Journey to Nowhere - Sign-Up and Discussion Thread

Splime

Regular Lurker
Journey to Nowhere - Sign-Up and Discussion Thread

Hi, I'm the guy responsible for Rise from Medieval Kingdoms I, and a few other games eaten by time, as well as a GM for the Model Parliament and its failed resurrection attempt. Well, I've lost it, and decided to begin a semi-crazy forum game/NES-lite/completely new thing. The basic premise of it is that every player controls a character in a small group of people. Unlike some forum games, however, the game should be far more co-op than competitive, though player actions will determine the course of the game. The exact course of the game will change as the game goes along - from survival in the beginning, to whatever political issues arise later on. Rules may change as the game progresses.

This thread is a sort of sign-up thread, where you should say that you are interested. To begin, I don't want more than 12 people, though this may expand as time goes along. Details for signing up can be found at the bottom of these posts.

Also, feel free to post suggestions.

Story:

The story begins in the Vlatixan Empire, a large country ruled by an oppressive emperor. While there is modern technology, which makes the standard of living very good, life is hell if you openly disagree with the emperor. In the town of Areville in the northern regions of this empire, a fairly large revolt took place after several incidents between guards and civilians, including the slaughter of hundreds of innocent people because one royal guardsman was shot. Many of the townspeople took their weapons and fought the guards from rooftops and alleyways.

However, this revolt ended abruptly one spring morning. The night before, the rebels were celebrating their victory over the last of the town garrison. Of course, such a party involves many hungover people the morning after, and this was just when the Vlatixan Empire struck. At 6:00 in the morning, a barrage of missiles hit several key rebel strongholds, killing many, and destroying most of the town infrastructure. Before the royal infantry could arrive, a group of 12 rebel fighters escaped into the woods. As they left Areville behind, gunfire could be heard in the distance, and they all knew there was no turning back.

These people began their journey yesterday, and it is now the 21st of the 5th Month, in what these people have called Year 0. In the middle of nowhere, these people will have to find a way to survive the elements, and whatever else gets sent their way. Their first task, however, is to find a suitable place to settle down.

Rules:

The game is divided into turns, during which every player should send in their actions via PM by the given deadline. Orders should be sent via PM, and they detail your actions. You can do anything you want to, but keep in mind that you are limited by your equipment and your natural abilities. The main thread is designed for players to openly decide their group strategy for tackling obstacles. If no orders are sent via PM, then the player will act the way that their thread posts suggest.

Each turn will last at least 48 hours, probably 72 hours once we get going. In the game's context, a regular turn could last anywhere from 12 in-game hours (NotW style) to a few days. There may also be extended turns that cover several days, and smaller turns that last a few hours. You will always be warned beforehand that a special turn is coming up, however, you may not be warned about the length of a normal turn, since surprise events may occur that require a change of actions.

In case you're wondering about the game calendar: Each year is divided into 12 months, corresponding to January-December. If I think of any good names for these months, or if you guys want to create them, that's fine. Each month is divided into 30 days, which is why I'm avoiding using January-December as my month system. Each year counts from the year the guerrillas left their town for the woods.

Addendum on the Reserve List: The reserve list is designed for those who didn't make it to the original 12 in time, but still want to play. To sign-up for the reserve list, the only effort that is needed is a post saying you wish to sign up. When it comes closer to the time I am going to put you in the game, I will then assign you a role, and require a character proposal. Once that's completed, I will let you know ahead of time when you will join the game, and then let you know when that time has come. The usual causes for a reserve player entering the game are either to replace dead characters, or replace inactive players (in which case the player's character stays on as an NPC). I may also let in reserve characters because I feel like adding more players, though this is unlikely.

Also, if you are in the game already, you may sign up on the reserve list when you die, but not before.

Player Creation + Signing Up:

OK, here's the bit that this thread has been designed for. To sign up, simply post saying that you want to join. I'll take the first 12 people to sign up, but there will definitely be a reserve list, and new characters will find ways of joining later on. Once I have 12 sign-ups, I will send everyone in the game a PM which states their basic role in the game. For example, you could be assigned the role of a cook. Then, you should create a full character idea (via PM) incorporating that aspect. It should include a basic story about the character as well. The only things that will be revealed to the public are things that the other characters would be able to see—looks, approximate age, gender, any items being used in public, etc.—and character name. Everything else is your own secret, which you can reveal if you wish.

An example of a character idea: Pedro is a 22 year old man that has made the culinary arts his passion. Unfortunately, his father had a run-in with the royal guards a few weeks ago, and the guards went to kill his family. Pedro escaped to the rebel safehouse, but the rest of his family wasn't so lucky, and they were all executed. After the Vlatixan forces invaded Areville, he found a group of armed men leaving the town, and joined them. Perfecting his culinary skills will be difficult for him in this wilderness, but it is a new challenge he is ready to take on.

Pedro's main weapon is his trusty SMG, which he made use of during his escape to the rebel safehouse. In addition to the standard issue of items, Pedro has an extra week's worth of food rations. He also has the ability to stretch out any rations by cooking them, and adding extra ingredients he finds in nature.

Once all character ideas are in (and fully balanced by me) we can begin.

Standard Player Equipment:
- 7 days of food rations
- A knife
- A pistol w/ a few extra clips of ammo
- A main weapon w/ a few extra clips of ammo (to be chosen by player)
- A tent and sleeping bag
- The clothes on your back

Sign-Ups:
1. CCRunner
2. BananaLee
3. Chandrasekhar
4. Methos
5. thomas.berubeg
6. rhawn
7. taillesskangaru
8. LightFang
9. Love
10. Icekommander
11. Diamondeye
12. Winston Hughes

Reserves:
13. Charles Li
14. oyzar

Yeah, AGP is where a lot of the ideas for this game come from. It'll be a bit different though, and I would explain how, but I think it'll be best for everyone to have as unspoiled a game as possible... :mischief:

I'd like to give this a shot.

OK, 3 more to go... I'll probably start assigning the roles soon, so everyone can get an early start on figuring out their character.

Well, it took a long time to write these, but the roles are being sent out via PM. (I spent the most time on making 2 examples per person, for 10 people...) While everyone will get specific instructions, these are the basics:

...It is now your turn to figure out the following, based on this role:

- A Special Ability
- A Main Weapon
- Extra Equipment
- Basic Character Info (name, age, sex, etc)
- Character Story

Please PM me with this info, along with anything else you think would be useful, once you have determined it. Your ideas will not be final — I have the final say whether something is permitted, and you can always modify your character up until they enter the game. As of now, there is no deadline for these character plans, because not every slot has been filled up. Good Luck!

I have also tried to include some possible examples, in case my instructions aren't clear enough.

Please refrain from asking questions specific to your character in this thread. However, if your question is about the process in general, then please post it here, so that everyone may benefit.

Some extra notes about character creation:
- Not only can your special ability rely on your special equipment, but it can be a great idea, and make your character more powerful. Just remember that losing this equipment may cripple your character if you do this.
- Just because something isn't your special ability doesn't mean you won't be able to perform the action. For example, you can still cook food, even if your ability or role has nothing to do with cooking. You just won't be as good at it.
- The examples I gave are only examples. You aren't at all limited to them, and feel free to just ignore them. Also, I've avoided giving main weapons in them, since that's something you should decide.
- Yes, I'm intentionally making you design characters without knowing what's ahead of you. That's partly due to realism (these guerrillas never knew they were going to be wandering into the wilderness) and partly because I feel like seeing how good you guys are at predicting the future.

A question to everyone about names: Are we doing normal names like John, Steve, Tom etc.? I don't really want an original/strange name when everyone else has a normal one but neither do I want a normal one when all the other names are unique. I'd prefer normal names since I'm not very creative. Unless we're all going with forum names... :dunno:

I hope asking this is okay. I don't really think it's specific to my character in any way that matters.

Month ideas:

Snowbound (January)
Chillwind (Febuary)
Meltmonth (March)
Planting (April)
Blooming (May)
Slowmonth (June)
Sunmount (July)
Summersend (August)
Harvest (September)
Leavesfall (October)
Frostmonth (November)
Familymonth (December)

Most of these are fairly unimaginative. Some of them I like (Sunmount, Meltmonth) Others, not so much (Familymonth, Slowmonth). Anyway, PM will be in in the next half an hours.

Edit: Assuming we were to go by this calender, it would currently be the 5th of Blooming

I say we replace January with "Firstmonth" and December with "Lastmonth."

The rest are pretty good though. :p

Hmm, Slowmonth..."Middlemonth." :D

Top Bottom