El Justo's Cookbook Thread

Best thread ever :b:Keep them coming, guys :D

Hummus :

2/3 cup Olive Oil
2/3 cup lemon juice
5 cloves garlic (to taste, really; I happen to be a garlic fiend)
~1 tsp oregano
3 cans garbanzo beans (chick peas).

Dump ingredients into food processor, blend until smooth. Eat with tortilla chips,
pita bread, etc.

Serutan said:
Hummus :

2/3 cup Olive Oil
2/3 cup lemon juice
5 cloves garlic (to taste, really; I happen to be a garlic fiend)
~1 tsp oregano
3 cans garbanzo beans (chick peas).

Dump ingredients into food processor, blend until smooth. Eat with tortilla chips,
pita bread, etc.
bravo! bravo!

nice recipe viper275!

this is a cool thread, isn't it?

i've been dormant lately for a variety of reasons. i shall post some more in the very near future.

I made this a couple of nights ago, it was very good (not my recipe, BTW.) Chicken Kiev . I did add a little garlic to the butter mixture, though.

Great thread, here is my attempt to resurect it.

These open-faced sandwiches are excelent and easy to make!
Ingredients:

Fresh mozzarella
Whole wheat bread
Mayonaise
Fresh Mushrooms
Salt
Black Pepper

Instructions:

1. Heat broiler to 550 deg. F
2. Tost sliced whole wheat bread
3. Spread toasted bread with mayonaise sauce (I prefer Miracle Whip, for its tangy zip...).
4. Wash and Slice fresh mushrooms about 3/16th inch thick. Place mushrooms on the toast in 2 even layers.
5. Salt and pepper to taste
6. Peel off globs of fresh mozzarella and cover 90% of the surface of the sandwiches.
7. Place open-faced sandwiches on a piece of tin foil and place in the broiler for maybe 3 to 4 minutes or until cheese is brown and bubbly.
8. Enjoy!

Striq, sounds good, but just for the record, Miracle Whip isnt mayonaise.

What a wonderful thread El J. Great idea. I hope to revisit this and share with you some secrets like:

~ Bourbon & Cinnamon Marmalade.
~ Salmon & Butternut Squash Curry.
~ Quick Tri-Colour Sesame Seed Oil Noodles.
~ A wealth of awesome cheese toast recipes.
~ Some classic Indian Yoghurt drinks (Lassi).
~ Wicked Ice cream floater recipes for the summer time.
~ Plenty of salad recipes.

and many more. That's just to get your mouth watering and to remind me later on.

For now though, two very quick ways to make your coffee taste exotic, aromatic and deeeelicious!

--------------------------------------------
Christmas Coffee

Equipment:
- 1 x Cafetiere or Espresso machine.
- 1 x Pestle & Mortar
- Cups & teaspoons
- duh!

Ingredients:
- 1 x Bag of Cinnamon Bark (the bits are about 5 - 10 cm long and 3 cm wide)
- 1 x Bag of Cloves (those are the pods which look like a monarch's sceptre)
- 1 x Bag of your favourite ground coffee (Rich, dark, strong Asian or South American coffees work well for this)
- Sugar - you must add this, even in a small quanitity because it 'releases' the coffee flavours. (See foot of post for sugar tips).
- Creamy Milk - gotta love it.

The Method:
So simple.

For a cafetiere which serves two large cups:
Fill it an inch deep with coffee. Take 3 largish pieces of cinnamon bark and sling them in. Then take a dozen Clove Pods and gently 'break them' in with the pestle and mortar (this releases their oils). Sling them in. Whack the hot water on in and serve up. You should add some sugar here (it 'releases' the coffee flavours like water releases whisky flavours) - the sweeter the better for these spices. If you like milk, do that too.

For an espresso machine for two:
Your normal amount of coffee. But take one big cinnamon bark and insert into the coffee powder. Crush half the amount of Clove Pods as above and do the funky chicken while it bubbles.

It's called Christman coffee because of the spices but I drink it all the year round.
Aromatic Arabic Coffee

Do all the same as above but replace the cinnamon and cloves with CARDAMON SEEDS and replace Asian or S. American coffee with MILD AFRICAN COFFEE (Ethiopian is good for this spice).

Important: Do not crush the clove pods and sling them in. The skin of the pods is too bitter to make this yummy. You need to peel open the pods to get the seeds inside. THIS is what you crush in the pestle and mortar. You can buy bags of just cardamon seeds.

Cardamon produces a very heady, dry and fruity aroma, which some hate but others find awesome with coffee.

Another trick for flavouring your coffee more easily:
You can buy all kinds of flavoured sugars, designed for making fancy cakes and pastries. Use them instead of normal sugar and it lifts the coffee to divine heights. I am currently working my way through a pot of "Burnt Orange and Cinnamon" brown sugar. Damn it is good!

Well, I don't know any 'real' recipes, so I'll just give the recipe to my favorite sandwich!

White bread
Muenster Cheese
Mayonaise
Turkey
Lettuce
Bacon

(butter both insides of the bread if you really like butter)

1 shake of Tony Chachere's inside the sandwich.

Impress family and friends with this good, simple and easy Cajun Classic - Poule' D'Antoine:

Cut chicken breast into strips about 1" x 2", dip in milk and bread crumbs and saute'.

Just as the chicken is cooked, throw in some fresh mushrooms, whole basil leaves, minced shallots and diced (fairly large) tomatos. Add some white wine, plenty of Tobasco to taste, mix well and continue to saute' for just a minute or two.

In the meantime, pile some white rice in the middle of a plate and surround it with the chicken.

Looks GREAT (very colorful with the reds and greens) and tastes even better. My specialty and it can be done, beginning to end, in 15 minutes.

Turkish Lamb Kebab, with light lentil rice, and Broadleaf Parsley Salad

This is a wonderfully refreshing dish, based upon good quality, fresh ingredients. It is a very light, summery dish and it is quite quick to prepare.

Ingredients:

The Kebab
- Cubes of the freshest juiciest lamb you can find. (about 6-8 cubes per person ~ note that they shrink as the yummy juices drip out during cooking)
- Red and Yellow Peppers
- Corguette

The Rice
- Basmati Rice
- Flat lentils, small light ones
- Sunflower Oil

The Salad
- Tomatoes, plenty
- Cucumber
- Some of the peppers from above
- Some of the red onion from below
- Block of Feta Cheese
- Black Olives (spend some on the good ones)
- BIG bunch of broadleaf parsley (must get this right as it characterises the whole meal. It looks like corriander, same size, same colour but quite a different smell. Make sure it is PARSLEY and that it is BROADLEAF parsley.)

For it all

- Red & White onions
- Plenty of Garlic
- Some lemons for their juice
- Garlic Salt & Pepper
- Dried oregano
- Plenty more cloves of garlic
- Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Good quality Balsamic Vinegar
- Salted Capers

The Method

- Kebabs first: Pour olive oil and place chopped garlic with your lamb cubes. Put the cube mix into a clean carrier bag and beat the hell out of them with a rolling pin to tenderise them and get the flavours in. Put all the cubes in a bowl and pour over somemore olive oil, squeeze a good few lemons worth of juice, chop big chunks of garlic, add a little salt and then rub it all thoroughly with your bare, clean hands. Leave it all to get yummy and deal with >

- The Rice: Pre soak a quarter cup of the small flat lentils for a few hours. You don't want too many lentils, they are just to lend the rice texture. Wash the appropriate amount of rice, a medium size cup full to the brim per 2 persons is good. You don't want too much rice here - it is meant to be a light, summery dish.

Pour some Sunflower Oil into a pot and heat it up slowly until it bubbles. Then add some chopped white onions and one clove of garlic (not too much ok). Simmer the onions down a bit then add the RAW RICE into the onion/oil/garlic juice WITHOUT water. Mix the raw rice around quickly so that it gets coated with the oil/juice. Then add boiling water to cover the rice. Then add the pre-soaked lentils and simmer it down VERY SLOWLY. While that is cooking away >

- Put the Kebabs on:
Get your skewers and alternate like this > corguette slice > big chunk of red onion > clove of garlic WITH SKIN on > cube of lamb > chunk of yellow pepper. Keep going like that and fill as many sticks up as you need to. Sprinkle them with some love and whack them under a grill or better still onto a flaming barbecue. Then start >

- The Salad:
Turkish salads are uniquely refreshing. This is down to the FRESHNESS of the ingredients and also how FINELY CHOPPED they are. So:

Chop cubes of tomato, yellow pepper, feta cheese & cucumber so they are about 1cm cubed. Chop the red onions very finely and put it all in a big bowl. [Check on the rice, give it a stir and turn the kebabs now.] Now throw in your black olives and feel free to dribble as much of their marinade onto the emerging salad mix as you can. Now get your big bunch of broadleaf parsley and chop it really fine also.

Then drizzle the whole thing with lemon juice and stir it while you deal with >

- The Salad Dressing: Pour a few tablespoons of Olive oil into a cup. [stir the rice & turn the kebabs] Add about 1/3 - 2/3s of that amount of Balsamic Vinegar, depending on taste. It's better to go heavy with the BV in this case. Add 'garlic salt' and pepper to taste. That's it! Put it on the salad now and mix it all up.

Your rice and kebabs should be cooked by now too :D.

Serving

Drain your rice of any excess water (if you cooked it slowly there shouldn't be too much). Get a small bowl and gently push the rice into it, filling it to the brim. Create a flat surface across the mouth of the bowl and turn it upside down onto the plate. You should have a nice DOME OF RICE. Stick a little leaf of the parsley ontop of that for colour.

Strip the skewers of the kebabs and serve these in a neat crescent around the dome of rice. Have a freshly sliced quarter of lemon beside it.

Place a portion of salad to connect the two ends of the 'kebab crescent' or in a separate bowl and serve it up in your kaftan and fez. [pimp]

------------------------------------------
I recommend drinking a Shiraz with this meal
------------------------------------------
If you do this right you will most probably get laid. :cooool:

homeyg said:
Ramb - that lamb kebob thing sounds good!
Oh it is mate. Don't over cook them, they should come off the grill / BBQ medium rare. I love Mediterranean food - it's so light, healthy, easy to prepare and tasty!

okay...the recent activity in this thread inspired me to post another recipe.

this time, it's a cocktail, not food. anyways, here it is:

Bajan Pride

description: a frothy frozen drink great for hot summer days...it's name is derived from the term 'Bajan' [pronounced like the color beige] which is an individual who hails from the island of Barbados. i discovered this tasty treat while on my honeymoon a few months ago :cool:

ingredients: bananas, Mt Gay Barbadian rum, dark rum (myers), malibu rum, banana liquore, and Bailey's Irish whiskey, crushed ice

equipment needed: a blender and a jigger (measures liquor)

- scoop ice into blender---the general rule of thumb is to scoop the crushed ice w/ the cup/glass that you're using for the drinks. so, if you're making 3 cocktails in 1 batch, you'll have to put in 3 scoops (of the glass/cup) of ice

- measure about 3/4 oz. to 1 oz. of each booze for each cocktail within the batch

- add a half of a banana for each cocktail in the batch

- blend away!

garnish w/ a maraschino cherry, pineapple wedge, banana wedge or whipped cream.

CAUTION: these are high octane cocktails and can be considered as a sort of 'Rum Runner' in that there's an awful lot of booze packed into each drink. iow, drink responsibly!

~~~FYI~~~
if you notice that the batch in the blender is a little on the chunky side or that it's too thick, add in a little more booze or pineapple juice or OJ but only a dash. the best way to determine that the cocktail is spun right in the blender is to spot the vortex that forms in the center of spinning blender. no vortex means that it's too thick/chunky.

Top Bottom