The Tribal Elders of Delphi

I usually do a cultural victory too, so domination would be something a little different.

((Once we're satisfied our happiness levels are under control, we could continue militarising and dominating our neighbours, especially those ones the in-game advisor has tagged as weak.

Glory to the Great Delphian Empire! :p

*cough*))

((I'm not completely 'go! go! go!' for domination, but I do see it and cultural victories as the most achievable options. :)))

((I haven't tried the new culture/tourism system for a victory, but I'm probably going to try that in the current game I'm doing in SP with Poland. If you decide to go cultural, that way I'll have an idea or two on how it works, but are we really at the point where we can do it? We kinda lack religion to support us.

On the Polish game I've managed to get a very early religion, and some really good perks on it.
For a reference, the religion I got is something along the lines of:

> Pantheon: Goddess of the hunt, because my second city (Krakow) really needed the food, and it was the city that allowed me the religion since it could work Mt. Kailsh (6 faith, 2 hapiness)
> Founder: Tithe, because goooooold
> Follower: Pagodas & Cathedrals
> Enhancer: Religious Texts for the spread, so I can get more gold from Tithe
> Reformation (From Policies): Sacred Sites (+2 Tourism for faith-bought buildings).

State of my Kingdom
Spoiler :

Strangely, Alexander barely expanded.
))

((This will sound a bit random, but I swear there's a purpose to it. :p

Can each of you pick a favourite colour which you'd like to represent you?

First in best dressed (i.e. in the case of a dispute whoever posts first reserves it).

The reason for this will become apparent in time. ;)))

((Queen Sueang obviously wants the Siamese yellow from in-game. RGB 245,230,55 #F5E637))

((I'm seriously getting worried about this... :p
A dark green for me then: #00CC00, RGB 0,204,0

Also, expect the game to be played this Wednesday. Let me just time my ETA to play this:
[TIMER="06/17/2015 09:00 PM GMT; The time has come... TO BUILD!"][/TIMER]))

((I'm seriously getting worried about this... :p

((Mwahahah. :satan:

Also, I love that you guys gave me the exact RGB values; you're awesome! :D))

Also, expect the game to be played this Wednesday. Let me just time my ETA to play this:
[ TIMER=

((Excellent. I appreciate how you've managed our expectations with that. Very well done, good sir. :king:))

Edit: Also, to ensure a smooth transition once Bazil's final term is over, can I get a show of hands who is happy with me assuming the leadership immediately after him?

((Well, I was waiting for a bit more discussion on what I should aim for, and was playing a bit on SP to get some achievements, and then this last week when I was going for it, i got swamped.

In the end, the more discussion there is, the faster I'll do things really, that's my conclusion, I'm kinda afraid of screwing up. But well, now you know when you get more stuff. It's still faster than most of the other games running, amazingly :crazyeye:

Also, I agree with you taking over Melda, I'm waiting to see what you have planned.)

I'm not that picky but I loved Sultan Bey from L. Ron. Hubbard's Mission Earth series. He is described as wearing a mustard yellow overcoat which always sounded pretty cool, although I've never seemed to find the right color whenever I've been shopping. I've always imagined it more Dijon than Heinz if that helps. If the contrast isn't good for whatever your doing then just make it more brown until your happy, I won't be that picky.

Looks good.

((I take it from the lack of dissent to my comment earlier that everyone's cool with my ascension to the throne after King Bazil is done. ;)))

((Nothing against as I said.

Also, incoming!

EDIT: added save and images, story will come between tomorrow and friday. Melda, get your save and your things, you're moving in.))

=======================
Story
=======================

15 years had passed since the start of the second reign. And more were going. Bazil felt, above all, old. He was tired of overseeing all of the kingdom, of fighting the political wars behind the council's interests, to integrate the extinct Siamese into the kingdom, to guarantee the people's safety... All were noble ideas, and it was more than he could've dreamed of. He was a merchant's son, not a king. But he performed as well as he could, and most seemed to like him, or at least, prefer him to bloodier kings. Yes, maybe he wasn't a king by right, but the people didn't seem to care. All they wanted was to build, trade, drink and mate. That was the simple life that attracted so many here, and even more from outside. "The Builder"... Sounded well, but it had such a price to pay.

But he was now old and tired of overseeing everything. And he wondered who'd follow his steps. His son? No way, he wouldn't want him to be thrown in the middle of the council. Unlike himself, he had a burden already waiting, a bigger burden than his. And he was not the man for that job. He knew his son wanted to simply trade, and he was good at it too... It reminded him of his father, and how much like his father the boy turned out to be. But he wouldn't be able to keep him away from the political scene, not by staying. His wife was now sick and unable to take care of herself, and the boy had to do his life, not take care of two old people, and then be thrown in the pit of serpents that was the council and their greed.

He had to ready everything for his leave.

Bazil summoned Melodios and Phrenios to the garden, on a warm spring day. There he could wander near the edge of the palace, and watch the city life under. It was something that amused him now, watching other go about their daily lives, wishing to be like them, and just disappear. His thoughts were interrupted by Melodios:

Melodios - You summoned us my king?

Phrenios - You don't look so well

Bazil - Ah leave the king behind, I'm way too tired for those things. How are you my friends? Has the political life been treating you well?

Both nodded with a timid smile, and everyone knew that it was harder than it looked.

Bazil - well, I suppose you both want to know why I stole you from your duties and families... I'm old, as you know...

Melodios - I believe we've noticed that a few times, yes...

Phrenios snickered at that comment, and Bazil couldn't help but laugh slightly.

Bazil - Yes, I believe my wrinkled skins and my increasing baldness have given me away. But, as you may know, that also comes with problems... And I don't mean the bowel problems Phrenios, before you think about that - he smiled while saying so - I mean the big ones that are not related to me.

This left Phrenios and Melodios looking at each other, wondering if it was what they both seemed to think.

Bazil - The older I am, the less strength I have. The harder it is even walking amongst these garden. Now imagine guiding the life of the kingdom... I can't fight this much longer, and I need to rest sooner rather than later. But I'm worried... King Alexander's death showed us that any ruling man can go mad, and even the council has a lot of power to fight those they don't find their interests aligned with. It worries me that more warring Kings will follow, and that this beautiful kingdom will fall into war again.
It may fall again, but if that's the case, I'd rather have it be the will of most, rather than the will of one...

This left a worried face on them.

Melodios - And what would you have us do?

Bazil - You're smart, way smarter than me on all the political shenanigans. And Phrenios seems to want to nag the council more than ever, so I'd say you're the most suited for this task. I want you to find a way to govern the kindgom that doesn't envolve a king.

Phrenios - What? That's madness... How would such a thing work?

Melodios - Well, I guess that's up to us to figure out - said him with a terrified look, knowing how hard such a task would be.

Bazil - I know it sounds hard, but that's the one challenge I can't do myself. And your father did a dangerous mission back in his days, and his blood runs on your veins. I'm sure you'll figure something out. I need your help one last time, before I step out of being king. Yes, you heard me well, I will stop ruling sooner rather than later, and I intend to step out while I steal breath. And I will hear no "buts" on this, my decision has been made. Take whatever resources you need, our libraries are open to you at any time. Read, investigate, and ponder all you need. Now, if you don't mind, I'm gonna sit and take a nap, being old like this has its problems, you know...

Melodios left the meeting wondering if this could be his chance to actually have its revenge in a more subtle way on the council. This could be an interesting move from the old king.

=======================
Bazil's personal logs
=======================

Turn 16 - Game Turn 156 // 920 AD

The north holds little secrets by land that we can uncover, so supplies and ships are sent north, so we can arrange some sea-based scouting
Spoiler :

Khirra is now available to focus on a new project. Looking at things, a watermill would cost us some gold, but allow for better food growth and some extra work, shrines while useful can wait a bit, but a fishing boat is quick and easy, and it would allow us to grow more. And I'd like to spend some of the hard earned money on acquiring more land, so I figure that a boat followed by a watermill is the best way. A new lumber mill is planned near Khirra, to support the expected future growth.

> After years of fighting on the west, we were able to officially disband the barbarian camp that plagued the area. The area seems to know now a new sense of peace that had been forgotten for years.
Spoiler :

Turn 17 - Game Turn 157 // 940 AD

Farming keeps growing near Si Satchanalai and Muang, it seems the old Siamese territory is widely underused. We really need to improve things there, some of the people still suffer with hunger.

((> I wish I could buy that copper tile near the Shoshone, so we could reap the benefits and deny it to them :(
Spoiler :
))

Traders from Quebec city keep on flowing with more and more to trade, it seems the area is developing well.
Spoiler :

Near the autumn, several trade agreements have been attempted with the several nations, but none were of any use to us. Resentment still runs high amongst these leaders.
Spoiler :

Turn 18 - Game Turn 158 // 960 AD

Almaty seems to have been enjoying our latest discoveries, and has arranged for some of their scientists to come and research on the city for a few years. Our openness to sharing with them seems to have left them delighted, and right now, I'll take all the friends I can have.
((Almaty is awed by our tech research and we become friends, so incoming military units (should we stop them spawning for now?) ))

If Delphi is to build in the future, we might as well prepare our great city for the future projects. A new workshop is prepared for the city, and we will prepare it with the latest tools available for that. Let's hope that it serves us well in the future.

Turn 19 - Game Turn 159 // 980 AD

Casimir builds a new wondrous building that has been called Alhambra, in tribute to their military. Their new found strength combined with their unhappiness towards us leaves me worried, we'll have him at our doors eventually, if this continues.

Melodios has shown me his whole plan for a new system to rule he called representation. From his simplified explanations, the name seems to fit. It sounds troublesome for the council, and I like it. Soon, I'll be able to retire.
Spoiler :

((Representation is in, so let the confusion begin. Melda, I hope your body is ready.

Bonus Reggie
Spoiler :
))

Khirra follows my original plan, and a new watermill is now being planned for the city.

Turn 20 - Game Turn 160 // 1000 AD

One more deal lost in the beginning of the year, our cotton has now been forbidden. We'll just have to find someone desperate enough to ignore their resentment and start trading for the good of the people.

Send workers to Dostana to build some farms there, as they can always use more food.

As my last kingly action, I build the new city and name it Apollonia ((we can change it to Alexandria Apollonia after with the mod)). I realize I should've sent workers beforehand (I just had to forget) and cancel two farms near Si Satchanalai and send them there now. The new city seems to be appropriate to crown me a true builder. No matter how un-kingly my blood is, this town will stand as a testament of what a simple merchant can do.

=======================
The meeting
=======================

Here's the state of our kingdom:

Delphi
Spoiler :

Khirra
Spoiler :

Dostana
Spoiler :

Apollonia
Spoiler :

Members of the council, I come to you to resign my position as king. I know many would prefer me not to, but I'm too old to go on. One more year and I'll be dead, if this goes on. I require rest, and simpler decisions, and I hope to at least live a bit of my last years of life. I will be leaving soon, with my family, to Siamese lands, to analyze their lifestyle, and to determine if they are close to be integrable in the kingdom. Whether we like it or not, we can't leave them forgotten forever.

However, the past has taught me that concentrating so much power in one man has it's big flaws. I believe we all remember how terrible the end of Alexander's rule was. We need to find an alternative to this. I've tasked Melodios and Phrenios with find some solutions to this whole issue, They will present their findings as soon as they are ready.

Attachments

• Civ Demo Game 160.Civ5Save
    832.6 KB · Views: 113
Heh, might create a record of my postings, just for kicks. I can eventually create a timeline for all of us, if it matters to any of you.

EDIT: I've updated the titles of my posts to get a scroll symbol and the turnset played. Melda, if you think this is useful, I could give it to you and add it to your post, or maybe to mine right after your game post.

King Bazil's Turns

King Bazil, the first comming
Turn 100-105
Turn 105-110
Turn 110-115
Turn 115-120

King Bazil, the second comming
Turn 140-145
Turn 145-150
Turn 150-155
Turn 155-160

((Nothing against as I said.

((Yeah, I'm just making sure everyone's okay before I jump straight into it. :satan:

I'll actually wait until you post your in-character write-up for the turns just played, and then I'll officially take over.))

> I wish I could buy that copper tile near the Shoshone, so we could reap the benefits and deny it to them :(

((Do we have a great general that could take it? It would definitely anger the Republic, but if it's something we wanted to do . . .))

> Almaty is awed by our tech research and we become friends, so incoming military units (should we stop them spawning for now?)

((I would think instead of stopping them we accept them and simply decommission any we don't use, so we can use it as a revenue stream.))

> Representation is in, so let the confusion begin.

((Oh, it's been a long time coming. Remember the thing I told you for your in-character write-up. ;)))

Melda, I hope your body is ready.

((My body is ready.))

Heh, might create a record of my postings, just for kicks. I can eventually create a timeline for all of us, if it matters to any of you.

EDIT: I've updated the titles of my posts to get a scroll symbol and the turnset played. Melda, if you think this is useful, I could give it to you and add it to your post, or maybe to mine right after your game post.

((I'm not sure if I've correctly understood you or not, but if you look at the scenario background link in my signature I've added some details to the history table for your entries --- let me know if this is what you meant or not.))

Answers OOC:

((Do we have a great general that could take it? It would definitely anger the Republic, but if it's something we wanted to do . . .))

Don't think so, otherwise, I would've considered it. Angering them is not something I am against, I'd say diplomatic victory is not possible since we have so many against our warmongering.

((I would think instead of stopping them we accept them and simply decommission any we don't use, so we can use it as a revenue stream.))

Hmmm, hadn't considered it, we can even gift them to city states for favor if needed. It's not much, but it'd mean 5 free points with them.

((My body is ready.))

Reggie is proud of you, and so am I :goodjob:

((I'm not sure if I've correctly understood you or not, but if you look at the scenario background link in my signature I've added some details to the history table for your entries --- let me know if this is what you meant or not.))

Perfect, that's what I thought about. For those that start reading and want to just follow what was done, it's an easy way. If you want, I can try to get the rest of the links for our most recent posts (a.k.a after the revival).

After Dostana finishes the lighthouse it will be growing pretty quick so stoneworks or a coliseum might be good considering we have only 1 happiness at the moment.

Maybe Apollonia should buy the workboat seeing as it will take 30 or more turns to build it.

After Delphi's workshop, maybe a coliseum then how about some muskets. Nobody will trade resources with us but we can take gems from the Shoshone easy enough.

Kirrha really needs to review those worked tiles. Then after the Mill maybe build muskets.

We should talk about annexing too now that we have Representation. Muang Saluang will finish a circus in 3 turns and can build a courthouse in about 12 I think.

After Gunpowder how about Drama so we can build a writer's guild in Delphi?

Happiness is once again a problem, what are our options?
1) Trade, but not from anybody on this continent and ocean exploration is still a long way off.
2) Buildings, but that mostly just lets us keep up with pop growth.
3) New resources, lets expand and improve Apollonia ASAP.

Top Bottom