The Sound of Drums - A British Hearts of Iron II AAR

The Sound of Drums - A British Hearts of Iron AAR
Part Fifteen

1st January -24 March 1939

The people of Europe gave a collective sigh of relief at the beginning of 1939. The threat of Italy had been curbed by the sudden onset of German aggression, which in turn had been solved by some very adept negotiations from the Prime Minister which, ultimately, had seen the promise of total peace in Europe. Japan remained entrenched in China, neither advancing nor retreating, and the predicted threat of a second invasion near Hong Kong had not come to pass. To the public eye, all this was seen as the glorious testimony to the Prime Minister and his Cabinet’s policies over the past three years. It was an oddity then that no government official seemed particularly eager to accept such a view.

The sad reason for this was that no Member of Parliament truly believed that peace was assured, and remained under the belief that Britain would find itself in a major European war in the next few years. Nowadays there were fewer debates as to what direction Britain was heading in - that was assured, and now the Cabinet found itself working towards one common purpose, that of becoming a true military power.

The first Matilda tank brigade was deployed to Princescamps Egyptian army, alongside the newly produced 1st Armoured Division, the first British division solely devoted to tank warfare. Two similar divisions were to be produced by the end of 1939, a remarkable change in British armoured tactics, given that until now the sole role of tanks was to simply support the infantry, rather than be a separate part of it. Germany’s own views on a powerful tank force had apparently made a mark on Britain’s own doctrines.

There’s never been a better time to join the RAF!

Similarly, the RAF were galvanised into action after hearing the boasts of Hermann Göring , commander of the German Luftwaffe, who was quite happy to boast his airforce as being the greatest in the world. Even in peacetime, the Royal Air Force with its grand history, was not prepared to let such claims lie. With the Cabinet frightened into action after the most recent New Year military figures, work began on expanding the RAF as quickly as possible. Nine Spitfire wings, three being produced simultaneously at any one time and all aiming to be completed and in operation by March 1940 began construction.

These expansions were always meant to threaten Germany and Italy, but only into submission, never provocation. Obviously missing this finer detail, Hitler decided to push his luck - already considered spent with the Munich Accords - by totally forgetting his pact with the British. The 15th March saw the end of Czechoslovakia as an independent nation, with the bulk of the Czech lands annexed into Germany, and Slovakia reduced to a mere puppet nation.

The more cynically-minded might have claimed they saw it coming, but they certainly never predicted that Hitler would then make an immediate demand for the Lithuanian city of Memel, formally part of Germany until the end of the Great War, which was accepted on the 24th March. Apparently feeling threatened by this show of power, Mussolini of Italy proceeded to make a similar demand to Albania on the following day, ordering the annexation of the entire country into Italian power. This demand was outright rejected, and once more a European nation was at war with another.

Britain prepares for war

Apparent to all, peace was no longer achievable in Europe. If the Italians took Albania, then Greece - a friendly nation to Britain - would be threatened. Germany was now clearly looking to regain her lost provinces, and the next natural territory would be the province of Cassubia, including it’s chief city of Danzig. Dealing with Hitler was no longer an option, and Britain would have to secure a defensive pact with Poland if it wished to send out the right message to Germany. If such an act was passed, it would undoubtedly lead to war within months, and not the predicted years that the military rebuilding programme demanded…

destroy the Fascists!

he says while sitting at his desk in ottawa

If it comes to war with Germany over Poland what will be our policy toward Italy? Will we wait for them to act or will we launch a preemptive strike to secure North Africa and the mediterranean immediately?

The Italian war machine is incapable of fighting a total war and would only work to spread the few divisions we have even thinner. Perhaps we can play Mussolini's fear of German expansion against Hitler.

If it comes to war with Germany over Poland what will be our policy toward Italy? Will we wait for them to act or will we launch a preemptive strike to secure North Africa and the mediterranean immediately?

I believe it would be better to wait for Italy to show their hand. If we are going to take the high ground and go to war with Germany for the sake of protecting Poland, then it would be foolish to suddenly invade Italy with no real pretext other than 'they're fascist like Germany.'

And at any rate, our plans for an Anglo-Italia war are based on us taking the initial offensive, regardless of who declares war first.

Admiral Germanicus and the 1st Fleet is ready for war. Just give us the word and we will move against the Italians and cut off their supply lines. :salute:

(Betcha couldn't guess what's coming next....)

DUN DUN DUN!

An Excerpt from A Speech by the Head of the Imperial Defence Council, Addressing the Houses of Parliament

Good day to you all, my fine gentlemen. May I begin by telling one and all what an unqualified honour it is to be speaking to this joint Assembly on behalf of His Majesty and our Empire. I will spare you the regalia of titles, of nobility, of the very history which has brought us to this point lest I belabour you all with a pontification I've grown notorious for.

I am speaking with you today with great honour, but also with great sadness, for today our destiny has been sealed by the hand of Providence and the hands of men whose minds we have, apparently, no more sway over. Today we are committed to take force of arms to an end we have hitherto only laboured to achieve through diplomatic channels. The news is grave, as I am quite sure you've all heard: Hitler has broken his solemn promise to us; he has swallowed the whole of Czechoslovakia...

...We shall not be proactive in breaking the peace which every man in being has worked so tirelessly to achieve. Hitler's word has been rendered utterly worthless, his promises as hollow as dirigibles and as easily discarded. Instead this Government has offered to protect the next nation which shall no doubt come under Hitler's rapacious assaults; Poland, one of the oldest and youngest nations on the face of the Earth, is now considering our proposal for common defence. It is absolutely vital that we stand together now in solidarity against tyrrany, that we contain this menace before it breaks its bonds and strikes at the very core and soul of Britannia.

If Hitler wishes to bring the wrath of the British Empire and the Republic of France upon Germany, it shall be his own doing. The coming war is not a question of if, but rather a question of when. I speak with the utmost solemnity and earnest aversion when I tell you this...

Some commentators noted that the speech was bereft of smugness. Mr. Monzarc made no mention of his previous warnings against the futility of treating with the Nazis, but only looked to the dire struggle that he had predicted but took no pleasure in preparing for.

Hey I just found out its possible to beat Germany with France in a defensive mind set. I just extended the maginot line make lvl 7 fortifications to all but Dunkirk, put 20 divisions on Northern provinces and only 6-12 on the true maginot line, moved most of my army to Ghent when Germany tries to go through the low countries and counterattack from Valencia and mons at the Germans to knock down their manpower. Its 1941 in September and Britain is finally sending tanks to Ghent and German manpower is at 8 while mine is at 300 with Germany only being up on me by 50 divisions. Whether or not its possible to do this as Britain in France is a whole other story.

I should probably mention that Hungary dropped out of the Axis for some reason and Romania refused Bulgaria's request, went to war, and somehow got annexed by them. Also Italy hasn't DOW but if they did they would get their ass kicked.

Part Sixteen​

Chapter Three: Doomsday
Diary Entry from Mr. Beaver, Head of the Ministry of Silly Walks,
Retrieved 9th January, 1949

War appears to be inevitable, or so our Prime Minister says. I’m inclined to believe him, despite my personal belief that he seems far too easily swayed by the more, shall we say militant members of his cabinet. He complains of Mr. Hitler being far too aggressive, yet is quite happy to push Britain’s industries into creating a powerful military machines. And then he goes and talks about the Italians being a threat? The ITALIANS? What have they ever done for us?

Just the other day I heard that the RAF, of all branches, was to receive additional funding in order to create some fancy-arsed bomber group. And that’s just after the news that they would receive nine new fighter wings! Planes have no leg-room! Pilot’s can’t even walk normally, let alone silly! How is my Ministry supposed to work with these flying contraptions?

So you would think then, I would be delighted to know that our land forces would be expanded. Now don’t get me wrong, our creation of several new infantry divisions has been delightful, and the redeployment of several Indian divisions has given my Ministry the chance to retrain our colonial cousins. But Mr. Sharuminar has decided not to continue training land troops, and instead focus on tanks and motorised transport. Apparently he doesn’t realise THEY’RE JUST AS BAD AS BLOODY PLANES FOR LEG ROOM.

Not as good as British silly walking, mind…

The German army has one thing right, they’re totally devoted to establishing an army devoted to silly walking. Not as good as British silly walking mind, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they managed to march a good distance across Europe with that sort of walking. And that’s the sad thing, here they are ready to conquer the world - with perfect walking technique - and we’re focusing on moving our troops with trucks. Vulgar, if you ask me, and far too easy to see the bias inherent in the system! The Ministry is being repressed!

And that’s a damn shame. No-one expects the Ministry of Silly Walks! We’ve had a long history, been established in many countries and always achieved great success, but I fear this may be the last decade for us. I trust it is not so, I trust it is not the end, nor even the beginning of the end. It is, possibly, the end of the beginning.

Always look on the bright side, I suppose. It is the Prime Minister’s birthday soon. Perhaps I shall get him a parrot…

If the Minister of Silly Walks is upset, I can attach pedels to my planes. They can dogfight and make silly walks at the same time!

how about this, If we were to release a nation we currently occupy I believe the Germans would do something similar simply to mimic British styles.

I recomend we release Scotland :mischief:

We can't, unless Kan modded it in.

Scotland is there (at least in Armageddon), but I don't think you can release cores.

That's why, Scotland is his national territory.

Part Seventeen

25th March - 1st September, 1939

The events that led to the outbreak of a second major European war were inevitable, to the extent that most people in the preceding months more often wondered ‘when’ such a war would begin, rather than ‘how’. The spark to trigger the war would always be Poland, and in particular over the German claims to Danzig.

Following the final dismemberment of Czechoslovakia, Britain and France moved quickly to protect Poland from the same fate. Eager for such guarantees, Poland quickly accepted the offer to become part of the Allied powers on the 30th March. Hitler was quick to protest such a move, accusing Britain of attempting to “surround Germany with aggressive powers.” He saw the move for what it really was, and began peaceful talks with Poland in order to achieve some sort of lasting agreement regarding Danzig.

Similar moves were made in the Mediterranean, where Italy’s annexation of Albania was seen as a definite precursor to Mussolini’s ambitions in the Balkans. Greece, as a friendly nation to Britain, was seen as a perfect method to indirectly warn Italy about being too aggressive. Though unwilling to enter a full alliance, Greece was quite happy to have its independence guaranteed by Britain as part of Prime Minister Sharuminar’s “Dourala Doctrine” - created to usher in an era of Anglo-Greco close cooperation.

Relations with the Soviet Union began in earnest again, after years of mutual dislike. For the British, it was a last-minute to have Stalin on their side when war began. Resources were sent to assist Russia, even when doing so would be detrimental to British industries. For Russia, it was a great aid to rebuilding the nation after years of unrest and near-revolution. What was unknown to the British however, was that Stalin would be far more tempted by a secret deal with the Germans, resulting in putting Poland in a far worse situation.

Final preparations for all branches of the British military to be ready continued. Armoured forces of various sizes were deployed in Britain and Egypt, while the airforce reorganised itself to better defend England. Supermarine began work on a new design of Spitfire even as their first type began to leave the factories. And under Minister Yuri’s guiding influence Britain’s military-based industries were revolutionised into a more efficient force, allowing equipment, vehicles and supplies to be produced at a quicker rate.

Europe on the eve of war

Britain’s race to remilitarise in the wake of Germany’s aggression still left her lagging behind, but there was little hope of being allowed more time to organise herself. The German-Polish negotiations over Danzig broke down in early August, forcing Hitler to either back down or take the region by force. Doing the latter would force a war with Britain and her allies, and undoubtedly anger Stalin, possibly leading to war with Russia. British High Command then, were stunned when reports began to arrive that Germany was mobilising their forces against Poland in the latter half of August.

In desperation, Minister Rheinmetall was sent to meet with Hitler in an attempt to make him see reason. The Foreign Minister never even got to meet with the German leader, and his request that reopening negotiations with Poland were hardly taken seriously. Germany fully intended to attack Poland to get Danzig.

By the time Rheinmetall returned to Britain on the 28th August, the Cabinet were already in a war mindset, clearly doubting that Hitler would see reason and call the mobilisation off. The Prime Minister authorised a message be sent to Berlin, reminding Germany of his obligation to protect Poland if it were attacked, and that both Britain and France would immediately go to war in such An event. Either Hitler didn’t take such a threat seriously, or believed that Sharuminar was attempting to bluff him. On the 30th August, citing Polish aggression and refusal to peacefully come to terms, Germany declared war…

And so it begins...
Could we get a military comparason between us and Germany?

Time to teach Jerry a thing or two about British Commonwealth mettle..

Whats the situation in France? There's no doubt that Germany cannot breach France's mighty Maginot Line, however there may be some mystical path north of the line that we may have overlooked.

And so it begins...
Could we get a military comparason between us and Germany?

I'll give a proper breakdown of the BEF, Navy and Airforce of Western Europe tomorrow.

Whats the situation in France? There's no doubt that Germany cannot breach France's mighty Maginot Line, however there may be some mystical path north of the line that we may have overlooked.

The BEF will be deployed along the Belgian border to counter a potential German attack there.

Top Bottom