Patria Grande: Civilizations of the Americas

Yeah, the Social Policy costs were hella screwed up. Everything permanently cost 25 Culture.

Interestingly, I've gotten a very similar/identical issue when playtesting my unfinished California civ, even without Cuba enabled. I am quite curious to see what causes your bug, as I can't replicate my bug easily... this should probably have been something I brought up with ViceVirtuoso weeks ago when he asked if the lua he made for me was working, but oh well.

Also, did you ever get my PM, Leugi? I sent it about 10 days ago and never got a response, and the Steam Community's been acting up too much for me to add/message you directly on Steam.

@RawSasquatch: Oh yes, I did receive it; I just tend to forget about things I was doing sometimes, so forgot to answer :undecide:

It is Cuba. Or to be more precise, the newly implemented Latin American Event... I kind of messed up with the code and forgot to double check before removing a dummy policy.

Anyway, this will be addressed today.

So... updated and fixed! Please do tell me of any other issues you encounter.

Hey Leugi, I have an Idea for a native mesoamerican civ.

Kingdom of K'iche

Leader: Not sure yet, perhaps Balamb Kitze (founder of the the kingdom), or the mythical Ququmatz (founded the pre-hispanic capital of Qumarkaaj, and expanded the K'iche empire to its largest extent)

Unique Ability: Highlands Subjugation- Conquered City states act as allied city states (religious city states continue giving you religion, militaristic city-states continue gifting units, etc. etc.) The difference being that for all other intents and purposes they are puppeted cities of your empire; you get all of their resources and units, and the other civilizations may not compete for their favor.
The K'iche maya held a political and military hegemony to the neighboring tribes which lasted until the Spanish conquest.

UU: K'aq'chikel Warrior- Replaces Archer, No movement penalty on jungle, may move after attacking, may build spike trap improvement which deals significant damage to enemy units who step on it but is destroyed after one use.

UB: Sokib'al- Replaces barracks, +1 faith, units built in the city may earn the Altitude Training promotion as a tier two promotion.

Background links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K'iche'_Kingdom_of_Q'umarkaj
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_conquest_of_Guatemala
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_warfare
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q'umarkaj
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K'iche'_people

thoughts?

I really, really, REALLY, REALLY like that UA.

I'll have to agree, having CS keep their abilities after conquered sounds like fun. It's not that hard to code either.

Sounds like an interesting idea overall. Perhaps I'd change the UU so it focuses more on conquer than defense though.

Okay, how about this?

Unique Great Person: Holkan- Replaces Great General, has one of these bonuses, not sure which one would work best.
  • Can convert adjacent city-state units
  • Can conduct trade missions
  • Maybe has some kind of special bonus when demanding tribute from city-states

I'll have to agree, having CS keep their abilities after conquered sounds like fun. It's not that hard to code either.

Sounds like an interesting idea overall. Perhaps I'd change the UU so it focuses more on conquer than defense though.
Would that include keeping any Jewellery or Porcelain resource? Q'umarkaj might be a more fitting name. As for leader, possibly Tecun Uman since his Guatemala's national hero. As for UA, how about Baile de la Conquista, or Dance of the Conquest. Tecun is the best known leader.

Are you still planning on doing a Taino Civ? Because there are some interesting ideas I've had for them...

The Taino (Hatuey)
Start Bias: Coastal
UA: Kanoa
Domestic Sea Trade Routes generate :c5culture: Culture equal to 50% of their yields, rising to 75% after Navigation is researched. +1 :c5culture: Culture generated for each City founded on a different land mass.
UB: Zemi Carver (replaces Shrine)
+2 :c5faith: Faith. +1% bonus to :c5faith: Faith and :c5culture: Culture generation for each different Luxury, Strategic, or Bonus Resource within working range of the City in which it is built.
UI: Conuco (All new!)
May be built on Bananas, Wheat, Spices, Sugar, Wine, Citrus, and Truffles. Generates +1 :c5food: Food and an additional +1 to the primary yield of the tile. +1 additional :c5food: Food after Fertilizer is researched. Does not remove Jungle or Forest. Takes longer to build than a standard Improvement. Counts as a Farm or Plantation for relevant Pantheons etc. (e.g. Oral Tradition).
---
Some explanations. The Civ is designed to let you go Liberty without crushingly slow border expansion (compared to good ol' Tradition, that is) and get your cities tall fast. The UA allows you to supplement your newer settlements in terms of both nabbing decent tiles and increasing growth or boosting production, whichever is needed. That UA is called Kanoa, or canoe, for the very good reason that it was central to establishing the network of trade routes between the island hopping nations - a homogenous Taino culture is something of an illusion - and granting these people the ability to mingle and allow new ideas to spread.

The UI also supports this vision by boosting your ability to grow dramatically. The conuco was this kind of heaped mound that prepared the land for use as a field, which synergizes really well with a UI that bumps up the output of certain resources. This also works well with the UB, whose name derives from the zemis of Taino belief, which were the pantheon of spirits that applied to everything from specific crops to weather phenomena. Indeed, the word hurricane derives from the Taino word juracan, which roughly translates to "wrath of the spirits". Overall, this set of bonuses gives an emphasis on forward-settling and creating a Civ of scattered outposts linked by the sea trade that allowed the culture of the islanders to flourish... up until the Spaniards wiped 'em all out. Little sods.

Hopefully this is of some use to you. =]

Would that include keeping any Jewellery or Porcelain resource? Q'umarkaj might be a more fitting name. As for leader, possibly Tecun Uman since his Guatemala's national hero. As for UA, how about Baile de la Conquista, or Dance of the Conquest. Tecun is the best known leader.

Being a Guatemalan myself, you don't have to tell me how great Tecun Uman is. But he was a war leader rather than a political leader, he himself was the grandson of the K'iche king, I feel like it would be like making Douglas MacArthur the leader of America.

Also, Q'umarkaaj was the capital and the center of the empire, but K'iche was always the name of the culture.

Regarding the Jewelry and Porcelain, I think it would be fitting that they keep it since it would provide an incentive to conquer mercantile cs's

Just noticed I forgot to put Screenshots to the Cuban Events and decisions, so here you have! (The Independence event is the shared Latin-American Event):

Spoiler :

Being a Guatemalan myself, you don't have to tell me how great Tecun Uman is. But he was a war leader rather than a political leader, he himself was the grandson of the K'iche king, I feel like it would be like making Douglas MacArthur the leader of America.

Also, Q'umarkaaj was the capital and the center of the empire, but K'iche was always the name of the culture.

Regarding the Jewelry and Porcelain, I think it would be fitting that they keep it since it would provide an incentive to conquer mercantile cs's
Hmmm, looks like your right. Kind of puts him in the same Dido/Hannibal pot then. :undecide:

That Independence event will be hella rad in a Big Scenario Of The World...even if such things will be hard to actually come about since Spanish attempts at colonization will be thwarted by a multicontinental Mayan empire sending stuff into space by 1510.

...yeah all the New World stuff would be tricky to do since, while I have the general idea of progression from civ to civ via decision reformation tag-switching in Eurasia (pretty much like 'Etruscans come into contact with Greeks, reform into Rome, which is deluged by Goths, whose later Iberian holdings revolt into Aragon and Castile et al, which can unite into Spain proper, who then go rolling around the New World'), native American sorts seem like they'd be a boring thousand-turn slog of little meaningful being accomplished besides wonders or localized wars. We don't even have Paradox stuff to reference, aside from the possibility of actually getting to perform a Sunset Invasion of your own.

I believe there's enough stuff in Latin America to make things interesting. In Peru for example you can go from Caral to Tiwanaku To Inca To Aymara/Peru and I'm probably missing a step or two in the process, but still, all those mod civs exist and politics have the potential to be as interesting here as they are there.

Bolivia has been updated!

Bolivian Civilization
  • Leader: Belzu
  • UA: Religiosidad Popular: Cities generate +1 Culture and +2 Great Musician points for every religion being followed. During
    "We Love the King" days they generate
    +2 Happiness and +2 Tourism
  • UU: Colorado: The Colorado receives no penalty from hills or jungles, unlike the Rifleman which it replaces. They also earn extra Combat if the empire is Happy.
  • UU: Comparsa Folklórica: Bolivian replacement for Great Musicians. Aside from creating Great Works of Music and performing tours, the Comparsa may be expended by moving it into a city's tile, starting a 10 turn "We Love the King" Day

Events and Decisions:
Spoiler :

Change Notes:
Gameplay and Balance
- The Comparsas Folklóricas have been rebalanced. Now they are expended when creating WLTKD and their WLTKD don't last 20 turns, but rather 10 turns. The number of turns also scales with Game Speed.
- Because of this, the free Great Work Slots are no longer needed (as you'll be expending your Comparsas)
- The Happiness and Tourism from WLTKD has been doubled
- The combat bonus from happiness from Colorado's has been decreased

Other Changes
- When a Comparsa is expended for a WLTKD the GW music is played as the notification, the notification also shows the Comparsa icon.
- The City list has been updated thanks to GyraSolune
- The mod's name has been changed to help categorizing and now shows the version number

Compatibility Changes
- Added Compatibility with Events and Decisions
- Added Compatibility with JFD's upcoming Piety mod
- Added built-in TSL compatibility (roughly, as TSL maps only got mountains on the region)

"This webpage is not available" when I click on the download link.

Top Bottom