Realpolitik of the Smoky Skies - The Reboot

((Please note: Senator the Honourable Magnive has named his character Ernest Barnard. This applies retrospectively and I have updated all the electoral results / Senate posts accordingly. I thought I'd better mention this otherwise it could be confusing for people. :)))

Today's edition of the Haven Herald contained the following front page article:

Exclusive: PAU-PPP Coalition Government Formation Imminent
by Harland Godwin

It here follows:

Spoiler :
In my interview with the leader of the Pulian Advancement Union (page 2), Senator the Honourable Ernest Barnard revealed the explosive news that next government of Pulias would be led by the Pulian Advancement Union in coalition with the Pulias People’s Party. He confirmed to me that the Pulias People’s Party was “a coalition partner” and that “they have been offered ministries, as is only natural,” he said.

The capital had been abuzz with rumours that the PPP was the most likely coalition partner for the PAU, based on their histories and policy compatibility, and some commentators saw it as all but confirmed when the PPP leader Senator Melda publicly backed the PAU Senator Heerlo’s bid for re-election as Prime Minister. But up until this point it was only speculation because anyone potentially involved in negotiations had remained tight-lipped, including when I interviewed Senator Melda in Haven of Peace recently.

Senator Barnard would not reveal the allocation of ministerial portfolios but did stipulate that his proposed ministerial reforms would be going ahead in some form, adjusting the concentration of responsibilities from the traditional four ministerial portfolios to a set of ten portfolios to prevent any one ministerial post from holding undue power and influence. Also included in the reforms is the introduction of the position of Deputy Prime Minister. The only indications we have as to who will receive which portfolios is that Senator Barnard will be holding responsibilities similar to his former role as interior minister under the Pulian government led by Senator Gurra in the First Senate.

As for what promises he had made to his erstwhile coalition partners, the Pulian People’s Party, he said “that should be clear once the government is finalized” but that they would be offered a variety of ministries “including, but not limited to, new ministries as part of my envisioned reform”. When asked about misgivings in the community and Senate about working with Senator Melda, specifically the appropriateness of his temperament as a member of government the Senator replied “I have nothing but confidence in Senator Melda”.

Finally, he commented on the rumours of leadership tensions between himself as leader of the party and Senator the Honourable Heerlo, as Prime Minister-Designate, by asserting his confidence in Senator Heerlo’s ability to govern the nation as Prime Minister, but did not rule out considering the possibility of taking on the position at some point in the future.

Based on what is known about Senator Barnard’s ministerial reforms and what has been indicated publicly so far, some speculation for a possible Cabinet makeup in the Second Heerlo ministry of the Third Senate is as follows:
  • Prime Minister: Senator Heerlo, PAU
  • Deputy Prime Minister: Presumably Senator Melda as leader of the PPP, unless this government follows the PAU’s established convention of the party leader leading the party not the nation in which case it would be Senator Gurra
  • Minister of Foreign Relations: Could go either way, although the PPP campaigned hard on international relations
  • Minister of Intelligence: Given that the PPP are considered by some to be more naïve about international conflict this could be a PAU Senator
  • Minister of Infrastructure: Could be Senator Barnard, PAU given his comments
  • Minister of Construction: Could be Senator Barnard, PAU given his comments
  • Minister of Economy: As both parties made budgetary promises this could go either way
  • Minister of Defence: As the PPP are avowed pacifists it would make the most sense for this to be a PAU Senator
  • Minister of Culture: Presumably a PPP Senator as per Senator Barnard’s comments on the PPP possessing an emphasis on cultural outcomes
  • Minister of Science: Both parties made scientific promises so it could go either way

And finally Pulias could see its first official Leader of the Opposition, which would presumably be Senator the Honourable Augustus unless the Pulian Imperial Party uses a similar leadership structure to the PAU, which I would consider unlikely, in which case it would be Senator Bazil.

A full account of my interview with Senator Barnard can be found on page 2.

Today's edition of the Haven Herald also contained the following article:

Earnest Earns Extra Electors, Expected to Engineer Executive: an interview with Senator Barnard
by Harland Godwin

It here follows:

Spoiler :
I was greatly honoured to receive an invitation to interview the venerable leader of the Pulian Advancement Union, Senator the Honourable Ernest Barnard. So I hurried back to the capital from Coventry as quickly as is possible, filled with anticipation.

We met in the Senator's medium-size house, fortuitously located directly across the road from the party officers of the Pulian Advancement Union. The house had a definite lived in feel. The interview took place in Senator Barnard's study, a very busy room with portraits and images depicting speeches, inaugurations, staff members and more. His bookcases were filled with books on statecraft and economics, where a number of folders and loose documents also made their home.

H. Godwin: Thank you for inviting me here today, Senator.

E. Barnard: Thank you for making the trip. I know from experience that the trip from Coventry is not an exceedingly pleasant one.

H.G.: That is so very true. I did not stay long in Coventry so the trip felt even longer on the return. I must say I've become a railway convert now. I truly hope it is as good as its proponents have been promising.

E.B.: As do I. While I have not been one of the loudest proponents, I too am looking forward to seeing it completed.

H.G.: May I say: congratulations on your reelection to the Senate.

E.B.: Thank you. I'm pleased that the people of Pulias once again trusted me to govern our country.

H.G.: As it looks like you will have a majority of votes for your party's Prime Ministerial nomination, congratulations on your ability to form your third consecutive government.

E.B.: Thank you once again. It was a team effort, so I will be sure to relay your congratulations to the rest of the Union.

H.G.: You have a wealth of ministerial experience: interior minister in the Gurra ministry, science minister in the First Heerlo ministry. Can you tell me what ministerial portfolios you'd like to try your hand at this time around?

E.B.: Given that the government has not yet been finalized, I will refrain from answering this question. I will, however, say that my new assignments will not be far from my role as minister of the Interior under the Gurra administration.

H.G.: Quite some time has passed since the declaration of the polls and the returning of the writs. Why is it that the new government hasn't yet been constituted? Are there ructions behind the scenes? Is this evidence of problems within your potential coalition partners before the government has even commenced?

E.B.: If there are problems with our coalition partners, I have yet to be made aware of them. What is making things take time is a combination of a few wrongful assumptions, as well as the details of some reforms we are planning.

H.G.: That sounds interesting. Would you care to elaborate on any of that?

E.B.: I do not believe that I have made a secret of the fact that I wish to change what ministries control what. As part of the coalition negotiations I requested that this be changed, and while response has been positive, a few kinks still needs to be worked out, to ensure that we don't see some ministries being far too powerful.

H.G.: I see. The Pulias People's Party have publicly declared their intent to support your party's nomination for the Prime Ministership. Is this because of backroom dealings?

E.B.: Backroom dealing? I wouldn’t call them that, but as a coalition partner, they have been offered ministries, as is only natural.

H.G.: What ministries have you offered to them?

E.B.: A variety, including, but not limited to, new ministries as part of my envisioned reform.

H.G.: What have you promised the Pulias People's Party in exchange for their support for your Prime Ministerial candidate?

E.B.: That should be clear once the government is finalized.

H.G.: In the recent election campaign Senator the Honourable Augustus of the Pulian Imperial Party claimed that the pacifist policies of the Pulias People's Party and your party, the Pulian Advancement Union, are "out of place in our time". How do you respond to this statement?

E.B.: I must admit that I suspect that Senator the Honourable Augustus is living in a different time than I do, as I believe that the road forward is peaceful coexistence with the rest of the world. That does not mean that we should neglect the military, but I believe that our first response to any foreign threat should be diplomacy. If that fails, then Pulias will show the world that it can stand firm against any threat.

H.G.: Some observers see your party and the Pulias People's Party as merely different brands of the same party. These observers wonder why your two parties don't recognise the reality of the situation and merge. What do you say to this?

E.B.: I believe that part of the issue is that we have been coalition partners since The Dawn, which means that we have been focusing on our similarities, rather than our differences. In the long-term, we do have different goals, though. While the Pulias People’s Party wishes to invest heavily in Culture, the Pulian Advancement Union has more focus on Production and Wealth.

H.G.: That's a very interesting explanation, thank you.

E.B.: You're welcome.

H.G.: You have led the Pulian Advancement Union since its inception twenty-two years ago. As the leader of the party which has participated in every government since the Dawn of modern Pulias many people were surprised you did not assume the Prime Ministership last term. And now, once again, Senator the Honourable Heerlo has been put forward as your party's candidate for the Prime Ministership. Some observers say there are power struggles within the party that prevent you from wresting power away from Senator the Honourable Heerlo. What do you say to these claims?

E.B.: Those claims are entirely untrue. Heerlo and I have a very good relationship, and while I am the leader of the party, I prefer to think of myself as a first among equals, of sort. We debate issues internally and reach a conclusion, which I then present to the world or whoever we are negotiating with. After the Gurra Administration, Heerlo and I had a discussion as to who of us should be Prime Minister if the opportunity arose, and I decided that it would be better for him to take the seat, while I focus on furthering our party.

H.G.: An interesting approach, to be sure. Do you have any plans of taking on the leadership of the nation yourself at some point in the future?

E.B.: I have no plans for it, but should circumstances arise in which I judge that Pulias would be best served with me as a Prime Minister, I would attempt to gain the post. As it is, I have nothing but confidence in Heerlo's ability to govern our country.

H.G.: Your coalition partner, the leader of the Pulias People's Party, Senator William Melda put quite a few noses out of joint due to this combative debating style during the election campaign. Do you think this will cause issues for you when you enter a political union with him and the party under his control?

E.B.: It is a possibility, but not one I am overly concerned about. The people still had faith enough in him to get him elected, so that is good enough for me.

H.G.: Are you worried his abrasive mannerisms could harm your government through association? His actions would represent you and your government, after all.

E.B.: I have nothing but confidence in Senator Melda.

H.G.: Duly noted. After twenty-two years of government, looking at the prospect of another ten years at least here at the start of the Third Senate: how has your family coped with you having such a high profile in Pulian society?

E.B.: I will not deny that it has caused strains, but when I married my wife a few years into my political career, she knew that politics was always going to be a big part of my life. Too big, at times such as elections, but she has never been anything but supportive.

H.G.: Any plans to retire at this stage?

E.B.: At the moment, no. There is still much work to be done.

H.G.: I look forward to watching the next Senate with interest, so I suppose I will see what work you have to be done. Thank you again for the invitation for me to meet you here in your lovely home.

E.B.: Thank you for coming.

Thus concluded the interview. I was scheduled to attend one more interview here in the capital but first I needed to get to a courier: I had a major scoop to report.

And to follow through with my earlier public declaration of support I hereby formally cast my vote in favour of the Pulian Advancement Union candidate Senator the Honourable Heerlo.

Okay, 3 votes for Heerlo out of 6 legislative members; one more will get him the seat of Prime Minister.
Also, may I introduce the second Honorable Senator from Coventry:

Spoiler :

One does rather wonder if this whole "steam" thing isn't going too far. He's completely useless when it comes to voting, but does make pretty good butter-steamed leeks...

I assume that my vote has already been counted, but just in case it hasn't, I vote for Heerlo.

I vote for Heerlo, if its even necessary. Melda, expect my interview in the next 2 days.

Also, may I introduce the second Honorable Senator from Coventry:
Spoiler :

One does rather wonder if this whole "steam" thing isn't going too far. He's completely useless when it comes to voting, but does make pretty good butter-steamed leeks...

He'd have to be better than the "Alien Guy".

But anyway, yeah, I vote for myself.

I will also vote for the Honorable Senator Heerlo.

((Did you get my PM about the interview amendment suggestion?)

I vote for Heerlo, if its even necessary. Melda, expect my interview in the next 2 days.

((Sure thing. Are we setting the timeline as before the PM vote or after it? If the latter we may need to tweak some of the questions.))

Senator the Honourable Heerlo now has five votes in support of continuing on as Prime Minister of Pulias in the Third Senate!

Once the Monarch swears him officially as Prime Minister the government can commence with operations.

Yes, I'm sorry that it took me so long, was busy with school. I will send revised version tomorrow.

((All good. Just thought you might have missed the PM and things have suddenly started moving very quickly here. ;)))

((Just while I was waiting for events to happen I was playing around with parliamentary seat representation and came up with a draft version of the Senates of Pulias.

I've used placeholder colours (red for PPP as a communistic/workers/progressive colour as it is in most of the non-US political world, blue for PAU just because, purple for PIP because purple was the colour of Ancient Roman royalty and later the emperors, black for the NEP because I thought gunmetal black was appropriate :p, grey for independents and white for 'vacant seat'.

I've also arranged them from left to right where left is pacifist and right is jingoist, however empty seats and independents I've included over the right not as any judgement as to their militancy. :p

What do you think?

I might add these to the Senate pages linked in my signature if they're a hit.

First Senate of Pulias --- 1800 to 1812 (also known as the 'interim government')

Second Senate of Pulias --- 1812 to 1822

Third Senate of Pulias --- 1822 to now

))

Attachments

• 1st Pulian Senate.png
    1st Pulian Senate.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 182
  • 2nd Pulian Senate.png
    2nd Pulian Senate.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 184
  • 3rd Pulian Senate.png
    3rd Pulian Senate.png
    6 KB · Views: 191
The Honorable Heerlo has been elected to the post of Supreme Chancellor Prime Minister for a second term. Congratulations, and hopefully things are all going as you had foreseen.

Thank you all for reelecting me.

I shall now make the announcement about the Senate.
Spoiler :
The Senate shall hereby be dissolved, because....
Spoiler :
Jokes aside, the real announcement of Ministerial appointments should be up soon.

The newly reelected Heerlo stands in the capital square of Pulias and delivers his inaugural speech.

Spoiler :
Greetings, good citizens of Pulias! I stand before you today as the reelected Prime Minister of our great nation. My heart is warmed and I am humbled that I have been allowed to return to this position. I will continue to do my best to lead Pulias into the future.

We have a number of capable leaders who have been elected to the Senate this past election; our first Prime Minister, Gurra, our friends in the PIP, Senators Augustus and Bazil, my friend and party leader Mr.Bernard, and of course Senator Melda. We shall all work together to represent each part of Pulias equally and voice your concerns in the government.

I will make it a point durnig this new term to strengthen our economy and imrpove the budget. Pulias must have a strong economic backbone if we are to be competitive in the world and defend against military threats to our borders. Like others in the government, I believe that a railway system will greatly strengthen our economy by promoting increased trade throughout the country. Besides that, it will make travel much easier. Maybe if we had a railroad to the capital the last time I came here, I wouldn't have nearly died in an ice storm!

In the past twenty-one years, our nation has already grown and prospered, but we still have a long way to go as of yet. We must continue to build modern Pulias and bring ourselves out of the chaos of the Dark Age. We are entering a new age of construction and enlightenment. Our scientists are making new discoveries everyday. And we tread into a history yet to be made, which we know nothing of. We must be wary, for there are potential threats both domestic and foreign that could take the liberty which we have worked so hard to build and maintain. However, if we stand firmly united we can, and we will, survive and propser!

I thank you all for attending today. I shall now allow you to return to your daily lives. I wish you well as you work, study, and make Pulias the great nation that it is by what you do everyday.

God bless you all, and God bless Pulias!

Btw, Melda, if Mr.Godwin is still in Pulias I could just stay here until he can interview me.

Btw, Melda, if Mr.Godwin is still in Pulias I could just stay here until he can interview me.

((Yeah, I was going to wait until after the government was sworn in so he could interview you in the Prime Minister's Office at Senate House. ;)))

Edit: ((Also, when Senate's in session I doubt any of us are going to see our home cities very much, except when Senate's in recess. So we'll all have 'capital homes' for when it's in session.))

Since the vote has already happened we may want to do a revised interview Melda.

I just thought of an excellent mechanic for our republic in EU4. The dutch republic has two opposing sides, statists who are more peaceful and trade based. They compete with the Orangists, nobles who look back to the old days where war and the elite were more important.

Top Bottom