SGOTM 10 - Maintenance Thread

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter

BtS SGOTM 10 - Armageddon

Welcome to the C-IV SGOTM 10 Maintenance thread. This thread gives you and the Staff somewhere to post about non-spoiler issues relating to the game. It is a way of communicating to the rest of the players outside your team, and with the staff about matters that affect your team or everyone. You can post about bugs, rule clarifications, problems with the roster etc., but please do not divulge information about your team's progress. Please subscribe to this thread so that you are kept up to date with new information as the game proceeds.

The team lists are at the end of this post.

In this, the third BtS SGOTM, Gyathaar wants nuclear devastation. Stalin of Russia starts in the Renaissance era in 1285 AD, in a world with five Aggressive AI civs. He is hell bent on world conquest, BUT he can only capture a city if he nukes it first.

It's a fight to the nuclear death in an Epic speed, Emperor difficulty game on a Small sized Big and Small map. There are no goody huts, no events, no city razing, no city flipping, no Vassals. Only Conquest is enabled.

It's a standard Renaissance start, so you get a lot of techs at the beginning. Cities are created with pop 2 and a few buildings. You start with two settlers, two longbows, one explorer and a worker. The AI start with two settlers, four longbows, two explorers and a worker.

Versions
This game will be played in Civilization IV Beyond the Sword, version 3.19, using the new all-singing, all-dancing HoF Mod BUFFY-3.19.001. This HoF Mod version is available now. You can download it here.

If a later BtS patch is released during this game you will NOT be able to use it to play. You will need to complete this game in version 3.19 before updating your copy of BtS, or create and update a separate copy.

Mac players can only join in if they are able to run the Windows game on their system.

Timetable
The start files will be published on Friday, August 7 here. There will be one start file per team. Please ensure that you only download your own team file.

The finish deadline is December 7 2009. If any team has not finished by this date they will be deemed to have retired, and will not be eligible for any awards.

Starting Position
Here's the starting position - click the image below to see a larger version.

Map Parameters
  • Playable Leader/Civ - Stalin of the Russian Empire.
  • Traits - Aggressive, Industrious.
  • Unique Unit - Cossack (replaces Cavalry)
  • Unique Building - Research Institute (replaces Laboratory)
  • Renaissance Era start - turn 277, 1285 AD.
  • Difficulty - Emperor
  • Game Speed - Epic (473 turns)
  • World size - Small
  • Rivals - Five
  • Landform - Big and Small
  • Other settings - No city razing, No Culture Flips, No goodie huts, No events, Aggressive AI, No Vassals
  • Victory Conditions - Conquest Only
Notes
  • Please visit the Civ4 SGOTM reference thread to check out the rules and procedures to ensure that you are adequately prepared for this game.
  • Teams will compete for up to four awards - the Gold, Silver and Bronze Laurels for the Fastest Conquest victory, and the Wooden Spoons for the lowest scoring finisher. You will drop down the final ranking table* for each city that you capture without nuking it with a direct hit first. A "Capture" is defined as any method of obtaining a city other than by building it yourself using a settler. A "Capture" also includes retrieving a city you originally built but lost.

*The final ranking will sort teams in the following order:
    1. Win, lose or retire. Wins go first. Retirements go last.
    2. For wins, the number of un-nuked cities captured. Zero missed cities go first.
    3. For wins, the finish date.
    4. For losses and retirements, final score will determine their rankings within those categories.
  • All saved game files uploaded to the server are parsed through software that extracts and archives data about your save, including reload count for each turn set.

Current Team Lists
This is a dynamic feed from the database.

Enjoy your game. May the best team win.

I would just like to mention that I have taken some steps to reduce the differences between the teams due to religions in late era start... :mischief:

I would just like to mention that I have taken some steps to reduce the differences between the teams due to religions in late era start... :mischief:
Do you mean the SG teams or the in-game players?
Any religion has the same value in CIV, with small differencies in the spread rate.

Since you started, a bit more infos will be welcome.

Please check the first post here or in your team thread.

I have updated the rules on penalties for failure to nuke a city before capture, and I have added a deadline of 7 December.

Do you mean the SG teams or the in-game players?
Any religion has the same value in CIV, with small differencies in the spread rate.

Since you started, a bit more infos will be welcome.
I mean so the games will not be totally different depending on how the holy cities are randomly scattered...

The religions are prefounded in presettled barbarian cities... (yes, that means you cant get a holy city untill aftter you have nukes.. :mischief: - however the AIs can get them)

Changed to 1 religion for barbarians, 1 religion for each of the other civs (including player teams)

I mean so the games will not be totally different depending on how the holy cities are randomly scattered...
They are not so random... Simply the holy city will be any player's 2nd city.

The religions are prefounded in presettled barbarian cities... (yes, that means you cant get a holy city untill aftter you have nukes.. :mischief: - however the AIs can get them)
With 6 players the only random factor is the 7th religion.
This way you negate to the human player the chance to build temples and monasteries and to renounce to any religion civic (but FR, of course).

I don't think it's a great idea. A good idea would have been to found the 7th religion in a barb city. This way you make an Emperor game harder.

If it's not already enough harder for the nukes rule.

But i think it's too late to complain, you probably can't be convinced this idea is plain wrong, right?

OK.. you convinced me.. I will make 1 barbarian holy city.. then each civ should get their own religion.. that should leave to an even more war-torn world.. so that is OK

I thought the 7 religions were randomly distributed on approximately Turn 6, among the cities existing at that time. This is typically 12 cities (2 for each civ). Thus, it's possible that a civ could get no religions. Is this not right?

I thought the 7 religions were randomly distributed on approximately Turn 6, among the cities existing at that time. This is typically 12 cities (2 for each civ). Thus, it's possible that a civ could get no religions. Is this not right?
The religions are randomly distributed about civs (not cities). But civs w/o religion take preference. So if there are as many religions available as there are civs everybody will get exactly one.

OK.. you convinced me.. I will make 1 barbarian holy city.. then each civ should get their own religion.. that should leave to an even more war-torn world.. so that is OK
I can't believe it :crazyeye:
I guess the other Teams have to set up a monument in my honor :lol:

And yes, it's what i hope: some nice religious wars to avoid the AI bother poor Mother Russia.
And becoming too advanced, possibly :evil:

I suppose i have to thank you.
Spoiler :
Seriously, thanks for all your efforts in trying to keep this competition interesting :goodjob:

@beestar
no, it's not possible. Just try some test game and you'll see yourself.
The religions will always spread to any player's city #2. In the remote case this is not founded yet, it will spread to the Capital.

Okay. I guess I was confused in my tests by sometimes getting 2 religions, sometimes getting 1. I thought there was a case where I got no religion, maybe I was mistaken.

@Gyathaar
Seeing your last post on SG9 Maintenance thread, an idea comes in my (sick?) mind.

Why not put the obsolete, but always useful Hanging Gardens in a Barb city in our continent? It will come in handy with all those nuclear blasts.

OK, OK i know where i have to go.

Just remember that "to ask is licit, to answer is urbanity"

Fog gazing in flying camera, moving the move pin around while holding shift to check terrain, how much of this is allowed? It is extreemly tendious work that can clearly be viewed as an exploit, but it does have obvious advantages.

I'm not going to try to set a rule, I've already had quite enough of rules debates for one game!

I really don't think they offer much extra information for the effort involved.

You should also find that BUFFY has fixed some of the second one.

I'd like to put in another plug for DwarfSleepy's suggestion of a dedicated Lurkers thread. This would be a great way for lurkers to be involved in the game and also provide a resource for the players; after we've finished, that single thread would provide a place for us to read about the approaches used by the different teams, so we wouldn't have to peruse half a dozen team threads. I don't know if it would really work out that way, but I sure hope so, and it seems worth a shot. Maybe title the thread "LURKERS ONLY" so players don't absentmindedly click on it by mistake. Perhaps even have the equivalent of a team signup if you'd like to have more control over who can post. (Apologies if the Maintenance Thread isn't the appropriate place for this.)

Sorry, but I'm not sure I have the time to set this up and police it. I am *really* very busy currently.

Please note the following list of known issues with BUFFY-3.19.001:

1. Unit Plots are not being cleared if you swap from PLE Style to non-PLE Style. Restart the game clears the plots.

2. The members tab on the Victory Screen is borked. Don't use it - uncheck the F8: 'members tab' in the options to revert to the generic members tab.

3. BUFFY does not like BUG in the customassets folder. The work-round is to rename 'CustomAssets' to something else if you have BUG in it. You can install other mods in CustomAssets - eg Blue Marble - with no problem.

Please note the following list of known issues with BUFFY-3.19.001:

1. Unit Plots are not being cleared if you swap from PLE Style to non-PLE Style. Restart the game clears the plots.

2. The members tab on the Victory Screen is borked. Don't use it - uncheck the F8: 'members tab' in the options to revert to the generic members tab.

3. BUFFY does not like BUG in the customassets folder. The work-round is to rename 'CustomAssets' to something else if you have BUG in it. You can install other mods in CustomAssets - eg Blue Marble - with no problem.

66% of this is over my head.

Sorry, I assume everyone knows more than me :hmm:

1. PLE is a style you can select in the BUFFY 'Plot List' options tab. It is short for Plot List Enhancements, I think, and gives you a row of buttons along the lower edge of the map that allow you to limit the list of units on a plot. So you can show just wounded units, just enemy units, etc. As I understand it, the problem is that if you change this setting during a game it will not revert to normal plot list behaviour. Any filters you had activated while it was enabled will remain active. You have to quit the game and relaunch it to clear the filters.

2. The BUFFY 'Advisors' options tab includes a check box for a Members tab in the Victory screen (UN Members?). Uncheck this box to use the standard version, as the BUFFY Members tab is not working.

3. BUFFY is based on a lot of code that has previously been released as BUG - The BtS Unmodified Gameplay mod. If you have previously installed BUG as a single user mod, then it will have installed in your ...\My Games\Beyond the Sword\CustomAssets\ folder. It will then interfere with BUFFY. So remove it, or change the folder name to hide it.

Top Bottom