Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION IV > Civ4 - Democracy and Team Games > Civ4 -ISDG 2012

Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:21 AM   #61
2metraninja
Defender of Nabaxica

But why? If the teams consist of players of different sites, the local patriotism and chauvinism and the comradeship between the players in each team playing together for years can act like a glue to keep the teams united.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:13 AM   #62
Sommerswerd
Sword of the Sun

BTW I am planning to host a Diplogame, on a custom edited Earth Map. It will probably be at Apolyton, because you can have anonymous IDs over there, which you need for this kind of game. If you have never played a Diplogame I highly recommend, especially if you would be a turnplayer or Diplomat in an MTDG. Map is almost ready, and I'm working on the ruleset. I would like to make the Map available pre-game to put everyone on a level playing field.

As for this game, I still think starting with turnplayers and building the team as you go us the best way forward.
"I WIN!... I always win... Is there no one on this planet to even challenge me?!?" - General Zod
Sommerswerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:15 PM   #63
cav scout
The Continuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2metraninja View Post
But why? If the teams consist of players of different sites, the local patriotism and chauvinism and the comradeship between the players in each team playing together for years can act like a glue to keep the teams united.
CDZ players quickly lost interest and the team only hung in there because they had a very dedicated turn player.
cav scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:40 PM   #64
damnrunner
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommerswerd View Post
BTW I am planning to host a Diplogame, on a custom edited Earth Map. It will probably be at Apolyton, because you can have anonymous IDs over there, which you need for this kind of game. If you have never played a Diplogame I highly recommend, especially if you would be a turnplayer or Diplomat in an MTDG. Map is almost ready, and I'm working on the ruleset. I would like to make the Map available pre-game to put everyone on a level playing field.

As for this game, I still think starting with turnplayers and building the team as you go us the best way forward.
Certainly interested now that I actually have BTS
damnrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:44 PM   #65
Sommerswerd
Sword of the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnrunner View Post
Certainly interested now that I actually have BTS
In which? The Diplogame I'm planning to run over at Apolyton, or the BTS MTDG III, or both?
"I WIN!... I always win... Is there no one on this planet to even challenge me?!?" - General Zod
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:07 AM   #66
cav scout
The Continuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommerswerd View Post
Agreed.

We first need to find someone willing to host though. Without a host (and also admins/mapmakers) we are dead in the water.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 03:57 PM   #67
Sommerswerd
Sword of the Sun

Here is the Setup page for the new game I mentioned before at Apolyton:

Quote:
New Pitboss game in the Works! 18 Players, Earth Map, Diplo style.. Ready to start player sign-ups
Click the link to get to the page.

http://apolyton.net/showthread.php/1...e-Setup-Thread
Old Mar 15, 2012, 05:29 PM   #68
Krill
Deity

Are you guys setting up a new demogame or not?
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:55 PM   #69
2metraninja
Defender of Nabaxica

We are for sure. Are you guys in RB ready to form a team?
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:08 PM   #70
Krill
Deity

Probably.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:00 AM   #71
nabaxo
King

Any interest alive in this, at all?
nabaxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:11 AM   #72
Sommerswerd
Sword of the Sun

I would like to repeat my suggestion that we go with two teams for this one. Here is my case

1. We have enough interested players to form two teams right now. We can start the game and recruit more players as we go. We just don't have enough interested players to form 6 or even 4 teams, let alone find 6 turnplayers

2. With two teams we can play sequential turns, so there won't be anymore doublemove controversies.

3. With two teams there will never be a mismatch where one team gets ganged up on by the others.

4. With tech trading off there is no possibility of tech alliances, so there is less of a need for inter-team diplo anyway.

5. With 2 teams we minimize the risk of running out of turnplayers, and maximize the amount of interested involved players on each team having discussion.

6. We all know that it is inevitable that the game will end up with two unbreakable alliances anyway, with 2 groups of two or more teams acting effectively as one team, so we might as well just start off with everyone on one side or the other.

With two teams, we could have one team that is a Merlot style Monarchy/Republic, and one team that is a Democratic/Anarchic style team. People can choose which to join.

There is still the possibility of some inter-team diplomacy, especially if we add some AI civs as buffers, trading partners or tackling dummies or whatever. The humans can cooperate to kill off the AI, then turn on each other or do something else.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:21 AM   #73
Sommerswerd
Sword of the Sun

To get us started off, I suggest we just say which team we want to be on, and whether we are willing to be the first turnplayer. I'll go first.

Team- Democratic
Turnplayer - No
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:22 AM   #74
Loev
Warlord

I would like to join Sommers, no turn player, just a super lurker
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:17 AM   #75
Sommerswerd
Sword of the Sun

Democratic / Consensus / Anarchy Team -
Turnplayer -???
Members -
Loev
Sommerswerd

Republican / Imperial / Monarchy Team-
Turnplayer -???
Members -???
Old Mar 22, 2012, 07:15 PM   #76
damnrunner
Emperor

I'd prefer holding off for more than just two teams. Duel games can be a slog and are not that rich of a game-play experience.
damnrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:57 AM   #77
cav scout
The Continuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnrunner View Post
I'd prefer holding off for more than just two teams. Duel games can be a slog and are not that rich of a game-play experience.
I agree. I think we can get enough active players for 6 healthy teams, we just need to recruit. If we build this thing and advertise it they will come.

We still need someone to host though!
Old Apr 04, 2012, 05:16 PM   #78
Caledorn
Emperor

I can arrange the hosting part if you guys go ahead and arrange the recruitment part. May need a bit of help since I've never run a PitBoss game - the techiestuff with setting up the router/port forwarding etc is no problem though.

Also I need one of two if I am to host. 1. Someone who can make a map - or 2. Someone who can help me make a map. If number 2, then I need more than 1 person to advice me, as I have figured that the map is a major part of debate/discussion in a game that seems to be the number one area of criticism of these games.
As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master. - Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

Last edited by Caledorn; Apr 04, 2012 at 05:19 PM.
Caledorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 05, 2012, 12:39 AM   #79
2metraninja
Defender of Nabaxica

Hey Caledorn! WB to the wonderful pitboss world, mate. Great that you can handle the hosting part - thats major progress on this project.

Lately I've been playing in many games where the maps are made by an Apolytoneer - OzzyKP. Generally, we had never game which failed with a map made by him and he is quite experienced at making them balanced.
Old May 01, 2012, 03:55 PM   #80
Bowsling
Deity

Is this happening? I would be interested in joining one.

Although I would prefer a four-team game. Two teams just doesn't give enough options for diplomacy, whereas with four teams it's much more interesting. Six was obviously way too many, but I think we can reasonably have four teams. Hell, there's even a four-team version of this going on for CivIII.