FfH 2 Manual

PostGreSQL is a database engine corresponding to the data table and queries capabilities of Access. I generally would then use Crystal Reports XI to actually present the data in the format desired - it is quite similar but more powerful than Access for that purpose but does not have the internal database engine as Access does. That said, XPath/XSLT/XQuery allow us to work with raw XML in much the same way that SQL allows us to work with a relational database.

DocBook is an XML language that can be converted, indirectly, into a PDF file. It supports most features that you find in published books including the ability to create tables which is a lot of what your layout relies upon to be concise and pretty.

I am familiar with the need to identify how each of the various elements in the XML files are used by the game and have already started putting together a flexible framework (e.g., <iWarWearinessModifier>-25</iWarWearinessModifier> becomes "-25% war weariness" with the "war weariness" text language specific). It is fairly intuitive assuming there aren't any really obscure or hijacked elements. The tough, and fun, part is making it so the actual processing scripts have as little hard-coded as possible and instead loading the "how" of the processing from files. Not unlike how the Civ4 engine itself has been developed. It does require a good amount of classification as well and then decisions on how to organize and later display the items belonging to each classification (e.g., Pre-Reqs, GlobalModifiers, Improvement/Building/etc modifiers, etc).

Sounds like an interesting project. Simply reproducing the civilopedia "out of game" might be of some value. Now that I am a little oriented to the game and the manual, I find less value in the simple lists of things, and more value in the civ-specific and religion-specific parts. So, maybe one thing your database query could do is identify all the buildings, spells, units, etc which are unique to a civ, and dump those together into one table.

Getting the graphics in automatically is harder, but does not sound fundamentally impossible. Is there an automatic way you can find to take individual icons out of the pak file, into a separate dds file, and then into something more printable like gif or tiff? If unpak is the problem, you could manually unpak first. Then the file paths to the dds would be given by the xml.

Sounds like an interesting project. Simply reproducing the civilopedia "out of game" might be of some value. Now that I am a little oriented to the game and the manual, I find less value in the simple lists of things, and more value in the civ-specific and religion-specific parts. So, maybe one thing your database query could do is identify all the buildings, spells, units, etc which are unique to a civ, and dump those together into one table.

Getting the graphics in automatically is harder, but does not sound fundamentally impossible. Is there an automatic way you can find to take individual icons out of the pak file, into a separate dds file, and then into something more printable like gif or tiff? If unpak is the problem, you could manually unpak first. Then the file paths to the dds would be given by the xml.

Yes, the categorization/filtering by civ/religion/leader will be a natural byproduct of the system design. I could see having mini-manuals specific to each leader complete with not only reference materials but strategy and flavor as well.

The graphics are more burdensome than difficult. It appears many of the graphics are already in GIF format via the wiki (almost 1200 images, and/or whatever is already in the manual). The XML appears to have many of the filepaths (as you note), though some of them appear to reference a sub-image. Once the mechanics are in place the really tough part is getting all of them to use a proper naming scheme - ideally one based upon the ID for the item in the XML files; though using the XML path may indeed be feasible if for no other reason than to automate the renaming. I'd prefer to use the IDs since then the images could be hosted, using a civ4 identifier, on the internet and anyone using the same data can take the tags and query for the image - in this situation the filepath is not an ideal lookup key. Keep in mind I really haven't focused that much on this specific area.

I see where the .pak file is located (are there more than one?) but in my brief search couldn't figure out how to actually unpack it. Could someone point me in the right direction please?

Sure! There was a noticeable lack of response on this thread. Using the existing manual as a guideline, or the Grigori one I posted over there, please go to town. The key thing is to list what a beginner might overlook or be unable to figure out.

Alright, I'll see what I can do...

Bear in mind, I don't play with all of the civs equally (who does?) and I have a noticeable Goodly bent (Saint Orangelex the 44th). Also, I'm more of a builder than a rusher.

Whatever, someone will edit it someday. I'll try to hash one or two out over the next couple days.

When I started out to play FFH a couple of weeks ago, I sat down and read the civ section for each civ, and decided which ones would be fun to play. I was recommended to try Grigori. After a couple of games I was frustrated, because I was unable to figure out how to get some of the special units to work.

So what I'd like is information for a good player of "vanilla" BTS who is new to FFH, trying the civilization for the first time. What is the right way to start out for the civ, what are the important unique units or technologies to aim for, and so forth. For a few of the strategy sections, it is just a list of the cool units, rather than a recommendation about how to play the first hundred turns.

Some of this can be found in the strategy threads here. But for Balseraphs, for example, the first 2/3 of the thread talks about how wonderful it is to use Loki's mutation spell, but that is obsolete because Loki no longer gets mutation. If we could crystallize the wandering threads into a one page starter guide for the civ, that would be helpful for new players.

Well, Loki's Mutation is a perfect exaample of why the current version of all the strats in the guide are so much a list of units and nifty things about them. With things changing fairly often, favored strategies tend to change remarkably in short order. Thus my initial reluctance to discuss how a new player "should" play the game.

But, the game is much nearer to completion now, so it should be safe by-and-large to write up more pointed strategies across the board.

My personal requests would be that Elohim are the first one to get a re-write, as they currently fail to discuss Tolerant at all. Though that one can be fairly situational, so may be hard to write for. I would encourage that you do NOT discuss changing your palace however as this is something I do not thing will be possible for very long. I could be wrong on that though. But building a new palace hardly seems like something which will happen in the first 100 turns in my mind anyway.

After that... I think Bannor was the one I struggled most with. Then would come Hippus and Lanun, and round it off with Kuriotates. That is my list of "weak write-ups" that I can recall without actually reading through all of them again.

Lanun

The only civ I've played in Lanun, with many starts but no finishes (same problem in Bts - but anyway). I've been focusing most of my time on the manual stuff now but would be willing to write a couple of strategies that I found to work quite well in getting me about 1/3rd the way through the technology tree. I will start this over the weekend with a stand-alone posting to the strategy sub-forum unless I see one already there over the next day or so.

Well, here's my crack at the Elohim... I wasn't sure if you wanted to change the "flavor" paragraph, too. As it is, I assumed not and tried to make a natural transition. On MS Word, this is about 1.5 pages.

If you want longer/shorter, think I missed something really important, see a grammar mistake, or just don't like it at all, tell me and I'll try my best to fix the error. Anyway, here goes...

The Elohim

The Elohim possess a powerful mix of abilities that allow them to serve their ancient cause. First, they still remember the location of the world&#8217;s sacred and special places, meaning that they can plan their growing empire to avoid the Broken Sepulcher , expand toward Yggdrasil, etc. The Defender trait of both leaders allows them to keep their lands free of enemies, as does their World Spell, Sanctuary. Defender allows for a stronger, more resilient army within country borders, while Sanctuary expels all non-team units and prevents entrance for 30 turns.

As the Elohim become stronger, other abilities come into play. The Chancel of Guardians both increases city defense and can grant units the Defensive promotion, making the protective Elohim even more potent defensively. The other Elohim Unique Building, the Reliquary, grants the Spirit Guide promotion to units &#8211; making their armies even more resilient by conserving valuable XP.

When the time comes for the Elohim to leave their borders and fight the spawn of Hell and Evil, the Monk and Devout provide the Elohim with the force they need. The Monk is fast and versatile, with the rare Medic promotion, and the perfect unit to fight Evil midgame. The Devout are welcomed across Erebus and able to enter any country&#8217;s lands.

The Devout serve another purpose, in that they can Sanctify Hell terrain. Combined with the Elohim&#8217;s special Ritual, the Hallowing of the Elohim, the Elohim are the best equipped of any civilization to stem the Armageddon Counter.

The nature of the Elohim is tolerance and acceptance, and they reflect that with the Tolerant trait. Any foreign city that comes under their control retains the knowledge and ability to create most units and buildings from their homeland. This makes the Elohim a nation that is much more than the sum of its parts, being (theoretically) able to combine Orcish shock troopers with Hippus cavalry, Lanun pirates with Kuriotate centaurs.

The Elohim Hero Corlindale&#8217;s power lies not in strength, but in ability. He is a powerful Mage in his own right, with the Hero&#8217;s ability to Twincast and cast the most powerful spells on Erebus. His real talent, however, is that he can sacrifice himself to end all conflict with the Elohim, and perhaps more important, half the Armageddon Counter. Thus, Corlindale can be used as a powerful Mage, or a holy Martyr.

The Elohim are a holy nation, with many synergies with the religions of Erebus. Any religion works well with the Elohim, although the Ashen Veil and the Octopus Overlords religions offend their natural sensibilities. The Empyrean provides power without warfare, a cause close to Elohim sensibilities, but should the Elohim choose to become militant the Order can be of major benefit.

Strategies of Note

The Elohim are a very flexible nation, able to do many things well. Naturally attuned to peace, they can still war when need dictates. That being said, the most natural victories for the Elohim are the nonviolent ones &#8211; namely, the Altar of the Luonnotar and Cultural. Each Leader is tailored to one or the other; Einion Logos is Philosophical while his counterpart Ethne the White is Creative. Their unique building, the Reliquary, provides Great Prophets and Culture. Of these two strategies, perhaps the Altar is the best because it provides free XP to Disciple units, which includes Monks.

However, the Elohim are able to go conquering, and are especially powerful in the mid- to late-game. Mobile Monks can be potent attackers if backed up correctly, and once a few cities have fallen the Elohim simply get stronger due to Tolerant. Devout aren&#8217;t the most useful units on the offensive, but they are valuable in intelligence gathering. Lore-wise, this is not particularly accurate, but it is a possibility &#8211; just make sure to note the increased War Weariness.

For Magic, the Elohim start with Nature, Spirit, and Water Mana. Spirit is very useful to builder strategies, granting both Hope and Trust. Courage is also very useful spell in any circumstance. The other two are better for warlike intentions, giving some powerful aggressive spells with Channeling II or Channeling III. Water also grants Spring, perfect for desert starts. One mana type to aim for is Life; an Archmage with Life mana can cast Resurrect, allowing Corlindale to be reborn. This allows for the Hero to reuse his special ability, and restore peace/halve the AC once again. Using this tactic, however, is not without cost since Corlindale loses all promotions and must start again without any XP.

There is no religion that has particular benefit to the Elohim; they all have benefits and detriments. Those looking for a Cultural Victory should probably try for Octopus Overlords; however, this choice turns the Elohim Neutral so it should not be done without thought. Empyrean Radiant Guards can be very helpful with defense.

The flavor bits arenice, but not rigid. Mostly they were kept because I wanted to fill space. The ideal though is to have a paragraph which lets someone quickly decide if this is the Civ they want to try out.

I'd advise stating a bit more clearly what each ability does early on. And not waiting too long to do so. Like in the first go you mention the trait and worldspell, THEN say what each one does. This could be confusing for people who aren't native English speakers, or are younger, as they will have to link the 2 pieces back properly. Then later you mention Spirit Guide, and say it makes you more resilient, but not what it actually does.

I'd mention resurrection of Corlindale when talking about his Peace ability (with just Life III, from any old Archmage, or through Sphener). It isn't something which sounds so nice until you are able to get him back immediately, promote him through the mage lines all over again, and gain Peace and a reduced AC all over again. Main thing that is nice is you can promote Corlindale to cast Trust, then use him for Peace and never have to waste an entire promotion slot on a spell which cannot be cast again (just don't get Spirit 3 this next time around with Corlindale)

Might be worthwhile to mention that the Monks (and Devouts?) are Disciples, so gain extra XP from Empyrean Shrine and Altars of Luonnotar. Can be quite potent to have those working for you.

OK, I made some edits to the original.

Xienwolf, I redid the part about Resurrecting Corlindale. I also added boldtype to the stuff that'll likely be tagged, which makes it nicer to look at.

I know you mentioned rewording some other stuff. I still can, but I'm not sure if it's really necessary. Once the appropriate stuff is tagged, people with questions can click it and be sent to where the answers are within the manual. Again, if you really think I should, I will.

I did put in a bit more about Spirit Guide.

All right, here's the Lanun... not quite as happy with this one, but that might be because I don't play them very much and am not quite as familiar with them. I keep thinking I forgot some really awesome tactic, or something. Again, in MS Word this is about 1.5 pages. Editing/criticism is appreciated.

The Lanun

The Lanun are the undoubted masters of Erebus’ seas. They start with their unique technology, Seafaring, allowing these pirates a monopoly on Pearls, along with an extra movement point. Lanun Work Boats can create a Pirate Cove on Coast tiles, which acts as a very powerful water Cottage. Pirate Coves can’t be built within 2 tiles of each other, but are much more useful than simple Cottages. First, the basic Cove gives 2 Commerce, a defense bonus, and the ability for Naval units to change crews. The Cove then upgrades to a Pirate Harbor, then a Pirate Port, both at accelerated rates compared to Cottage upgrades. By the time a Cove becomes a Port, the tile has an extra 2 Food, 2 Hammers, 8 Commerce, 30% defense, a sight range bonus, a healing bonus, a surrounding combat bonus, and the ability for Naval units to change crews. Needless to say, the placement of Coves is vital to Lanun cities and requires careful planning.

Pirate Coves aren’t the Lanun’s only economic bonus. The Lanun also have the Sea Haven, a unique building that lowers maintenance costs, increases naval production, and also provides the same benefits as the Harbor it replaces. It also allows the production of the Boarding Party unit, a Champion replacement that has the ability to attack and capture foreign naval units, but loses the boost against Melee units. Finally, the Lanun Palace gives Sea tiles an extra Food, allowing Lanun cities to thrive even with limited land to work.

The Lanun dominance of the sea extends to their military. Along with the Boarding Party, the Lanun use Hidden Nationality Pirates to attack their enemies and friends at will. The Pirate also has a withdrawal chance and gains gold in combat. The Lanun also have the sea’s most powerful ship, The Black Wind. This is a Pirate on steroids, a Hero ship with extra strength and Hidden Nationality. The Black Wind isn’t the Lanun’s only Hero, though. Guybrush Threepwood assists his fellow pirates, and possess the same Boarding ability Boarding Parties do. When under duress, the Lanun World Spell Raging Seas can be used to wreck havoc on Erebus’ coasts, damaging units and destroying many improvements while leaving the Lanun unaffected.

The Lanun aren’t, however, limited to the sea. They possess a strong land-going unit in the War Tortoise, which is a good attacker, a better defender, with a bonus against Mounted units and Water Walking.

The Lanun are Neutral to the gods’ conflict on Erebus, preferring to prey on everyone equally. As such, they do not possess the same religious devotion as some other peoples in the world. However, a worshipping the Octopus Overlords can provide dividends, and those who follow the Runes of Kilmorph are rewarded with gold, which is something that the Lanun very much enjoy.

Strategies of Note

First of all, the Lanun are useless when not near the sea. Their capitol MUST have enough coastline for at least two Pirate Coves to be build in order for the Lanun to survive the trials of Erebus. That being said, the Lanun can easily become an economic powerhouse very quickly, especially under Hannah the Irin and her Financial trait. However, the Lanun can just as easily become a militant nation, since Hannah also has the Raiders trait and the other Lanun leader, Falamir, is Charismatic. His other trait, Expansive, gives him some flexibility as well. So does his +2 relations with female leaders. Using either tactic is risky, and balance is key for those who wish total conquest. For those who aren’t dedicated to war, a Cultural victory is very possible under the right circumstances.

One of the main difficulties of the Lanun is deciding how many cities should be along the sea. Coastal cities generally are weak producers, and while Pirate Coves/Harbors/Ports offset this a little the Lanun still have problems with limited Hammers. A few landlocked cities built to harness resources are fine, and even recommended for that production capacity, but the Sea Haven’s decreased maintenance means that it’s often easier for the Lanun to settle faraway islands before expanding too far inland. Building a city on a perfect location that’s rather far away is much better than a substandard location that’s closer when it comes to the Lanun.

Those who want combat have many options with the Lanun. Both leaders have warlike traits, but Falamir’s relations boost with the ladies means that he is perhaps a little better for this path (love 'em, use 'em, conquer 'em). The Boarding Party’s loss of the Melee combat bonus is unfortunate, but any coastal cities are easily taken with combined Naval and land forces. The War Tortoise is an odd unit; it comes rather late in the game to help with an early rush and is at the end of the Mounted tech tree. They cannot use metal Weapons, either. However, they are defensive powerhouses and very capable of offence, especially since they can be promoted to Withdraw.

Builders can thrive with the Lanun as well. Their economic bonuses dovetail nicely with a peaceful strategy, and if combined with the Octopus Overlords religion, a Cultural victory is easily attainable with Hannah. Octopus Overlords also allows Cultists, who can cast Tsunami to further increase Lanun water power.

The Lanun start with Water, Air, and Chaos mana. All three are helpful in combat, and Air’s Fair Winds spell further increases Lanun water movement. Maelstrom is invaluable to those who neglect Siege capabilities, as well.

Top Bottom