Realpolitik of the Smoky Skies - The Reboot

So, if we're voting on the Senate Voting Act then I vote yes.

I'll try to get this information, and the survey responses from the independent, to you this coming weekend (probably will post the building stuff in the thread, so everyone can see it, if that's all right with you).

((Yeah that's perfect. :)))

So, if we're voting on the Senate Voting Act then I vote yes.

We're still technically in the debating period; voting to start in around twelve hours. But no-one's debating anything, so . . . :lol:

Pulian Electoral and Senatorial Summaries

Due to the limited space in my signature I will be using this post as a linking point for all Senates and general election results of Pulias since the Dawn.

These links will take you to each post for each Senate and election result.

I will be progressively updating this post, which can be accessed through the link in my signature.

((This relates to a completely different scenario, but anyone interested should check out how I've retired a character in an Ancient Greek era scenario. :) Link here.))

The time for debate has expired. I move that the bill be read for a second time.

Senator the Honourable Heerlo votes aye, as do I.

I vote in favour as well.

((We could let this vote go on so that everyone has a chance to vote but the NPC Senator is the only one who hasn't. I say we call it and move onto other business.))

The vote for the Senate Voting Act 1822 closes after half a day.

I think the ayes have it.

The bill passes in the affirmative. Unless the Grand Majah opposes it on constitutional grounds the bill passes into law.

The vote tally is below:

Ayes | Noes | Abstains
Heerlo (PAU)|none|Edwin Zachariah (Ind)
William Melda (PPP)||
Gustavus Gurra (PPP)||
Ernest Barnard (PAU)||
Albert Bazil (PIP)||
Augustus (PIP)||

With these voting rules duly adopted the framework for future bill proposals, debates, amendments and votes now exists and can be referred to. There won't be any need to say 'and this vote is open for two days', unless clarification questions need to be answered. In fact, I think I'll link the bill in my signature in case anyone in the future needs to refer back to it easily.

I thank everyone involved in this tripartisan endeavour.

This now clears the floor for the Orders Act 1822 which I will leave for the Prime Minister to introduce in his own time.

Today's edition of the Haven Herald contained the following article:

One Bill Stalls, Another Passes: Senate
by Harland Godwin

It here follows:

Spoiler :
In the past week the Senate has considered two bills: one proposed by the Opposition and the second proposed by the Government.

The Leader of the Opposition, Senator the Honourable Augustus, introduced a Private Senator's Bill to the Senate titled The Commission for Military Education and Conscription Act 1822. It sought to provide educational opportunities for able-bodied men in return for their possible future conscription in the Pulian armed forces. The bill did not enjoy the support of the Senate, and it ultimately stalled. The Opposition Leader, who must have been disappointed with the outcome explained the reasoning behind the legislation: "These measures were being proposed to prepare our state for an offensive undertaking against the Luddites around us. The war academies were merely the first step. We were then going to petition the Senate to commission more units to give these educated graduates a chance at work. This was meant to be a twofold campaign, improving our standing in the world by destroying the Luddite presence and reducing unemployment and low education levels at home."

The Deputy Prime Minister, Senator the Honourable William Melda, introduced a bill on behalf of the government titled the Senate Voting Act 1822. As the Prime Minister, Senator the Honourable Heerlo explained, the Act "will provide a good and fair set of rules for bringing legislation through the Senate." The legislation saw no opposition and passed into law with tripartisan support. There were no dissenting voices.

The legislative schedule for the Senate now appears to be cleared for the Prime Minister to introduce the Orders Act 1822, where keen observers, including many voters will be waiting to see which election promises the Government intends to honour and which ones they are intending to break.

A rundown of the Orders will be provided in the Haven Herald along with informed commentary once the Prime Minister introduces the legislation to the Senate.

Pulias Loses a Shining Star
by Isaiah Meriwether and Harland Godwin

It here follows:

Spoiler :
William Herschel, the astronomer famous for many important astronomical discoveries has died aged 83 at his home in Pulias City.

Senator Albert Bazil, the Pulian Imperial Party Senator for Pulias is a scientist and member of the Astronomical Society of Pulias and was a friend to Mister Herschel and in a statement he expressed his "great grief" at witnessing "a great scientist, an idol, and a good man leave this Earth into the afterlife." He went on to say Mister Herschel was someone he enjoyed listening to and discussing issues with and that it will take some time to process the grief of his loss. He described him as "a good, passionate man, that loved science" and reported that the aging astronomer used to say "Science is the most beautiful thing man has created, with its infinitely simple complexity," as evidence of his poetic knack for words despite being a scientist. Senator Bazil continued with "Maybe he saw the universe as a poem he was listening to, with every new discovery" and that he "would like to see him honoured and remembered for what he was: a true scientist and an even truer friend."

Born in what is now modern Eruch, he chose Pulias as his home. He was responsible for many scientific discoveries, including the discovery of Uranus, the only planet discovered since antiquity. He discovered how heat was transferred via infrared radiation and made deep sky surveys and groundbreaking research into stellar evolution.

The Astronomical Society of Pulias, based in Pulias City which he helped to found in 1820 released the following poetic statement in honour of their colleague: "He was the first man to discover a planet outside the orbit of Saturn. Aided by new contrivances which he himself both invented and constructed he broke through the barriers of the heavens and piercing and searching out the remoter depths of space he laid open to the eyes and intelligence of astronomers the vast gyrations of double stars. To the skill with which he separated the rays of the sun by prismatic analysis into heat and light, and to the industry with which he investigated the nature and the positions of the nebulae and of the luminous apparitions beyond the limits of our system, ever with innate modesty tempering his bolder conjectures, his contemporaries bear willing witness."

The world of science has surely lost a giant, but many readers may be surprised to learn he was also an avid musician, mastering the oboe, violin, harpsichord and organ, and that he was a prolific composer, creating numerous musical works, including twenty-four symphonies, many concertos and a large volume of sacred music.

In response to his discovery of Uranus in 1781, he is reported to have said "I have looked further into space than ever human being did before me. I have observed stars of which the light, it can be proved, must take two million years to reach the earth."

William Herschel is survived by his wife Mary and son John.

Pulias has truly lost a shining star.

Edwin's Eager Engagement: an interview with Senator Zachariah
by Harland Godwin

It here follows:

Spoiler :
Editor's note: The views expressed here by Senator Zachariah do not necessarily reflect the views of the Haven Herald nor any of its staff.

Of all the Senators I had interviewed so far, Senator Edwin Zachariah — appointed to the Senate by His Majesty to replace a casual vacancy caused by the departure of Senator Mischa — was certainly the most enigmatic. I met the independent Senator for Coventry in his bare-bones office in Senate House. I wasn't too sure how to take him.

Spoiler :

H. Godwin: Senator, congratulations on your appointment to the Senate.

E. Zachariah: Thank you, it’s a real pleasure to be here.

H.G.: How are you settling in here in the capital since your move from Coventry?

E.Z.: Coming to the capital from a frontier town is a bit of a shock for anyone, including an anthropomorphic kitchen appliance, but overall I’m doing quite nicely, thank you.

H.G.: I visited Coventry a few months ago. It was my first time there, but I was struck with such a sense that it really felt like a frontier. Do you think that life in Coventry is different to life everywhere else in Pulias?

E.Z.: Indeed! We in Coventry are on the edge of the civilized land in Pulias — and some might say in Europa — and our economy’s built around the hilly terrain, which means we can’t go in for more traditional farming like other places. Also, we haven’t got a cool name for the city; I heard that the name they wanted to use was too long for the sign!

H.G.: I heard that, too. More broadly, though, do you think Coventry has been let down by the major parties?

E.Z.: I’m not sure if it’s been let down completely, but there’s definitely a sense of dissatisfaction. Partly it’s that we on the frontier tend to be a bit more nervous about possible attacks, and to a degree we feel that the people in the interior of the nation — where the two main parties have their cores of support — might be overlooking our own needs.

H.G.: What do you think Coventry needs, as we move into the future?

E.Z.: We need to get more infrastructure built up, that’s certain. Coventry has a lot to offer, and there’s a genuine sense that we could become more fully integrated into the greater Pulias nation. Again, we’re also a bit concerned that a lack of transportation routes — at least roads, but more ideally rail networks — might jeopardize us should we get attacked.

H.G.: The Grand High Exalted Majah appointed you as Senator for Coventry to replace Senator Bouncy Mischa after his resignation. Do you have any comment in reaction to his resignation?

E.Z.: Well, if he hadn’t resigned, I wouldn’t be here! No, seriously, it’s always a bit disappointing when a good leader leaves the political field.

H.G.: From my understanding you have no previous political background or experience. Does the fact you were appointed by His Majesty when you have no political experience and you were not elected by the voters of Coventry bother you at all?

E.Z.: Not especially. First, we all have to get our start somewhere; we can’t all have grown up in politics — though this is really one of the first generations to be able to, after the Revolution and all that. Also, the Majah’s probably mental and at least he appointed me instead of a lump of granite or something similar, which is good because I at least have an idea of what the people of Coventry need.

H.G.: So you say. In that case, do you have any policy outcomes you would like to see in this term of the Senate?

E.Z.: Get more development in and around Coventry tops my list.

H.G.: As an independent, separate from the parties, what power do you expect to have to shape the policy agenda in this Senate?

E.Z.: Being a ‘neutral’ means I can focus less on partisanship and more on actually getting legislation passed. It also means that my voice is more important, because it can play a role in deciding whether or not a law passes.

H.G.: It's interesting that you should say that. According to the records of the Clerk of the Senate you abstained from the vote on the Ministerial Reform Act 1822. Were you making a political statement there?

E.Z.: No, actually, I fell asleep.

H.G.: According to the records of the Clerk of the Senate you abstained from all votes in the chamber in this term of the Senate. That's quite a few bills. Were you making political statements with those abstentions?

E.Z.: No, actually, I fell asleep again. I wonder if I haven’t got narcolepsy at times…

H.G.: I see. Has the Government approached you seeking your support on any of its measures?

E.Z.: No, it’s almost like they haven’t remembered I exist…

H.G.: Can you tell me what you think of the current Government?

E.Z.: Overall it seems quite functional, but I’m concerned that we may be seeing a pronounced partisan split beginning to take shape. It’ll be interesting to see what happens in the future.

H.G.: Well, something that isn't reflected in that partisan split is the yet-to-be-commenced national railway project which currently enjoys tripartisan support. What are your thoughts on the matter?

E.Z.: I’m all for it! Like I said, we need transportation to Coventry.

H.G.: There have been accusations the Government is using the Senate as a rubber stamp to push through reforms instead of allowing the Senate to review and debate legislation. What do you say to this? Is that your view from inside the chamber?

E.Z.: There may be a degree of that, but in my opinion it’s not an especially grave issue. To me, the Government just seems quite adept at crafting legislation that’s popular with the parties.

H.G.: Will you be running for reelection at the next election?

E.Z.: Unless I feel that a more qualified candidate steps up, most assuredly.

H.G.: I look forward to covering your reelection campaign, then. Thank you very much for your time today.

E.Z.: No problem! Do you want some steamed leeks?

H.G.: Uh, sure . . .

So there you have it, the possibly-narcoleptic independent Senator for Coventry.

Spoiler :
Wait, did I just interview a steam-powered automaton?

((Puns aside, while the Prime Minister is hammering out the finer details of the 1822 Orders I wanted to share something.

Here's a job I was thinking about putting in for.

I'm not actually going to put in for it, since some awesome developments have happened in my workplace in the last day or so, but that would be an awesome thing to have on my résumé. ;)

Not that I would have won it; I expect it would have been a very competitive application process. :p))

((I'm... Not entirely sure how to react to that interview, to be honest. Well, apart from laughing like a loon, of course.))

((I realised I committed the cardinal sin of not attributing my source for the image of Senator Zachariah!

It was created by cpm.))

My fellow Pulians, I address you with a heavy heart today. Today we have lost a man who was the embodiment of what Pulias is. William Herschel represents the inexorable, inevitable March towards Progress that resides in every Pulian man,woman and child. Though not a native Pulian the nation mourns for him, for he truly its son.

!Senatus Populusque Pulias!

Top Bottom