history on how it happened ! *(the actors would remain just put into a radically different setting)

I'll have you know, its not an unpopular story :) . So far I've checked almost 2800 views for this thread. Its trailing the Ethiopian story made by Caterpillarking.

Why didn't you just say "made by you." :lol: Just give yourself time. Don't force popularity and remember it's about having fun not number of views. :D

Thanks for those encouraging comments :) . I've had a negative review on this story, and I"ve been trying to improve it after that, make it more edgy more interactive. I'm honestly loving this and I hope you all are too :) . The civil war will come in three possibly four updates, since there are 40 pictures to share and a very interesting storyline. so stay tuned for more. I'll update the rest of the parts tomorrow and day after. In the meantime, enjoy this famous Indian rebel song ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV3dd5Rz0TY>Link to video.

Well I would like to say this story is awesome and exciting!

Link to video.

Fixed that for you. You don't take the whole url, just the code this after the v= Don't worry I did the same thing :p I like the story though :D

When the news came of Amatya Shishunag successfully building his army across the Himalayas, the entire magadhan countryside arose in revolt. Village after village rose up in armed revolt. This countryside insurrection was most powerful in Vanga, whose people were infamous for their hotblooded and rebellious nature.

Reports were coming out of local officials and military personnel helping these militias in training and arming them. Large bands of rebel militias were making their way on to Pataliputra. Another smaller band of militias in Kuru, hearing the story of the rebel base in Tibet, decided to cross the Himalayas and go there, to join amatya Shishunag's army.

It was said, that King Udayabhadra was so utterly stricken with fear that he had confined himself in the palace dungeons for two whole days hiding from his own officials. He was later found quivering in a corner of a dank cell biting his nails, in a state of delirious paranoia. The king was taken ill and kept in the care of the palace vaid. Taking advantage of his state, Acharya Dhrittiman had taken the sign of the king authorizing him to adopt all duties of the state in the King's absence, he now had the title Councillor Supreme, the first and last time such a title would be used.

Acharya Dhrittiman now had command over three divisions of Kamboja horse archers, the death batallion and many divisions of archers, though his control over the archers in Takshashila were questionable to say the least. To maximize the effectiveness of the forces under his command, the acharya commanded that the armed forces be divided into offensive and defensive forces. The defensive forces comprising of archers would be stationed in the major cities, while the offensive forces would tackle the rebel militias heading West from Bengal and those who had risen up in Kashi. Two divisions of Kamboja mercenary cavalry would form the shock troop of this army which can be deployed rapidly while another would be formed as the fighting division of the army, comprising of the death battalion and one division of Kamboja mercenary cavalry. The former was stationed at Pataliputra, and the latter was stationed in Varanasi.

Spoiler :

Before long the first wave of rebellion would see the wrath of this army. The tactical command of the army was still in the hands of the senapati, whose ruthlessness and penchant for torture had won him the name 'Kansa', after the demonic uncle of Lord Krishna who murdered every child born of his own niece to prevent the birth of Lord Krishna.

The rebels however, preempted the loyalist armies, and struck for Pataliputra first. They crossed the Ganga in the dead of night in straw boats. Two thousand militias armed with pitchforks and wooden clubs. They wore no armour, and had no training in warfare. Against these brave young souls, stood the garrison of Pataliputra, and the mercenary shock troops of the King Emperor, all in all they numbered over ten thousand. However, the militias had the element of surprise on their side.

Spoiler :

The operation started well. The boats had successfully crossed the river and landed on the South side of the city. The stealthy landing encouraged the rebels, that success may be around the corner. After that, everything that could go wrong, went wrong.

A patrol of around a dozen troops were alerted when the rebels unwittingly disturbed a herd of bulls. They started to panic and run. The troops lit the signal flares alerting their fellow fighters on the walls, the rebels had come! That night the air was filled with the low booming sounds of conch shells and drums as the army of Magadh were awaken to battle. The rebels had no choice left, but to make a rapid dash for the walls and hope to breach it before more troops could come.

Alas! Fate conspired against them. The first few hundred troops were joined with hundreds more, and then a thousand. Fiery arrows rained down on the rebels, even as they raced towards the gates of Pataliputra. The fields across the walls burnt with the incendiary rain as hundreds upon hundreds of fighters marched bravely to their death, martyrs for the rebel cause. For the cause of Justice and vengeance.

The rebels did not have access to iron weapons, so they could not forge armor, they did not have access to horses, so they could not ride. They did not have training, so they could not move in formation. What they had was the fire of rebellion in their hearts, that gave them unnatural bravery. These were sons and brothers of kin who had been killed during Ajatshatru's purges, and many of those who suffered the rule of Udayabhadra. Years of hatred had hardened their hearts which yearned for justice for their fallen kin, and they were willing to fight till death to get it.

"Today we will have justice, or die trying!" shouted their leader, as he rallied the militia on. "न्याय प्रतिशोध रक्त और अग्नि !" Two thousand rebel soldiers cried out before they marched on the walls of Pataliputra.

The night was lit ablaze with the fires of the arrows, and drowned in the blood of two thousand martyrs. Not one of them returned alive in the suicide mission. The sun rose to a bloody field with littered bodies strewn across charred earth. This would only be the first assault that Pataliputra would face.

A much larger rebel force was heading from Vanga and camped out in the forests to the East.

Spoiler :

Eight thousand militias gathered in the forests, ready to storm the gates of Pataliputra. Under these circumstances, another riot in Pataliputra would be spell certain failure for the loyalists. Even in defeat, the bravery of the rebels inspired sympathy among the people. Acharya Dhrittiman, had to ensure that there would be peace within Pataliputra. The king's sickness proved to be a boon for Dhrittiman's administrative plans. Ever the skillful diplomat he enlisted he support of the Mahabodhi sangh. Their relief efforts were now encouraged by the funds of the state. Taxation was relaxed, and compensation was granted to those who had lost livelihood during the night of long knives.

Acharya Dhrittiman did all he could to improve the image of the rule of King Udayabhadra, but the people of Bharata do not forgive easily. They continued to see the king as the shield behind which the corrupt and incompetent king hid. They blamed him for the terror that was unleashed during the suppression of the night of long knives, and for advising the king against Amatya Shishunag. Acharya Dhrittiman was a burdened man, and the burden of his duty to the king weighed him down that much more. "Serve.. the King.." the words of AtulyaSen continued to haunt him, but there would be no time for reflection. War was upon them!

This time the rebel army would not leverage the element of surprise. In broad daylight the horde revealed itself coming out of the forest. "न्याय प्रतिशोध रक्त और अग्नि !""न्याय प्रतिशोध रक्त और अग्नि !""न्याय प्रतिशोध रक्त और अग्नि !" the men chanted to the rythm of war drums. The divisions of archers who had rained death upon the last rebel attack, could not find it in their hearts to kill their own countrymen in cold blood once again. The 'dirty work' as Senapati Kansa put it, would fall on he shoulders of the Kamboja mercenaries. These hardened blood thirsty horsemen would now show their reputation on the field of battle.

Spoiler :

Four thousand of the horsemen rode out to meet the rebel divisions, the rebels as before, ill armed and ill trained, fought relying only on their numbers and their bravery... and on the will of the people of Pataliputra to revolt. The citizens of Pataliputra never revolted. What happened instead, was a fierce battle. The horsemen swooped down on the rebel militias firing volley after volley of arrows, but just as the rebels would run to meet the horsemen, they would flee. A dozen times they rode up and fled back leaving almost a thousand rebels dead on the field. The battle was decided for the day. The mercenaries proved their worth, as efficient killers and won for the king an important victory.

The king's health started to improve upon hearing this news. He was glad about the victories the army inflicted upon the enemy rebels time and time again. In reward he gave the kambojas a gift of jewellery taken from the treasury as well as a choice of one hundred women from the city. The mercenaries celebrated by indulging in the worst profanities imaginable. They would ride through the streets and snatched anyone they fancied. They rode with impunity. The anger of the people peaked when a band of Kamboja horsemen threatened to raid the sangh if they weren't paid ten maunds in gold immediately. It was Acharya Dhrittiman's intervention which saved the sangh, and the city from debacle. That night he was consumed by anger, and righteous indignation at the king. For a moment, he wished death upon this wretch of a man, but Acharya AtulyaSen's words haunted him again "Serve... the King".

The rebel army was no longer advancing, but had fortified itself inside the eastern forest. By the next day, the fighting divisions from Kashi had arrived. The death battalion came with four thousand Kamboja cavalry. "Our axes are thirsty for blood" remarked the captain of the battalion, "Then today will be the day their thirst shall be quenched" assured Senapati Kansa. That day the full force of Magadh would be deployed against the rebels. Seven thousand five hundred archers, Eight thousand horsemen and Three thousand men of the 'death battalion' . Against this force stood six thousand rebel braves.

The songs had fallen silent after the defeat the day before. The rebels were demoralized, they yearned for Amatya Shishunag to come to the plains and lead them. "But where is amatya Shishunag?" the young braves would ask "He will come, have faith, for the gods always favor the just" would come the reply from those who still believed. Amatya Shishunag had not come, but the harbinger of death, yamraj had come in the form of the 'death battalion'. Senapati Kansa would lead the attack personally, riding from atop an elephant.

Spoiler :

The axes of the death batallion would taste the first kills of the day, when a disorganized group of militias decide to preempt an attack from them. Why they did it is not known, perhaps they believed they could somehow surprise them and steal their iron weapons to use against them ? What is known is that the plan was sheer folly. The thousand who had attacked the death battalion had died terrible deaths under the blows of the iron axes. Not one of them survived, retreating and wounded soldiers were killed with impunity. It is said, that the men of the death battalion would laugh aloud each time they would inflict a kill. The sound of shrieks had a morbid mix with the laughs of the axemen that day. The other sound was the sound of hoofbeats trampling the grass beneath them.

The remainder of the forces who had braved using the forest as a shield, would be taken down by volleys of arrows from archers and the kamboja cavalry. Just before being raided by the soldiers of the death battalion. The massacre was total. Senapati Kansa however, commanded that there ought to be at least two hundred prisoners of war after this battle was over.

True to his word, two hundred soldiers were taken in as prisoners of war. Acharya Dhrittiman had appreciated this move when he had heard of it, stating that a fair trial before the court of pataliputra would draw a more favorable image of us and people would understand that we can forgive. This was not to be so. Senapati Kansa made an evil grin and said "King's orders. They're to be burnt alive before all the people. To show, what happens if you join the rebels" .

In the meantime, acting on reports from the kingdom of Kuru, the shock force of kamboja horsemen were sent North to foothills near Kuru to deal with rebels hiding out there. The winter had been harsh on the hills, snows had piled up and sealed passes affecting trade and travel. the militia who had mean to use that pass to cross over to Tibet were stranded, just as the main rebel army was inside of Tibet. The Kamboja horsemen felt out of place in this land, it was rugged, with hills and rivers and forests. This was not the wide open plains where their horses could be ridden at full pace. Here they would need to maneuver and adapt. The horses could not adapt to this new terrain quickly, but its locals had. This is where the rebels would strike the most bold victory of the war.

Spoiler :

Through the wintery mists and snowfall, the horsemen entered the foothills of Kumaon. Forests, rocks, ice and snow made the journey treacherous. The six thousand horsemen sent from the victorious slaughter at Magadh had dispersed. The rebel leader told his men to use stealth. "Nature is your ally my brothers" he would say. The horsemen grew tired and fatigued, their horses were dying under the cold. As night came, the winter would bring out its murderous cold death. In the chill, under the watchful lights of the full moon, the militias would strike. First a slight shrug from the bushes, then would come war cries, sounds which were all too familiar for anyone from Pataliputra. "न्याय प्रतिशोध रक्त और अग्नि !" The warriors pounded their enemy with clubs, smashing their heads to a pulp. Where or how this death came none of the mercenaries could know. It had just come, striking like a tiger from behind the leaves of the forest.

The quiet moonlit night grew loud to the shrill cries of dying mercenaries. Some had set their horses to fire, almost certainly as an act of vengeance, but also to scatter their horses away. Six burning horses frightened sixty others, and sent whole packs fleeing down the slopes of hills. Many fell to their deaths. Before the kamboja could gather their wits and fight in defense, a thousand of their forces lay dead along the rocky slopes of the hills. The Ganga river below would take in the blood of these unrighteous souls and stand testament to the righteous carnage. When the counter-attack came, a frenzied and undisciplined volley was launched into the trees and into the sky. Some were unlucky enough to be caught in the crossfire, but most warriors were unscathed. More kambojas awoke after hearing the cries of their companions and the fear stricken neighing of their horses. They too fired arrows blindly at the invisible enemy, it was only when they were met with the club that they could see their enemy, their bodies covered with dark fur and brandishing thick wooden clubs which seemed strong enough to break rock, never mind bone.

The fighting was fierce, and many militia did lose their life, but more kambojas died that night than rebels. The horsemen who had known only how to strike fear into others, understood what it means to feel fear.

The kamboja leader was caught fleeing by the rebels, and executed through fire. The burning man would bear witness to the cheers of the victorious rebels chanting "न्याय , प्रतिशोध, रक्त और अग्नि !" Justice, Vengeance, Blood and fire !

Woo! Chaos!

The rebels had by now set up a fully functional base on the foothills of the Himalayas just North of Pataliputra. Their armies were ready at last, with five divisions of archers and three Khampa divisions. Victory seemed certain with this force, but all was not as it seemed. The winter was unexpectedly harsh that year. Mountain passes that were used for trade between India and China through Tibet, were blocked by heavy snowfall. The only large pass between India and Tibet was now through Kumaon in the Kuru kingdom.

Acharya Nagabhatta II had left a network of spies and scouts throughout the northern janapadas. These spies were responsible for spreading the message of rebellion throughout the janapadas and inciting the peasantry against the king. The scouts were used solely as reporters who would keep the rebel base informed on the developments in the plains.

The winter however, would befuddle their best laid plans.

Spoiler :

On a cold winter Amatya Shishunag looked down from the rebel base, at the valley of sheeps where the industrious people of Magadh had created pastures and villages to sustain themselves. "What a remarkable people, how industrious and strong. They do not deserve to be ruled by the tyranny of the Haryankas." he thought to himself. For three whole months now, the rebels had been kept in the dark about the happenings down south. No scout had had come in a long time. The short route through which shepherds would sometimes pass between Pataliputra and Tibet was sealed by an avalanche. They would have to go through a long route which would take them through Kuru. One such scout succeeded in the long journey. Through the misty haze of twirling snow and heavy winds, a lone figure emerged.

"At last ! A scout comes" exclaimed Amatya Shishunag, the man was tired, and bruised all over his body. He was brought to rest and given water, then before Amatya Shishunag and the rebel acharyas, the scout gave the most grim news they could have hoped for. "All is lost my lords... all is lost""The spies did their job successfully, the insurrection happened throughout the countryside of Vanga and Magadh, but there was no revolt in Pataliputra. Ten thousand rebels attacked Pataliputra, but no one returned alive. The king has bought many mercenaries from Kamboja, they are fierce and fearful my lords. Beware of them.."

The scout spoke further, "There are still rebels in the hills North of Kuru, there they achieved a fantastic victory against the horsemen. They are hiding in the forest, braving the winter and the army of Magadh, they wait for the arrival of their beloved Amatya Shishunag and his army. My lords, you must go South, or else all is lost."

Spoiler :

The report put Amatya Shishunag in a pensive mood. Acharya Nanaji and Acharya Nagabhatta II went over their war plans once more. They are to invade from the North through the western pass at the hills of Kumaon. Over there they would be joined by rebel volunteers and march down to the kingdom of Kuru where the king of indraprasth would open his gates to the rebel army. At Indraprasth they would fortify and be joined by the garrison of Takshashila. Acharya Nagabhatta spoke "This might work yet. The rebels are still huddled near the forests of Kumaon waiting for our arrival." but Acharya Nanaji wasn't so sure any more "My friend, you seem to be forgetting a hidden ally the king has, general winter has decided to be our foe. Or did you think that the passes would be open ? Why do you think this scout has come after so long ? It is because the passes have been blocked by several feet of thick snow!""So what do you propose ? staying here till the snow clears? Then we will be burried by snow!" the arguments seemed to go on and reach a dead end, while another scout appeared at the rebel base.

"What is your report?" asked Amatya Shishunag, "the passes are blocked, we cannot enter Kuru". A collective shock filled the tent, optimism gave way to pessimism. The best laid plans of the rebels seemed to failing. First, the insurrection was defeated, and now the passes between Bharata and Tibet were blocked by snow. The bad situation turned worse when a Khampa leader came to entreat with Shishunag, he was blunt. "You promised us gold and plunder, now all the paths are closed ! When will you give us our pay!?" "We already gave you all we had, it is why you promised to fight for us! We made a deal" "That was only for signing the contract. If we are not paid soon, we will take all the gold you have here !" The rebels were now realizing they were on thin ice.

Meanwhile, on the foothills of Kumaon, near Kuru, the victorious rebel militias were recovering from their losses. "The amatya will come, but only if this damned pass clears!" the rebel leader said. All knew, that time was of the essence, Acharya Dhrittiman was not to be underestimated, even if his king was an utter fool. The loyalists had struck hard and fast. They had the weapons and the means to inflict a complete defeat on the rebels, and they had displayed this power in their defense of Pataliputra. The Acharya would now turn his forces to deal with the rebel threat in the Kumaon, before other rebels decide that the army wasn't as invincible as they had seen on the plains of Magadh.

The second horse archer division, was ordered not to march uphill and wait for winter to start clearing out before fighting the rebels. The gambit had paid off, as winter was much more harsher than expected. The rebels would have to die of the cold if they did not come down to warmer lands, and when they did, they would die at the hands of the kamboja. The brave guerrilla fighters whose victory became legend, caved in to cold and hunger. The few who survived the winter came down and offered a farce of a fight to the Kamboja. Their knees grew tired, their bodies betrayed them, they moved on a dead man's pace. The Kamboja warriors simply sat on their horses and picked them up one by one, it was no fight but a cold blooded massacre. Thus ended the story of the rebels of Kumaon.

Spoiler :

Even so, the people of Bharata would not rest so easily. In Takshashila, the oligarchs were arguing among themselves. "The rebellion is dead, it is folly to keep supporting it!" some would say, yet others would say "And if we do not support the rebellion, then we will be consumed by it ! Those buddhist militias will not take this refusal lightly, for our own sake we must support the rebellion!" "Better to be consumed by the rebellion than by King Udayabhadra and his devil minister Dhrittiman !" "We cannot take any action now, we must wait for Amatya Shishunag to enter, that is what was planned! Acharya Nanaji told us..""And what if they are dead !? You know how the winter was, do you think they would survive it high up in the Himalayas where even the blood freezes under your skin?" The oligarchy of Takshashila remained divided.

As was said by the oligarchs, the militant monks would not stay quiet. If a decision would not be taken by the rulers, a decision would be taken for them. The militant orders began their recruitment, the countryside near the Sindhu, erupted in revolt. Not since the time of the rogue prince's rebellion had the North seen so many men in arms. The garrison of Takshashila was no longer in the hands of the oligarchs, it was the sangh which led them now. Seven thousand of the garrison answered their call and left for the East. Four thousand rebel militias, and Seven thousand archers now marched from Takshashila to Kuru making their way to Pataliputra.

Spoiler :

But the Buddhists weren't the only ones who had a militant order. Once the nagas learnt of the buddhist militias, they rose to the challenge for the loyalists. Acharya Dhrittiman's diplomacy had paid off. Two thousand naga miltants had rallied in Kashi in two divisions. One of these divisions were given new axe weapons and armors, while another division was left with wooden weapons and no armor.

Spoiler :

In the meanwhile, Kashi completed the training of a new division of spearmen. The new weapon which was developed by hunters had now evolved into a stronger more formidable weapon of war. Reports of a vast rebel army marching to Indraprasth were answered by an even larger loyalist army, composed of some of the most deadly fighting forces in the realm.

Now began the decisive battle of the rebellion.

Spoiler :

The loyalist army amassed at the city of Indraprasth. A flood of troops, filled the city. From a distance they could see the work on the great temple of the holy trinity, which Greek travelers called 'The Parthenon'. Near fifty thousand troops, comprising of kamboja mercenaries, archer divisions, naga sanyasi warriors and spearmen entered the great city. A few leagues north of the city, by the Yamuna river, the rebel army had made its encampment. The death battalion were still making their way North from Kashi together with an additional support troops.

Senapati Kansa was impatient, as were the Naga warriors, the Summers had melted the snow on the Himalayas, clearing the passes which were hitherto blocked. It was most likely that the large rebel army was heading North to link up with the army of Shishunag. "They must be stopped before they can head North, if we allow them to cross the Ganga, the tide of this war may turn against us", said Senapati Kansa. Though Acharya Dhrittiman had desired caution, and advised waiting for the death battalion to arrive, he eventually gave in to the Senapati's better advise.

Spoiler :

Senapati Kansa would lead the first assault personally, with several divisions of the Kamboja mercenaries, archers and spearmen. The kamboja men who were involved in this assault, were the ones who had survived the attack on the Kumaon. The experience had left them unnerved and they weren't truly healed. This injured division, shirked from fighting leaving the other horsemen to act as the shock force. The Kamboja rained volleys and volleys of arrows upon the enemy, the rebels answered with volleys of their own. The skies would darken under the shadow of arrows. Each side seemed as they were there to fight to the death.

The loyalists fought well but the rebels were steadfast. This would not be a walkover like it was in Magadh. These were not poorly trained or poorly armed peasants with pitchforks. They were hardened soldiers, veterans of fights against reaving barbarians in the frontier. Sons of men who fought against the army of the rogue prince centuries ago. It was a tremendous sight to see the militant monks fighting the Nagas, each fanatically devoted to their beliefs. Never before had such vicious fighting been seen in the land of Bharata.

At the end, three thousand rebels lay dead, but they killed two thousand of the loyalists. Battered and bruised, the rebels felt they would not stand a chance should a second wave be launched upon them. With the death of senapati kansa, the loyalists had lost an important head of command, but now the death battalion had arrived as well as the new division of armored naga warriors.

Spoiler :

A brief lull happened in the fighting, as the loyalists regrouped. The rebels, were quick to seize this opportunity, and restart their march to the North.

Spoiler :

The day seem to have been won by the loyalists, yet the rebels too felt like they had struck a victory. Emboldened, they marched North to Tibet, where the army of their salvation awaited them. "Nyay, Pratishodh, Rakt aur Agni!" the triumphant chanting filled the air as the rebels crossed the Ganga and entered the foothills of the Kumaon. They had not known of the fatal event which would transpire on the hills of Tibet.

Several months passed, and winter was giving way to summer. The men had braved the cold and survived. Amatya Shishunag's thoughts went to his family, to the warm embrace of his loving wife, and to his brilliant son whom he so lovingly tutored.

Before entering Tibet, his family was escorted to a tribal village near the barbarian lands of Kalinga. There the amatya had some friends among the village chiefs. His wife and son would be safe there, as the king of Magadh had little or no reach among these tribals, as it was forbidden to enter the forests to the South. The tribals themselves were deemed untouchable. "I will return to you..." he thought to himself, "I will return..." .

The passes were reported to be clear now, so the army was assembled for the long journey home. Amatya Shishunag addressed his troops "Brothers ! Warriors of Bharata, heed my words. Long have we waited to march back to our lands, long have we waited for justice, for vengeance, to rain fire and blood on the usurping enemy! Today my brothers, our wait ends.

The walls of winter have been struck down by the warmth of summer. The passes which have been closed to us, are now open. So we march ! We march to our victory, to the cheering masses of Indians who have so eagerly awaited our arrival, to mothers and fathers whose hands await to bless us for our righteous crusade. Brothers! The people of Bharata have risen with arms against the unrighteous incompetent king Udayabhadra and his corrupt ministers. This is our moment, we must strike. So march I say!

Nyay! Pratishodh! Rakt aur Agni!" Near eight thousand troops chanted the slogan of the rebellion in unison. For a moment it would seem the mountains themselves would shake. It was shaking indeed, but the avalanche that was coming was not one of snow. From the West came sounds of a heavy wheel rolling. A rumbling sound which seemed strange to the ears of both Indians and Tibetans alike. Then, orders were heard in Chinese. Soon after there was a rain of boulders falling from the sky. Many men died under impact, but they were quick to take up defensive positions. Looking down from the hill, it became known what was causing this. A machine, the likes of which the men had never seen of but heard only in rumours and legends. Four wheels supporting a huge catapult made of wood and iron beams. This machine hurled boulders as big as a bull's head and there were two of them.

Spoiler :

The sight of the catapults put the rebels in a state of panic and confusion. "Why are the Chinese attacking us ?" the rebels screamed in confusion, "Where are the Khampaas?!" Acharya Nagabhatta shouted, the horsemen were nowhere to be seen when they were needed the most.

The catapults kept raining rocks on the rebel garrison. The archers huddled behind walls and organized in stagger formation, answered their rocks with flaming arrows. The fight seemed to go against them. Hundreds of archers lay dead or dying under the impact of the bombardment. Then from the distance, a band of a hundred khampas were seen riding from the Eastern hills.

The men started to cheer, for surely now, the siege would be broken. The khampas rode, faster and closer to the rebel base. As they came close to the catapults, they turned. The men were bewildered. The Khampas now charging against the rebel archers ! "Fire at will" shouted Amatya Shishunag. It was only then that the men could overcome their bewilderment, and attack those they thought were their allies. Half of the charging khampas fell to their arrows but the other half broke through the ranks of the defenders. Killing maiming and slashing their way in. Till they too were vanquished. The catapults retreated away from the field of battle. The rebels had survived the onslaught, but nearly a thousand of them lay dead.

"There would be no attack today". Amatya Shishunag said in a cold and depressed tone.

Spoiler :

At midnight that day as the troops were still recuperating from their losses, the rebel leadership met to discuss plans. "We are too weakened to march on the enemy now, we must wait and regain some strength" said Acharya Nanaji, "We can't delay, much more, we must strike soon while the iron is still hot. The scout reported a large rebel army in Kumaon" "If we march now, our men would die on the march. We can't risk it, and the Khampas are no longer to be trusted". Then the sound of hoofbeats were heard. When the rebel leaders walked outside of the tent, there stood, the leader of the khampas with an escort of at least a dozen horsemen.

"Why are you here !?" Amatya Shishunag asked angrily, the wounds of their betrayal were fresh and hurtful. "I had told you earlier, we want gold, and if we don't have it, we will take it". "You men made an oath to fight for us!.." "Not an oath, a contract, and contracts can be revoked. We promised to fight for you, only for gold and the opportunity of plunder. Now we have none, and the chinese are threatening our people. If we fight for you, our villages would burn!" "Then stay out of our way, and leave us to our own fate, we will vacate these hills" Amatya Shishunag reply. The khampa leader then smiled, "Yes you will vacate this place, as corpses! Ride and raid men !"

Hundreds of Khampas emerged from the hills, all three divisions who had earlier promised to fight for the rebels, now armed in a fight against them. The massacres went on for hours. The hills ran red with the blood of rebel soldiers. Among the dead, was the noble Amatya Shishunag. Acharya Nagabhatta II and Nanaji somehow managed to escape with a band of a dozen archers, who now marched through Himalayan passes, fleeing from rampaging Tibetan clansmen with their lives, back to Magadh.

So ended Shishunag's rebellion.

Spoiler :

But there was one last act remaining...

Top Bottom