Realpolitik of the Smoky Skies - The Reboot

((The following edition of the Haven Herald was published all the way back in June 1822, about ten and a half years ago, long before the Luddite camp dispersement, before William Melda's resignation and before the deaths of Gustavus Gurra and Augustus Absoluti.))

The 15 June 1822 edition of the Haven Herald contained the following article:

New Party to Stop Rolling Stone
by Harland Godwin

Spoiler :
The "Mossback Party" has been registered with the Pulian Electoral Commission. The party's stated intention is to stop the rolling stone of societal change in Pulias. The party founder, wealthy economist Mr. Dot Eitus says he created the traditionalist party in an attempt to "balance the political culture". He described the existing political landscape as consisting of "a very powerful party to the left, one moderate party, and one strictly militarist party on the right" which in his view has "left out a sizeable portion of the population underrepresented." He argued that "Instead of creating a class of people entirely dependent on the government, let's hark back to an age where a man earned his keep through his own hard work, where the rich are not published for their position, but looked up to for their ingenuity and talent."

Reaction to these developments has been cautiously received across the political spectrum, with Mr. Percy Huggins, an outspoken citizen of Pulias City stating that he had no particular view on the new party other than "to welcome and encourage all politically minded individuals to express their heartfelt views." And presumably speaking from experience, he stated that "Taking a public stand on important issues is a courageous step that opens one to possible ostracism and rebuke but will improve the quality of debate and ultimately result in more enlightened policies."

The Acting Prime Minister and President of the Pulias People's Party, Senator the Honourable William Melda offered similar in-principle support, commenting that "I will always encourage people to stand up for what they believe it, and believe that diversity in the political sphere is good for a healthy democracy," but tempered it with his personal "concern" to see what he termed as "any attempt to interfere with the progress of our great modern nation, either technologically or socially."

Senator the Honourable Augustus Absoluti, Leader of the Opposition and Imperator of the Pulian Imperial Party, the incumbent traditionalist party in the Senate made clear that while he was "not averse to seeing an increase in diversity in the political spectrum in Pulias" he did say "I am worried about what one man can accomplish without binding to a larger political entity." To clarify he explained, "So far as I can tell this will remain a one-man party for a substantial amount of time, at the moment few new politicians have joined [the political sphere] so I am interested to see how the new party deals with this."

Will the rolling stone of Pulias gather Mossbacks? Only time will tell.

All Senators were contacted for comment.

An interview with Mr. Eitus is included on page 2.

The 15 June 1822 edition of the Haven Herald also contained the following article:

Magniloquent Magister's Muscoid Mandament: an interview with Mr. Eitus
by Harland Godwin

Spoiler :
After corresponding with the newest political player in town, I was quick to secure an interview at the earliest opportunity with Mr. Dot Eitus, the bold founder of the new traditionalist party, the Mossback Party. The Eitus name is well known in certain elite circles, and as I met Mr. Eitus for tea in his townhouse in an upmarket Pulias City neighbourhood well beyond my price range it was very clear to me that I was meeting a descendant of the pre-Dawn Pulian nobility, a true member of the old guard Establishment. He had dark, piercing eyes and dark hair which was well manicured. He was a very well groomed individual. It was obvious when he spoke that he was a very learned figure, and incredibly well read. The new political leader was every bit the model of politeness and cordiality associated with the gallant stereotype of a gentleman, an ideal which has admittedly taken a reputational toll in the years since the Fall.

We began:

H. Godwin: Thank you very much for agreeing to meet with me today, Mister Eitus.

D. Eitus: Thank you for coming Mister Godwin. I'm glad to have my story told.

H.G.: Glad to hear it. Mister Eitus, you would have to concede that traditionalist parties have not had the best track record of electoral success in modern Pulian history. Why do you think that is?

D.E.: I think perhaps they haven't been truly representative of those who would support a traditionalist agenda. In what I have read, it seems they have always built themselves around the idea that the opposite of the PPP is a policy of militant expansion. This of course is not the case. Being a traditionalist I can still seek peace in foreign affairs just as a member of the PPP can. It is my opinion that foreign policy comes secondary to domestic policy, so to craft your platform around foreign policy is just illogical. The people of Pulias care about their day-to-day, not what is happening thousands of kilometers away. It is the job of government to ensure they're protected from foreign threats so that they may go about their daily life without thought to what is happening in the outside world. They need to know that someone else is taking care of that.

H.G.: Traditionalist parties only picked up a third of all votes cast at the last general election. What makes you think you and your party will have greater appeal than those who've come before you?

D.E.: As I have previously alluded to, previous traditionalist parties missed the mark on what their target constituency cares about. My party, the Mossbacks, will take heed to this message and act on it.

H.G.: Why did you choose to form your own party, instead of joining a like-minded party such as the Pulian Imperial Party?

D.E.: The PIP has made a critical error in forming around the idea that militarism and conquest of others is central to making Pulias strong. I have indicated that I would support a strong military, but I have also indicated that I support an isolationist policy. Imperialism, in any fashion, is against our philosophy of cultural distinction. We seek to preserve what has made Pulias great, and it would be hypocritical of us to do this by tearing down the culture of another.

H.G.: Your party manifesto says that you would seek to take an isolationist stance in international affairs while maintaining a large standing army? Are these two objectives not contradictions?

D.E.: No, not necessarily. While we would like to turn the focus of national policy inward, it cannot be ignored that other people do exist. We simply believe it is best to keep interactions with these foreigners to a minimum. In doing this, we must keep a strong defensive force to protect ourselves against aggressors.

H.G.: Given your anti-interventionist military stance, what is your view of the Anti-Luddite Task Force headed by the Prime Minister, Senator the Honourable Heerlo and the Leader of the Opposition, Senator the Honourable Augustus Absoluti?

D.E.: I am in support of it. The Luddites have grown to be a threat to national security and should be addressed promptly.

H.G.: Are you concerned that your party contesting cities where the Pulian Imperial Party are also fielding candidates could split the traditionalist vote and allow more progressive or radical candidates to win?

D.E.: That is a good question, and I am sure many are asking the same thing. I think it is critical that you and others understand that first and foremost the Mossback Party is here to represent the underrepresented. I personally would not be able to sleep at night if I went even another day without bringing to the table their needs and their issues. If this seems inconvenient to any because of some out of touch political maneuverings then good. I am not here to play games, I am here to represent real people with real problems.

H.G.: You mentioned in at your party launch that you saw yourself as a defender against so-called "upstarts" who you say aim to degrade tradition, vilify the elite and ennobled. Would you care to elaborate more on who you consider these upstarts to be?

D.E.: I suppose up until this point all the other parties. Don't get me wrong, not every action they have taken has degraded tradition, but the general political outcomes of this and previous governments have done just that.

H.G.: What particular traditional Pulian values does your party claim to defend?

D.E.: We claim to defend the culture and tradition of Pulias of course! The hard work this nation was built on. The social and economic codes of conduct that have made us who we are.

H.G.: Was there something in particular that pushed you to enter the political arena at this time?

D.E.: Yes, as previously mentioned, I simply could not go another day leaving such a critical segment of our population underrepresented as it is.

H.G.: Looking at the party representation in the current Senate, should you have electoral success at the next election do you foresee any potential of working with any of the parties?

D.E.: I do see potential. Though political outcomes have been unsatisfactory thus far, I hope to work with whoever I can.

H.G.: As the next general election is not scheduled for another ten years, what are your plans until then?

D.E.: Lay the groundwork. There is much that goes into a political campaign and I want to be ready when the time comes.

We then turned to other matters (refer to New Party Pledges to Stop Rolling Stone on page 1 for more information about the formation of the Mossback Party). Before meeting Mr. Eitus I had been aware of his reputation for pompousness. However I must admit I was impressed with the eloquence of his speech, which was smooth and charming, and it was very obvious to me that I was in the presence of an extremely well educated fellow.

Whether his charms and personal charisma translate to political victory is anyone's guess, but it is clear that there is a new political player in town, and his name is Eitus.

((That first article's title had no alliteration! Give me your badge and your gun, your off the force:lol:))

((That first article's title had no alliteration! Give me your badge and your gun, your off the force:lol:))

((Haha! :lol: I'm surprised no-one noticed that's not the first one. ;)

I've tended to ameliorate the assiduity of the alliterations as they were becoming hard to keep up.))

Percy was surprised by the generosity of the support for The Luddite Conversion Society, but then daunted by the prospect for continuing what he had started. It would have been so easy if he had failed. He could have congratulated himself on his convictions and continued his comfortable life in the capitol. But now he had attracted volunteers, large quantities of used clothing, old toys and some new ones, some valuable medicines and even a fair amount of cash. Now he was responsible for doing something effective with it.

He used to cash to purchase mules, horses and wagons. He loaded the donations and the most dedicated volunteers and set off for Coventry. For Percy, Coventry was the frontier, it was closest to the Luddites, it was the logical place to establish the Luddite Conversion Society.

Inexperience made travelling difficult even in the best of conditions. On decent roads near the capitol, the wagons got stuck, horses got unhitched, the party got lost. As they crossed the boarder of Pulias into the wild between Coventry and the capitol these simple mishaps became catastrophes. Two days out and barely 10 miles past the border they were accosted by armed bandits. They took the medicine, whatever cash remained, the good clothes, the new toys, and the horses and headed of East. “East?” thought Percy, theses were no bandits, they were simple thieves, Pulian thieves preying on those travelling the wilderness then returning to their hypocritical lives in the capitol. Percy felt so naive but he was also deeply disappointed in his own people. While not forgetting the generosity that had sent him on this ill-fated quest he saw the thievery as a symptom of a society to ready to resort to force.

The theft was the final straw for many of the volunteers, but Percy was reinvigorated. He put what he could in the remaining wagons; those with mangy mules too scrawny or ill tempered to interest the thieves and continued on to Coventry. He was determined now not only to try and convert the Luddites but the change Pulias too.

(OOC: Percy Huggins moves to Coventry)

As a citizen of Pulias, I would like to suggest opening up the Government of Pulias for everyone to take part of public government documents first-hand. Currently, information on public matters is only given out on the discretion of the Grand Majah. It would widen the democratic process if citizens of Pulias could obtain such information from government offices by themselves.

If such a reform requires senatorial action it will be on my list of priorities if I were to run for, and be elected as a member of, Senate.

- Aurora Gurra

((Out of character, what I'm asking for is if it would be possible to provide a save with each update to make it easier for us players to obtain more information on things such as possible builds, social policies, available research projects etc.
Edit: If this were to happen it should be a supplement to the updates of course, not a replacement for screenshots.))

((Perhaps, but even if Percy Huggins were to run for a Senate seat there would still only be two candidates up for two seats since the independent was just a replacement Senator. Unless someone else moves to or join in Coventry that is.))

((I dont see a Luddite sympathizer pacifist gaining much support in Coventry however. It has the most jingoists and I believe it was near the former encampment so no major amount of sympathizers there))

((Out of character, what I'm asking for is if it would be possible to provide a save with each update to make it easier for us players to obtain more information on things such as possible builds, social policies, available research projects etc.
Edit: If this were to happen it should be a supplement to the updates of course, not a replacement for screenshots.))

No problem. Do you want one this election cycle, or would you rather wait until the next one?

No problem. Do you want one this election cycle, or would you rather wait until the next one?

Great! Since this election cycle is just starting, it would be nice to have one for the current turn.

((Edit: This is my 666th post! :devil:))

Over the last few days the Pulias People's Party has held a party congress to, among other things, elect a new President and Secretary of the Party after William Melda's resignation and Gustavus Gurra's death.

Party member Aurora Gurra made an appearance outside the party's Pulias City headquarters on the evening of the congress' third and final day, where she presented the public with a list of announcements.

Good evening Pulias! The Pulias People's Party has concluded its Congress of 1832 where we have prepared for the upcoming elections and senatorial term, and elected spokespersons of the party.

A unanimous congress elected me, Aurora Gurra, for the position of President of the Pulias People's Party which is why I am standing here tonight. I feel honoured to fill Comrade Melda's shoes, and will do my very best to guide our party through the next ten years that lie ahead of us.

For the position of Secretary of the Pulias People's Party the congress elected my esteemed Comrade Percy Huggins. It is an important task and I wish him the best of luck in his new responsibilities.

And on behalf of the party, I will now present the Pulias People's Party candidates for the upcoming Pulian general elections of 1832.

William Melda is running for Senate in Haven of Peace.
Percy Huggins is running for Senate in Coventry.
I, Aurora Gurra, is running for Senate in Pulias City.

I look forward to meeting with voters in this campaign and to elaborate further on how I seek to develop our nation, but I can tell you one thing already: we in the Pulias People's party are dedicated to a Pulias of peace, productivity and progress. A Pulias that moves forward for justice and equality. A Pulias by the people, for the people.

Thank you.

Once again there was a Gurra in charge of the Pulias People's Party.

William smiled. It reminded him of when he was a young man.

Of course, that it was a woman in charge was very new --- a world first as far as he knew, and he was an authority on historical matters from his time as a historian in the Museum of Haven of Peace --- and would never have been possible when he was a young man.

Times they were changing, no matter how much stuck-in-the-mud traditionalists might not like it.

The past week had been very interesting for Henry. With the PPP announcing that a woman would lead their party and run for a seat in the capital no less, the country had been abuzz with debate and conversation. Henry wasn't averse to the idea, since his own party the PIP was supposed to embody the inevitable march of Pulian progress but he did have a good laugh when he imagined of one Mr.Dot Eitus.

((Does anyone actually plan on changing their political stance or political opinions de facto hereditary?))

((Well, William has had a slight realignment of his beliefs, specifically regarding what conduct a civilised society should have to uncivilised peoples which he hadn't really thought about before.

And Aurora seems to differ in some views to her father.

You're right, though: passing the torch to the next generation is the best opportunity for fundamental changes of policy, which would seem a bit schismatic if but for the change of generation.

I have no intention to step away from the PPP, however each generation will face its own challenges, and I'm sure each party will subtly or overtly adapt to match these different circumstances. For example, as pacifistic as the PPP was, no-one twenty years ago was even considering the human rights of Luddites, so these things will change and it'll be interesting to see how the parties drift toward and apart each other.

And that's ignoring what kind of political intrigues could crop up, with resignations, defections, mergers or unexpected coalitions. ;)

Interesting times! :D))

((I really someone to explain these so called human rights violations, the only accusations have come from Luddite sympathizers and I would be interested in an objective explanation))

((It would be really cool if cpm provided general information about the peoples thoughts in the different cities about major events, so we can get more accurate info))

Making an official speech in Coventry.

Friends and countrymen, I am sure most of you have heard the news about the Pulian Peoples Party member running for office in our great city. Percy Higgins, known Luddite sympathizer wants to represent you! I see many of you here who fought against those barbarians with my late father. This man wants our nation to accept them into the fold! This spits on the graves of your brothers, fathers and sons, men who sacrificed everything to keep our nation safe from the enemies of progress. He asks us to open the gates to them and accept them as our brothers. What do you say? I say no! You have sacrificed to much to let it all be undone by a naive man better of in the ball room than the Senate floor!

Say no to Luddites! Say no to sympathizers!

The former Prime Minister Heerlo once again addresses a crowd of Pulian citizens in the capital.

Spoiler :
Greetings, fellow citizens of Pulias!

I merely wished to address today the rumor that there were human rights violations in our nation's recent war with the Luddites. As I'm sure you all know, I, along with the late Senator Augustus Absoluti, oversaw this operation. What we went there to do was to eliminate a threat to the citizens of Pulias, mostly to the citizens of Coventry. And that we have done. And while I was aware that the families of these violent men resided in their base of operations, I gave our men direct orders to do their best not to harm anyone who was non-violent. I deeply regret the loss of any innocent lives that might have been lost, nonetheless.

And now there are, indeed, refugees from the Luddite base, and I will do whatever I can to aid these unfortunate survivors. But it must be remembered that our nation was not at fault in doing what we did. The Luddites have proven time and time again that they do not want peace. They want to destroy all modern societies and stop the progression of economies and technology.

Now it is not that they could have actually destroyed our nation, but they very well could have killed or kidnapped any of our innocent citizens along the frontier. And that, the honorable Augustus and I would not allow. I am saddened by the unfortunate circumstances these refugees now find themselves in, but we must remember: It was brought on by the violent nature of their husbands and fathers, and we are in no way responsible for their plight.

That said, I fully support the Luddite Conversion Society's attempts at helping these refugees. But they must remember, that not all Luddites are refugees. Whenever we encounter Luddites who refuse to negotiate and will only fight us, what choice do we have but to fight back? At the end of the day, we must focus most of all on defending our own citizens, while doing our best not to harm any innocent foreign individuals in the process. I thank you for your time today.

God bless our country, and God bless all the unfortunate victims of war.

Top Bottom