El Justo's Cookbook Thread

I'm glad I found this thread, ElJusto. Been wanting to share this recipe for a while :)

Dry Chicken Curry A La Ultima
1 Onion
1 teaspoon garlic
1 tablespoon oil
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon magarine
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon chilli
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon vinegar
2 teaspoon tomato paste
1/2 cup rice
350 g chicken breast
1 cup water

Method
1. Place rice + water in a microwave safe dish. Cook on High 10 mins.
2. Cut chicken up roughly.
3. Melt Margarine in frypan. Peel & slice onion. Fry garlic & onion till tender.
4. Add oil, cumin, salt, tumeric, ginger, chilli, black pepper, vinegar & tomato paste to frypan. Fry 2 mins.
5. Add chopped chicken. Simmer til cooked.
6. Serve curry on a plate with rice, maybe garnish with a lemon wedge and a little bit of coconut cream.

For those who like spicy, try doubling the amount of spices in the curry. Personally, I like to triple it :p .

Ultima Dragoon said:
I'm glad I found this thread, ElJusto. Been wanting to share this recipe for a while :)

Dry Chicken Curry A La Ultima
1 Onion
1 teaspoon garlic
1 tablespoon oil
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon magarine
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon chilli
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon vinegar
2 teaspoon tomato paste
1/2 cup rice
350 g chicken breast
1 cup water

Method
1. Place rice + water in a microwave safe dish. Cook on High 10 mins.
2. Cut chicken up roughly.
3. Melt Margarine in frypan. Peel & slice onion. Fry garlic & onion till tender.
4. Add oil, cumin, salt, tumeric, ginger, chilli, black pepper, vinegar & tomato paste to frypan. Fry 2 mins.
5. Add chopped chicken. Simmer til cooked.
6. Serve curry on a plate with rice, maybe garnish with a lemon wedge and a little bit of coconut cream.

For those who like spicy, try doubling the amount of spices in the curry. Personally, I like to triple it :p .
delicious!

thanks Ultima Dragoon!

At university I shared places with many different people. One guy, who I bounced a lot of cooking ideas around with was Alessandro, from Milan. I taught him how to smoke an Indian 'chillum', along with a whole load of Indian and Caribbean recipies. In return he turned me into a coffee head and taught me many classic Italian recipies. For example

'Penne Al Salmone'
Here is Rambuchan's variation on it, created over the weekend. It creates a slightly Anglicised and Francofied (nice word that!) version of the Italian favourite.

Ingredients:
Serves 3 people

4 x Fresh Salmon Steaks
1 x White Onion
3 x Big cloves of garlic
6 x Big Mushrooms
12 x Salted Capers
1 x Medium Tub of Single Cream
1 x Bag of Penne Pasta

Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper
White Wine

NOTE: You will use one of the salmon steaks to prepare the luscious sauce.

The Method:

This is also so simple it is ridiculous. Total 30mins cooking time. As usual directions provided to cook everything simultaneously.

Step 1 ~ Heat a medium sized pan with about 0.5cm deep of olive oil.

Step 2 ~ As that heats: Chop up the garlic cloves, mushrooms and half the onion finely. Test the heat of the oil with a little bit of garlic, if it sizzles and bubbles slightly, then you are good to go! Sling all the garlic and onion in along with a pinch of salt.

Step 3 ~ Meanwhile: Take one of the salmon steaks and cut it in half. DO NOT peel off the skin, ever. By now your garlic and onions will have reduced and created a yummy olive oil base (keep stirring). Now pour in 3/4 of the cream and stir it lovingly. Once this has all mixed, then put the half salmon steak into that, along with maybe 3 or 4 salted capers. Stir it again ad then reduce the heat to low.

Step 4 ~ Now boil the kettle for the pasta. Simple good pasta cooking policy: a) Generous dash of olive oil, to prevent the pasta sticking and for flabour + b) Healthy dose of salt to the boiling water also + c) Always take it off al dente.

Anyway, this step runs through out the remaining steps. Keep stiring your cream sauce.

Step 5 ~ Heat up a grilling or frying pan HOT. Add olive oil and a light pinch of salt. When the oil is HOT, lay down the remaining salmon steaks and give a light sprinkle of rock salt. Now turn to the sauce while that cooks:

Add maybe 1/3 of a cup of white wine to the cream sauce and keep stirring it.

Step 6 ~ The remainder of your chores is to just monitor everything as it reaches cooking completion.

- Salmon: Go back to the steaks and check they are not sticking to the pan or burning. As soon as you see the cooked salmon meat stretching up to the middle of the steak – turn them. Ideally you want a nice little pink section in the middle that will cook through slowly with the heat in the steak.

- Penne: Al Dente remember!

- Sauce: This should be ready ahead of everything else. Keep tasting and perfecting this with capers, cream, salt and pepper.

Step 7 ~ When everything is done, serve up as follows:

Penne on the plate. Lay the salmon steak on the Penne. Pour your sauce over the steak and to cover the penne. (It’s good to cook a green vegetable dish along side this – Broccoli, Courgettes or Beans are good option – so serve those alongside).

Drink white wine with this meal and enjoy!

Roast Leg of Lamb with Rosemary, Garlic, Lemon, Anchovy, Capers, Bacon and Sage

1 leg of lamb - 5lb minimum
1/2 lemon
2 handfuls of rosemary
4 cloves of garlic
4 oz smoky bacon, thinly sliced
coarse sea salt
black pepper
olive oil
balsamic vinegar
5 tablespoons of honey
1/2 handful of sage
12 salted anchovy fillets
1 oz capers

Score the flesh at random intervals, or in the approximate pattern of your favourite political symbol. Rub with lemon. Crush herbs with olive oil and garlic. Rub and place in gaps. Place anchovy and bacon similarly in gaps. Mix balsamic vinegar and honey, and lightly brush over the lamb. Season flesh with salt, pepper and rosemary, and add rosemary branches around leg. Place capers on leg.
Place in tray with a little dripping and roast until rare (70 odd minutes)

Serve with roast potatoes, pumpkin, carrots, onions, garlic and swedes; fresh minty peas; Shire pudding; a sharp mint jelly sauce; and gravy. Accompany with a strong and rough red or claret, brandy and pipe tobacco of your choice.

Boulets à la liégeoise

There are some different recipes for this typical walloon dish. Here's mine.

What you need ( 4 people )
1kg chopped meat ( beef and pork )
3 slices bread
milk
1 onion
2 eggs
parsley, nutmeg, salt, pepper, thyme
Liège sirup ( walloon speciality )
About 10cl beer ( I use Leffe Triple or Gauloise Ambrée )
Dry grapes ( we call it "raisins de Corynthe" in french )

making meat balls
Soak bread in the milk and mix it with the meat
Add eggs, nutmeg, salt and pepper
Make balls about 100g
Cook the balls in an oven

Making sauce
Cut onion to get circles
Get the cooking sauce of the balls
Place it in a stove with onion and thyme, wait a couple of minutes
Add 2 lepels Liège sirup and dilute it ( not easy ! )
Add beer and grapes

Serve
When the sauce is ready, warm up balls in the oven
Serve it with french fries and a salad

I love meatballs! :drool: Nice one MaisseArsouye!

I've got a nice egg drop soup recipe which I perfected over the weekend. Coming soon!

Thanks for the reminder El J.

Egg Drop Soup

Ingredients
Serves 4

~ Egg Noodles for four (nice big chunky thick ones)
~ Spinach Leaves (fresh not tinned)
~ Eggs x 4 (large)
~ Shiitake Mushrooms (or some other strongly flavoured fungi)

[Bacon if you want meat]

~ Ginger (fresh!)
~ Garlic
~ Chillis (hot ones!)
~ Fish Sauce
~ Sesame Seed Oil

The Method

Step 1: ~ Boil a kettle with water, heat some oil in a deep pan (you will cook the whole thing in this one) and chop the ginger, garlic and chillis. Garlic and ginger in big coin shapes. The chillis finely.

Step 2: Throw the ginger, garlic and chillis into the oil and stir profusely. Shortly after this, throw in the raw noodles and quickly pour the boiling water on top.

NOTE: Pour in far more water than you need to cook the noodles because this will form your soup.

Step 3: Now leave it to cook for a while and start chopping the mushrooms and arrang everything else that needs to go in.

Step 4: About 5 mins before the noodles will be cooked, throw in the mushrooms, chillis and add fish sauce for flavour. Stir.

Step 5: Now you get to crack the eggs in. Crack them straight in and stir it all around. The egg white will create streaks in the noodle soup and the yokes will either break or get hidden and cook whole. (It's good luck to get served a whole yoke)

Step 6: Finally, add the spinach leaves and also add the Sesame Oil. This oil must be added last as it is very delicate and will get lost if you add it any earlier.

Step 7: Serve up in big, deep, wide bowls.

So easy. So tasty. So enjoy! :)

El Justo! Nice to see you!

Mini chocolate cheesecakes

Bases
2 packs oreos
125g butter

Cheese
1 tub marscapone cheese, whipped

Chocolate
250g cooking chocolate
Vanilla essence/extract (the stong one, i forget which)

1 Crush oreos roughly. Mix melted butter through.
2 Put into greased baking tin, with criss-crossed baking paper underneath bases. Smooth bases against sides of tray so that they are even all around, and that they are thin.
3 Add a dollop of mascarpone to each cup.
4 Add melted chocolate with vanilla mised in over the top of the cup after cooling.
5 Let them set in the fridge overnight.

Enjoy! :D

This is a family recipe that has been passed down to me.

CHILI CASSEROLE

By

My Mom

Adapted from

My Grandma

About 1958

1lb lean ground beef
A 14.5 oz can of Chopped Tomatoes with onion&garlic
8oz large pasta shells
1tbs olive oil
2tsp butter
2-4tbs chili powder
2tbs flour
1-2tsp ground Cayenne
1 cup milk
1-11/2 cups shredded Sharp Cheddar
½ cup shredded cheddar jack

Cook pasta in boiling water

Brown meat in olive oil until completely brown

Stir chili powder and cayenne into meat continue to cook

When pasta is soft drain and put into a casserole dish

Put the cooked and seasoned meat on top of the pasta

In the pan used to cook the meat melt the butter

Add the flour and milk to make a white sauce

Add the can of tomatoes and heat to boiling stirring frequently

Pour the tomato and milk mixture over the meat and pasta in the casserole

Sprinkle the cheese over the top

Cover and Cook for 30 min at 400 degrees F

Uncover and cook another 15 min at 350 degrees F

Take out of the oven and let stand 5-10 min

Enjoy

This thread needs more gingerbread.

Olde Time Gingerbreade Cookies(e)

Ingredients
2-1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsps. Ground Ginger
1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Ground Cloves
1/2 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
1/2 tsp. Ground Allspice
275 g. butter, softened
3/4 cup light molasses
2/3 cup honey
1 cup milk (add more if required)
2 large eggs

Method: Preheat oven to temperature 350°F/190°C. Grease and flour an 7x11 inch rectangular baking dish. In medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt and spices. With an electric mixer, beat together the margarine, molasses, honey, milk and eggs. Gradually mix in the dry ingredients just until blended. Pour into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven until tester inserted in the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs sticking to it, approximately 35-45 minutes. Cool on rack 5-10 minutes.

My favorite recipe is not very creative, but it mixes two cultural styles of food. Canadian and Indian.

Kraft Dinner and cayenne pepper.

Ingriedients:
Kraft Dinner
Milk
Butter
Cayenne Pepper.

Directions:
Make Kraft Dinner normally, and then add some cayenne pepper.

Supreme Roast Chicken a la Darkshade

or Roast Chicken with Herbs, Stuffing, Bacon, Pigs in Blankets; Gravy, Bread Sauce, Redcurrant jelly, Pesto; Roast Potatoes and Turnips, Sauteed Peas and Carrots; and a Green Salad

Ingredients

1 6lb chicken, with giblets for gravy
2 whole lemons
Fresh sprigs of rosemary
Black Pepper
Salt
Paprika
6 Garlic cloves
8 rashers smoky bacon
4 rasher pancetta
6 small chorizo sausages, wrapped in bacon and secured
6 small chipolata sausages, wrapped in bacon and secured
Mixed herbs: Parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, basil, chervil, tarragon and marjoram

Preheat oven to 220 Celsius or equivalent
Wash chicken inside and out and rub cavity with salt. Carefully make cavity between breast and skin and place herb butter inside. Rub outside of chicken with garlic cloves, herb butter, black pepper, and some paprika. Cover breast with strips of smoky bacon and pancetta, serve these with the bird. Fry the four extra rashers until very crisp, and crumble over the potatoes.
Stuff chicken with two types of stuffing (see below) and a small lemon.
Put in roasting tray along with sausages. Bake extra portions of stuffing separately.
Roast until juices run clear when tested. Once bird is out of the oven, let it rest for 10-15 minute while gravy is made.

Serve with lemon rosemary roast potatoes, roast turnips, gravy, bread sauce, redcurrant jelly, lightly sauteed baby peas and carrots, sausages, bacon, both stuffings, pesto and a green salad of mixed spicy leaves.

Stuffing
1: Onion, garlic and bacon – fry, mince and mix with crumbs, herbs and egg
2: Pork, sage and onion – fry off ingredients until no longer pink, and mix with bread crumbs, herbs and egg.

Herb Butter
1 clove garlic
Fresh rosemary
Lemon juice and zest
Lime zest
Sea salt
Fresh butter

Combine these ingredients in a mortar and pestle and bash together. Sieve the mixture and you have a savoury herb salt. Mix a fair amount with fresh butter to taste.

Lemon Rosemary Potatoes

Parboil potatoes with a lemon in water. Cut into chunks, initially braise off in roasting tray, then add lemon zest and sprigs of rosemary. Roast for 45 minutes with the turnips.

Peas and Carrots
Lightly boil for two minutes, then sautee in butter or herb butter.

Gravy
Make stock by combining giblets with onion, bay leaf. Cover with chicken stock and bring to boil. Add carrot, peppercorns and rosemary salt.
When chicken is done, bring pan juices to a simmer, add flour, and add the stock when it is brown. Stir thoroughly and sieve.

Bread Sauce
Place a small chopped onion and a pinch of ground cloves in a saucepan. Add a pint of milk, a knob or two of butter and a torn bay leaf. Season generously with pepper. Boil, and then let simmer for 25 minutes. Take it off the stove and let in infuse for an hour or so.
Remove and discard the bay leaves, as you would a broken down servant. Tear a 1/2lb of day old white bread asunder, then stir into the milk with a spoon, preferably wood (See Directorate of Spoons for details of approved spoons). Then add a pinch of ground nutmeg and season. Put it back on the stove and let it simmer for 3 1/2 minutes or thereabout. Stir in four tablespoons of double cream and serve warm with a knob of butter.

Serves 3-4 people, or one Evil Dictator

Top Bottom