Balloon units and techs

I have balloon units that cover from the late Napolionic to WWII eras. What I don't have is techs and buildings to go with them!

Units:
  • Early Balloon - recon unit similar to helicopter in movement
  • Later War Balloon - bomber/helicopter style
  • barrage balloons - defense against early fighters and bombers

Then of course there are some extra zeplins (I think).

I was thinking of using the industralism tech as the one that allows scout balloons with war balloons requiring both industralism and grand war. barrage balloons would require hydrogen or helium and thermodynamics perhaps.

Note: Yes this file is compatible with my extras and other experimental work. Experimental work will be merged into the appropriate place in the SVN when we have finished experimenting. All comments welcome, well constructive ones anyway:).

Using the tech tree, how about like this ...

Hot Air Ballooning
Tech Req: Thermodynamics AND Meteorology
Cost: Same as Thermodynamics
Units Enabled: Early Balloon

Flight
Tech Req: Screw Propeller AND Combustion AND Hot Air Ballooning
Units Enabled: War Balloon, Barrage Balloons

Zeppelins
Tech Req: Flight AND Automatic Weapons
Cost: Same as Flight
Units Enabled: Airship (Moving it back to its own tech)

Zeppelins are currently in the game as units. I don't have any more, I thought I did :(. Uploading file now.

I am not convinced of the need for meteorology as a prerequisite for Hot Air Ballooning.

Using the tech tree, how about like this ...

Hot Air Ballooning
Tech Req: Thermodynamics AND Meteorology

Flight
Tech Req: Screw Propeller AND Combustion AND Hot Air Ballooning
Units Enabled: War Balloon, Barrage Balloons

Zeppelins
Tech Req: Flight AND Automatic Weapons
Units Enabled: Airship (Moving it back to its own tech)

The main problem is that this is to late historically. Also this maintains the problem with zeppelins which should come just before early fighters not at the same time.

I suggest:-

Steam Engine
Units Enabled: Early Balloon (limit of 2?)

Hot Air Ballooning
Tech Req: Thermodynamics
Units Enabled: War Balloon

Zeppelins
Tech Req: Flight and Hot Air Ballooning
Units Enabled: Airship (Moving it back to its own tech)[/QUOTE]

Building: Hydrogen generator
Free Good (Hydrogen)
Tech Req: Thermodynamics?
required to build Barrage Balloon, Blimp(if I can get the graphics working) and Airship

1. Do you mean "Steam Power" or a new tech called "Steam Engine"?

2. Early Balloon and War Balloon look about right in placement.

3. I think Location: X64 Y1 is fine for Zeppelins. Puts it right between Flight and Aviation.

4. Hydrogen Generator may need a different name but I like the concept of airships requiring Good (Hydrogen).

Over all i like your changes. Nice job! :goodjob:

On the Hot Air Ballooning, isn't there a tech for the ANDpreq, something before Thermodynamics so it can tie in with something?

I suggested Meteorology. I am not sure why DH doesn't like that. Seems to make sense to know weather related stuff if you were going to be floating. Its also like really close on the tree to Thermodynamics too.

I suggested Meteorology. I am not sure why DH doesn't like that. Seems to make sense to know weather related stuff if you were going to be floating. Its also like really close on the tree to Thermodynamics too.

Both are too late. Think Jules Verne "Around the World in 80 Days" movie not book, I don't remember a balloon in the book. ;) Although have not looked at that part of the tech tree recently, so perhaps I should.

You can see the entire tech tree here if you don't want to boot up the game.

As for where Meteorology is, its right at the end of the Renaissance Era (post Scientific Method) and Thermodynamics is right at the beginning of the Industrial Era. "Around the World in Eighty Days " was published in 1873. The first manned air balloon flight was in 1783. Thus around 100 years earlier.

If we are going on military history the Civil War was April 12, 1861 to April 9, 1865 which we can represent as say Cavalry Tactics tech (Riffles and still Mounted Horses). On the tree its mid-Renaissance Era. Which is more or less right between the first manned air balloon flight and Around the World in Eighty Days. So the question is do you want Air Balloons with the civil war? Because apparently there was.

So basically if we are going back to the first balloons then it would be right after the American Revolution (1775–1783) and that would more or less place our tech level at say Matchlock for the Musketmen. On the tree that makes it early Renaissance Era.

Another landmark tech is Photography (1822) to the right. So i would place the first balloon maybe at X44. How about this then ...

Hot Air Balloon [Early Renaissance Era]
Tech Req: Physics AND Weather Forecasting
Cost: Same as Weather Forecasting

War Ballooning [Early Industrial Era]
Tech Req: Thermodynamics AND Hot Air Balloon

Flight [Mid Industrial Era]
Tech Req: Screw Propeller AND Combustion AND War Ballooning
Units Enabled: Barrage Balloons

Zeppelins [Mid Industrial Era]
Tech Req: Flight and War Ballooning
Units Enabled: Airship

Better?

You can see the entire tech tree here if you don't want to boot up the game.

As for where Meteorology is, its right at the end of the Renaissance Era (post Scientific Method) and Thermodynamics is right at the beginning of the Industrial Era. "Around the World in Eighty Days " was published in 1873. The first manned air balloon flight was in 1783. Thus around 100 years earlier.

If we are going on military history the Civil War was April 12, 1861 to April 9, 1865 which we can represent as say Cavalry Tactics tech (Riffles and still Mounted Horses). On the tree its mid-Renaissance Era. Which is more or less right between the first manned air balloon flight and Around the World in Eighty Days. So the question is do you want Air Balloons with the civil war? Because apparently there was.

So basically if we are going back to the first balloons then it would be right after the American Revolution (1775–1783) and that would more or less place our tech level at say Matchlock for the Musketmen. On the tree that makes it early Renaissance Era.

Another landmark tech is Photography (1822) to the right. So i would place the first balloon maybe at X44. How about this then ...

Hot Air Balloon [Early Renaissance Era]

War Ballooning [Early Industrial Era]

Flight [Mid Industrial Era]
Units Enabled: Barrage Balloons

Zeppelins [Mid Industrial Era]
Units Enabled: Airship

Better?

Actually the Civil War was around 1625-50 and naturally my family was on both sides. I was sure Weather Forecasting was around WWI:confused: which is why I was objecting to it. Otherwise OK.

Actually the Civil War was around 1625-50 and naturally my family was on both sides. I was sure Weather Forecasting was around WWI:confused: which is why I was objecting to it. Otherwise OK.

Unless your talking about some Australian Civil War (or game Civil War) that I am not aware of the American Civil War (Union vs Confederates) was 1861–1865.

In 1625 is around the time of the Mayflower (1620). This is Pilgrims and stuff in America. Its still a British Colony back then. Heck they were still discovering Australia back then.

Anywho it was "Meteorology" you had a problem with not "Weather Forecasting". There are like 5 or 6 different weather techs spread across the tech tree.

Unless your talking about some Australian Civil War (or game Civil War) that I am not aware of the American Civil War (Union vs Confederates) was 1861–1865.

In 1625 is around the time of the Mayflower (1620). This is Pilgrims and stuff in America. Its still a British Colony back then. Heck they were still discovering Australia back then.

Anywho it was "Meteorology" you had a problem with not "Weather Forecasting". There are like 5 or 6 different weather techs spread across the tech tree.

You did not say American Civil War you just said Civil War which means English Civil War to me. :) Australia hasn't had a "Civil War", can't remember the name they used for war against the indiginious peoples.

You did not say American Civil War you just said Civil War which means English Civil War to me. :) Australia hasn't had a "Civil War", can't remember the name they used for war against the indiginious peoples.

But I did provide a civil war hyperlink to the hot air balloon.

Secondly it seems like Europe has always been at war. Its hard to keep track. lol :king: :queen:

3rd the whole Mounted Calvary with Riffles should have given a way which Civil War I ment.

I need buttons. I tried to modify and use those from here but as usual I ended up with pink buttons.

Just now I read the article on the Japanese use of unmanned balloon bombers against the west coast of North America in WWII. Very unsuccessful but an interesting alternative to V1 & V2 rockets.

Unit buttons right? Because i can make the tech buttons too. Just to confirm thing the buttons you need are ...

Units [For you]
- Early Balloon
- War Balloon
- Barrage Balloons
- Blimp

Techs [For Strategyonly]
- Hot Air Balloon
- War Ballooning
- Zeppelins

Yes Japan did. Also did you know the USA tried to use "Bat Bombs" against the Japanese in WWII but the atomic bomb was made so it was never used in battle?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_bomb

Might be cool to have something like this as an alternate history unit.

@Dancing Hoskuld
Here you go. I put in some extras for you. Included are ...

- Early Balloon
- War Balloon
- Barrage Balloon
- Blimp
- Fire Balloon (The Japanese one)
- Steampunk Airship (In case we ever get one)

@strategyonly
Here are the Balloon related tech icons.

- Hot Air Balloon
- War Ballooning
- Zeppelins

@Dancing Hoskuld
Here you go. I put in some extras for you. Included are ...

- Early Balloon
- War Balloon
- Barrage Balloon
- Blimp
- Fire Balloon (The Japanese one)
- Steampunk Airship (In case we ever get one)

@strategyonly
Here are the Balloon related tech icons.

- Hot Air Balloon
- War Ballooning
- Zeppelins

Thanks. I will post an update with these icons and the text files soonish.

I have the techs in the modular format at the moment so StrategyOnly does not need to do anything. When it goes out of experiment the files can all be merged together.

Thanks. I will post an update with these icons and the text files soonish.

I have the techs in the modular format at the moment so StrategyOnly does not need to do anything. When it goes out of experiment the files can all be merged together.

No offense I would rather have them in the core files.

Here was the PM I sent strategyonly yesterday.

Hydromancerx said:
Hydromancerx said:
Hydromancerx said:
Please add the following new techs ...

Hot Air Balloon

War Ballooning

Zeppelins

Please change ...

Flight

Please move ....

- Airship (Unit) to Zeppelins tech.

You can find the new tech buttons here ...

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10782578&postcount=17

Many, many thanks in advance! :goodjob:

Hydro ~

You know what change the name of "War Ballooning" to "Balloon Warfare". It sounds a little better.

Thanks! :cool:

Sorry for a 3rd PM but make sure you use the latest tech and unit files from the SVN. I just edited them today and I don't want to have to re-fix them again.

Thanks!

Top Bottom