SCENARIO: American Civil War - C3C only

Misfit_travel

Emperor
V4.7 has been released, new artwork and new biq files will need to be downloaded. Please note that these are two separate downloads.

Also note that v4.7 has both single and multiplayer modes, but there are considerable differences between them, please read below for details.

New strategy guides are here http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=1610575&postcount=963 (historical version) and here http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=1610576&postcount=964 (plain english version)

SCENARIO: American Civil War Conquest only version

BACKGROUND

It is the summer of 1861. The Union and the Confederacy have their forces lined up on their respective borders. Take command of the Union, and try to subjugate the Confederacy back into the Union. Take command of the Confederacy, and try to conquer the Union to force them to accede to your independence. The Native American tribes though, are hostile to both sides and will seek to drive both belligerents away from their native lands...

FEATURES

V4.7 of ACWC3C contains the following new features all incorporated with user feedback to improve gameplay:

- reduced map size (relative to earlier versions), no more far west cities, limited indian settlements
- removed disease effects
- tech costs reduced by 10% for faster tech research
- new artwork for Union Volunteer / Rifleman divisions, Confederate Rifleman divisions
- 2 new wonder (Struggle for Leadership - Union only, Foreign Munitions - CSA only)
- new units (blockcade runner, Indian scout & warrior (CSA), picket ship (Union))
- Union gains true "rail" movement between Boston - Providence - Hartford - New London - New Haven - New York - Poughkeepsie - Albany - Northern New Jersey - Philadelphia - Reading - Harrisburg (they are flagged as rail tiles with houses on them)
- map changes to create Fort Monroe as a city
- adjusted location of Fort Pickens
- autobuilding unit wonders for AI side to enhance gameplay

relevant extra features added in earlier versions:

- enabled Victory Point victory condition (forces Union player to attack else CSA wins by default)
- new terrain (Rhye's) with rail tiles for better overall look and feel to the scenario
- reduced combat capability of the Corps unit (restricting movement, limiting size)
- dramatically increased # of cities required to support a Corps unit (creating a game maximum of 5-6 units)
- enhanced combat capability of skirmisher unit (stealth attack against some infantry and all field artillery units)
- enhanced combat capability of Union cavalry
- new unit artwork for artillery, river gunboats, Jefferson Davis
- tweaked game settings for more realistic (Civil War area combat) feel
- totally revampled naval movement system (now possible to realistically invade any CSA area)
- reduced duration of Southern Valor wonder effect
- enhanced CSA city coastal defenses
- relocated CSA Sloop Yard from New Orleans to Norfolk
- skirmisher units have stealth attack against mobile artillery and mobile infantry units (but not fixed defense units) (walls act as stealth attack barrier)
- cavalry units have stealth attack against scouts, inflitrators and horse artillery
- all naval units have lethal sea bombardment

- fixed Union Marine unit bug.

GAME FILES

ACWC3C v4.7 ART Files (43mb). NOTE: This is the scenario files which must be extracted and placed in the CivilizationIII/Conquests/Scenarios folder.

V4.02 scenario files removed after 1017 downloads.
V4.5 multiplayer scenario files removed after 726 downloads.

The gameplay BIQ files are located as an attachment at the bottom of this post. There are four files;

ACWC3C v4.7 multiplayer (multiplayer version)
ACWC3C v4.7 USA (single player Union side only)
ACWC3C v4.7 CSA (single player CSA side only)
ACWC3C v4.7 CSA Ft Monroe (single player CSA side with map change to enable AI attacks through Fort Monroe)

Please note that the multiplayer game has an additional map change near New Orleans to enable multiple invasion points.

The multiplayer game also introduces the concept of treasure (in the form of munitions) in a safe foreign harbour. The CSA must use their blockcade runners to "capture" the munitions, and run the Union blockcade to harbour containing a Victory Point center. Successfully doing so will net the CSA 750 gold. For more information about enhancements to the multiplayer version, please see this post. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=2450188&postcount=1372

Please also see the next post for an Index to helpful scenario information for players and modders.

NOTE to CIVIII Conquests French Edition players: Absolute_sad has prepared a version that plays on the French edition of Conquests. You can get the patch (and instructions) here This is for v4.02 of the scenario.

Attachments

• ACWC3C v4.7 scenario biq.zip
    240.1 KB · Views: 5,441
Last edited by a moderator:
CREDITS

ACW C3C V4.7 Development Manager: Misfit_Travel
ACW C3C Development Team: Misfit_Travel, The Last Conformist, Dreadknought, Klyden, Eric_A
ACW C3C v3.9 Creator: Rocoteh

ACW Scenario Creator: Procifica
ACW Scenario Producer: Procifica
ACW Co-Creator: Rocoteh
ACW2 Creator: Procifica
ACW2 Producer: Procifica
ACW2 Development Team: Procifica, Rocoteh, Misfit_Travel, The Last Conformist
Scenario Testing Team: Misfit_Travel, The Last Conformist, Dreadknought, Klyden, Eric_A
Contributions by:jattut, whizkid1950, Nolodan
Special Thanks to: pdescobar
Other Acknowledgements: read Credits.txt, included with downloaded file.

Artwork credits: Steph, Smoking_mirror, Kryten, Kinboat, Aaglo, R8XFT, Rhye, Pounder (if I missed anyone, please let me know).

This scenario was originally based off of the main ACW thread which if you would like to follow it is located here.

V4.7 of this scenario (which this thread will support) would not have been possible without the extensive work done by both Procifica and Rocoteh. This version is the result of a collaborative team effort of many people building upon the previous super ACW and ACWC3C v3.9 scenarios.

Procifica also has another American Civil War project (larger map version) in development. It is entitled American Civil War II (ACW2) and is a complete revision of the ACW scenario. It is located here That thread is pretty old, but we all hope Procifica will return some day.....

INDEX FOR GAME INFORMATION

Installation Instructions

A brief history of ACWC3C

Opening Screen

Choosing a side to play

Technology Tree

Order of Battle - Union, CSA, Native units

Scenario versions - Human vs. AI play

Scenario versions - Multiplayer

City Improvements

Wonders

Map screen shots - Far West, Missouri, Kentucky, Virginia

Sample Civilopedia Entries

Disease effects in ACWC3C

Combat sample screenshots

Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q.)

Strategy Guides - Historical Context

Strategy Guide - Plain English

Notes for Modders - coming soon

Screenshots:

(NB: Some of these are from earlier versions of the scen; some units graphics differ in the current one.)

1692693151886.png

1692693260319.png

1692693269807.png

1692693282928.png

1692693292449.png

1692693303091.png

1692693312040.png

1692693324257.png

1692693335556.png

Last edited by a moderator:
ON POP-RUSH ACWC3C,

Pop-rush or forced labor will create strange results.

It functions like a de facto draft creating an unhistorical
situation,giving CSA great number of units in the initial
phase of the war.

In the long run it decimate the population of CSA cities
in a extreme way. I think we should drop the concept
for ACW4.0C3C.

Rocoteh

Edit:

Misfit_travel,

Do you think you can put up a counter for version 3.91?

Regards

Rocoteh

My experience is that the CSA AI does not destroy its demographic base by pop-rushing (or drafting), except as an desperate measure to halt an invasion of a given area.

Nonetheless, switching to Paid Labour would no doubt help the South, and, despite, Procifica's explanations, do not really see how the South having pop-rush simulates any historical difference between the two sides. So I'm rather for getting rid of it too.

Tangentially, while Procifica's idea to give CSA infantry extra HP is worth considering (altho I'm unconfortable with the implication that CSA Divs would start with 20(!) HP), I think we're messing quite enough with the units system as is, and suggest we let it wait for possible inclusion in some post-4.0 version.

If CSA brigades are given 5 HP, their divisions would be given 15 HP (Union Divisions 12 HP). Actually thinking Union Divisions might be better at 10 HP (2 1/2 brigades or so). I'm starting to lean toward the 2 and 3 concept (2 1/2 for Union).

Though I've gotten to thinking, and your typical Confederate Brigade wasn't much larger than a Union Brigade, it was the Divisions which were different in size (typical Union Division 2 to 3 brigades, typical CSA Division 4 to 6 brigades).

So if CSA brigades stayed at 4 (leaning back this way now lol), then CSA Divisions should be at least 16 HP. Union Divisions would be about 10 HP. Then the Confederate Corps would hold 3 Divisions, and the Union Corps also could hold 3 Divisions. This would keep in tune with the Confederate Corps being much larger (if 1 HP=500 men, then 48 HP=24,000 men, while the Union would be 30 HP=15,000 men).

I'm beginning to think though each Brigade should represent 1,600 men instead of 2,000. This would bring a Union Division down to 4,000 men (more accurate), and a CSA Division down to 6,400 men (also more accurate). This would make the respective Corps about 12,000 for the Union, and 19,200 for the Confederacy (also more accurate numbers).

At Gettysburg for example, each CSA Corps (3) was roughly 20,000 in strength. Each Union Corps (7) was roughly 13,000 in strength. Though by mid-1864, Union Corps were comparable to Confederate Corps in size, by using 4 divisions instead of 3. However, I think making a universal "Corps" unit which can hold 3 divisions probably will work best.

Ok, in conclusion, I think the CSA brigades should remain at 4 HP. USA Division should be 10 HP, CSA Division should be 16 HP. Each Corps hold 3 Divisions.

I think Procifica is right.

I second his solution.

BTW: I repeat my question concerning the new 1 000 shields
limit. Have anyone seen comments on this?
The new limit do create problems for scenario-creators.

Rocoteh

Let me see if I have this straight....

Gov't types:

Both Union and CSA move to paid labour. Union has less draft options than CSA and longer period of unrest from draft.

Brigade HPs

CSA brigades get +4 HP (Union get 0). CSA divisions get +16 HP. Union divisions get +10 HP.

Corps Size

Both CSA and Union have Corps (ARMY UNIT) with a transport capacity of 3 foot units.

Drafting

Militia are the draftable unit up until Conscription. Draftee units from that point on.

City Size

Aqueduct restricted in non-start cities of pop under 4 until City Improvements tech. Hospital restricted in non-start cities of pop 8 (with certain allowance for some CSA cities) until Improved Engineering tech.

Note: I'd rather let existing game start mid level cities grow than have a batch of the little towns become metropolises. You are going to need a certain number of production center cities to get any of the big units built. Feel free to debate the exact numbers).

Pop cost for units

Please see my proposal cross posted in ACW thread here

Does that seem agreeable?

Misfit

Originally posted by Misfit_travel
Let me see if I have this straight....

Gov't types:

Both Union and CSA move to paid labour. Union has less draft options than CSA and longer period of unrest from draft.

Brigade HPs

CSA brigades get +4 HP (Union get 0). CSA divisions get +16 HP. Union divisions get +10 HP.

Corps Size

Both CSA and Union have Corps (ARMY UNIT) with a transport capacity of 3 foot units.

Drafting

Militia are the draftable unit up until Conscription. Draftee units from that point on.

City Size

Aqueduct restricted in non-start cities of pop under 4 until City Improvements tech. Hospital restricted in non-start cities of pop 8 (with certain allowance for some CSA cities) until Improved Engineering tech.

Note: I'd rather let existing game start mid level cities grow than have a batch of the little towns become metropolises. You are going to need a certain number of production center cities to get any of the big units built. Feel free to debate the exact numbers).

Pop cost for units

Please see my proposal cross posted in ACW thread here

Does that seem agreeable?

Misfit

Those sound good to me...but I would make one point.

If we do the switch to paid govt. the shield costs will have to be studied because it will be much harder to build divisions-artillery and this may efffect the south more(less big cities -less money). I also think the draftees (if not auto-built) -militia-volunteers- should be adjusted down a bit.

This seems to work fine on the structures its mainly a unit diff.

I still advocate having great wonders (ex. washington draft----boston draft---) building draftess at a set rate for different cities and leaving the cities to focus on other units. Its possible at some point there could be a upgrade path for draftees but I wouldnt wont them all to become sharpshooters-riflemen that sort of thing. That way the north could produce more all the time.

I did this switch in test games with the south and had to make some unit shield cost adjustments but it worked better in the end and was more stable.

Originally posted by Rocoteh
I think Procifica is right.

I second his solution.

BTW: I repeat my question concerning the new 1 000 shields
limit. Have anyone seen comments on this?
The new limit do create problems for scenario-creators.

Rocoteh

Yes , I noticed this also and it is my hope that the cost structure will fit under 1000 if the pop-rushing govt. is gone. It seems like shields can come down a bit under paid govts though a balance between the sides will have to be studied. I favor different conquests govt to help the ai which would mean 3 versions...............south vs. ai ......north vs....ai.......human vs. human.........all playing difficult . but I know that time constraints may tend to make that hard to do.

This seems like the spot to re-submit my idea to see disease effect all land types in the conquest version to simulate the drain of population due to poor sanitation-bad medical practice-disease.
I know this only effects city population but that in turn lowers total shield count and slows total troop-build functions.

I think all land types should have a 5 percent chance of disease however some have suggested swamps-marsh br even higher than that.

+4 HP on CSA brigades?!? Please tell me that's a tpyo.

I read Procifica as saying totals of 16 or 10 HP for Divisons, ie bonuses of +12 and +6. Bonuses of +16 and +10 would mean markedly bigger Divisions than at present for both sides (current bonuses being +12 and +8).

If we do-facto have Draftees as successor to Militia, and militia units were used only in the early stages of the war, let's go the full way and have Militia become obsolete with Conscription, and have them upgrade to Draftees.

Originally posted by dreadknought

Those sound good to me...but I would make one point.

If we do the switch to paid govt. the shield costs will have to be studied because it will be much harder to build divisions-artillery and this may efffect the south more(less big cities -less money). I also think the draftees (if not auto-built) -militia-volunteers- should be adjusted down a bit.

This seems to work fine on the structures its mainly a unit diff.

I still advocate having great wonders (ex. washington draft----boston draft---) building draftess at a set rate for different cities and leaving the cities to focus on other units. Its possible at some point there could be a upgrade path for draftees but I wouldnt wont them all to become sharpshooters-riflemen that sort of thing. That way the north could produce more all the time.

I did this switch in test games with the south and had to make some unit shield cost adjustments but it worked better in the end and was more stable.

I agree unit costs will need to be adjusted. I'm more concerned with getting the right mix of units sorted out, the gov't types agreed on then balancing the costs between them. If we do it in that order we minimize the amount of rework tinkering involved.

I like the idea of a small wonder that autoproduces certain unit types (like militia, draftee or certain naval units). I think they would add build alternatives to either side, but I don't think they should be game start wonders. It also creates a use for Military Great Leader to finish build production. You may consider using a MGL for a wonder that produces additional troops on a regular basis. I think the producing naval unit wonders have to stay for now, since it appears the only way to get naval builds out of the AI.

How about two new small wonders: Militia Center and Drafting Office. A Militia Center is available at game start and will produce a Militia unit every 8 turns. A Drafting Office is available with Conscription and will produce a Draftee unit every 6 turns. If we add these two, then I would move the Southern Valour small Wonder back into Long-Term Volunteers or Combined Arms.

BTW keep in mind that drafted Milita and Draftee units have reduced HPs, so they start off pretty wimpy (in the case of Milita they are at 2HPs, Draftees at 3HPs). From using them in playtesting, I can tell you they don't scare any combat unit (other than home guards).

Regards,
Misfit

Originally posted by The Last Conformist
+4 HP on CSA brigades?!? Please tell me that's a tpyo.

I read Procifica as saying totals of 16 or 10 HP for Divisons, ie bonuses of +12 and +6. Bonuses of +16 and +10 would mean markedly bigger Divisions than at present for both sides (current bonuses being +12 and +8).

If we do-facto have Draftees as successor to Militia, and militia units were used only in the early stages of the war, let's go the full way and have Militia become obsolete with Conscription, and have them upgrade to Draftees.

I copied it down as I read it from Procifica's post. That's why I made the summary. That one (+4 HP on CSA brigade) sounds pretty high to me.

I'm not sure about the migration path of militia to to draftees if one because of the cost factor. Militia still make pretty decent garrison units against raiders even late into the game. Making them obselete means that the AI / player will have a choice of near useless home guard, immobile garrison or draftee. The cost gap between those units is quite large (even if we revise the shield cost list).

Regards
Misfit

Originally posted by Misfit_travel

I agree unit costs will need to be adjusted. I'm more concerned with getting the right mix of units sorted out, the gov't types agreed on then balancing the costs between them. If we do it in that order we minimize the amount of rework tinkering involved.

I like the idea of a small wonder that autoproduces certain unit types (like militia, draftee or certain naval units). I think they would add build alternatives to either side, but I don't think they should be game start wonders. It also creates a use for Military Great Leader to finish build production. You may consider using a MGL for a wonder that produces additional troops on a regular basis. I think the producing naval unit wonders have to stay for now, since it appears the only way to get naval builds out of the AI.

How about two new small wonders: Militia Center and Drafting Office. A Militia Center is available at game start and will produce a Militia unit every 8 turns. A Drafting Office is available with Conscription and will produce a Draftee unit every 6 turns. If we add these two, then I would move the Southern Valour small Wonder back into Long-Term Volunteers or Combined Arms.

BTW keep in mind that drafted Milita and Draftee units have reduced HPs, so they start off pretty wimpy (in the case of Milita they are at 2HPs, Draftees at 3HPs). From using them in playtesting, I can tell you they don't scare any combat unit (other than home guards).

Regards,
Misfit

I like the sound of the new structure as it will keep a better mix of less trained units. We have to be carefull with small wonders though because if you take a city and destroy the small wonder then it can be rebuilt plus both sides can build one and this can cause a problem esp. if the other side wasnt suppose to be able to build it. Example , we dont wont the north to be able to build a small wonder producing southern draftees. That the main reason I normally tie this things to great wonders because if they exist at the start of the game they can never be built again and its less confusing.

I did have a situation where one time in Washington where one great wonder I called Washington Command Barracks that produced a union division kept doing this for the south once taken over but normally these structure cease once taken over. I just starting renaming the division confederate divisions as they were built but it was kinda weird.

Top Bottom