Realpolitik of the Smoky Skies - The Reboot

((Bear in mind not all William was saying was solely aimed at the Opposition. In this case it was also a swipe at the unfavourable press coverage that occurred when the Second Heerlo Ministry was first announced after the election. ;)))

((That makes more sense than what I was thinking, the Opposition doesn't seem to be that much of a thorn in the side of the current and probably future government.))

((Yeah, sorry for the confusion. :)

Mister Godwin is the biggest thorn in this Government's --- at least Senator Melda's! --- side.

Which out of context I think is hilarious, of course. :lol:))

I would like to take the opportunity to apologise to my colleague opposite for implying that he did not understand responsible government. Based on his words I misunderstood his intention. I would like to make the record clear and sincerely apologise for any mischaracterisation of his character on my behalf.

To better explain the Government's thinking behind this ministerial shuffle: there are four Government Senators. Nominally we would have distributed all the ministerial posts between the four of us, however we agreed as a Government to invite the non-Senator, the Honourable Mister Stevenson to serve. We did not need to do that; we decided to.

While I have not spoken with the crossbench about this issue, I would have thought the independent Senator for Coventry wouldn't have wanted to threaten his independence by serving in the Government. I may have been wrong in that. However even if he were interested in taking on a ministry in this Government I would not have the power to give it to him; these decisions are for the Cabinet as a whole to decide and the Cabinet has not discussed this possibility.

That then leaves the Opposition Senators, namely you and your party leader, the Leader of the Opposition. I do not see how that could possibly work. How could you or your party leader possibly hold the Government to account if you were part of it? How could you possibly be expected to maintain the independence from Government that is required to hold us to account, as a healthy democracy demands, if you were bound by Cabinet confidentiality and Cabinet solidarity? I really do not see how this would work. Either you would need to neglect your ministerial responsibilities --- and probably be stripped of them for disloyalty by effectively carrying out your Opposition duties, or you would do the people of Pulias a great disservice by being unable to criticise Government decisions with which you disagree due to Cabinet solidarity and confidentiality.

The Government wanted to make sure these arrangements were finalised as soon as possible to give confidence to the community. If word got out, perhaps by a particularly zealous newspaper that the Honourable Mister Stevenson hadn't been seen in Senate House for several weeks that would certainly give just cause for people to doubt that the ministries and departments under his control were being properly managed by the Government. We have avoided this by being upfront about the reallocation of responsibilities, and no-one will wonder this.

I hope this explains the Government's thinking behind the reshuffle. If this does not, please let me know and I will either explain here in the chamber or send you a written reply to your office.

((Oh, just out of character for a moment: I personally was keen to have the ministerial responsibilities reflect what was actually happening as soon as possible because if we were going to bump an inactive player I'd rather do it now, in year one of the Government rather than have him on the books for several years which would not properly reflect and give credit to the efforts of the players who were covering those responsibilities.))

Today's edition of the Haven Herald contained the following article:

Melda Ministry Machinations
by Harland Godwin

It here follows:

Spoiler :
There were fiery scenes in the Senate yesterday when the Acting Prime Minister, Senator the Honourable William Melda announced a Cabinet reshuffle of the Second Heerlo Ministry. The flashpoint was between the Acting Prime Minister and the Opposition Senator Albert Bazil, who objected to both the content and timing of the announcement.

One criticism of the reshuffle is the departure from the Government of the Honourable Mr. Howard Stevenson, formerly the Minister of Defence and Science. Both Senator Bazil and Senator Zachariah wondered why another Senator wasn't recruited to fill the gap left in the ministry by the Honourable Mr. Stevenson's departure: "why not assign another person for those two ministries? It makes no sense." Another criticism has been the timing, specifically that the Government chose to make the announcement while the Pulias City Naming bill was being debated in the chamber. Senator Bazil considered the timing of the announcement "strange to say the least. I do not like those who change ideas so quickly and unexpectedly."

The Government Minister, Senator the Honourable Ernest Barnard defended the Cabinet shuffle, stating that it "was merely making the reality official and easing the decision progress of the Government." He went on to say "we had to make decisions for the reshuffled ministries anyways. This reform means that we now know exactly who leads on decisions in those ministries, rather than waiting for somebody to take the initiative while we are discussing our overall plans." The Acting Prime Minister himself, Senator the Honourable Melda said he couldn't understand the consternation in some quarters about the announcement: "I really don't get it. I feel like the Government's damned if we do and damned if we don't. I wonder if some people just like having something to complain about."

Some critics of the Acting Prime Minister have taken to referring to the reshuffled Cabinet disparagingly as the "First Melda Ministry." However all politicians sought for comment have been quick to hose down any criticism of Senator the Honourable Melda for overstepping his authority, with Opposition Senator Bazil, crossbench Senator Zachariah and Government Senator Barnard all pointing out that while Senator the Honourable Melda is Acting Prime Minister he has the authority to make such announcements. Senator Zachariah however observed that "Since Melda is currently the acting PM, I suppose it is the First Melda Ministry." Meanwhile Senator Bazil said he would have liked to have heard from the Prime Minister, Senator the Honourable Heerlo directly about the matter.

Senator the Honourable Barnard rubbished suggestions of a Pulias People's Party take-over of Government, pointing to the fact that the Pulian Advancement Union maintained its number of portfolios and the PPP not gained any in the reshuffle. He dismissed claims that the Acting Prime Minister had acted unilaterally: "The reshuffle was not the result of an impulsive thought on William's side, but rather the result of debate among the Cabinet. In other words, we all agreed to this before this was made public."

Political friends and opponents all gave tribute to the retiring minister. "It is a shame to see him depart," the Opposition Senator for Pulias, Senator Bazil commented, a sentiment shared by the independent Senator for Coventry, Senator Edwin Zachariah. As one of the ministers gaining a portfolio from departing Honourable Mr. Stevenson, Senator the Honourable Barnard commented "It is always unfortunate to see a man of politics take his leave, but I hold on to hold that we may see Howard once more."

No comment has been publicly released detailing why the minister has taken his leave from the Government, but no-one seems to be suggesting that this is an indication of any instability in the Government itself, however Senator the Honourable Barnard did concede that it meant "a larger workload for us remaining PAU members" and Senator Zachariah suggested it pointed more broadly to "instability in the political structure of the nation as a whole."

The Defence portfolio has been reassigned to the Prime Minister, Senator the Honourable Heerlo which seems appropriate in light of his leadership of the Anti-Luddite Task Force. The Science portfolio has been reassigned to Senator the Honourable Barnard.

The Prime Minister and Leader of the Opposition were contacted for comment. A spokesman for the Anti-Luddite Task Force advised that they were presently unavailable for comment.

In honour of the departure of the Honourable Mr. Stevenson from political life a previously unpublished interview has been included on page 2.

Today's edition of the Haven Herald also contained the following article:

Stevenson Sanguine About Senatorial Snub: an interview with Mr. Stevenson
by Harland Godwin

It here follows:

Spoiler :
Editor's note: Mr. Godwin undertook this interview with the Honourable Mr. Howard Stevenson in the time after the 1822 general election, before the line-up of the Coalition Government was fully announced. It was not published at the time as Mr. Godwin wanted to follow up with the Honourable Mr. Stevenson before publishing once it became known that he had become a minister in the Second Heerlo Ministry. This interview is therefore belatedly published in honour of this retiring public figure. As this interview took place prior to the Honourable Mr. Stevenson receiving a ministry, he is therefore throughout referring to without the 'Honourable' honourific. No offence or insult is intended as the styles employed here were accurate at the time. The views expressed here by the Honourable Mr. Stevenson do not necessarily reflect the views of the Haven Herald nor any of its staff.

I was pleased to accept the invitation to interview the unsuccessful senatorial candidate for the Pulian Advancement Union in Pulias, Mr. Howard Stevenson. We met in one of the capital's beautifully manicured parks on a sunny day with wisps of white cloud dotting the sky; it was a very picturesque setting and felt almost blasphemous to be engaged in work on such a pleasant day.

H. Godwin: Thank you for agreeing to meet me, Mr. Stevenson.

H. Stevenson: Thank you for coming to meet me.

H.G.: Firstly please accept my sympathies on not being elected in what was clearly a crowded ballot paper here in the capital.

H.S.: Many thanks, I would also like to congratulate you on your newspaper having an incredible boost in popularity, mainly thanks to you.

H.G.: Why thank you for saying so, Mr. Stevenson; that is very kind of you. May I ask: why do you think you were unsuccessful in your bid for election?

H.S.: Well, it was most probably a lack of campaigning. As you may have noticed, I was not as active as some other prospective candidates during election time. Many people did not know about me or my stance on many political issues. I had only one public appearance early in the campaign.

H.G.: I see. Most people simply know you as the Pulian Advancement Union candidate for Pulias in the recent election. Would you share to share some more details about your background for the readers?

H.S.: Well, let me start with my history before the Fall. I was born in a Pre-Fall nation called England, to my parents, Henry and Margaret Stevenson. Our family was not poor but it was not rich either. My father worked as an engineer and my mother, as a cook for a local restaurant. We had enough money to send me off to university where I studied engineering, and took after my own father.

I then detected a hint of sadness from Mr. Stevenson as he said the following:

H.S.: After I had finished university, the events that lead to the Fall began. Sadly, both my mother and father were killed in the riots and looting that transpired in the Fall. Now, with all of the confusion of the time, I managed to emigrate to the land we today call Pulias, and I met my wife Martha.

I noticed the cloud of sadness lift from his person as he remembered events much happier than those of the Fall:

H.S.: She was my sunshine. My light. She brought me out of my depression from losing my parents. Out of my depression, I found a good job as an engineer and put my university degree to use. After I began earning a steady income, I proposed to Martha and she accepted. I ran for the Senate because I wanted to make sure that nothing like the Fall would never happen again, as it was the incompetence of the old politicians that had caused the anarchy and killed so many people.

H.G.: You've had a very interesting history, might I say, Mr. Stevenson. It is a shame a candidate of your earnestness was overlooked by the voters of Pulias. By way of comparison, Senator Mischa won the same number of votes as you did here in Pulias. Given that many voters mistook Senator Mischa for a candidate of your party, how does it feel to know that had you run in Coventry you would be a Senator in this term of government?

H.S.: I feel like it is best not to dwell on the past, as I was not elected, and sadly, if I spend too much time thinking about it, it will drive me bonkers. I would also give the same advice for the political scientists out there!

He laughed abruptly at the thought. I allowed him the moment of levity before I continued.

H.G.: How then do you feel knowing that Senator Mischa has renounced his seat in the Senate?

H.S.: I personally, do not take it as an insult, as I know how family matters can be. I do however, hope he does come back to Pulias and continues his political career, as the Honorable Gurra did.

H.G.: I've spoken to many voters in my home city of Haven of Peace. Would it surprise you to learn that some of them indicated you as the candidate they would most prefer to vote for, despite your party's candidate for Prime Minister running for reelection in their city, given that you were running in an entirely different city?

H.S.: It surprises me incredibly that that is the case. I have always thought that the Honorable Heerlo was a bit more popular than I in the Haven of Peace.

H.G.: He certainly enjoys a high level of popularity in the city, but there are some voters crying out for candidates other than the ones they received. How does it make you feel?

H.S.: Honestly, quite surprised. I did not think that the people of Haven of Peace would consider voting for me, even when not on their ballot.

H.G.: Well, they certainly wanted to vote for you, and were unhappy that they could not. Perhaps you and Senator the Honourable Heerlo should swap places next election?

H.S.: Perhaps!

We both laughed.

H.G.: Given that you are not a Senator and not bound by any party or ministerial positions, can you give me your honest appraisal of how the parties and candidates performed at the recent election?

H.S.: Well, shall we start with the two Senators who made headlines this year, the Honorable Senators Melda and Bazil? Both of them campaigned quite a bit and exchanged in a furious debate. I personally, believe that they have both earned their spots in the Senate as they are not afraid to stand up for what they believe in and what they were elected for. They both performed very well.

As for the elected Senators in Pulias, the Honorable Senators Barnard and Gurra. I will not talk about Bazil as I have already talked about him. Let us talk about Barnard. He was the most popular Senator by far, scoring the most votes out of any Senator. He is obviously very popular with the Pulians of Pulias City, and performed very well. The Honorable Gurra did not perform as well as Barnard and did not campaign as much.

As for Coventry, Augustus performed quite well and secured a seat in the Senate. And then, there is the Independent Senator. He did not campaign at all, nor did he present any of his beliefs about any political issues. I believe his platform was "vote for me and I will find aliens". He is the person people voted for because they had no other candidate. I give him zero out of ten.

Finally, as for the Haven of Peace, the Honorable Heerlo performed decently in the recent election, but he didn't campaign as much as he could have.

H.G.: Any standout highlights and lowlights?

H.S.: As I said, the Honorable Barnard was the most popular out of everyone, and a definite highlight. The independent Senator was a definite lowlight. Just a terrible political platform and no campaigning.

H.G.: Any policy positions taken by any parties, even your own, that you'd like see reversed, revised or otherwise changed?

H.S.: No, honestly. I would say that the PIP's warmongering policies be reversed, but it seems that the Honorable Bazil has cleared that up for us, and at this time, the Senator Augustus has not responded to your interview.

H.G.: Your party leader, Senator Barnard said the PIP and PAU will be forming government soon. Do you have anything to add to that?

H.S.: I feel that PIP was at an advantage on the government formation front because their beliefs are farther away from the PAU and the PPP than the PAU and PPP are.

H.G.: Do you ever intend to run for office again sometime in the future?

H.S.: I do intend to run for office again in ten years, but, I believe that will be my last time running.

H.G.: Can you tell me what your plans are now, given that the next election isn't scheduled to be held for ten years?

H.S.: I will definitely spend sometime with my wife, Martha, and calm down after the campaign, perhaps vacation to the frontier and see the beautiful sights.

H.G.: Having travelled to and from the frontier over a very short period of time I must warn you that the journey can be quite perilous. Thank you for your time and frankness. Best of luck with your future endeavours. Maybe we'll meet again in the 1832 campaign?

H.S.: Yes, I would think so, if your career continues.

Hi it’s me again. I'm going to give this game a try again. I said before that I wanted to be an economist from Haven of Peace but that was my father speaking for me. I will be a culturist in Pulias and I wish to join the PPP.

An open letter to our brave leaders

“My father worked hard in the coal mines all his life and his greatest dream was for his oldest son (that’s me) to go to Peace University, enter business and become wealthy. So after graduation I moved to Pulias, to be nearer to the beating heart of our great nation but I was shocked when I arrived.

Shocked to hear our leaders talking only of production quotas, about the treasury balances and now about war!

What has become of us? Have our horizons been so reduced that simple primitives in distant hovels can pose a serious challenge to our great nation?

In fact, I believe that in some way we can actually learn something from the Luddites, something about stepping away from our machines and the filth they constantly belch, something about fresh air and sunshine, something about the simple beauty of nature.

I am proud to give my support to the ideals of the PPP but I beseech our noble leaders to reconsider the policy of fear and suspicion that has elevated the Luddites to a danger they simply do not poses.”

I suppose I’ll need a character name too, Percy Huggins just sounds right to me.

((Oh boy. This might seem a little harsh but I bear no ill will towards you))

You speak of what we have become? You represent everything that is wrong with our youth today! The Luddite savages are no "threat"? Where you there when they first attacked our scouts? Will you tell that to the men who lost their lives, sons who lost their fathers, women who lost their husbands, mothers who lost their sons. Your father may have been virtuous but it is clear you do did not inherit them. Is that we have become? Effeminate businessmen who no longer to seek to punish our enemies, those who wish to see us destroyed? I sincerely hope that you see where you err and correct your thoughts in the future.

Of course sir I was not present when our brave scouts inadvertently violated Luddite territory. Nor was I present when the Luddites and our scouts defended themselves in the confusion of first contact, sadly creating orphans, widows, and cripples on both sides. But I am here now and I will not suppress my voice just to perpetuate the errors of our past. I do not ask that we change what has already been done, but why is it so foolish to want to change what has yet to be? I want to live in a nation that is safe not because our walls make us a citadel against the world but because our culture is a shinning beacon of light to the world.

The time for debate has expired.

As there was one amendment proposed, that all instances of 'Pulias City' be replaced with 'Puliana', this proposal to amend the bill is now put to a vote.

((NOTE: this vote at the moment is only to decide whether to replace 'Pulias City' in the bill proposal with 'Puliana'; it is not a vote on the merits of the bill as a whole; that will be a separate vote once this amendment proposal is voted on --- we can't very well vote on the final bill until we know the content of the bill, which we won't know until this amendment is either accepted or rejected.))

Time left to vote: [timer=06/09/2015 4:41 AM UTC;Expired][/timer]

Senator the Honourable William Melda
Acting Prime Minister of Pulias
Minister of Culture
President of the Pulias People's Party
Senator for Haven of Peace

As I mentioned previously in the debate I don't have a preference for what we call our capital city, which I think is only fair since I don't live here except when the Senate is in session. I will therefore be abstaining from the current vote on whether to adopt Senator Bazil's amendment to the bill or not.

I will be voting on the final bill once we reach that point in the process, though.

Personally I dislike city names with 'city' in them. Its redundant and...well, not very creative and I think the citizens of Puliana should be a beacon of creativity to the world!

((As I said, I don't have a horse in this race --- as long as we rename the city of Pulias to something other than our nation's name I don't mind.

Some arguments for Puliana seem to be:
  • it's more original/creative than appending 'City' to the end of the city's name
  • since we're changing the name we should take advantage to make a real change rather than a cosmetic one

Some arguments for Pulias City seem to be:
  • to reflect what people are already informally referring to the city as
  • that it's not the Senate's role to be renaming cities

Should be interesting to see how the vote goes. :)))

I vote Nay to the amendment.

((Also ooc: Pulias is the English nation in the Smoky Skies scenario so culturally Pulias City sounds better to me than the more Latinized (is that a word?) Puliana.))

I vote in favour of Pulias City.

Hi it’s me again. I'm going to give this game a try again. I said before that I wanted to be an economist from Haven of Peace but that was my father speaking for me. I will be a culturist in Pulias and I wish to join the PPP.

Welcome to the game again!

Will have the update up today I should think. Also, it should be noted that I went ahead and renamed "Pulias" to "Pulias City" on my own when playing the turns...

((One hour to go on the amendment proposal vote. At the moment it's tied two-all, which means the amendment motion will fail and the bill will be put to a vote with the original wording.

Want to see Puliana break through and punch Pulias City in the face? Vote 'aye!'

Want to bury Puliana in the cold, dark ground? Vote 'no!'))

A tie means Pulias City then?

Top Bottom