SGOTM 01 Maintenance Thread

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the C-IV SGOTM 01 Maintenance thread. The purpose of this thread is to give you somewhere to post about non-spoiler issues relating to the game. It is a way of communicating to the rest of the players outside your team, and with the staff about matters that affect your team or everyone. You can post about bugs, rule clarifications, problems with the roster etc. Please subscribe to it so that you are kept up to date with new information as the game proceeds.

This game will be played in Civ4, patched to v1.61.

This first SGOTM will not feature any advanced variant.. the winner simply will be the team that wins the game at the earliest game date with either domination or a diplomatic victory. All victory conditions are still enabled though, with exception of Space Race, so you have to avoid getting another type of victory (and of course prevent the AIs from winning).

Individual start files for all teams will be available on the SGOTM Progress and Results Page at midnight, server local time, at the start of May 12.

Here's the start position.

Map Parameters
Playable Civ - Hapshepsut of Egypt
World size - Standard
Difficulty - Monarch
Landform - Mystery
Game Speed - Epic

Permanent Alliances are turned on (can form permanent alliances after either communism or fascism is researched)
Space race is disabled.
Egypt is locked into war with Huayna Capac of the Incas.
Egypt is locked into peace with an unknown civilization.

The map is hand built, and therefore may not have a standard configuration.

Please visit the following links to ensure that you are adequately prepared:
Civ4 SGOTM reference thread

Notes:

A. ONLY Civilization4 v1.61 is supported for this SGOTM. All teams will compete for a single award - the Gold Laurels.

B. All teams must play the sponsored variant - victory will be awarded for the fastest victory by either domination or diplomacy.

C. All saved game files uploaded to the server are parsed through software that extracts and archives data about your save, including reload count for each turn set.

I apologize if this has been mentioned already somewhere..

Do we decide our own order in which we take turns, or is that pre-determined for us?

[edit]
Never mind, found the answer

The team captain will be responsible for maintaining the roster, and skipping people. He will also be responsible for the nomination of a scribe. He will act as a conduit between the team and the staff. For your team, he is the law.

Draft Team List said:
Team and player names are in alphabetical order
Draft Team List said:
The Teams may choose their own Captains once they are assembled

I wouldn't presume to tell you how to run your team. Team orders are determined entirely by its members and leadership. As long as you work within the rules of the competition, as defined in the C-IV SGOTM Reference Thread you can do whatever you need to do to make your team as efficient as possible.

[EDIT] You found a better quote :thumbsup:

Ok, quick question on turnset-length... are we locked into 20 turns each, or can we set something a little longer to start, and then move to 20 turnsets after the first round?

On Epic, there's just not much going on the first 50 turns or so...

Turn set lengths are whatever you want them to be. I know the general guidance for Civ3 SGs, but can't advise on how this varies for Civ4.

The Submission system will handle any save you throw at it, so don't worry if you don't end on a multiple of ten or whatever. I would only ask that you operate as a team, and give every (live and breathing) member a fair turn with the mouse.

I understand that we will be uploading our save through the submission page and then next in line will receive the file from the same page.

Are the other players (not up) allowed to download and view the save as well?

Kikinit said:

The other players are allowed to download the save and look at it, but cannot make any moves that would grant that player information that the team doesn't already know.

Kikinit said:
I understand that we will be uploading our save through the submission page and then next in line will receive the file from the same page.
Actually thre are two pages. A Submission form, and a Progress and Results page. The Submission form is where you upload your file. It then becomes the latest linked file for your team on the Progress and Results page. You can see the way this works if you go to the Civ3 SGOTM Submission Page and the Civ3 SGOTM Progress and Results Page. The latter page also gives some progress graphs indicating relative performance of the teams.

As Methos has said - look, but don't do anything that would expose new information that wasn't already available in the save, such as moving units, building cities, doing deals, fighting battles etc.

We need to see how this one plays out. We don't generally issue a time limit at the start because this is primarily a friendly competition adn we want players to enjoy it. We guess anywhere from one to three months, but previous experience with Civ3 might not apply here. We'll start tightening the screws when we see a few teams lagging behind, as we will want to start the next game in the series sometime before hell freezes over.

If you stick to an average of 48 hours per turn set and 10 turns per set it'll work out around 2 months, I guess.

ainwood said:
@Gyathaar - I've never played with locked peace or locked war before. Can you (or someone else who has) give a broad overview? Eg. do you need to maintain good relations with the peaceful civ in orer to trade, or are they more willing to?
Relations works like normal (except you can never get a negative modifer for declaring war on them ofcourse for the always peace one.. and you do get that modifier for the always war civ)

So our locked-in-peace civ is free to move in and out of wars with our locked-in-war civ, right? Those two aren't locked into any sort of relationship, are they?

Do Always War/Peace holds for all other civs we meet, or just for those 2?

Lexad said:
Do Always War/Peace holds for all other civs we meet, or just for those 2?
Just those 2.. your relations to other civs and relations between the AI civs are not locked

Hi Gyathaar,

Could you give us some information how war weariness is working when we are locked at war?

Thanks

Ronald

Ronald said:
Hi Gyathaar,

Could you give us some information how war weariness is working when we are locked at war?

Thanks

Ronald
Actually, I am not totally sure.. but I believe it works like no normal game and was at war entire game.

I guess we will know for sure after this game has finished :)

Ofcourse, if someone wants to dive into the SDK and try to find out then be my guest ;)

Top Bottom