Pope condemns weapons industry

Without weapons, numbers are the deciding factor, and for every "strong" there are a thousand "weak".

A small band of organized men will always defeat the masses. The populace can slash and burn true, but they will lose after that. Every time.

Not true. When the people rise up en masse, you need more than just a small band of organized men.

Look I said that the people can topple governments, but they never strike at the core of the problem. It's much easier to blow up trains than to make them run on time. When things finally start getting reordered, those with plans and schemes inevitably rise up as the showrunners be it economic or political.

Look I said that the people can topple governments, but they never strike at the core of the problem. It's much easier to blow up trains than to make them run on time. When things finally start getting reordered, those with plans and schemes inevitably rise up as the showrunners be it economic or political.

Sure, but it's unwise to underestimate the power of the people. If they rise up en masse, there isn't much that can stop them.

You're right that a small organized group can easily benefit and rise to power in the aftermath, though.

without war, weapons, and revolution nobody would be "ruled"....

Shouldn't he put his money where his mouth is?

The Vatican's personal armory...

The current weapons of the Swiss Guard and Vatican security are all supplied by SIG, one of the biggest small arms businesses in the world.

without war, weapons, and revolution nobody would be "ruled"....

Until someone realizes nobody has weapons and all they have to do is build some of their own and then nobody could stop them.

Until someone realizes nobody has weapons and all they have to do is build some of their own and then nobody could stop them.

Then there's weapons and war, and thus the condition of "no weapons and war" isn't being met.

Then there's weapons and war, and thus the condition of "no weapons and war" isn't being met.

That's the point. At best, the conditions of "no weapons and war" can only exist temporarily.

I'm really not sure that that is necessarily true. It has certainly been true up to now, more or less, I think.

But isn't it just a matter of time before people, as whole, realize that armed conflict isn't a particularly efficient or desirable way to settle an argument?

Shouldn't he put his money where his mouth is?

The Vatican's personal armory...

The current weapons of the Swiss Guard and Vatican security are all supplied by SIG, one of the biggest small arms businesses in the world.
That medieval armor looks really scary. I'm sure this clearly symbolic "army", which actually does nothing besides guard the Pope from attack, poses a real threat to much of Western Europe and freedom loving people everywhere.

Well, maybe. But I'm not so sure that the Vatican's Swiss Guard is all that symbolic. They do defend the Pope from assassination attempts of which there have been a few that even I've heard of, and I'm sure the Pope is a frequent target for all sorts of nutters. So it's a defensive army. But then, you see, ALL armies are defensive armies (allegedly).

That medieval armor looks really scary. I'm sure this clearly symbolic "army", which actually does nothing besides guard the Pope from attack, poses a real threat to much of Western Europe and freedom loving people everywhere.

Keep underestimating them, and next thing you know you'll be waking up under the Vatican's flag.

I will point out that arguments about the reality of the Swiss guard aside, I'm not certain the Pope has the power to destroy their armory like that.

Well, maybe. But I'm not so sure that the Vatican's Swiss Guard is all that symbolic. They do defend the Pope from assassination attempts of which there have been a few that even I've heard of, and I'm sure the Pope is a frequent target for all sorts of nutters. So it's a defensive army. But then, you see, ALL armies are defensive armies (allegedly).
It is obviously just symbolic as an actual army which is capable of using force to defend against an actual one.

And I pointed out that their only real purpose was to guard the Pope.

You might as well try to call the Secret Service an army.

I will point out that arguments about the reality of the Swiss guard aside, I'm not certain the Pope has the power to destroy their armory like that.

Why wouldn't he? Is he not the Head of State for the Vatican, and thus the Commander-in-Chief of their armed forces? Could he not simply order the Swiss Guard to dispose of all their modern weaponry and only maintain their ceremonial weapons and armor?

Top Bottom