Fall From Heaven NES

ooc: I guess i dont have a choice.. I'm not really in a position to stop them. I tell you this though: the military spending just shot way up. They are VERY aggressive and right on my border. This is bad...
... but fun.

ooc: I guess i dont have a choice.. I'm not really in a position to stop them. I tell you this though: the military spending just shot way up. They are VERY aggressive and right on my border. This is bad...
... but fun.

As long as you aren't victim it's fun ... :D:D

Yeah- i feel bad for kuriotates. I want to see what Algeroth posts.

End of Turn 11
Start of Turn 12​

WAR!!!

In cold spring dawn, Kuriotate armies crossed their borders and entered the contested Grindstone Plains. Two Kuriotate and one Grigori Militia regiments surrounded the Dwarves, who were still recovering. Fortunately for Dwarves, they were ordered to build a camp at defensive position, unfortunately for Dwarves, no one really expected attack and they let themselves be surprised and surrounded.

In the meantime, messenger ravens swarmed Vaults of Khazak, the Khazad Palace. They carried a message from Cardith, claiming that he wanted to capture general Thorne. Incidentally, Thorne was, by Imperial order, summoned to Palace two weeks earlier, to give his view over slaughter and possibly for a trial. Defense was lead by a relatively unknown general, Ylad R'nog, old and bold, and above all stubborn dwarf. He claimed that Thorne was not in camp, Kuriotates did not believe. Ylad refused to yield, even if cut off his supply lines, and having few stocks in pillaged province.

Knowing his troops will starve soon, he made a bold move, he attempted to break the ring around his camp and flee. He had one trick up his sleeve. Last night, before he went to sleep, he had sent half of his bear division to scout the borders. This was dire move but if caught he could always claim that bears were wild. Now he just needed a messenger to reach bears and attack armies from behind and use a hole in formation.

This indeed happened tomorrow evening and militia and paramanders and half of bears all attacked Kuriotate regiment from one side, while other bears attacked from behind, all storming the single Kuriotate unit under the cover of night. Kurio Militia unit was soon broken but other two units joined the fight and attempted to encircle the Dwarves, and bloody fighting ensued. Now Kuriotate Hunters (who were earlier sent to search for bears, but did so on the wrong place) joined the fight from the reserve. Hunters had some success in fighting the bears, so bears were soon ordered to run away on west, towards Capital, Hunters followed them, while Paramanders and Milita remained in fight with two Militias (Third one running away in panic, after being struck by all of Dwarven army). Battle hardened Paramanders were more than match for militia, but injured Dwarven militia was not. Dwarves were one with much higher morale in this battle, defending their lands, and it helped them, after all Dwarves goal was to escape the trap. After one hour of slaughter a spot opened and Paramanders begun their retreat towards west, but Militia were slain in battle to the last one.

Two rump militia units followed Paramanders, Hunters who chased bears also returned and Paramanders were once again surrounded, but again won their way because of low morale of Milita who flinched when Paramanders charged them and opened a spot, again.

At the end of the night, dawn marked a pyric victory for Kuriotates. Routing militia unit was rallied and assembled again, though with heavy loses, and other two militia units were damaged as well. Entire Grindstone Plains was occupied, and camp searched for riches. Khazad loses were much greater, lost an entire Militia units, lost over half of Paramanders and good portion of bears. Still, Kuritotates got neither Thorne, nor did they manage to surround and destroy entire Khazad army as many hoped. Khazad can be happy with possibility to restore their armies after some time. A poor fighting shape of Milita on foreign grounds was also noticed. Khazad people are shocked by this defeat.

Khazad: -1 stability
Khazad: Lose 1 Militia regiment
Khazad: Paramanders take 30 gold to recover
Khazad: Bears take 35 gold to recover
Kuriotates: Militia take 21 gold to recover and are immobile for 1 turn
Kuriotates: Militia take 13 gold to recover
Kuriotates: Hunters take 11 gold to recover
Grigori: Militia take 15 gold to recover

Khazad Internally

A son of Gar'Meg clan leader was killed in a border skirmish. After hearing the news, Gar'Meg leader fell to depression, he realized what he had done, how his stubbornness destroyed his tribe and his son and made him into a rebel. He offered to lay down his arms in return for forgiveness and chance to repent by working as a preacher of Kilmorph. Khazad leader accepted this, though some grumble that rebel deserved death. Judging by the state of Gar'Meg leader, he would have accepted death if that was offered to him. Either way, swords of Gar'Meg came under control of Khazad government.
Internally, nothing knits a realm together as a foreign army on its soil. Most clans stopped their rebellious ideas. Gar'Rah clan however was an exception. They attacked lands of Gar'Meg, whose armies were now in control of Khazad. Gar'Meg militia, who seemed confused about who to serve, were soundly defeated in an open battle. Gar'Rah have expanded their lands, but due to war on the east are ready to negotiate.

Khazad: Militia take 10 gold to recover

Affairs on East

First major events were stirred up when Gloria Viconia, a rightful heir to Faeril that League of the Moon wanted to see on throne, was assassinated with a poisoned wine. This angered nobles to the point where they planned to storm Tharsis. But assassination stripped them of support from populace and lesser nobility, as newly proclaimed heir, Faeril II, was relatively unknown, powerless and at least had doubtful lineage. So they satisfied with disobeying central government completely, ending all their tax payments, crown duties and such.
Now Sorceress Queen boosted her armies with her loyal adept companions who aided her rise to power, and marched her armies south, to crush Summer Court.

Queen Lydia was disappointed in lack of support from other nations. She met with many leaders, often secretly, yet they all offered promises and no weapons. Some even insulted her, seeking to sell her technologies and to earn on her struggle. Summer Court was defended by few rag-bands of militia, boosted by scarce bow-wielding soldiers on treetop, but Svartalfarl Hunters that were sent to scout the area learned that Lydia called some Fawns from the deep forests. Both Hunters and Adepts that were sent to conceal their movement were ambushed, and only Adept magics prevented the catastrophe, and allowed hunters to retreat.

Summer troops fall deeper into Zwir forest, faced by many times more numerous host. After several dozen miles of retreating, archers start to pelt Svartalfarl militia with arrows from trees and Ljosalfarl militia charges froward. Soon Svartalfarl learned what Kuriotates learned recently- Militia are not warriors. No man wants to be ashamed, so they all charge bravely, but as soon as battle proves to be bloody, they seek to run for their lives. First man to throw away his spear will pull hundreds with him, and when they run, they run big time. And Ljosalfarl were in defense and with higher morale, defending homeland with their lives. They were also well equiped, they managed to buy enchanted swords and armors somehow. But numerical advantage (due to shadow magic, this seemed even more so) and adept summons soon overpowered Ljosalfarl and they fell back again...

Svartalfarl followed, knowing that they must get Lydia's head... And soon found themselves facing a full division of three meters tall... Clay Golems. Ljosalfarl managed to arrange trade with Luchuirp who were most willing to help, and so these golems were shipped and hidden in forest, with Fawns disrupting Hunters who were to find them. Confused and afraid Militia begun to retreat despite evened- out balance of powers. They retreated all the way back to Shadowgate, leaving control over Neck between Treachers bay and Shallow End in Ljosalfarl contol, and taking heavy loses in their retreat. This battle ended in a draw, but today a draw was a favorable outcome for Ljosalfarl.

Svartalfarl: Militia takes 18 gold to recover and are immobile for 1 turn
Svartalfarl: Militia takes 10 gold to recover
Svartalfarl: Adepts take 5 gold to recover
Svartalfarl: Hunters take 12 gold to recover
Svartalfar: -20 gold due to pretenders rebels not paying taxes
Svartalfarl: -1 stability

Kuritoates under attack!

After securing their three fronts, Hippus turned their attention to their third neighbor, Kuriotates, and their wast, unprotected lands full of wealth. Can they protect them? Even with their armies thrown against Khazad? Brandon hopes not.

Hippus cavalry, around 4 regiments backed with few mounted shamans make a swift charge over Kuriotate southern lands. Finding no resistance, horses move faster and faster, in a lightning quick campaign. They have finally stopped at Nagyr groove, where they take a vast warehouses of Spices. Kuriotates are shocked, their economy suffers from this lack of resources and at the same time people are desperate in their cities. Panic has spread. People are calling God King's name on the streets of every major city and wonder if Mandate of Heaven has abandoned them. How could this happen? Emperor has sworn to protect them. How could he not see this danger? Barbarians have grown for years, untouched, why didn't anyone organize and crush those barbarians before? Everyone assumed they are harmless folk, ready to be conquered latter, when the time is right, like flocks of sheeps... They were wrong. Now Kuriotates are locked in two front war, and people are starting to think they are living in a nightmare... The latest news are that Kuriotates will soon be facing Hippus on the streets of Naggarond... Could this be true?

Kuriotates: -30 gold, -6 stability

Kuriotates establish criers of Ga Rur Nag

Kuriotates funded an effort to preserve Orcish culture, their stories, way of life and memories on the Grindstone Plains. This improves orcish faith in Kuriotates and also Kuriotate feelings towards Orcs. Many Orcs that have gone to Grigori Shazaak now want to fight for Kuriotates in this war, and to destroy heathen midgets...

Kuriotates +1 stability
Grigori -1 stability
Khazad -1 stability

Kuriotates complete Urban Deveopement

Kuriotates have completed their project of improving their cities, redesigning them with help of most renowned architects, taking in account planned growth, places for granaries, aqueducts... Many effort was spent into precise census, counting exact population and food required to provide for them.

Kuriotates +2 gold from cities, increased commerce limit by +5.

Piracy against Grigori continues

Pirate ships from north still plague Grigori coasts. They are sinking valuable treasury, that hurts already empty imperial vaults. This upsets the populace, as their government is not able to protect traders.

Grigori: -15 gold, -2 stability

Grigori complete Imperial Roads

Grigori have finally completed their expensive project of building a net of paved, good roads between their cities. These offer faster troop movement, as well as increased trade.

Grigori: Faster troop movement over their lands, +1 trade route

Amurites discover an great landmark

While colonizing Faenig isle, settlers found an amazing creation, a Standing Stones made by Kilmorph herself. These stones were guarded by ancient monks, Elohim. They are friendly and claim that there are more of Holy sites on Erebus: Dragon Bones and Mirror of Heaven on unknown locations, and also at least two more unknown holy sites. In any case, Amurites are amazed by this wonder, and their mages control Earth magic better.

Amurites: +1 stability, gain Earth mana

Saints Cult

Free religion has it's downsides. Some abuse it, and cults soon appear. In Balseraph and Kuriotate lands, a Saints' Cult has appeared. Their worshipers worship graves and bodies of deceased, believing that their spirits and powers still linger around, so they both help their deceased by worshiping them, and in return gain their blessings and empowerment.
This wouldn't be a problem if people wouldn't start worshiping those who were known demon summoners, like dead Amurite Archmages Tyrion and Thomas. Their cults include blood sacrifice, human sacrifices and infernal pacts.

In Balseraph lands a religious reactionaries appear, gathering around count of the Dark Castle. They claim that things were better when Balseraphs worshiped Overlords. Their religion of choice is the more radical interpretation or that religion, centering aroun Water God of Dreams, insanity and visions. They call themselves and their religion The Undertow. They were not able to act due to extremely high stability of Balseraph kingdom.

Balseraphs and Kuriotates: -2 stability

Coat of Arms of Dark Castle

Elections in Amurite lands

Amurite government term is due to expire and their Republic will soon pick new government. Election campaigning has started, and peasants are once again furious that they won't be able to vote. They are already protesting, some are even staging an anti-elections with universal suffrage, to elect an counter-government. People are uneasy about this, and rumors are that many merchants will vote for men of Order, favored by lowest class, if only out of fear of disorder, to appease the lowest and retain order. Most prominent persons are either Valledia's men or Order's, though Order has moderate and radical faction within their followers. Also, a few militarists are prominent, gathering themselves around semi-secret society with still unknown agenda, known as Mithril Guards. The fact that Amurites have sold a part of their rightful lands to 'barbarians' does not help the current government, but those lands have no real worth to Amurites.

Amurite: -2 stability (doubled due to war recovery to -4)

Calabim nobles

As a part of agreement Princess Alexis was forced to sign with Hippus, wards were exchanged. Calabim got sons of few Hippus chiefs, while few of Calabim nobles were forced to leave Calabim lands with all their properties and make their living in Hippus lands.

This caused an uproar in Calabim Principality. Nobles did not want to go and it took force to make them pack themselves. Showing poles Hippus intended for their heads indeed helped, but feeling that Alexis can not protect their nobles and nation is all pervasive. Even more so, people know this through rumors, and this is going against everything they were talked about. Still, Alexis is pleased that Acaia is still part of Principality of Calabim. Had Hippus conquered it, Vampires would show as weak in eyes of all 'lesser' humans and social structure would be shook tremendously.

Calabim: -2 stability

MAP:
Spoiler :

Now for Hippus (and a note for players)

You may have forgotten how dangerous Erebus is. This was especially notable in low military spending compared to economic. I myself prefer economy and diplomacy over war, but without revealing other players info, I can say few players have enough troops even to defend themselves.

This was noticeable on your barb treatment. There were few barbs in two provinces in Hippus lands, yet no one bothered to secure that area, or even protect against eventual attack. In fact I used events to force Luch into building more golems, cause I'd feel bad if I just sent orcs to take his lands :p

After being left alone for long enough, I was thinking about sending a major barbarian uprising to deliver a message, but I figured out Hippus were more fun. And fair. For entire turn, they were on map, yet no one bothered to really squash them or take real action. If all or even few players combined against them, they'd be dead.

I also take pride in my part, as I was playing their diplomacy. I managed diplomacy one by one step, successfully, avoiding that 'screw you' that would have gotten me. Kurios were chosen as a final target, as they had best ratio of wealth versus army, and they were openly conflicting Khazad. Though at one time Calabim were pretty close to being Hippus target, they managed to strike a deal...

Yeah- that was pretty awesome. Very entertaining. I am looking forward to what Algeroth and LdiCaesar write.

So I assume my other agreements with the other nations went off without a hitch?
Edit: actually, I was planning on on attacking the barbs before the Hippus showed up and once they did I decided to wait and see what would happen.

And i want to see what Tyrs has to say to you Merciary. Care to comment on the golems found in 'summer court'?

Confess that last few reports were best!

Yes ... :D

Where's written stability for each country?

## MESSAGE
To: all nations, all merchants (including in our lands)

As you know, there is threat of pirates in our coast. So we appeal on you: use our imperial roads instead seas for transporting trade goods until we solve this problem...

And i want to see what Tyrs has to say to you Merciary. Care to comment on the golems found in 'summer court'?

I have no need to explain what I did. The Summer Court came to me asking to purchase equipment. I gave them a price, they accepted, and the deal was done. This was all prior to any public statement by anyone and did Tyrs ever ask to buy equipment... no. So I see it as their loss as not considering that someone may have weapons for sale.

So I assume my other agreements with the other nations went off without a hitch?

Yeap :) Including golems.

Haha, this will be entertaining.

@ anw - its hidden. You can know your own, and foreign only via espionage or embassies.
And I bet your roads will find their use... If you get out the war you are on!!!

Interesting, Kurios never once mentioned 'war' but punitive mission. But invasion of other man's lands and attacking his army to get his generals is pretty much war to me. Unless Khazad want to call this a mere incident. But with Hippus on other side, that would be... hmmm...

Luchiurp, Calabim and Balseraph seem pretty quiet. EDIT: and lanun

@ JOPA: can you explain stability? What is the max? Can we equate the rating to the percentage of popular support? I know what my support rating is (well, before the update), but i don't really know how to interpret it.

On Order in Amurite lands:

There are two factions- moderate, with less supporters but more influence, and radical, with much more supporters but less 'prestige'. The reason for the moderates to have more influence despite less supporters is that leader of Order faction, Nicholas Cassel, was a moderate, and he saw extreme radicalism as a dangerous to fundaments of society, so he did his best to compromise and take the lead, rather than letting it fall in the hands of dangerous radicals.

Moderates support the Republic with Order in charge, issuing laws that fit the Code of Junil. That means obedience, sacrifice for greater good, but also justice, equality. Radicals are similar except that they are for Theocracy, with no opposition from other ideologies or religions.

There is no such thing as Church official stance. Every order follower, from peasant, through every village priest, to the High Priest, has it's own view on the situation.

In their nature, Amurites are not very spiritual. State religion during Interregnum, a period of rule that begun with fall of Dain the Caswallen to Thomas the Caswallen, and ended with Civil War and Compact of Valledia and Cassel, was Emyrs. They were dedicated to research with no regards to good or evil, dedicated to demon summoning. That religion was not accepted by majority of people. Most still worshiped ancient pagan gods or personality cults of Kylorin and former Caswallens. Order was brutaly supressed.

After death of Thomas, Tyrion ruled for a period of time. Even though civil war begun days after his rising to throne, he still had much populace under his rule, but his grip over people couldnot be strong enough.

In such conditions Order spread like a wildfire, especially in lands occupied by Cassel. Order being quick to spread by his nature, he promised lowest classes justice and equality, in exhange for some freedoms they never had anyway. In fact from their point of view Order was liberal compared to Interregnum's dictatorship.

But by their nature, Amurites are quick to adopt or refuse religion as they see it fit. With enough efforts, they can be converted and Order's influence will fade. But religious multitude has its own faults.

Top Bottom