A Tryst with Destiny

I thank all the Amatya's for their well thought and constructive advice on this matter. Here is how I summarize the conclusion of this meeting.

There were three options laid before the learned Amatyas. The first option was to aid the Parthians unconditionally and participate in the war against the Yavanas. The second alternative contemplated that we be uninvolved in this war, but assist the Persians with monetary aid. The third alternative involved supporting the war, but only if Persia acceded to our empire and submitted themselves as a protectorate.

Amatya Buddhagupt and Senapati Dushyant supported the third alternative while Raja Perun Gilli and Amatya Gyananand supported the second alternative. Amatya Chanak II attempted to provide a fourth alternative which would serve as a middle path between both the second and third alternatives. The fourth alternative by which we refrain from intervening in the Parthian war with Greece, but do so only if the Persians are losing territory to which we assist them in taking back these territories.

By my reckoning, this alternative is vague in that it does not clarify on the question of incorporating Persia as a protectorate. Without any tangible gains arising from an intervention, I do not see how we can participate in a war that would require much resources from our side without resultant benefits. Likewise, if it were only about upholding the high prestige and honor that Bharat enjoys in the world and to uphold the dharma that states one should give shelter to those who seek refuge, then why would one bother with conditions ? However, it is clear, that all ministers are in favor of refraining themselves from actively participating in the war, but this does not preclude us from assisting our neighbors in need. On this point I much appreciated Amatya Gyananand's suggestion of invoking the debt later thus bringing the persians under our influence. Amatya Chanak II agrees to this proposal.

On the question of assisting the Parthians in their war against the Yavan, I thus conclude our policy. That we shall not partake in their wars, but are ready and willing to give assistance in their efforts. Send a messenger to the Parthian emperor, informing of this resolution. I declare this meeting concluded.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Update on this will come tomorrow.

Samrat Satakarni had now ruled the realm for almost 50 years. He saw till the end of the war in the South, and saw to the end of the Mauryas. The new dynasty of the Satavahanas now ruled Magadh. After Satakarni, it would be his son that would sit the throne of Magadh and rule Bharat. This was the largest empire in the world.

Spoiler :

For the first time in centuries, the whole of Bharata had come under one rule. Samrat Satakarni was the one true Chakravartin samrat who ruled from the Himalayas to the Southern seas.

The last independent Tamil king, the Chola king Perun Gilli, ruler of Chola Nadu and master of Kanchipuram submitted peacefully to Magadh. With this surrender, came the army of Kanchipuram, a garrison largely defended with Santhali spearmen and Dravidian spearmen. The Chola king and his line would function as a feudatory under the suzerainty of Magadh. Samrat Satakarni had them retrained in the arts of Northern fighting and included to the army of Magadh as armored spearmen.

Spoiler :

For the first time, Bharat acquired a navy. This was of course the Chola navy with a fleet of a score galleys. Though it was only a fledgling navy, it would be the first time that we could cast our power on the seas.

Spoiler :

A final pressing matter had bogged the emperor for long, that of the Persian king's offer. Yet again our Western neighbor is embroiled in war and memory of Alakshendra's march on Takshashila had not faded. The samrat was desirous of preventing a repeat of history but more than that, was conscious of his rajdharma which told him to shelter those who seek refuge. When the Parthians sought refuge could he refuse ? Yet, the sons of Bharat must not bleed for the cause of a foreign nation.

The samrat remembered that night when questions of dharma haunted his mind. A myriad of thoughts raced against each other depriving the old emperor of much needed sleep. When he did finally lose the strength to remain awake, he saw a dream. In that dream, he saw himself fighting in the battle of Kurukshetra alongside Yudhishtir and his magical chariot. Before him, stood the legendary king of dharma, the samrat could not help but question him on the matter before him. "Tell me o wise king, what must I do that ensures peace in my realm, and allows me to keep my dharma?" Yudhistir then said ,"I would invite you to know, that the desires of others (especially outsiders) must not be allowed to invoke the requirements of your dharma, so as to bind your fate with theirs. It is the way of the great story that nations come and go. Dharma dictates only that the Maha Bharat goes ever on..."

The next morning, the samrat faced the ministerium with clear mind. Most of the ministers including the foreign minister and the minister, Amatya Chanak and the minister for domestic affairs, Amatya Gyananand supported an alternative which kept the empire out of direct participation in the war while assisting Persia with monetary gifts. The emperor welcomed this decision stating "On the question of assisting the Parthians in their war against the Yavan, I thus conclude our policy. That we shall not partake in their wars, but are ready and willing to give assistance in their efforts".

Thus, gold from the treasury of Magadh was made ready to gift to the Persians in support of their war efforts, but there was a problem.

Spoiler :

Indian coins made of gold and silver could not be put to any use in buying Persian mercenaries. The Parthian king was miffed. "If you do not want to help us, then say so, don't demean yourselves with such fake pretenses! Persia can fight on its own if it has to." said the king. Frustrated and disappointed by his own error, Samrat sought to correct his embarrassing error. The gold which was now returned by Persia, was used to hire a Hyksos mercenary battalion which was camped in Herat. This together with the Dravidian mercenaries as well as the Kushan spearmen would be lent to Persia for her defense.

Doing so would achieve a dual purpose, on the one hand relieve Magadh from much wasteful financial expenses as well as secure a diplomatic favor from Persia. In the long run, it would also aid in the defeat of Bharata's old enemy, the Yavanas.

Spoiler :
http://i.imgur.com/LUo5qLp.jpg

Samrat Satakarni reflected over the achievements of the past. He saw to the end of the Tamils, the unity of the whole of Bharata, and brought reforms to the political system. He called upon the royal scribe, the immortal time traveller, who was now named Mrityunjaya (The defeater of death) for his famed immortality. To him the samrat accorded a task, "Write an account of my achievements and the achievements of those before me. Write it so, that future generations learn from both the good and evil of our time. Write mine own account, so that it be known of those actions which I repent and those I do not. I repent for the death of Pushyamitra Sunga, but for the execution of Satadhanvan and Brihadrath, I have no regrets." The scribe bowed and left as he proceeded to write the memoirs of past kings. These writings would later be incorporated as the Mrityunjaya Puraana.

As was the tradition, Prince Mallakarni sat the throne beside his father in a diarchy. Unfortunately, this diarchy would not last long. One day while Samrat Satakarni addressed the court on the Persian affair and on the question of Magadh's declining treasury, he started coughing uncontrollably. Blood was being spat out of his mouth, the royal vaidya was called to assist the Samrat. Everyone feared the worst. The ministerium was in shock, and so was the young and as yet untrained Mallakarni. The samrat was dying and before the day had finished, the Vaidyas announced the most terrible news. "Samrat Satakarni, the first of his name, Samrat of Magadh, and emperor of all of Bharata, the one true Chakravartin samrat,.... is no more" the royal vaidya broke down when saying those lines. Tragedy had struck Magadh at a time that it needed a leader the most.

With the new king in place the ministers must now take up a more active role. I requests all Amatyas to send in their proposals for the administration of the empire as their office requires.

I will deliberate on the proposals and make my conclusions. Any request on information pertaining to the state of the empire can be requested by the ministers. If anyone has any doubts just PM me for clarification.

Since we aren't at war, do I not do anything?

I suggest we do all we can to keep diplomacy between Persia and India friendly.

I, as economic minister, would suggest that science funding be cut until India can sustain a profit. I also urge the king to disband unnecessary regiments of mercenaries, as they constitute an unnecessary drain on the economy.

I disagree and suggest we use those mercenaries to wage war as it will bring Parthia and Samarat together.

I suggest we boost the population Magadh, as now peace prevails. We should continue domestic projects, such as libraries, temples, markets, aqueducts, and barracks, if they are not already built. This will strength Magadh when war does inevitably come in the future, and it will allow us to prosecute war on a much larger and more overwhelming scale.

@Grifguz : I would like you give a build order for each city. E.g Pataliputra builds X building - Y building - A units etc . Note : You cannot decide the build order for Kanchipuram as that is controlled by Raja Perun Gilli (Dumanios) .

@DKVM : It is peacetime so your office is to decide where peacetime deployments should be made. Which city gets how many troops and also what kind of units to build.

@Baseballpie : The mercenaries have been pledged to Parthia as per our treaty agreed to amongst all the ministers and between us and Persia.

@CaterpillarKing : VGL is r'ping the Parthian king, you can correspond with him directly now in your position as foreign minister. But you must take my leave before doing so. I won't accept any agreement made without my knowledge. Also, I would prefer you table your policy for every country we are in contact with. E.g : For China - , For Rome - , For Persia - , For Egypt - etc.

Further more, ministries would change every 35 years (7 turns), this means that you should plan policies for seven turns. It won't mean I'll hold new elections, simply change your names :p .

Let's go down the list, shall we?

Herat: Being a frontier province, it is best we continue to build the walls, while building barracks for later, along with Axemen and War Elephants. It would be wise to send reinforcements when we wise to recall Persian war debt. We should also look into exploiting the nearby diamonds.

Takshashila: The temple should continue, along with a monastery if not already built. With plenty of production, this city should build military assets as well, to reinforce the border, such as horse archers for quick skirmishing.

Indraprasth: Good city for growth, would be best devoted to markets and aqueducts, though it should first build a legion of works to reinforce our supply lines and resource allocation in the Northeast and South.

Varanasi: Continue building the Khajuarho, I'll relay more information once it is completed.

Pataliputra: Largely safe from any fight, our capital should focus on increasing commerce by building a market, while also building religious works for the people. It should also devote itself to constructing workers for other, less safe cities.

Avanti: This city is a frontier city as well, like its cousin in the north. It should continue to build the harbour, while seeking to build barracks. From there, we can expand south into the small Buddhist and Hindu kingdoms south of Magadh, via settlers.

Kanchipuram: Since we are not at war, then Kanchipuram will now switch to construction of a monastery. After that, a library.

Persians-Send in the mercenaries to fight against the Yavan (I am assuming the Yavan are the Greek) to the death to protect the country. I would also like to formally apologize to the Parthian emperor for offending them for suggesting we not offer physical aid. If the Samarat of Bharat will allow us to use our mercenaries most effectively then we would like to right this wrong. Also, use these mercenaries to their fullest extent until they die as they are sucking up Indian treasury.

Greek-Defend Persia from these people and only accept peace on our terms.

Romans-Keep relations cordial and attempt to trade knowledge or resources as frequently as possible.

Chinese-Similar to the Romans in that we must keep our relation cordial and trade but we must not trade away any prized military knowledge as we do not want to have to fight against our own technology.

May you send me a PM on the cities we have an what units we have?

@DKVM : I've sent you the pm check it out. Sorry for the delay.

On a different note : I am going to be making a ministerial discussion group for better administration. Also it would free this space from policy making posts. It would be like in the democratic caliphate, ministers can put their proposals in the group and discuss about the same there. I will make the final conclusions there and only post updates here. I'll let it pass for this round though. The policies which all of you have made here I'll keep.

Top Bottom