2014 NCAA Football Thread

I actually really do like that about Ohio State. I wish Alabama would have scheduled UAB, or would schedule Troy or USA. I'd even take a Samford if I had to. If you're going to schedule a team you're going to steamroll -- as everyone is -- why not keep it in state? Everybody wins . . .

EDIT:
Looks like all the Buckeye haters are already preparing their excuses just in case OSU wins so they can avoid admitting just how good the Buckeyes really are.
I know this is going to sound corny and old fashioned, but I'm actually going to need to watch the game before I decide why the team that wins won or why the team that loses lost . . .

I am pulling hard against Ohio State, but only because I don't think a team that loses to a team that finishes 7-6 should be in the national title conversation. But I recognize that my perspective differs from most, as was discussed ad nauseum in this very thread before the season started . . .

EDIT EDIT: Is no one going to jump on this Johnathan Taylor thing? I didn't like it when we let D.J. Pettway back and this seems worse, but Saban is big about keeping second chancers around as an example to the rest of the team. I guess here it's more worrisome because it seems like a pattern of behavior rather than an isolated error in judgment . . .

I actually really do like that about Ohio State. I wish Alabama would have scheduled UAB, or would schedule Troy or USA. I'd even take a Samford if I had to. If you're going to schedule a team you're going to steamroll -- as everyone is -- why not keep it in state? Everybody wins . . .

Texas A&M does that. If you look down our schedule, you'll see teams like Lamar, Sam Houston State, UTEP, SMU, Rice, UTSA (upcoming in the future)

Well those days are just about over if OSU's future schedule is any indication. UC and Bowling Green are the only Ohio schools OSU has scheduled between now and 2019.

EDIT:
I know this is going to sound corny and old fashioned, but I'm actually going to need to watch the game before I decide why the team that wins won or why the team that loses lost . . .

This is the correct attitude to have for games like this, but apparently the Buckeye haters in the media have to try to line up their excuses before hand, just in case their predicted outcome of Oregon dominating doesn't come to fruition.

I am pulling hard against Ohio State, but only because I don't think a team that loses to a team that finishes 7-6 should be in the national title conversation. But I recognize that my perspective differs from most, as was discussed ad nauseum in this very thread before the season started . . .

I am getting a little sick and tired of hearing about how the Buckeyes shouldn't have been in the playoffs because of an early season loss to VaTech. Saying they shouldn't have been in the playoffs because of that would be like saying any NFL playoff team that lost to an NFC South team this season doesn't deserve to be there.

I mean, the whole point if instituting a playoff in college football was to end that kind ridiculous reasoning. I also think the Buckeyes have more than proven they deserve to be there by beating the supposed number one team in the nation in a very convincing fashion despite what the final score said. Not to mention the Buckeyes have beaten two teams in a row that had a Heisman finalist and effectively turned those Heisman finalists into non-factors in both games. It is a simple fact that by the end of the regular season, there was no team in the entirety of FBS that was playing better than the Buckeyes. Despite your personal feelings on the matter, the committee was 100% correct in saying the Buckeyes are one of the four best teams in the nation and deserve a shot at playing for the title.

Well those days are just about over if OSU's future schedule is any indication. UC and Bowling Green are the only Ohio schools OSU has scheduled between now and 2019.

I don't think so. Remember, only two other years are totally booked. 2016 has an Ohio team, and the only reason 2015 doesn't is because Ohio State went out of their way to give a guarantee game to Hawaii. The program is in financial mess, and their AD at the time, Ben Jay, was a former associate AD at Ohio State and the team wanted to help out a friend with a fat contract. No other Ohio teams had openings left, so they hastily added Western Michigan to fill out the slate.

Since 2017-2022 are mostly full of major P5 teams and a secondary team (and with only UNLV really scheduled as a future body bag game), I'd expect Ohio State to fill many, not all, but many, of these remaining openings with Ohio teams.I think Ohio State grabs Toledo in 2019, and perhaps Ohio before then (2017?).

Saying they shouldn't have been in the playoffs because of that would be like saying any NFL playoff team that lost to an NFC South team this season doesn't deserve to be there.
And saying that is like saying CFB should try to be more like the NFL . . .
I mean, the whole point if instituting a playoff in college football was to end that kind ridiculous reasoning.
I know. It's sad . . .

I don't think so. Remember, only two other years are totally booked. 2016 has an Ohio team, and the only reason 2015 doesn't is because Ohio State went out of their way to give a guarantee game to Hawaii. The program is in financial mess, and their AD at the time, Ben Jay, was a former associate AD at Ohio State and the team wanted to help out a friend with a fat contract. No other Ohio teams had openings left, so they hastily added Western Michigan to fill out the slate.

Since 2017-2022 are mostly full of major P5 teams and a secondary team (and with only UNLV really scheduled as a future body bag game), I'd expect Ohio State to fill many, not all, but many, of these remaining openings with Ohio teams.I think Ohio State grabs Toledo in 2019, and perhaps Ohio before then (2017?).

Urban Meyer has made some comments that imply he doesn't like playing the other schools in Ohio because they don't do anything for the Buckeyes now that there is a playoff. He would much rather use the OOC games to compensate for any weaknesses in their conference schedule.

Now I know Urban Meyer isn't the AD and the AD ultimately has the final say in scheduling, but I would like to think Urban has quite a bit of influence in that decision and is going to push hard for getting some better quality opponents to fill those slots. I wouldn't be surprised to see Urban push OSU to try and schedule some lower-tier SEC or ACC schools. Basically I think Urban doesn't want to play a team unless they are from a power conference.

And saying that is like saying CFB should try to be more like the NFL . . .

No, it's pointing out that you can't judge how good or bad a team is by a single game.

Urban Meyer has made some comments that imply he doesn't like playing the other schools in Ohio because they don't do anything for the Buckeyes now that there is a playoff. He would much rather use the OOC games to compensate for any weaknesses in their conference schedule.

Now I know Urban Meyer isn't the AD and the AD ultimately has the final say in scheduling, but I would like to think Urban has quite a bit of influence in that decision and is going to push hard for getting some better quality opponents to fill those slots. I wouldn't be surprised to see Urban push OSU to try and schedule some lower-tier SEC or ACC schools. Basically I think Urban doesn't want to play a team unless they are from a power conference.

Sure, but like you said, Urban doesn't make the schedule (and honestly doesn't have THAT much influence). Gene Smith has said their strategy is to schedule one power team, one mid level team (a lower level P5 squad or a strong mid major), and one paycheck game.

Ohio State can't schedule 100% Power 5 teams every season. I don't really think anybody can. They are mandated to have at least seven home games every season, and with the nine game B1G conference schedule, that means they can only play one out of conference road game every other year. Very few P5 teams are willing to take a one-off trip to Columbus without a return date, and the ones that do (Like Oregon State), charge a LOT.

While I'm sure Smith and company will make those calls, at the end of the day, Ohio State is still going to play CUSA, American, MAC and Mountain West teams (just less of them). And if they have to pick from that group, there is pressure within the school, and the state, to grab an Ohio team.

And that can be fine. Toledo, BGSU, Cincinnati and sometimes Ohio are perfectly fine mid major football teams. Cincinnati might even be in the Big 12 by the time they play Ohio State again. if that's the worst team you play, your schedule is fine.

No, it's pointing out that you can't judge how good or bad a team is by a single game.
:lol: That's exactly what playoffs do! They use an entire season just to seed a bracket, then judge who progresses based on single-game performances . . .

Now, like I said I know most people love that and I recognize that I am in the minority favoring a broader view, but both sides must agree that that's what playoffs do . . .

And that can be fine. Toledo, BGSU, Cincinnati and sometimes Ohio are perfectly fine mid major football teams. Cincinnati might even be in the Big 12 by the time they play Ohio State again. if that's the worst team you play, your schedule is fine.

Nah, UC won't be moving into the Big 12 because of their basketball program. UC basketball wants to be in a conference that's halfway decent but not so good they can't compete. That's why they got out of the Big East. So while I think their football program would be an excellent fit in the Big 12, I think their basketball program will keep them out. Although I am a Xavier fan for basketball, I know enough about UC sports to know they definitely care more about their basketball program than their football program; even though their football has been a lot better than their basketball in recent years.

Nah, UC won't be moving into the Big 12 because of their basketball program. UC basketball wants to be in a conference that's halfway decent but not so good they can't compete. That's why they got out of the Big East. So while I think their football program would be an excellent fit in the Big 12, I think their basketball program will keep them out. Although I am a Xavier fan for basketball, I know enough about UC sports to know they definitely care more about their basketball program than their football program; even though their football has been a lot better than their basketball in recent years.

You think FBS schools make conference realignment decisions based on BASKETBALL? :lol::lol::lol:

UC's new AD was hired for the explicit purpose of getting them in the Big 12. It's why they're spending so much money on facility renovations too.

Also, Cincinnati didn't "leave" the Big East.

You think FBS schools make conference realignment decisions based on BASKETBALL? :lol::lol::lol:

UC's new AD was hired for the explicit purpose of getting them in the Big 12. It's why they're spending so much money on facility renovations too.

Also, Cincinnati didn't "leave" the Big East.

I have to disagree with you on this one. Unless UC is planning on having their basketball and football teams in different conferences (which, while not completely unheard of, is extremely rare and unconventional) I just don't see them making the move into the Big 12.

Of course, this is all assuming the Big 12 even wants UC bad enough to extend an invite to them. But with being left out of the CFP this season because of the lack of a title game, the Big 12 is definitely in the market for 2 more teams and there aren't many more programs looking to jump conferences that are better than UC so I'm not saying it is completely outside the realm of possibility. I just personally don't see it happening

And yes UC did leave the Big East, at least in basketball. I know the Big East just pretty much fell apart in football, but it is still going strong in basketball and UC didn't have to withdraw their basketball team from the conference, but they chose to anyway. Which I think was a bad move for them because the AAC is, in quite frank terms, a crap conference in both basketball and football and is doing nothing to help UC. I think they should have remained in the Big East in basketball and joined either the Big 12, MAC, or ACC in football.

Look, you can disagree with me all you want, but this isn't my opinion here. It's fact, based on how TV contracts work.

When the Big East disintegrated, Cincinnati wasn't offered membership in the basketball conference. The split was, in fact, explicitly about football...the other private, Catholic schools did not want to share decision making with large, public, football-driven institutions. Cincinnati did not have a choice. They wanted to go to the Big 12 in all sports, but were turned down.

The fact is, football makes exceptionally more money than basketball. It's not even close. The first-tier TV rights for the American conference are over $140 million dollars, dwarfing the TV payouts for Big East basketball (a superior competitive product). If the Bearcats had somehow found their way into a better basketball conference but downgraded their football to the MAC, they'd cost their athletic department tens of millions of dollars a year. Cincinnati can't do that.

Also, NO P5 conference is accepting Cincinnati as a basketball only member.

There is not a single FBS program in the country, with the exception of UMass, that would turn down football conference affiliation to protect basketball. The money disparity is too great.

Also, FWIW, the defending national champion in men's basketball is from the AAC. In it's worst year, it's a multi-bid basketball league. It's not a P5 football league, but its not like their basketball sucks.

Ohio State went out of their way to give a guarantee game to Hawaii.

I really want Texas A&M to schedule Hawaii too. Mainly because it would make the perfect excuse to go to Hawaii in the fall. Purely selfish and sadly highly unlikely to occur.

On another note, A&M scheduled Lamar for the same reason. The Lamar AD is actually an A&M alumn and needed a $$$ boost and we needed an opponent due to the scheduling mess changing conferences caused.

Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin confirmed today (Friday) that quarterback Kenny Hill has been granted his release from the program and can transfer to any school of his choice.

Looks like he will be headed to TCU. I guess to replace former A&M QB there, Matt Joeckel.

The Trill is gone?

So Alabama should be in the final instead of judging them for the loss to the team that lost to Virginia Tech? Perhaps TCU should go to the final given their solid performance in the Peach Bowl? I mean their decisive victory improved their body of work more than Ohio State's narrower victory against a team that lost to the team TCU stomped.

The point is, when you are judging a number of 1 loss teams, the team that lost to a very marginal team should be looked at with skepticism.

:lol: That's exactly what playoffs do! They use an entire season just to seed a bracket, then judge who progresses based on single-game performances . . .

Now, like I said I know most people love that and I recognize that I am in the minority favoring a broader view, but both sides must agree that that's what playoffs do . . .

I am sorry but the only reason I can fathom looking at a body of work to crown a champion of the season is so you can claim SEC superiority in that regard.

I am sorry but the only reason I can fathom looking at a body of work to crown a champion of the season is so you can claim SEC superiority in that regard.
Yeah, I think it's not a good idea, since most P5 teams' "body of work" is basically their conference schedule, three creampuffs, and maybe one decent team out of conference. So it'd basically just be picking the conference champion of the perceived best conference.

Top Bottom