Realpolitik of the Smoky Skies - The Reboot

I think that many of you are missing an important factor in the Railway Question. How accurately can we predict this the deficit will last assuming the current level of construction can be maintained? It would do much to assuage the peoples fears if they had a rough idea of when the deficit can end. I think the railroad has large support base, just look at the old newspapers! The expense and difficulty of travel is mentioned in almost every single one.

I would defer to my learned colleague, the former Minister of Economy, the Honourable Ernest Barnard, but my expectation is that once the initial leg of trackwork from Pulias City to Haven of Peace is completed, perhaps in less than five years --- the civil service is in caretaker mode presently so I should be able to consult with them to confirm that timeframe soon --- we should see an immediate improvement in our financial fortunes which I expect will eliminate the deficit.

However we will need to raise revenues in the meantime because the Coventry to Pulias City line will take a lot longer to complete, and until that point the costs will continue to increase while the trackwork is laid down. I have every confidence that once that line is connected up we will see more money coming into government coffers from the railway network than it costs to maintain, but there will be some short-term pain during the next term of government.

But if we raise revenues to make up the temporary shortfall during that time period, such as trading luxuries for gold we should be able to avoid deficits in the intervening period.

I would remind everyone that I am a culturist --- a historian by training --- not an economist. So I would be very happy for someone more learned in these topics to correct me if I am wrong.

As I said on my public meeting on the Pulian Economy the deficit can be reduced and turned into a surplus of gold if we export Wine and Silver. There is no need to halt construction on the national railroad project and if I am elected, I will work for new trade agreements to happen. That would not only solve any financial problems we may have but also build bridges between us and our fellow comrades in the rest of Europa.

((Doing this part out of character as a mea culpa.

The Haven of Peace to Pulias City leg is actually completed (as in, completed by the start of 1833, so I guess in story wise it hasn't been completed yet since we're in December 1832).

Something to consider, anyway. That's actually my misunderstanding because I thought there were still a handful of turns to go. So I think the suggestion of raising revenue is going to be the panacea at this point in time, and that the trade route moneys will need to wait until the cities grow somewhat because they return as much to the treasury as I thought they would.))

I have consulted with the secretary of the Construction Department and they confirmed the Haven of Peace to Pulias City track will be completed within a month, over the new year. However he cautioned me about overestimating the economic returns this would yield at that point.

So I am glad I disclaimed myself as not an economist, because clearly there were nuances there in the economic situation that I did not fully comprehend. That said, I believe Miss Gurra's proposals for trading Pulian luxury items for money is the most sensible approach to resolving the deficit.

I will write to the League of Peace and Pulian First to correct the record and apologise for providing them with incorrect information.

The deficit is nothing to worry about for the citizens of Pulias. Yes, we are currently running at a deficit, but as Minister of Economy, I would never have let that happen if it would wound our nation. We have a rather healthy treasury which can easily handle these expenses. Our economy is not hurting; the deficit will be resolved well in advance of any depletions of our treasury.

((This is purely cosmetic, but I've gone through and added colour tags to the party identifiers in the electoral and senatorial summaries linked to in my signature. Enjoy!))

((Thanks. :D

I'd wanted to prettify it like that for a while but hadn't worked out how. ASCII to the rescue!

I came up with the solution when I was presenting the first election results in my other scenario.

I'm pretty pleased with how it came out, graphically. :)))

Is there a timeframe for when the current campaign ends and voting begins? Just curious about how much more time we have.

I too wonder this. Apart from any debating or spontaneous events that crop up, I have only one more speech that I need to give and then I'm effectively done as far as campaigning for my re-election bid is concerned.

Is there a timeframe for when the current campaign ends and voting begins? Just curious about how much more time we have.

Keep campaigning. My computer's been acting up lately and, though I have the important stuff to do with this game backed up, I want to try to get the problems resolved before we continue too much farther.

OOC: you have no clue on how much better is to have the save and actually look at the map and options. It gives me a better grasp on our situation, and it helps to build my ideas for the campaign.

IC: The move to Coventry
The advantage of being a scientifical man was to have a brain trained for observation and decision based on it. Before the travel, Albert had to decide on how to move, what to take, what to do once in Coventry. The road was perilous, Albert was old, and almost half of the way had to be done on old trails. He had little in terms of material goods, so one thing was sure: he'd take little with him when he moved.

A friend was contacted in Coventry, to arrange for accommodations. All the goods he had were either sold, or given to charity. And then, his plan was set: he'd take a small ox cart with some food, and a body guard was hired to travel along. He'd be wearing very old clothing, and a small rag tagged cape to hide some valuables under. If there was an assault, the goal would be for robbers to focus on the cart in case something was to be given up.

The way was peaceful though. With cars already roaming around, no one seemed to noticed two ragged men on an ox cart. It took a few days, but it was worth it in the end. Bazil preferred to do things slower these last few months, he wasn't as young as before.

When he arrived in Coventry he saw a land full of hard work potential, but the land was still underdeveloped. It required more attention, and a work force to harness its potential.

But first things' first, a bath and a good night sleep followed. And that night felt like life was breath in him again.

((Note: if you want to listen to the composition referred to in this article by the cultural reporter, the link to do so is here. Enjoy!))

Today's edition of the Haven Herald contained the following article:

Harmonic Hopelessness
by Isaiah Meriwether

Spoiler :
If you were hoping for a cheerier offering from young composer Charles Melda than the ending of his last work, the dramatically-titled Unrequited: a suite of ill-fated love, then you're fresh out of luck because it sounds as though Mr. Melda is back, drawing inspiration like water from that same well of sadness.

Without Hope is everything its title indicates it would be: the piece is imbued with an overwhelming lack of hope, like all hope has been lost, never to return. The piece, scored for the unusual combination of clarinet, trombone and piano is repetitive and insistent, intent to drive home just how hopeless the current circumstances are. A plaintive clarinet weaves mournfully throughout, but the piano is definitely the workhorse driving the piece onward to its depressing conclusion.

Admittedly, there is a gentler moment about halfway through where it sounds as though hope could possibly be indulged, but such a notion is shut down with a rumbling return to the forbidding atmosphere and slowly but unyielding piano accompaniment.

I was unable to schedule the composer for an interview about the work, but he was kind enough to reply to some of my questions by correspondence. I asked him quite simply whatever is there to be without hope about? Pulias is a shining beacon of hope and civilisation throughout Europa, and there appear to be no inklings of wars on the horizon — as, in fact, there haven't been any since the Dawn. Was it that he doubted his father, the Honourable William Melda, would be successful in his re-election bid?

Charles replied that the future for Pulias and Europa and a whole does indeed seem bright what with the technological and social developments, the soon to be completed railway line from here to the capital and a stable political system the envy of Europa and the world. He said he had every confidence in his father's ability to re-secure his seat in the Senate and that it had nothing to do with Pulian politics. Instead he said the piece could be considered to be a reflection of the fear some hold for the rapidly-advancing future, of the seismic changes in society that are onward and continuing.

But what he hinted at, and what I think is the crux of the matter, was a feeling of isolation and loneliness. I would have pressed him on this very matter had I the luxury of an interview. As it is, we must instead simply imagine and wonder what would make the twenty-five-year-old composer at the start of his career feel isolated and lonely. I, myself, do not know for sure, but if any dear readers wish to try and deduce it then I would suggest dropping into your local music hall to hear Mr. Melda's latest offering: Without Hope.

Portrait of Charles Melda, composer (1830)

Today's edition of the Haven Herald contained the following article:

Spirited Sofia Speaks of Spin and Solutions: an interview with Miss Megame
by Harland Godwin

Spoiler :
Editor's note: The views expressed here by Miss Megame do not necessarily reflect the views of the Haven Herald nor any of its staff.

It was my first political interview for the 1832 general election, and I braved the journey from the capital to Haven of Peace, past the incomplete railway line all the way to the Haven University. I was going to interview a new player on the political scene, who had already made waves. I was there to interview the newly declared independent senatorial candidate for Haven of Peace: Sofia Megame.

Women don't generally enter politics in Pulias, despite the recent emergence of my interview subject and the Pulias People's Party's new president, Aurora Gurra. Was this yet another change in our society, another death of the old traditions, or would it be merely a passing fad? Only time would answer these questions.

Despite my decade of experience in interviewing the heaviest political figures in the nation, I felt nervous. I had never discussed politics with women before, and I was unsure how the interview would go. Also, I had heard tales that this young woman was surprisingly intimidating, having already engaged in a very public disagreement with the Honourable Ernest Barnard, former Minister of Economy and founder of the Pulian Advancement Union.

I met Sofia Megame in the Haven University, where she works part-time as a lecturer. At first I couldn't pick her out from the students that surrounded her; she seemed to almost be one of them, with no sense of propriety or formality. She was very casual and laidback, and seemed to be enjoying herself far too much to be in a workplace. Looking to my eyes to be in her twenties, she appeared to be friends with these students, not their authority figure.

However, her jovial nature largely evaporated once the subject of politics came up. Although I must confess, I had never interviewed someone so . . . irreverent before.

H. Godwin: Thank you for agreeing to meet with me on such short notice, Miss Megame. Is it Miss or Missus?

She gave me a decidedly amused look.

S. Megame: Do I look like the type of woman any kind of man would want to lay their hands on? It's 'Miss', and proud of it!

H.G.: Uh, thank you for clearing that up.

I was thrown off by the response. I tried to bring the interview back on course in order to ask my first real question.

H.G.: What skills or experience do you have that you think makes you qualified to stand in the upcoming election?

S.M.: Skills? Well, I'm good at whipping people's behinds, just ask my students!

She laughed abruptly, and I was again thrown off by how quickly she appeared to switch between moods.

S.M.: Seriously speaking though, I don't mean to brag, but, I think I can understand people more than most of the other politicians. I mean no offense to them though, they've ran this place well enough, I just want to join in the fun and help things out.

H.G.: I see. Why should the voters of Haven of Peace give you their vote?

S.M.: Why shouldn't they vote for me? Err, other than my general obscurity. Or the fact that I'm a woman. Or the fact that I came from an impoverished family. Or . . . well, you get what I mean. The odds are against me, but I'm not worried. I understand the common people — if they really don't want me taking this job, then that means I must really suck. If so, then I'll just have to prove to 'em so they'll elect me in the next election!

H.G.: Why are you running as an independent? Why have you not joined a political party and run under their banner?

S.M.: Simple, I don't know who to join! All of the parties have at least a bit of their ideology that matches with mine. And to be honest, I don't like the idea of being someone's lapdog. Still, I'm more than willing to join any of the parties if they can make their case.

H.G.: Independent candidates don't have a great track record in Pulian elections. In fact the only example I can think of took place in Coventry, and on that occasion most electors thought the candidate belonged to the Pulian Advancement Union! Why do you think you'll succeed where others have failed?

S.M.: I think I'm more honest than the rest of 'em. I hate lying and bending the truth. When I speak, I speak from the heart. Again, I ain't saying that the others are evil, lying, criminals. They did what they did to do what they think is right. And I admire the bravery they have to bend the truth in the name of what they think is the greater good.

This was a truly brazen accusation. I allowed it to hang in the air awkwardly without acknowledging it before I continued onward.

H.G.: Haven of Peace returns two Senators to the Pulian Senate. You're running up against the former Deputy Prime Minister, the Honourable William Melda and the two-term Prime Minister of Pulias, the Honourable Heerlo. What chance do you think you stand against these two established and experienced men?

S.M.: 0.1%!

She laughed again.

S.M.: Okay, okay. Still, I acknowledge that victory isn't going to be easy for me. Buuuuut I'm not going to go cry in the corner over this. So what if I lose? I'll just prove myself to the Havenians and go for it again, next time!

H.G.: Have you met either of the candidates you're running against?

S.M.: Nope! But I wish I have! I've heard nothing but good things about them, and I'd love to meet with the people who've once had the nation's fate in their hands.

H.G.: Would you like to meet them in a debate?

S.M.: Eh, maybe. I'd love to go for a try, but there's nothing really to debate about. We're all fighting for the people — we're just doing it in different ways.

H.G.: Given that you're running against the former Prime Minister in his own backyard, if you're both successful in your bids for election would he have your vote to continue on to for a third term as Prime Minister?

S.M.: While being the Prime Minister myself would be a great victory for me, I know not to bite off more than I can chew. I see no reason not to vote for him, but we'll see how it goes first.

H.G.: Last year the surgeon Charles Thackrah published The Effects of the Principal Arts, Trades, and Professions, and of Civic States and Habits of Living, on Health and Longevity, with a particular reference to the trades and manufactures of Haven of Peace, and suggestions for the removal of many of the agents which produce disease and shorten the duration of life, a study in occupational and public health, the like of which has never been seen before. The former government did nothing with this report. As a local of this city, what are your thoughts about Doctor Thackrah's study?

S.M.: First of all, that's a long, long name. Couldn't they use an acronym for it or something? TEPATPCSHLHL? Holy Moly, that's still way too long! Err, anyways. Now, I've only skimmed through it before, so I'm not going to pull something out of my behind about this, but from what I've seen it is a very comprehensive and interesting study, and could be very useful in the management of this city. I'll need to study it more if I want to give a better opinion, however.

H.G.: I see. You have recently suggested that workers should be permitted to collectivise and form trade "unions". Would you care to elaborate on that?

S.M.: Let's put it at this way. If you want to know more about, say, diamonds, would you ask a government official or, well, a jeweller? So by that logic, why let the government decide on everything about a trade that they might only know the basis of when it could be done by people who know what they're doing, and what can be done to maximise the profits of that trade, and to ensure that those workers are being treated with what they deserve.

H.G.: You seem concerned about the national deficit. Can you elaborate on your policy positions?

S.M.: I think we need to concentrate on fixing the deficit first before doing anything else with our money. If you strengthen the first floor of a tower, the rest of the building would be stabilised as well. If you strengthen the economy now, then it will only serve to make things better for us in the future.

H.G.: Speaking of which, you recently engaged in a very public disagreement with the former Minister of Economy, fellow economist the Honourable Ernest Barnard, a man with nearly thirty-three years of political experience. Would you care to discuss that?

S.M.: Woah! I didn't disagree with anything! All I was saying was that his plans were not as good as mine, so . . . err, that actually does sound like a disagreement. Don't get me wrong, I respect him and it's no doubt that he has more experience than me. But everyone makes mistake, eh? That applies to everyone, including me. If I'm wrong, feel free to rub it in my face, or throw me in jail, or whatever; it'll be what I deserve to run things so badly. If he's wrong, then it's just a hiccup in his performance. If we're both wrong, well . . .

To say I was confused by that response would be an understatement. But I tried to quickly move on.

H.G.: It sounds as though you are fairly ideologically aligned with the Pulian Advancement Union. Are you afraid by pursuing so similar a policy programme that you won't be able to differentiate yourself? Is that why you publicly disagreed with the Honourable Ernest Barnard over monetary policy?

S.M.: Eh? No, nothing like that. As said before, I see a bit of myself in just about all of the political parties. Joining a party of like-minded people would be great, but it just hasn't happened yet.

H.G.: Moving on to another topic. In recent months a number of organisations sympathetic to Luddites have formed in response to the Pulian military campaign that destroyed a Luddite encampment and sent refugees into civilised nations, including Pulias. What is your opinion of these organisations, and of Luddites in general?

S.M.: Okay, I'll be honest here — I'm mixed. On one hand, I firmly believe that every human, no, every living being, is a good person in their core, and all should be given a chance for forgiveness. But at the same time, a wave of refugees means less and less job opportunities for the people of Pulias. So until I hear more about this, I'm staying out of it.

H.G.: If you do surpass all expectations and take your seat in the Senate, what power do you expect to have? You will obviously need to forge alliances with the established parties in the Senate. What possibilities do you envision?

S.M.: Ideally, I just want everyone to stop being so stubborn and work together for the good of everyone. Of course, that's more easier said than done. Still, I wish to form and maintain good relationships with everyone I meet. Enemies are never a good thing.

H.G.: Do you think your sex will cost you votes on election day?

She frowned at the question, but looked serious.

S.M.: Idealistically, no. Realistically, very likely. I'm not saying any further so this won't devolve into a rant.

H.G.: Many voters would consider it untoward for a member of the fairer sex to be debasing herself in the political arena. How do you respond to this sentiment?

She groaned exasperatedly.

S.M.: I think they really need to, oh I don't know, research, and find that women rulers were neither better or worse than many male rulers. You'd think the Public School system would fix things, but then again, many adults haven't gone through it yet . . .

H.G.: Are you concerned your political activism will harm your chances of finding a husband?

She quietened down. Eventually she gave me a cold stare that sent shivers down my spine.

S.M.: Hmm? Oh yeah. Probably. Likely. Maybe. Hell, I don't really care. I'll be honest here — I have, and likely never will be, interested in men.

The interview largely ended on that unnerving note.

So what do I think of the newest political aspirant in town?

To be completely honest I have never interviewed anyone like her before. What will the voters of Haven of Peace make of her? Clearly we won't know until election day, but if she does prevail over the Honourable Heerlo or the Honourable William Melda that will truly be an unpredicted result that will send shockwaves throughout the political establishment in Pulias City.

What would a Senate with Miss Megame in it look like? I cannot possibly imagine.

((Did I just satirise the attitudes of my nation's media to women in politics? Yes, yes I did. :p

If only my example were more offensive than the real world examples. :deadhorse:))

OOC: Huh, I only just realized that Megame was running in Haven of Peace. Let's just assume that my response regarding the national deficit was from a regular interview with the press, which delighted in the opportunity to act as a medium of debate?

Computer is probably fixed, though I'm currently without a mouse. Let's say campaigning ends Friday the 10th and voting runs through the 12th.

((What happens to single issue groups like the armament league when they feel their issue is dealt with?))

Top Bottom