Journey to Nowhere - Sign-Up and Discussion Thread

OK, that's fine. Thanks for letting us know.

Hmm, BananaLee, looking at your list:

What's a scavvie?

Also, I think Mr. Bentham's role is a Heavy Weapons Guy.

He hasn't confirmed it yet so I'm not too sure. I'd like to think he is - but he hasn't got the heavy weapons. At least, I don't know. Is there anything in that backpack rhawn?

Scavvie = scavenger. I'm a thief - how do you think my character ran guns to the rebels? ;)

I came up with an assortment of things that might be useful including duct tape, rope, paper, pencils, nothing too interesting. Being that nothing was too gamebreaking I got a big backpack instead of declined.

OK, Charles Li has been added to the reserves.

I probably wouldn't mind joining the game if there is another spot left eventually, so put me on the reserve list until you get need for me.

Reserve Sign-Ups are now closed, as I want to keep the population at its current level. oyzar was the last reserve sign-up accepted.

Reserves will probably open up later, when it makes sense to do so.

Reserve me up.

Sorry, but I've closed the reserve sign-ups, because I don't plan to add anyone for several turns from now, and don't want people signing up that far in advance. I'll be sure to announce when reserves can start again.

This is a bit of a bump, but I'm working on plans for the next game (it isn't JtN II, by the way), and wanted to see what you guys thought of it so far. It borrows a lot of its game elements from NotW, but I'm trying to incorporate some of the freedom involved in JtN. Oh, and it's in space.

Spoiler Initial Story (Intentionally Ambiguous as Usual) :
Doomed Galactic Journey (Sign-Up Thread)

It was the 13th of Sunmount, Year 3705*, and the VSS Empire was all set to launch into space. It was the test run of the Vlatixan Galactic Colonization Program (VGCP). The ship was designed to carry a very small group of people to the planet they named Nova Vlatixa, and test out the colonization methods before the much larger colonization ship set out with more people and resources. In effect, the Empire was a scouting party.

People from all walks of life were onboard. The largest group was the civilians, who would populate the new planet. There were also scientists who were onboard to study the planet, and report the results back. They were also in charge of the workings of the ship. In order to help run the ship, there were a few androids, human-like robots that could understand commands in English, but endure much harsher conditions. Finally, there were the imperial guards, put onboard ship to help defend any colony the ship might create.

On the 13th of Sunmount, the ship was ready to launch under the command of Colonel Splime. At mission control, Commander Largo of the VGCP and the other workers at their computer terminals ran the final tests. By 0900 hrs, the ship was ready for boarding, and all of the passengers and staff boarded. By 1200 hrs, everyone was set for the journey, and Colonel Splime began the onboard launch sequence.

“T minus 60”

Commander Largo began preparations on his end, including the final scan of the ship’s external integrity. The warp that the ship would have to undertake could easily damage the ship, and the slightest dent could jeopardize the whole mission.

“T minus 50”

The other workers were busy performing final checks as well, preparing to monitor the rocket engines.

“T minus 40”

In a nearby Vlatixan Secret Police facility, agents ran their final checks on the people inside the ship. There had been extensive background checks already, but the Vlatixan Secret Police always ran all possible checks.

“T minus 30”

It was at that moment that the attention of the Vlatixan Secret Service was turned, as a rebellion in Bakerstown meant that almost all government attention had to eliminate the threat to its own existence. The personnel checks on the Empire

“T minus 20”

Most of the control center workers had their attention turned too, as they had to ensure that no rebel activity was going on that would disrupt the launch.

“T minus 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, blast off!”

The VSS Empire began to ascend into the skies. Because of the attention paid to the recent outbreak of rebellion, the final checks initiated with 60 seconds to go weren’t finished, since they were deemed less important and run in the background. Moments later, the Empire engaged its warp drive, preparing to enter the warp state where it would spend several days to reach Nova Vlatixa.

Just then, a call came in from the Secret Police facility:

“Uh, Commander Largo, you need to look at these results.”

“Hold on a moment… oh hell.”

Commander Largo tried to contact the Empire, but it was too late. It was in full warp state, with danger aboard.

*It’s not the same as the years used in Journey to Nowhere. These years measure from when the Vlatixan Empire said it was formed. It wasn’t actually formed that long ago, but nobody that’s alive today was alive when it really formed. Year 3705 corresponds with Year 0 in JtN.

Spoiler Rules :
Rules:

As stated by the story, you are on the first ship from the Vlatixan Empire to colonize a distant planet. However, there’s something onboard that poses a grave danger to you all. (This game is a bit of a spinoff from Night of the Werewolves, but it’s also a bit different.) Every turn is either a day turn, or a night turn (they alternate). Day turns last 48 hours, while night turns last 24 hours. The rules for each turn follow below:

Day:
Every day turn lasts 48 hours. It’s during this time that everyone will vote on things, from who should get what item, to who should be the leader. (Yes, there may be execution votes too.) All sorts of decisions will have to be made, and this is when they will be made. This is also the time you can discuss these issues openly with everyone else, as the thread may not be used for daytime communication.

Night:
Every night turn lasts 24 hours. Some players have special abilities, and most of them are used during the night. If you are a player with such an ability, you must send a PM to me within those 24 hours, detailing how you will use it.

End Game:
Eventually, the game will come to an end when one player or group of players achieves their victory condition. This may be to kill everyone, or to remove all of the killers. It is completely possible for everyone to lose, however. I don’t want to spoil exactly what happens to the ship, though I will say that all sides will not only be competing against each other, but will also be competing against time.

Communication:
On whatever side you’re on, communication is the key to winning. There are, however, some restrictions on communication. First of all, dead people can’t talk. If you are dead, please do not post in the thread or discuss the game at all with anyone who is still alive. (This restriction ends when the game is over.) Also, do not forward PMs to a third party. You can go ahead and quote them (using “ ”), but don’t use the forum’s built-in forwarding and quoting capability, unless you are replying to the person that originally wrote the message. It just cheapens the experience. Also, do remember that quotes can be false, and never trust them 100%. (The NOTW Information Thread explains this better in the “Spirit of the Game” Section.)

Roleplaying:
Technically, this is part of communication, but it’s important enough to get its own section. Whenever you post in the game thread, you are expected to communicate in the way that your character would talk. You shouldn’t talk about the game itself, but talk about it as if it was real. However, don’t let your character dictate how you play – a huge chunk of this game is about manipulation and lying. In fact, other players will only know the basic idea of your character (such as whether you are a civilian or a scientist), so you can lie about who you are (and may need to). While roleplaying, you may sometimes need to comment or ask about something in a way that doesn’t fit your character. In these instances, make sure to clearly label your comment as “OOC”, or “Out of Character”.

Other Stuff:
The game isn’t that simple, however. There’ll be all sorts of crazy things going on, but they should hopefully be self-explanatory once they come up. Whenever you’re confused about something, feel free to ask me.

Spoiler Signing Up :
Signing Up:

So, you’ve read the story and the rules, and you’re interested in joining? Excellent! To sign up, you need to post here, and your post should include a ranked list of which of the following groups you would prefer to be a part of:
- Scientist
- Civilian
- Imperial Guard
- Android
Each group has their own perks. If you have no preference, you can just say that you don’t care. In general, if you’re looking for a customizable character, civilians are the way to go (though there won’t be as much customizability as in Journey to Nowhere). Also, while I will do my best to give you one of your top choices, there are no guarantees. Within each group, your role will be assigned by me.

A little bit after sign-ups are finished, I’ll send out some initial character PMs, to give everyone the vague idea of their character. Some players will be requested to customize their characters, while others will have their character mostly decided by then. Once that is sorted out, the game can begin.

Sign-Ups:
Etc.

I'm not asking for sign-ups yet, but I want to get some feedback.

Just an addition to the rules of Doomed Galactic Journey:

Spoiler Rules Addition :
There is one element that I want to discuss further though. The ship you are on has many utilities onboard, such as the oxygen generator, the main engines, etc. These may have different levels of damage, and may affect how much time you have left, and other miscellaneous things. These stats will be posted every update, and may be the basis for your decisions.

So, the status of the ship is part of the game as well, and may actively influence the course of the game.

Top Bottom