Realpolitik of the Smoky Skies - The Reboot

It already looks like we'll never be able to get all the required paperwork passed, especially with the PPP staunchly opposed to war.

((And a war with Euruch is something that needs to happen, but I don't want them getting the drop on us.))

So, I'll take it that this means you're going inactive but not quitting the game as a whole? If so, I'll keep you on the active players roster but you won't accrue funds.

OOC: I'm active, just considering my next character right now, away from a party. And I'll still participate as an independent, just less intensively. This character will appear before the next election.

Haven't fully read Henry's post yet (looking forward to it, though! :D) but I can confirm PIP members such as Henry and Albert were invited to Harland 's funeral because of the good working relationship he had with them . I didn't want to speak for the players as to who actually attended or not though. :)

OOC: I'm active, just considering my next character right now, away from a party. And I'll still participate as an independent, just less intensively. This character will appear before the next election.

Okay, I see; this shouldn't be an issue.

In other news, according to an announcement on the front page CivFanatics is going to be going down for some time while the site migrates to a new host. Should you, for whatever reason, need to contact me in the interval, please do so via Steam (my username is the same on it as here).

(1889 is still travelling, so I'm taking it upon myself to get the ball rolling on this now the site's back up. :)))

Honourable colleagues, the time has come to vote upon who here among us shall be Prime Minister of the Fourth Senate.

On behalf of the Pulias People's Party, I hereby nominate my party president, the Senator for Pulias City, Senator Aurora Gurra.

As there was confusion about this process in the Third Senate, I am also going to propose we may cast our votes at any time, instead of waiting to hear who else puts themselves forward as a candidate; I know that my preferred candidate will be Senator Gurra, and she therefore has my vote.

(Bring on the nominations/votes!).

((Note: if you want to listen to the composition referred to in this article by the cultural reporter, the link to do so is here. Enjoy!))

Today's edition of the Godwin Herald also contained the following article:

More Melancholic Meandering
by Isaiah Meriwether

It here follows:

Spoiler :
The nation, and this paper in particular, have been rocked by recent events in Pulias City. But we must not lose sight of the fact that there is good in the world, and not all people are as craven and depraved and those who we have all read about in recent days, the types of people who need not be named.

I decided not to be cowed by the murderous cowards in the capital and strode about in public, proud of my employment at the Godwin Herald. I am not a particularly courageous man, but the degenerate movements that the capital has unfortunately spawned have thankfully not reached their poisoned tentacles into our fair city, a haven of peace in deed and in name.

I stumbled upon When Loneliness Comes at a recital the evening before last, and it is a dainty thing. As morose as we've come to expect from the local composer Charles Melda, to be sure. It has the feel about it of a song, except without lyrics; it seems as though the flute is singing, but I can't understand the words.

After the performance I convinced the ensemble to allow me a glance at the sheet music, because there were sounds here that were unfamiliar to me. And sure enough, upon the stave were extended harmonies in the piano lines that read like they should clash dissonantly, but for some reason fall upon the ear more pleasantly than expected, creating an almost wistful emotion in the listener.

I was unable to secure a formal interview with Mister Melda, but I did meet him in the marketplace where he quickly answered a few brief questions. He told me that he wrote the piece late at night in candlelight. I don't understand how he was able to keep track of all the dots of notes on the manuscript with the shadows flickering around. He conceded that it had been difficult but he felt compelled to write at that time as he unable to sleep. He also said that he had written lyrics, but they were too embarrassing to publish.

He didn't go into detail about the whys and wherefores of the emotional content, but I did get the sense that he felt intolerably lonely. His father, Senator the Honourable William Melda returned to the capital last week where the Fourth Senate is now in session. That his father has entered a demonstrably dangerous city could be preying upon his mind, but I got the sense that this was maybe was only an exacerbation, rather than a chief determiner of his melancholic disposition.

I am wondering if we ought to be concerned for the young composer whose works we've come to know and love in these past months. I am still waiting for a truly mature Melda work, which I don't believe we've yet heard. But one could do far worse than indulging in Mister Melda's When Loneliness Comes.

Portrait of Charles Melda, composer (1830)

Voting for Aurora as well.

I had drafted a post but the site ate it.

I was saying: well, that's a majority right there, making Senator Aurora Gurra the Prime Minister-elect and once the Emperor swears her in will make her the Third Prime Minister of Pulias.

But I also said we should hold off to allow Senators Heerlo and Huggins a chance to cast their votes, since the vote hasn't been going for very long yet. :)

Let's see if this post makes it. :p

I finally got through! I vote for Aurora Gurra for PM if voting is still going on.

(Can't get to the party forums yet though.)

The site being offline for a few days has allowed me to fulfill a request by cpm that I hadn't had a chance to get to until this point: the an in-universe rendering of the Constitution of Pulias.

This has been developed in consultation with and approval by cpm.

I have taken pains to ensure the constitution matches the game rules as established while also reflecting events in the scenario (e.g. the late Honourable Augustus Absoluti made a proposal for the right of all citizens to face a jury, which he wouldn't have done if the constsitiution already said it, which is why the constitution says 'may' face a jury instead of 'must' --- in this way Mister Absoluti was seeking to strenghen the existing constitutional provision by making it madnatory), another example is that the nation must always have three ministers in office --- Senator the Honourable Ernest Barnard was seen overseeing a crisis in the railway construction despite not being a Senator during the election).

The languauge is deliberately gendered --- being penned in 1800 it refers to 'he' exclusively throughout, however despite that allows for women's suffrage and also female Senators.

This constitution will be as though it will have been in force since the start of the scenario, and was presumably crafted by the members of the First Gurra Ministry: the late Gustavus Gurra, Senators Barnard and Heerlo, and the former Senator Silverman along with whoever else they enslisted to aid them in this endeavour.

Prior to this Constitution all sovereignty was invested in the Grand Majah, and he would have made the Royal Proclamation of 1800 which authorised the creation of a Senate and vested them with the sovereignty required to draft and establish this Constitution.

I'll post this first, then after that I'll go through and make the amendments to it brought about by the War Powers Act 1822 and the Constitutional Amendment Act 1822.

Pulian Realm Constitution Act

Pulian Realm Constitution Act - Long Title

An Act to constitute the Pulian Realm

Pulian Realm Constitution Act - Preamble

WHEREAS the people of Pulias, in the light of the Dawn, have agreed to unite in one indissoluble Realm under the Crown of Pulias, and under the Constitution hereby established:

And whereas it is expedient to provide for the admission into the Realm of other Pulian territories and possessions of the Crown:

Be it therefore enacted by the Grand High Exalted Majah's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the interim government, in this present Senate assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:​

Clause 1

Short title

This Act may be cited as the Pulian Realm Constitution Act.

Clause 2

Act to extend to the Grand Majah's successors

The provisions of this Act referring to the Grand High Exalted Majah shall extend to His Majesty's heirs and successors in the sovereignty of the Pulian Realm.​

Clause 3

Proclamation of Realm

It shall be lawful for the Grand High Exalted Majah, with the advice of the interim government, to declare by proclamation that, on and after a day therein appointed, not being later than one year after the passing of this Act, the people of Pulias shall be united in a national Realm under the name of the Pulian Realm.​

Clause 4

Commencement of Act

The Realm shall be established, and the Constitution of the Realm shall take effect, on and after the day so appointed.​

Clause 5

Operation of the Constitution and laws

This Act, and all laws made by the Senate of the Realm under the Constitution, shall be binding on the courts, judges, and people of every part of the Realm.​

Clause 6

Establishment of First Cities

The guiding principle of the of the interim government shall be to make ready the Realm for its first general election, which will necessitate the securing of nearby lands lost in the Fall through the establishment with wise consideration of two Cities, the establishment of which should not be unduly delayed.​

Clause 7

Dissolution of first Senate

The first Senate shall be immediately dissolved upon the establishment of the First Cities in preparation for a general election.​

Clause 8

Definitions

"Capital City" shall mean the city Pulias, the most significant settlement in the Realm at its establishment.

"The Cities" shall mean any significant settlements as may be admitted into or established by the Realm as Cities, and each of such parts of the Realm shall be called a City.

"The Crown" shall mean the Grand High Exalted Majah of Pulias and His Majesty's successors.

"First Cities" shall include the city Pulias and such Cities founded by the interim government.

"The Realm" shall mean the Pulian Realm as established under this Act.

Clause 9

Constitution

The Constitution of the Realm shall be as follows:​

The Constitution

The Constitution is divided as follows:

Top Bottom