FfH 2 Manual

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I figured the first thing that most new players in the forum do is click on the manual thread. Anyway, I wanted to help out the mod by writing a little beginner's tutorial or sorts. (btw, it's copy-pasted from Word so any format issues are because of that. Spelling and such are simply goofs.)

New to Fall From Heaven? START HERE.

FFH is an extremely complex mod. Nearly every part of the original Civilization has been changed in some way. To help those new to the mod, here is a small tutorial of sorts – although this is far from all-inclusive, and more than a little vague. I assume that all players have at least a cursory experience with the original Civ, and can muddle around some on their own. For those of you who really don’t want to read this whole thing, skip to the end – there’s an outline of some of the added stuff in FFH.

First of all, after downloading the mod and opening up the game, you are presented with a rather scary-looking guy wreathed in fire. Remember; DON’T PANIC (hug towel as necessary). Just start a game as normal, with the Grigori civ (leader Cassiel), an Erebus map, Normal speed, and any difficulty (maybe one weaker than you normally play). You can skip the initial movie since there are no instructions there, although it is kind of neat to watch at least once.

So, now you sit with three units: a Settler, a Scout, and a Warrior. Immediately you’ll notice two things: first, that Scouts and Warriors are stronger than normal and that you can see a lot more of the map than in general. These initial benefits are for good reason: capitol city placement is just as (if not more) vital in FFH, and barbarians are MUCH more aggressive and numerous than in vanilla. Before you actually do anything, since this is your first game and a write-off anyway, enter Worldbuilder and look around.

Here, you’ll see that the Erebus map is rather unique. There are LOTS of mountains everywhere, and tons of little valleys scattered everywhere. This is specific to Erebus maps (you can play FFH on the regular types), and gives more of the fantasy flavor to games. The reason you were told to pick an Erebus map is that it’s easier to play defensively on them, and to introduce you to this unique map style (props to cephalo).

As you look around, you should see some signs hanging around, too. These are labeled with odd names like “Yggdrasil” and “Odio’s Prison”, and are on tiles with cool-looking special features. These are unique improvements, only one per world (sometimes not even that – not every one appears every time), which are very powerful. Grab them if you can, but having one shouldn’t make or break a game. Just notice them. Specifically, note a “Guardian of Pristinus Pass”. If this is near (within 10-12 tiles) to you, quit and restart. It spawns powerful Barbarian units once someone comes next to it, and you don’t want to deal with that yet.

Another group of special objects are the lairs. You can consider these to be a type of goody hut, except mutated and evil. You have to press a special "explore" button to see what's in them, and while the rewards they contain can be really neat they often just decide to dump a multitude of barbarians on your head for fun instead. Rule of thumb for your first game: don't explore a lair without heavy backup, especially when you're within range of your lands. It's very risky to explore these otherwise. Also, some of the unique improvements are nothing more than "superlairs", which give very nice things but also host some very un-nice beasties. There are no pink ponies hiding in the Broken Sepulcher.

Other things to notice are the new resources. We’ll get to Mana later – you’ll pretty much ignore it this game – just note that it gives no bonuses to food, commerce, etc. Pearls lie offshore, but can only be harvested by one civilization (read the manual to find out who), so ignore those too. That leaves three – Reagents, Mithril, and Gunpowder. Reagents are moderately good bonuses in and of themselves, but their real benefit is to allow powerful magical stuff. They won’t help right now. Mithril and Gunpowder are revealed in the late game, and allow powerful units. This is as good as place as any to mention that Copper and Iron are handled differently in FFH. They aren’t necessary to produce melee units (Iron is needed for some ships, though), but rather they increase the power of those units. Copper adds 1 strength, Iron adds 2 and a bonus vs. Copper units, and Mithril adds *4* and a bonus against Iron units. These are exclusive (they don’t add up), but once the appropriate tech is researched the upgrade is automatic.

After exploring a bit, you can now exit Worldbuilder and build wherever you like. Once your capitol is placed and set to producing something, enter the city screen. Look at the Great Person Points counter, and you’ll see that you are already getting some points! Yay! This is because of your civilization – the Grigori. Every civ in FFH is unique in playstyle, with distinct benefits and limits. Your civ has the ability to produce Adventurers as Great People. Adventurers are special because they’re Heroes, which as you can guess means they're cool. Every civ in FFH has at least one Hero, but the Grigori can potentially have an unlimited amount. Why are Heroes special, you ask? Well, Heroes automatically get one experience point a turn until they reach 100 XP – which is awesome – and furthermore, they have a couple special promotions like increasing strength - which is more awesome. Other Heroes are unique, with set strength and abilities. Your Adventurers are Heroes which can be upgraded to any common unit. On the flipside, the Grigori cannot join, found, or get any benefits from religions. Thus, we'll ignore them all this game.

Another thing to notice is the selection of research. All your options are ungodly long to research, and you can’t even get MINES until the second tier. Also, there are several split paths, instead of one integrated path. This is intentional (duh), and forces players to specialize and eventually select one way to win. As a rough approximation, the paths are split thusly: magic (which we’ll ignore this first game), religion (also ignored), economy, recon, and combat. There are benefits to each, and powerful units result from each. This first game, you’ll probably want to focus mostly on combat with a little bit of economy mixed in.

Your first tech options are Agriculture, Exploration, Ancient Chants, and Crafting (you start with one of these, but I forget which one, so bear with me). They grant (in order): farms, roads, Monuments (culture), and wineries (yes, wineries – but Crafting leads to Mining, and from there to better combat units). Pick any one of the basic ones; eventually you’ll want them all.

Now, a note about your starting units (the Warrior and Scout). They will die within 75 turns, almost guaranteed. Scouts have a VERY short lifespan in the early game – often 20 turns or less. Erebus (the place where this all happens, not the map) is not a friendly place to visit. Animal counts are higher, barbarians start rampaging earlier, and some of the people you meet are just not friendly. Deal with it, and choose whether losing half a dozen scouts in exchange for some gold and a tech is worth it. You are generally safe using the starting Warrior to do a loop around instead of home guard, but at high levels, anything is possible.

Assuming you are at Prince/Monarch difficulty, your first unit produced should probably be a Warrior to replace the exploring one you’ll lose. Any higher, and you can’t explore – so another Scout is kind of nice. Any lower, and it really doesn’t matter – it’s a lot easier for your units to survive at the beginning, so it’s a toss-up whether you want to have three units out/empty home or build a garrison troop.

Don’t forget to check out your Civics. Your options are unrecognizable from the original Civ ones, but note that you are a Pacifist. You’ll want to stay that way until you get at least two Adventurers, but then you should change since army costs will be outrageous. If you feel evil, switch to Fend For Themselves sooner or later – and note the relative benefits of City-States and God-King. You’ll want to be one of them eventually.

Your beginning game will be slow. Animals should appear within 25 turns, barbarians within 70. After getting the first tier of techs, aim for Education (cottages) and Bronze Working (Axemen + Copper boost). Sometime around turn 75, there will be an event telling you that some unkind fellow named Orthus has showed up. If he’s next to you (i.e., closer to you than anyone else), you should probably quit. Orthus is a barbarian Hero with 6 strength and a bad attitude, and if he’s next to you he can turn ugly. You can try to kill him quickly (and I mean quickly, within 20 turns) but for your first game he’s an unnecessary complication. In some games, Orthus seems to acquire an entourage of barbarian troops in some twisted playerkilling megastack. Don’t let it happen. If he’s not next to you, ignore him, but you might see a computer civ or two die in a hundred turns or so.

The makers of FFH had a little bit of an event fetish. There are tons of them, with a very eclectic mix of effects both good and bad. You can't really affect which ones you get, though, so just try to ride it out. If, for instance, you get an event involving a hungry hill giant and some innocent pigs, just chalk it up to the "FFH Experience!" and continue about your business. And, for the love of whatever diety you worship, do NOT antagonize the rabbit. EVER.

Anyway, don’t forget those Adventurers you got. At about turn 100, you should have two and one of them should be above 60 experience. Hopefully, you haven’t lost one (there’s an annoying random event bug that can do that). Upgrade at least one of them to Warrior – you might want to do both, since you aren’t going to be having recon units above Scouts anytime soon. In the future, you may want to upgrade one to an Adept – but not this game. Promote your super-Warrior with whatever sounds cool – a possible recommendation is to get all the Combats, which allows you to get Heroic Strength/Defense for power boosts.

You’ll probably have met someone else by now, if all you explorers haven’t died. You’ll notice a few new things down by the Diplomacy corner of the main screen. First of all, the dude(ette) you met is either Good, Neutral, or Evil. This indicates their general alignment in the world – generally the Good guys stick together, the Evil guys rampage together, and the Neutrals get hit by everybody (you, by the way, are Neutral). This is by no means a definite arrangement, since alignments can change and sometimes your Good friends just tick you off, but you can generally figure along those lines. Also, alignment doesn’t relate to behavior – some of the Evil guys are genuinely loyal, while the worst conquering type in the game is Neutral. Nationality matters a lot more, and experience will teach you who does what. Look out for the Hippus, the Doviello, and the Malakim, though. Just saying. Another thing you’ll see is a reassuring little red line reading Armageddon Counter. It should read in the single digits. Ignore it. As it goes up, bad things happen, but for your first game assume that there is nothing you can do about it and try to ride the wave. It’ll be explained later, in the parts of the manual that I don't help with because lots of thinking and research were involved. Just wait for the pleasant experiences as the AC rises above, oh, 50 or so.

Some last things to help you out. The Grigori have three unique units and two unique buildings, relatively bland by FFH standards. The unique buildings are the Adventurer’s Guild (increased GP Adventurer points and two free XP), and the Grigori Tavern (same as normal tavern, plus GP Adventurer point). The first unit (and the only one you will care about right now) is the Dragon Slayer, which is useful not for it’s advantage against dragons (which you’ll probably never need) but for their Courage, which grants faster healing and immunity to Fear (babble to you right now, but you’ll see why it is useful as you play). The other two are the is the Grigory Medic and the Luonnatar, that you will never get to use if you ignore the magic techs as you should. Finally, each civilization in the game gets a “world spell”, an extremely powerful one-time shot that gives great benefits. The Grigori spell resets the Great Person counter, and if you have ever played Civ before you’ll know that’s useful. To use it, select the appropriate button by the unit order stuff; it's called "Ardor". And finally, Cassiel has the Adaptive trait. That means that he periodically can change one of his other traits to another one of his choosing. Your first change should be at turn 95 or 96, with one every 100 turns.

So at this point, you can basically play as normal. Focus on the “combat” techs, culminating in Mithril Working, with whatever techs you think sound cool. You will see some weird things happen, but if you are a good player playing on a relatively easy difficulty, you should muddle through. It’s more than *I* had, no one told *me* any of this, some of us just figured it out. As for victory, well, you won’t. Not in the first game, unless you went on a monster conquest spree and got a big score whilst avoiding Hyborem. In any case, there are some of the regular ways to win: conquest, domination, culture, and score. There are also a few new ones. Religion (I think it’s new, I haven’t played BTS in a while), Tower of Mastery (you need lots of that mana you ignored), and Alter of the Luonnotar (you need those religious techs you ignored). Basically, the Tower required one of every mana type (I’m getting there, I promise), while the Alter requires a half-dozen Great Prophets and a big wonder. They sound easy, but they’re not.

Suggestions for your second game are as follows: Try a new civ. Another one that is generally easy for newcomers to learn is the Bannor, who basically play like the old civs but have a unique Civic for the warmongering types. Also, experiment a little. Get a couple mages and upgrade them randomly, just to see what happens. Found a religion. Go kill that guy from Hell. Find a dragon. If you’re not sure what’s going on, you’re doing it right. You’re not supposed to.

OK, finally: Magic. How does it work? How do I learn it? Can I fly with it? None of these are answered here, but FFH has a remarkably complex system that must have been a real pain to design that revolves solely around magic. This is the part where most FFH noobs shut down, since it’s totally unrelated to the “real” Civ. Anyway, magic comes from Mana, which is either provided from your Palace, some Wonders, some Unique Features, and the ground – those pretty blue crystal things.

To use it, you need Adepts – magic users. Adepts are weak units strengthwise, but the magic they can do is pretty sweet as they get stronger, they get a free promotions, and they automatically get experience, albeit at a pretty slow rate. Each spell you can do is based on the mana you have and the promotions your Adepts have – technically, the promotions become available due to your mana. That’s because each mana has a type. You can’t use the blue mana, you need Water mana or Chaos mana or Shadow mana, instead. To make the mana into what you want, you have to build an improvement on it with an Adept. The improvements available are limited by your tech (you need Divination, Elementalism, etc.), so the spells you can cast are limited too.

The spells for Adepts are actually pretty weak. None of them can do damage; instead, they do stuff like add strength boosts to other units, increase heal rate, terraform, start fires, summon a skeletal buddy, etc. However, Adepts can upgrade to Mages once the appropriate tech is researched and the Adept is level 4. Mages can access a new level of spells once they get the right promotions, which are more powerful – generally they are summons, creating a unit for a short period of time. Mages can then upgrade to Archmages, with another level of still stronger spells. There is a limit on the number of Archmages a player can have, although an Archmage with Death 3 as a promo can become a Lich a free up a slot.

It is clear that magic is NOT all-powerful. Early magic users are almost defenseless (especially against those damn assassins), and without a whole bunch of promotions are useless or close to it. Mages and Archmages are extremely valuable while still being vulnerable. Refined mana (upgraded from the blue kind) is “stuck”. It cannot be changed UNLESS one of two things happens: the Amurites (a mage civ) casts their world spell, which resets all mana back to raw, OR a Mage with Metamagic 2 casts Dispel Magic on a specific node.

There is another kind of magic too – Divine, related to religion. Each religion (except the Council of Esus) has its own line of disciples that grow in power just as mages do. The initial ones can only spread the religion and increase healing speed (the Medic promotion is rare in FFH), but this is offset by the fact that the second tier can be built with no XP limits. These Priests can cast a couple weak, religion-specific spells or have religion-specific abilities, but they can also sacrifice themselves to create a temple in a city and spread their religion with no chance of failure. Finally, there is a level above them that does require a specific experience level, but these guys have spells as strong as the Archmages. Moreover, religious units don’t need promotions to get their spells, so they can focus on other promotions. They are less flexible, though, and generally have fewer spells as a whole. As for religion in general, each religion in FFH has different benefits. If you want to know what they are, look it up.

One more thing: the scenarios, which have finally been added. I'm not going to explain anything more about them than how to play them: there's a button up by the advisor buttons, way on the right side. Press it, then select an available scenario by unintuitively clicking the button next to the name on the RIGHT of the screen. A lot of these are difficult, but a couple of them are pretty easy and in fact designed to help out the noobs. Specifically, the Grand Menagerie (which involves hunting) and the Gift of Kylorin (which involves magic).

A Recap of What’s New in Fall From Heaven (in no particular order, and missing some stuff, and really more along the lines of things you should make an effort to find out about somehow):
• Armageddon
• Good and Evil Epic Battles
• Hell
• Magic
• Councils (Over/Under)
• New units, wonders, buildings, etc. – tons thereof
• Civics are revamped
• Vampires, Elves, Dwarves, and More!
• Guilds
• Landscape is Cooler
• Heroes
• Religions are unique to play
• Civilizations are unique to play
• Scenarios

dude, this is AWESOME! I only wish you would had posted it one month I go before I started playing :D this is gonna be a big help for newcomers. great work indeed, bravo! :goodjob:

I don't have too much time of late, but I am working on an update.

orangelex44: Great introduction writeup. I still haven't read the entire thing, but I have added it into the manual right after the "What is Fall from Heaven" page from Kael/GreyFox. Some initial comments:

1. I'll touch up a little bit of the writing where I think it might be a bit too vague, but by and large plan to leave it unmolested.

2. Any chance that the community can provide some nice screenshots to insert at key points? There are a few things which would be beneficial to have a screenshot of right from the begining (what a "sign" looks like, and precisely what the Guardian of Pristinus Pass and Broken Sepulcher look like).

David_Allen: I am slowly working through all of your requests. The reorganization and recoloring are both relatively large projects which I need to do in a single sitting to do them right, so they may take some time to include.

If there is any way I can contribute to implementing the reorganization I requested, please let me know! I think it will help a lot, but that is just one person's vote.

orangelex44: Just noticed that you state the Grigori only have 1 Unique Unit, the Dragon Slayer. But they also have the Grigori Medic. Are you intentionally skipping him since you said to ignore the magic and religious paths for the first game?

No, just forgot about him - my bad. I was pretty much writing it from memory. As you said, you wouldn't use him if you ignore religion/magic, but I'll change that paragraph just a bit to to include him.

Did you also forget about the Luonnatar?

Do you plan to point out how you can Grigori Medics are among the best units in the game, since when they are randomly given a religion they start with all the High Preists spells, without national limits or level requirements?

Yes, and not really.

The first part is my bad (I'll edit a bit again), the second is something that should really be covered in the manual proper. I'm not really trying to give an exhausting stratagy guide for the Grigori, I'm just trying to let new players get a feel for some of the special things FFH offers without undue confusion. If players want to know real specifics about Cassiel and crew, they should either check the Civilopedia or Xienwolf's manual.

Besides, half the fun of FFH is playing around, trying something new, and realizing "hey, I wasn't expecting THAT, I wonder how I can use that later..." and devising some wacky new strategy, just because they can. Or, at least, that's part of the fun for ME because I never really try for a victory other than points and don't start any game with a plan.

It seems like an oversight to me too, but I've been pointing it out for about 6 months and nothing has changed.

I have the new intro bits added in and links included. Since the rest will take quite a bit of time which I won't have for a fair while, I will make an attempt at sharing the base files so that others might be able to work on the manual as well. The tricky bit will be setting up Open Office properly so that you can open the manual and see what I see. Once that is done then it is possible to trade savefiles back and forth to allow others to help develop the manual with slightly less issue.

So, first step would be to install Open Office 2.4.1.

Once you download and install that, the only trick remaining is to have your presets match mine. The only way I know how to do that is to zipfile everything I have for Open Office and upload it. I am not even certain that this will work however, so if it does not then I will have to write up instructions on how to create the page layouts yourself so that they match mine. Then again, it might not even be needed, but the only other Open Office file I have ever dealt with didn't open properly formatted in any manner whatsoever (that would be Grey Fox's Manual).

Warning, this upload is 140 MB.

And finally you would need the savefile for the current revision of the manual.

Now, I don't anticipate making this into a community project unless I can learn how to make the entire manual break up into nice little small files which can be easily edited and uploaded in tiny chunks which naturally mesh together. But anyone who make some fairly major changes (preferably not spread out all over the place) could possibly contribute them and help the manual see true "completion" sometime before we are all dust :)

I installed OpenOffice and opened up your save file. Without downloading your presets I was able to create a PDF which looks identical to yours, except for the browned-paper background and the icon watermarks on the civ and religion pages.

How do you fill in all the data? Completely manually? How do you put in the big icons such as the tech tree or unit icons? How do you put in the small inline icons like :yuck: ? Do you have a macro or some other semiautomatic method for putting in the links?

It isn't feasible for two people to edit the same chapter, but there are some chapters like civics which are mostly blank. I was vaguely thinking about trying to automate the dumping of this information directly from the program, but I'd need to know more about doing the graphics.

I didn't get much response to my thread about short beginners descriptions; maybe people figure this stuff is already available here, or on some FFH wiki? Having contradictory information in different places is undesirable.

Good to hear that just a raw install of OO let you get everything working :)

The brown background I add after making the PDF so that I can keep it from printing. Odd that the watermarks didn't appear though since those are inserted with OO.

Yes, all data entry is completely manual. Things are spread between XML, Python and SDK. Frequently they require some translation or in-game experience as well. Add to that my own reluctance to automate anything until I have done it by hand a couple of times and macros become a non-option :)

Images I converted all of the DDS files in the PAK to GIF and I place them manually. The small ones I either shrunk a GIF or I cropped it out of the GameFont.tga (most of them are shrunk GIFs for resources since the GameFont file sucks at those).

Hm. The chapters which summarize the unique things for each civ and religion are highly valuable and not easy to learn from the civilopedia. But some of the other chapters like civics and technologies may be easier to pick out of the civilopedia. If there was an automatic way to fill those in, it would be less intimidating.

It seems possible I could help reorganize one chapter by a lot of cutting and pasting; or are there some other tasks which could be "separated out" that I could help with?

Right now I have absolutely NO time to work on it. So no risk of cross-work if it is just the two of us doing anything. So re-organization of each section to be a single Alpha-sort list, and possibly changing out all of the colors which do not print to be something better (or non-colored I suppose) would be the more useful tasks overall.

I think it is a plugin for enhanced searching which I use, but I can search for text by formatting. Typically I do a search for any Hyperlink when I recolor, but if you are targetting a specific color instance I think you can search by specific color as well. Would have to play with that on my end to see if you really can. And find the name of the plugin.

Now that I see how much work is required to produce what you have done, I am doubly impressed. I retract my suggestion about reorganizing the chapters, the work is not worth the small increase in usability. Now that I have found my way around the manual and the game, I can usually guess the right section to look into.

I do still recommend choosing a different color for cyan link colors, and changing the light green link color to dark green.

Is there a reason the spell spheres table is in the middle of the promotions chapter? It seems much more useful to have it just before the spell list, in the magic chapter.

I've been thinking about the duplication of data in the manual. I guess if a topic appears twice, and it changes in a new game update, you have to make two updates. I have noticed a few things listed twice: the world spells, the religious spells, and the religion-specific civics. I think you could reduce the magic chapter to the sphere spells (introduced by the spell sphere table) and the special actions list.

What areas of the manual are based on the SDK and Python? As part of my continuing education I have begun considering ways to convert the XML data (including language files) into meaningful documentation and lookup pages (to generate something similar to this: http://apolyton.net/civ4/info.php). Setting up a structure to handle "community knowledge" as well as some of the SDK/Python information is not that difficult but as I haven't gotten into that at all I cannot make any kind of informed design decisions.

I am nowhere near having something useful yet, and am unclear on some of the more layout oriented items (i.e., I can massage the data to a large degree but getting a reasonably pretty layout - without using OpenOffice Spreadsheets - is going to be interesting). I am leaning toward DocBook -> PDF but we'll see. Suggestions?

If I do things right the "community project" aspect will be a natural result, though I doubt I'm going to be able to get something as beautiful as the current manual (though I hate the side-by-side page view; laptop screen is small and very difficult to read).

I'm not there yet but in what form are the GIF image files accessible? I'll need local files for any PDF's I attempt to generate but are the various GIFs available (or allowed) via URL? Also, is there some kind of naming scheme being used, and if so what is it?

Once I start making actual progress, as opposed to learning the technology, I'll start a thread and put forward my various goals and ideas. Briefly however, function (and maintainability) over form is my primary orientation; though both are important. I also place a high emphasis on the separation of data and presentation, which has a number of advantages in being able to provide the information in different formats and with different criteria without actually duplicating the data.

I hope no-one feels I am stepping on toes; and this is not a critique of the current manual (plural if you consider my system will hopefully apply to BtS and the new Colonization which is based upon the Civ4 engine as well). This is a very practical project for me to learn some of these skills and techniques. Unfortunately, however, I cannot commit to a time-frame right now due to real life commitments.

And the internet strikes again. Wrote up a nice long reply to David and Polobo, and then hit the wrong hotkey and lost it all. Joy.

Short of it: Yeah, I wish I could get rid of the need for double updating, but the method I know of to link tables into a seperate section doesn't allow me to delete the tables, so it can cause issues as the game changes should I attempt to do things that way.

Recolor of a few fonts won't take long, so I'll have those for the next major update of the Manual. And I thought about placing a Table of Contents laid out like a spellchart in the Magic section when I was looking at the resort for single Alpha.

For what is in the SDK/Python, it isn't a huge section, it is little extra pieces of data. Like what spells are possible with Wonder, what buildings Hyborem gets for free. The chances of a Treant Spawning. Odd things that just require irregular look-ups, so aren't really possible to automate.

There is the Wikia and the Online Civilopedia for currrent community projects. Each has a fair amount of data, but I imagine you are talking about something printable, which neither really is. But Wikia has most of my GIFs uploaded to it if you cannot convert your own (unpack the PAK files, use Gimp or Photoshop to convert the DDS files).

If you want a nice program to do an automated manual in, you want Microsoft Access. It is a beast to learn, but it is hands down the BEST resource you could use for a project like this. It's really rather well designed for this kind of thing actually. And there are ways to automate and link what you do with a .php if you get really good at it so you could make it community editable.

There is the Wikia and the Online Civilopedia for currrent community projects. Each has a fair amount of data, but I imagine you are talking about something printable, which neither really is. But Wikia has most of my GIFs uploaded to it if you cannot convert your own (unpack the PAK files, use Gimp or Photoshop to convert the DDS files).

If you want a nice program to do an automated manual in, you want Microsoft Access. It is a beast to learn, but it is hands down the BEST resource you could use for a project like this. It's really rather well designed for this kind of thing actually. And there are ways to automate and link what you do with a .php if you get really good at it so you could make it community editable.

Could you please provide the links for the Wikia and Online Civilopedia sites? I do want to make print be one of the output formats but making the information available online will also be a goal; though one that will occur naturally. Once I've looked over the other sites I'll have a better idea of what online functionality I'd want to focus on making available - once the core data manipulation is completed.

I am quite a proficient SQL programmer (I'd use Java/PostGreSQL as opposed to PHP/Access for this project given my lack of experience in PHP, but that is mostly a mechanical concern - not design). Given that the source of most of the existing data is in hierarchical XML (making setting up a relational model a pain) using an XSLT driven design seems more appropriate. I also don't think the reporting features of Access 2003 (haven't tried 2007 yet) would easily accomplish what I am thinking; which is why I am leaning toward DocBook. I may be missing something here so if you feel like elaborating I can at least give you some insight into the thought process behind my design choices or actually realize that I may be heading down a more difficult path than necessary.

As for the SDK information, I will need to copy some of the information available in the codebase into an appropriately structured XML file but by your own admission it would compose a small part of the entire project and wouldn't take too much effort to maintain until some of those items are moved into the core XML files.

Well, I am familiar with output from Access, but not to much with non-manual input. So it might be better to construct your database in another program. But once compiled the best I know of for the output would be Access without a doubt. It does especially nice with multi-field lookups and whatnot. That said... never heard of PostGreSQL, or DocBook really. So they may be improvements over Access.

In the long post I had pointed at my Sig for the links to Wikia and Online Civilopedia, forgot to re-add that pointer :) They are the first 2 links in the next to last line.

By and large, it isn't that you would want to wait on the SDK pieces to be moved to the XML, because that won't happen. Nothing is hardcoded in FfH. The pieces you need in the SDK would be part of your framework to translate precisely what each XML field means. So most all of the checking in the SDK would be done while you are setting up your automation protocols. (things like figuring out which Pre-req fields in a Promotion are required to gain by level, and which are required to gain by Spell - though I think in base FfH all prereqs are needed in both cases)

Top Bottom