ZPNESVI: Nesse, the Chosen City

Sorry people, I no longer got the time to play this.
So the Stonehide Clan can go NPC unless some wants to take them over.
Later

Challoan Orders:

*Garner support in Riva for Nesse at large, Challoan in particular.
*Secure support in Uuta.
*Build our summer home in Uuta.
*Do our job as Magistrate.
*Do something else. Gee, I feel so left out.

Bear Clan Orders

- The Clan has orders to support the Rams in their war against the Cyrians. We will obey them using our conventional tactics, which I have PMed to you. Note we will bare nothing that might relate us back to Nesse and we will speak in our own language, an ancient tongue preserved from when we were barbarians normally used in rituals.
-Hold a big festival of skill and strength for all Elites, Nessers, Outlanders and friendly barbarian tribes to improve relations plus recruit new clansmen, if anyone wishes to join, before we leave to wage war with the Cyrians.

I think I already sent orders, but add to them that House Tuxenius will start work on new, grander housing in the inner city.

The Siege at the End of the First Age:

It begins with Shaurra, one of the Tusecksii companion-girls presented as a gift to the Cyrians by the lords of Ninticus. Where others failed, she succeeded in getting close to the Cyrian general, the Juranar Kar-Ai, the blood-thristy. Lying with him in his tent, completely committed to a secret mission, or consumed with some deep personal torment, or perhaps fuelled by exotic wine and elixir (who can say) - she plunged a rusty knife into his heart. Knowing she had no escape, she swiftly took herself into the afterlife after him.

The Cyrian army moved out the next day, marching north-west from The Ruins. Leadership passed to Juranar Mar-Tan, a much more cautious man. The command went out that all local women were to be kept in chains whenever encountered. The false negotiations of the Ninticus had stalled them long enough. War it was to be, and their first target was the half-built fort of Incendia.

Incendia was swiftly burned to the ground, there was no saving it. If there was a final heroic defence, no-one escaped to tell the tale. Other nearby outposts were overrun before they could be finished. Thousands of Poor Nessians, encouraged to work on defences by the Masadans and the Fire Clan, were captured and taken as slaves.

It was then that the Boar Barbs declared loyalty to the Cyrians and sent a warband to join their army. They also cut the Nessian caravan route to Agadas. These decisions were not popular with all of the Boar Barbs however. Some Boar nobles continued to grant protection to Ìademos scribes, Horned King priests and other Nessian citizens.

The Wolf Barbs were more enthusiastic about joining the Cyrians. The oppertunity for revenge against Nessians, especially the Fire Clan, was most weclome... Revenge against the Boar Barbs would have to wait.

The main Nessian forces, led by Fire Clan, continued a campaign of skirmishing and ambushes. Most of the Outlanders fought only when their lands were endangered, which meant few of them fought at first - the Cyrians stayed away from the forests; the few skirmishers sent in that direction did not fare well at all. A body of infantry was also sent to probe in the direction of Iaedos - and was almost destroyed in an ambush at the new quarry near the town.

Thus, the main Cyrian army pressed on from Incendia, heading straight for Nesse. There was a fierce chariot battle in the fields just south of the city - the Alya earned new respect for their bravery, although their clan patriarch was killed in battle. The Nessian two-man chariots proved their worth in harassing and wearing down the enemy. Juranar Mar-Tan remained cautious as ever, many times calling a halt to reorganise his army. The Nessians never dared to engage in pitched battle. Harassment continued, and the Cyrian dead piled up, but they still had more than enough men to lay siege to the gates of Nesse.

The Fire Clan had been attempting to settle retired soldiers and their families on new farmland in the path of the Cyrian advance. Some of these families soon found themselves enslaved. Others fled towards Uuta, where the old veteran warriors have for the most part been welcomed by the Outlanders.

The outer defences of Nesse itself had been finished just in time. Dozens of families from the nearest farms were taken into the city under the protection of the Demetrii. The besiegers dismantled Demetrii irrigation equipment for use in their siege engines. Funnily enough, it was also the role of Demetrii craftsmen to counter with their own arrow-launchers and catapults mounted on the walls. The Fiddlers brewed up batches of sticky, flammable fluid to pour on the attackers. Perhaps the Cyrians learned of these developments, for their army camped and waited at a safer distance.

Months have passed and the siege continues. Of course, a large army needs a lot of feeding, but the Outlanders have now earned something of a reputation, and foraging expeditions are not popular. Ships from the Sea Kingdom - the Red Sail faction - have been seen landing supplies for the besiegers, no doubt for a neat price. It is also alleged that the Exiles are providing the Cyrians with supplies and information. Cyrian forces are trying to keep a supply line open through the ruins of Incendia, but only dare to send a trickle of supplies from there. Raiders from the Masada clan have been especially active in that area, and have become known for their brutality.

Both factions of the Sea Kingdom have harassed Nessian ships at times. So far, none of their ships have dared blockade the harbour itself. Trade ships have continued to venture out, and Justo fishermen have been able to keep some seafood coming in. But food reserves are already running short, and disease is spreading again. The city's sewers are in better shape but the aqueduct is unfinished, forcing people to drink from whatever unclean sources they can find.

The Ninticus and Watchmen now lead the defence of Nesse, together with the militia of ordinary citizens. They are outnumbered at least 5:1 at the walls.

The call has gone out to Uuta, for the Outlanders to rally and help lift the siege of Nesse however they can. The noble Challoans have been most active in rallying Outlander support. But it still isn't clear who will respond, or if they are willing to fight in open battle. The confusion involves the Drezden; although fortified in the deep forests, the Drezden find themselves wielding more influence - and it is said they are deliberately turning people against Nesse and openly dealing with the Exiles.

Most of the Elites are on manoeuvres with their chariots and elite warbands; if combined with the Outlanders, they would still face numerical odds of 2:1 against the besieging army.

Since the Senate called the bluff of Lucius Wolf and accepted his resignation as War Leader, the former recruits of Wolf Clan have been drifting into other camps, including the Cyrians. The current whereabouts of Lucius Wolf are unknown.

Events in the East:

The Golden Barbs have been on the defensive, recovering from recent battles with the Cyrians in the south. They are apparently allied to no-one, except their vassals the Falcons.

The Bear Clan held a 'Festival of Strength' and managed to gain some recruits from Golden Barbs, before setting out on a journey...

Events in the South:

Travelling with the last of the trade caravans to make it out of Nesse, the warriors of Clan Dicchus and Bear Clan have forged an alliance with the Ram Barbs. The original intention was to fight a war of skirmish and ambush in the Cyrian territory far to the south of Nesse. But as the Rams made a new pact with the roving Black Nyud army, the Bear and Dicchus soldiers have found themselves caught up in a barbarian horde that now lays siege to the Cyrian-occupied city of Lurpak. Other, richer Cyrian cities are nearby. Much pillage awaits, but Cyrian reinforcements are gathering; it is said the Barbs grow weary of sieges and want to return to the easier target of Agadas.

The Ram Barbs seem impressed by the fighting spirit of the Bear Clan.

A party of Tuxenius metalworkers and craftsmen finds itself trapped at Agadas for now. They had gone there to try to learn its metalworking techniques, but the locals were putting a steep a price on their expertise.

Kyannur, God-King of the Cyrians, has delayed joining the northern (Nesse) campaign in person, and now focuses on repelling the Barbs from the west.

Seafaring:

The Sea Kingdom factions have been threatening each other but are not officially at war yet.

The bold Delphino-Alya sailing expeditions have mostly gone missing. It is known that the Red Sail faction has captured some Nessian ships and taken some crew as slaves. The Red Sails of the Sea Kingdom claim the right to interfere with any ships straying into 'their' waters. They no longer accept Delphino apprentices from Nesse.

Other ships have probably got lost, or sunk. It is said that one Delphino ship did make it back from the island of the Elk Barbs, far to the east.

Sailors of the Delphino clan have been settling in Nabar, and providing passage for any (wealthy) Nessian citizens who wish to relocate there. The Delphino and Alya are trying to build relations with the Blue Sail faction, with some success, although the Blue Sails do not want Nessian trade ships stealing their business either.

Due to the situation, the Lucans have failed to gain any share in sea trade with Nabar. But the few Lucan ships that ventured to Nyud coast managed to return with profitable cargoes of amber jewellery and strong ales. By all accounts the Nyuds are still feuding with each other over who should be High King, and may soon split apart again.

Religion:

The great Horned Temple, the greatest building in the land, now stands proud at the centre of the old city. It was ceremoniously opened just a few days before the Cyrians arrived. The Ninticus gatekeepers have earned favour from the House of the Horned King by allowing its followers free access to the inner city on holy days. The masses flock to the temple to beg the Horned King to reap destruction upon the Cyrians.

The 'Sacred Way' still has very few followers in Nesse but, strangely, their ideas seem to be spreading amongst the Exiles.

Craftsmanship:

Some grand houses have been rebuilt in the inner city, but not by the Elites. Clan Tuxenius now has a new mansion decked out with Demetrii furnishings, and has also housed the Gelioner family there, all while managing to avoid attack by rioters. The Tuxenius now have greater prestige than most Elite houses, and have access to the Senate via the Gelioners, though at present there are very few opportunities to entertain foreign guests.

The siege has obviously cut the supply of Outlander goods. But thanks to existing stockpiles and a trickle of sea trade, business has been able to carry on for a while.

Masonry has become a big business in the city. Although the great walls and the Horned Temple are now complete, the Silvius find themselves busy in maintaining and reinforcing the defences.

The Aqueduct cannot be completed with an enemy army outside the city. As mentioned, the Fiddlers and Demetrii have turned their attentions to resisting the Cyrian siege..

Riots:

War, siege, lack of food and disease frighten the people. Riots and assorted disturbances have occurred all across the city. Elements of the city militia have actually joined the looting of several elite houses in search of food. Due to the needs of the Horned Temple, the Ninticus and Watchmen now have a problem controlling entrance to the inner city. There are also rumours of shadowy Exiles stirring up trouble, and it is said that Watchmen have caught several would-be infiltrators down in the city sewers.

The Elites have few strong men left in the city, as most are now on the other side of the Cyrian siege line. The prestige of the Elites has fallen ever further, many of their houses remained damaged from the recent earthquake. The Watchmen are generally held in higher regard by the people, but have no easy options when it comes to maintaining order in the city.

The Horned King's Temple Guard have increased in number...

It is known that the Masadans have bought claims to some run-down estates in the inner city.

Vice:

Antius Ninticus, brother of the Ninticus represenative in the Senate, has married Placida Tusecksii, a delightful young woman of dubious virtue. Thus it seems the Tusecksii have used their feminine charms to gain the keys to the city, something that many Nessians are fearful about.

The Ìademos 'Customs House' now embraces gambling and various entertainments, which involve the Tusecksii among others.

The Lucans have invested in a high-class brothel / rest house. Unfortunately this is not seeing much action as a result of the siege. But the Lucans have also emptied their coffers to hire their own band of mercenaries, including many former Wolf Clan soldiers. These have proved useful in keeping Lucan storehouse free of looters, at least for now.

Conditions allow a black market to thrive in Nesse. Some say it is controlled by the Lucans, while others blame the Exiles.

Ieada:

This town is swelled with refugees from the vicinity of Incendia and elsewhere, as well as a few outcasts from the Boar Barbs. Fortifications have been improved, and a local slave-quarry supplies quality stone, but the town would still not last long against a large army. The great citadel is still nothing more than half-built foundations.

There has been a modest crop of wine in the previous year. The priority is now food. Other crops and cattle are replacing vinyards. Although Ieada is not besieged exactly, the Cyrians prowl the nearest farmlands.

Some of the Masadan warriors were tasked with pursuing the Rouge Clan away from Ieada and out of Nessian territory altogether. The Rouge had no choice but to leave behind some elders and children to be enslaved by the Masadans. The rest of the Rouge were welcomed by the Nyud, but their status there is little better, as they are now expected to give regular tribute of food and furs and, if necessary, fight the enemies of the Nyud chiefs.

Incendia:

The destruction of this town has incurred losses for the Fire Clan and Masadans. The prestige of the Fire Clan has suffered from this especially. But the Fire Clan still has claim to the land if the Cyrians are ever expelled.

Outlanders:

Trade is thrown into confusion, outlanders can no longer sell their wares at Nesse. The town of Uuta is being forced to become more self-sufficient, and house Challoan has helped with this. An excess of sheep, cows, timber, hides, cut stone, wine and all kinds of crops is piling up. Debts cannot be paid, but the Askani moneylenders don't dare to force the issue at this time.

The new town of Riva is almost untouched by events, except for a trickle of refugees seeking a quieter life. The Challoans have a presence there, but the town still has no official 'Magistrate' and is still not officially part of Nessian territory. Though, Nabar and the Golden Barbs have also left it alone so far.

The Drezden lodges would have been a beacon for refugees if it weren't for the deadly traps littering the forests, which have probably killed as many wandering Nessians as Cyrians.

Exile island:

The leader of the Orange clan has declared the 'Princedom of Oran', which has been mostly ignored by Nesse. The Princedom offers sanctuary to both factions of the Sea Kingdom and this has been respected by them so far. Orange Clan has grand plans but for now Oran remains little more than a small fortified town.

Map: (version 2, the funny gold symbols represent larger armies. I know this is increasingly horrible and I am thinking about re-doing the whole thing.)

Spoiler :

Notes:

So yeah... Everything about this is kinda rushed, but I think that's the way it should've been from the start :confused:. I have nothing much to say for many things, just because I wanted to get this updated finally, even though there was so much potentially to write about. It may get better with the super awesome revised stats and rules on what you can do per turn (see 2nd post in thread).

Up to you guys if you want to continue! Many grateful thanks either way.

BTW The Dicchus dynasty / BananaLee will retain Moderator powers until the majority of Elites and Nessers specifically ask for a new Moderator. Else I'm just assuming that some member of Dicchus is always going to be re-elected.

PM's will be sent eventually, feel free to bug me in the meantime!

I need moar sleep.

I'm continuing. I think it's slowed mostly because this is a busy time for everybody. Good update!

That was a prime show of assassinationss actually making matters worse...

Perhaps not. Nesse might have fallen by now if the more aggressive commander wasn't killed.

Shame on unnamed elite houses for sending their warbands off on adventures when the City Itself is under threat. :p

When we are using skirmish tactics? Nope.

We want to fight against a general believing in Total War so that we can sap his troops of will faster. That doesn't work as well if the general is paranoid.

The Drezden will tentatively send a contingent of axmen, led by one of our veterans, to Nesse. They will aid in direct defense of the city, and will be working in collusion with the watchmen.

Still here.

Lucius Wolf is residing in his villa within the city walls, angry at the fact that the new commander resorted to hit and run tactics and allowed Nesse to be besieged, he is also angry that his veterans abandoned Nesse at her time of need. Their families have been arrested and thrown into prison for such traitorous actions.

I have never told my veterans to leave the army, and I never told them to join the Cyrian army, I would never betray Nesse, even if they did treat me badly.

At the moment, what is left of Lucius' bodyguards and veterans will lend a hand in the defense of the city. It is too late to fight them on open ground, so we will have to fight them street to street. I hold no grudge against the Senate for ignoring my request for defenses and not allowing me to make the first move. I hope the Senate understands my reasons for resigning from the army.

The Drezden will tentatively send a contingent of axmen, led by one of our veterans, to Nesse. They will aid in direct defense of the city, and will be working in collusion with the watchmen.

OOC: The city is besieged; your troops can't exactly get through.

This is pretty exciting except I didn't expect armies to move so quickly... GO DAFT :D

I'm on a roll tonight! :p
In that case, we'll just stay in the woods and practice isolationism a little bit more.

Moon Shadow clan will continue working towards restoring our members reputations and name.

yay update.

I guess it's time to change playstyle a little. Now that a new partriarch is chosen too...

Good update. Exciting! I hope that I can assist in breaking the Nesse siege.

To all Outlanders
From House Challoan

[via speeches made by various members of the House]

Noble Outlanders, a great darkness has descended upon our lands. The great slavers, the Cyrians, have entered these plains and intend to dominate all life here. We warn Outlanders: perhaps you are not pleased with the Senate, and perhaps you are not pleased with the government of Nesse. But do we truly want the Cyrians to win? No! If Nesse falls to the Cyrians, the Outlanders will have to peddle to the whims of the Cyrian swine. We are economically interconnected with Nesse. The Nessers buy Outlander goods, and the Outlanders receive goods that only the Nessers can provide. If Nesse falls, we are subject to the Cyrians. Is that what we want? No!

Outlanders, I call upon you to rally your arms. Raise militias, and create hell for the Cyrians. Don't let one bag of food, one quiver of arrows, one catapult stone, reach the Cyrian scum. We all must pull together and become the land; arise from nowhere and consume the Cyrian supplies, and fade back into the land again. If we do our part, we can ensure that the Outlanders won't be enslaved by the Cyrians. We ask for the assistance and leadership of the great Outlander clans, the Hippus veterans, the Drezden axemen, and especially the Bear raiders.

But we must face the reality of the moment: right now, we are economically cut off from Nesse. So we call upon the Outlanders to prepare to manage themselves. If we learn to survive without Nesse for the time being, we can resist the Cyrians. Then, when we are rejoined with our brothers in Nesse, we can continue to prosper.

And we must fortify our settlements. The Cyrians will turn upon the Outlanders, in time. So we must arm ourselves and prepare to defend.

Outlanders, we can pull together. We can destroy the Cyrian specter that haunts our lands. We will survive, and we will thrive against these barbarians. We will be free!

I think reinforcements can still enter the city, the Harbor is still functioning, the Sea Kingdom did not blockade it. But there lies the threat of the ship being intercepted by the Sea Kingdom's navy. On that note I do not think we will be starving to death any time soon. Unless I am wrong about the Harbor.

To all Outlanders
From Clan Masada

I don't know about you gentleman but I don't find the patriotic paean or calls for economic 'interdependency' subjugation all that attractive. Remember that we had nothing to do with bringing down the Cyrians on Nesse. It is not our war. Nor, should we believe for a moment that the honorable Challoan are being entirely honest with us, we do not know what the Cyrians intend to do to us and I do not know we should listen to speculation nor admit it in our council. All that the Challoan expect is our mute replies of: 'Yes, Lords' and Clan Masada sees not compelling reason to give it!

All the evils of Nesse are furrowed into our brows, land stolen, laws imposed, force applied, tribute exacted and freedom reduced. What gentleman do all these events have in common? A lack of wise Outlander Council! That is the key issue of the day.

To all Outlanders
From House Challoan

We believe it may be appropriate at this juncture to remind House Challoan of some things (1) it cannot use we in the context of the Outlands, it is not an Outlander clan; (2) Clan Masada has already far exceeded the military activities of the vast majority of the Elites with the honorable exception of our brothers in blood the Fire Clan; and (3) Clan Masada heartily agrees with the notion that the Outlanders should manage themselves quite independent of your council and call.

To Drezden
From Clan Masada

It is Clan Masada's humble opinion that we should forbear making any further decisions until the matter has been properly discussed amongst Outlander Clans. Little is to be achieved if one clan rushes forward, at the cost of consensus. That you would bring down the hammer on all our heads without first consulting your brethren shows a certain cavalier attitude. Your lands might not be threatened but certain others are most assuredly so!

Top Bottom