The Sound of Drums - A British Hearts of Iron II AAR

Which should not be that long.... :p

I am in favor of an invasion of Sicily as it would be easier to organize and and invade as well as easier bombarding and resupplying. And of course, we can easily cut off their supply lines with our subs.

Not only wait for Barbarossa, but wait another 6-8 weeks on top of that to ensure that the
German forces are well and truly comitted in the East.

I had a problem in a previous British game - I took Sicily and southern Italy, but was pushed out of the latter by an overwhelming German/Italian force, who proceeded to stay fortified in southern Italy and refused to let me take any of their beaches. I'm a bit worried about landing in Italy pre-Barbarossa, frankly.

I forgot about Barbarossa. :blush:

My defence is that its yet to happen in any of my games with Germany and the Soviets preferring to fight the allies together.

we may have the resources (once Norway is stabilised) to take on Sicily and keep it. However mainland europe is not possible until our mechanized forces and air force are large enough to stand up the German war machine. No, we must hope that the Soviets see the threat across the inner poland boarder or Hitle makes a mistake and commits himself to a war with the USSR.

Also, do not forget gentlemen that we still have to reinforce the Far East, the men that ought to be are currently holding the fort in Norway.

I propose:

1.) Conclude North Africa Campaign swiftly and keep sicily & the eastern med under lock and key with RAF & RN Patrols, forstalling any Aixis counterattack across the waters.
2.) Move ground forces and FAA or RAF units to Norway to crush this German invasion which is a festering wound on Northern Europe.
3.) Finally despatch the ground reinforcements to the Far East whilst using the remaining surplus to prepare for an invasion of Sicily.

My thoughts at any rate gentlemen.

Which should not be that long.... :p

He has conquered Austria, Czechoslovakia, Poland, Denmark, the Netherlands, Belgium, France and Luxembourg with ease, Norway may follow. He has hardly put a foot wrong in his campaigns, though the same cannot be said of his partner in Italy.

That said:

Not only wait for Barbarossa, but wait another 6-8 weeks on top of that to ensure that the
German forces are well and truly comitted in the East.

I forgot about Barbarossa. :blush:

I realise I brought it up first, but if we're playing this AAR right we have very little inclination that Germany are even going to invade the U.S.S.R. I realise that it's pretty much hard-coded into the game, but we shouldn't presume it will happen :)

Also, do not forget gentlemen that we still have to reinforce the Far East, the men that ought to be are currently holding the fort in Norway.

I propose:

1.) Conclude North Africa Campaign swiftly and keep sicily & the eastern med under lock and key with RAF & RN Patrols, forstalling any Aixis counterattack across the waters.
2.) Move ground forces and FAA or RAF units to Norway to crush this German invasion which is a festering wound on Northern Europe.
3.) Finally despatch the ground reinforcements to the Far East whilst using the remaining surplus to prepare for an invasion of Sicily.

My thoughts at any rate gentlemen.

I wrote down an overall plan for the next two years, but I must confess it got lost among all the paperwork at my desk. Your proposals are along the same lines however - spend the next year reinforcing our armies while strengthening our air and naval forces, then unleash the British Army into Europe.

I wrote down an overall plan for the next two years, but I must confess it got lost among all the paperwork at my desk. Your proposals are along the same lines however - spend the next year reinforcing our armies while strengthening our air and naval forces, then unleash the British Army into Europe.

Sounds like a plan to me, a foreign policy that has seen us do well since the Napoleonic wars :) alas, no one is left on the continent to fight a proxy war through! :(

Sigh, well I'll pop in for the occaisional insult, but I gues I'll be back to this aar next spring when we invade Sicily :p

Cheeky bugger :lol: I said I'll be updating more often from now on, and I will be. Next update in the next couple of days, Cleric will like it.

Tempted to relaunch Rome as well, but one step at a time

Sounds like a plan to me, a foreign policy that has seen us do well since the Napoleonic wars :) alas, no one is left on the continent to fight a proxy war through! :(

Indeed. Time to prove ourselves, I think.

Edit: And Yuri, I will get that Industrial Report done. PMing me like you did is always provides a guilt-induced report :p

Last edited:
I realise I brought it up first, but if we're playing this AAR right we have very little inclination that Germany are even going to invade the U.S.S.R. I realise that it's pretty much hard-coded into the game, but we shouldn't presume it will happen :)

Point taken, but even with little inclination I think the course winds up being about the same; invading Italy right now is obviously suicidal, unless 1) our forces are built up quite a bit or 2) something happens that would appear to divert German attention for quite a while. And IRL the British knew about Barbarossa some time before it was launched (I want to say from the winter of 1940-41...).

Last edited:
Roooooooome!

We should be ready for an invasion in Greece though, once Greece is under attack we can support it as a base for an upcoming invasion in Festung Euope.

Now, where did Prince Scamp put my brandy?.....

The Sound of Drums - A British Hearts of Iron II AAR
Part Forty-Five​

24th July, 1940
The Battle of the Southern Bight

The First Flotte was in a terrible position. Trapped at Rotterdam, it was blockaded by the British Grand Armada and subject to bombardment by every plane based in Britain. The port of Rotterdam was large enough to attempt some improvised repair work on damaged vessels, but bombardment of the facilities by Canadian bombers had halted progress. It was only the reluctance of the British to bomb a former allied territory that meant the port had not been completely destroyed.

To Admiral Raeder an attempt at a breakout and withdrawal to Kiel was the only option, but such a retreat would hardly look good to the rest of the world, and certainly not to the Fuhrer. Some form of victory would have to be achieved, and that could only come with another strike at a British ASDIC fleet that patrolled British waters. Dönitz’s U-boat was largely intact, and with the surface fleet largely destroyed it was Germany’s only hope for a naval victory. Raeder would take command of the First Flotte, destroy an ASDIC fleet, take the fleet safely to Kiel and achieve some honour before resignation. The Kriegsmarine would be handed over to Dönitz, and Raeder could be left at peace to plan and construct a new surface fleet.

Getting out of Rotterdam would be harder than Raeder could have imagined. British agents in Berlin learnt of the admirals plans as soon as he relayed his intentions to the capital. Reporting the news back to Britain, they triggered an immense joint operation between the Joint Intelligence Committee and the Admiralty. While First Lord Darth Pugwash ordered an increase in destroyer activity near the south-east coast, Chief IronMan2055 directed his staff that false reports should be created that suggested the First ASDIC fleet was now patrolling in the southern North Sea. It was a simple strategy designed to bait the First Flotte out of Rotterdam before it was ready.

Bismarck under repair

The First Flotte left Rotterdam before midnight on the 23rd July. Linking up some 50 miles west of the port, they took a careful route through the treacherous minefields that had been hastily laid in the past month. Raeder commanded from the Tirpitz - the Bismarck still in bad shape after its previous engagements with the Royal Navy and in no position to be the lead vessel. Raeder had even suggested to Hitler that the battleship be left at Rotterdam - her poor condition would force the fleet to a maximum speed of 10 knots - but the Fuhrer refused to let the pride of his fleet be abandoned. As such, the First Flotte was charged with defending the Bismarck, for the battleship was barely able to manoeuvre herself, let alone while utilising her guns.

Even at 10 knots the First Flotte could be expected to reach Kiel in three days, though Raeder would need a lot of luck if he expected to do that and hit the ASDIC fleet. He didn’t have it - planes were spotted at first light, undoubtedly from the carriers of the Admiral Cleric. The commander of the Grand Armada had known the First Flotte was going to leave Rotterdam for some time now, thanks to the efforts of British Intelligence. For days his planes had been in the air at every available opportunity, and now the perseverance of his pilots had paid off. The First Flotte was being tracked!

The fleets move into position

The Grand Armada had been spread across the southern North Sea in preparation of the ambush. The carriers were to the south, their planes ready to intercept any Luftwaffe aircraft or fly north to bombard the enemy fleet. The battlecruisers and battleships were further north, Cleric using them to block any attempt by the First Flotte to flee north. As soon as Raeder’s fleet was spotted, he had the Grand Armada move into action.

The two fleets first spotted each other at 09:12, the battlecruisers of the Grand Armada firing into the First Flotte immediately on contact. Their job was to confuse and delay the enemy before the battleships and carriers could enter action. Seeing the tactic for what it was, but with little choice beyond retreat or battle, Raeder returned fire. If he wanted the First Flotte free of Rotterdam, he would have to break through the British cruisers before they could be reinforced.

Here the two Bismarck battleships were in their element. Easily able to outgun the cruisers at a further distance, they attempted to distract the British ships while the rest of the First Flotte steamed quickly north. The first salvo alone scored a direct hit on the light cruiser HMS Arethusa, causing a terrific explosion amidships. By the time the smoke and water had cleared, the Arethusa had overturned and sinking far too quickly for the nearby Orion to offer assistance. A second salvo caused more indirect damage, hitting Orion and Ajax and causing the cruisers to scatter. Raeder’s plan was working, and he was set to press his advantage when he received the news that two aircraft squadrons had been spotted bearing on his position.

Fairey Swordfish planes in flight above the Furious

The planes of the Argus and Furious had been fitted with torpedoes the minute that Admiral Cleric had received word the First Flotte had left Rotterdam. Their pilots had been given special instruction by Cleric - sink the Bismarck! He had been chasing it for nine months now, and he certainly didn’t want it escaping again. Even the Tirpitz was considered a secondary target, though at this time British Intelligence believed that Raeder was commanding the First Flotte from the Bismarck, not her sister ship.

Hitting the two German battleships at 11:48, the Fairey Swordfish launched what was a largely ineffective torpedo attack on the Bismarck except in one detail. One of the torpedoes, probably among the last dropped, managed to strike the very rear of the ship, smashing the rudder and disabling at least two of the propellers. Bismarck was effectively adrift, unable to steer or direct herself. She was still a threat though, and continued to fire at the British cruisers as they struggled to reorganise. On the Tirpitz, Raeder struggled to come to a decision on whether or not to abandon the Bismarck and rejoin the rest of the First Flotte, or attempt a rescue of the battleship. In the end it didn’t matter - the decision was made by the arrival of the HMS Nelson at 12:35, leading the four British battleships of the Grand Armada

Reader had lost his window of opportunity to escape to Kiel, and any moment now he would lose the Bismarck. The British cruisers, under the direction of the HMS Hood, unleashed a at the stricken battleship before turning north-east to chase the rest of the First Flotte. In the meantime, the Nelson was moving to engage the Bismarck while the other three battleships - Royal Oak, Sovereign and Malaya bore down on the Tirpitz. He could do nothing but order the rest of the fleet back to Rotterdam while he used the Tirpitz to focus the British away from them. In what could be considered either a brave or foolhardy action, he ordered the Tirpitz to move directly into the British cruisers.

In doing so, he managed to save the First Flotte, but not the Bismarck. Alone, the German battleship put up a brave, but doomed defence, firing at the Nelson as it approached. The British battleship responded in kind, striking the Bismarck four times before it became clear the ship was sinking. The Tirpitz meanwhile managed to once again scatter the cruisers, slipping to join the rest of the First Flotte and attempt an escape back to Rotterdam.

Here the Royal Navy claimed one more victory. With the British battleships still chasing the Tirpitz, the smaller vessels of the First Flotte attempted to hold them while Raeder made a dash for the relative safety of the minefields. The tactic worked, though at the cost of the light cruiser Köln. The Tirpitz and the rest of the First Flotte managed to escape, entering the minefields at 14:02.

The aftermath of the battle.

Grand Admiral Cleric had finally destroyed the Bismarck, and had severely damaged the Tirpitz for good measure. He had been disappointed to learn from the survivors of the sinking that Raeder had switched command ships before the battle, but even this did little to dampen his spirits. He ordered an extra ration of rum to be given to every sailor in the fleet, and retired to his quarters to work out just how he was going to word the delightful report to the Prime Minister…

Last edited:
Roooooooome!
Roma! Roma! Roma!

It will be, probably in a month or so. I'll probably create a 'new' Volume II thread rather than bump the old one, it's been so long that I'll probably need to see who's up for it.

But that's neither here nor there, this is:

We should be ready for an invasion in Greece though, once Greece is under attack we can support it as a base for an upcoming invasion in Festung Euope.

Given the amount of troops in Africa, we'll probably have the theatre wrapped up in an exceptionally short time. We'll take some of the troops and have them ready for immediate deployment in Greece, should Italy decide to try anything there.

I'd hate to be in Raeder's shoes when the Hitler finds out about this. How much is left of the Kreigsmarine at this point?

An outstanding performance by the royal navy. Africa is falling, the Kriegsmarine has lost almost all of its power and what a lovely African view it is with my brandy.

excellent news in the English Channel, with this action I think its safe to say that the Kriegsmarine has been beaten as an effective fighting force. I think it is safe to say that this proves the Battleship has some life in it yet :D three cheers for that old war horse HMS Royal Oak[/I] and the monster that is is HMS Nelson

Regarding Greece, she can be reinforced if or when needed from troops to be stationed in Africa or Cyprus quite easily. One thing at a time though, what?

I'd hate to be in Raeder's shoes when the Hitler finds out about this. How much is left of the Kreigsmarine at this point?

excellent news in the English Channel, with this action I think its safe to say that the Kriegsmarine has been beaten as an effective fighting force.

They're down to the Tirpitz and an old battlecruiser from the Great War as the main ships of the fleet. Beyond the submarine fleet, which has done nothing, I think we can safely say we've beaten the Kriegsmarine.

I think it is safe to say that this proves the Battleship has some life in it yet :D three cheers for that old war horse HMS Royal Oak[/I] and the monster that is is HMS Nelson

I meant to emphasise this more, but yes, it was truly the battleship that won the day, both for the Royal Navy and the Kriegsmarine. Carriers may be the next step forward, but was the battleship that provided the killing blow.

Regarding Greece, she can be reinforced if or when needed from troops to be stationed in Africa or Cyprus quite easily. One thing at a time though, what?

Not at the moment. All our troops in Africa are dedicated to defeating the Italian forces there, which means we ar in no position to provide a rapid response to a Greek invasion. Let us hope Riptide and PrinceScamp can resolve the African conflict quickly!

Shameless plug-in: My AAR was updated. See link in Sig.

Not really the place, is it?

Last edited:
Top Bottom