New Unit: Spanish Pikeman (May 9, 2005)

utahjazz7

Deity
Here's a unit. Use it. Love it. ;) I created this unit while writing my unit making tutorial. To be honest, I don't know that I ever want to see it again. It's been a long month with this guy. Umm . . . LouLong had requested months ago; I don't know anything about it.

Download

Right on! Funny, the Lord of the Mods was having the darndest time deciding on a spearman graphic for one of their unit lines... Frankly, there aren't enough spearmen units out there. That is to say, a big "Thank-you!!" to Mr. utahjazz7!

Well, that's a nice coincidence. I didn't even know about the need for a spearman, since the LOTM team is basically in seclusion. ;)

Cool :D And nice to hear the tutorial is out.

And I know where you're coming from in not wanting to look at a unit again. I frequently get to that point (sometimes before I'm even done with it).

Kinboat said:
...And I know where you're coming from in not wanting to look at a unit again. I frequently get to that point (sometimes before I'm even done with it).
Would this include that Kai Lord/Ranger unit you started? :sad:
I'm hesitant to jog your modelling arm, but I haven't heard anything about it for a good long while now... :blush:

@utah: We're not in seclusion, but rather in the first stage of testing; the private beta. If you're interested, send a PM to PCHighway. :)

mrtn said:
@utah: We're not in seclusion, but rather in the first stage of testing; the private beta. If you're interested, send a PM to PCHighway. :)

I know that you aren't really in an actual secluded state. But, with the private forum and all, the discussion has been moved away from the general public. Yeah, I was on the list to be eligible for the private beta, but I simply don't have time. Oh well.

Kinboat said:

And I know where you're coming from in not wanting to look at a unit again. I frequently get to that point (sometimes before I'm even done with it).

Normally by the time I start animating the death animation, I'm ready to start building the next model. I prevent myself from actually doing that though because I know I will not go back and finish the first for a long, long time. :)

I reach that point on just about every unit. :) I make my way through almost all of the animations, saving the death for last [size=-2](because that one usually is the biggest pain in the @$$)[/size], but when I get to that point even the thought of opening up Poser makes me nauseous. After a couple of days with the desktop icon staring me down, I concede and finish it up. But then of course once I release the unit I get so pumped up about posting the final product that I jump right into putting together the model for the next one. :rolleyes: It's a vicious cycle. :)

BTW... Great unit utahjazz7. :thumbsup:
And my congrats on finishing up the tutorial as well. I expect some good things to come from it.

it's a nice unit, however I would never call it a spanish pikeman. Pikemen of that age didn't use any shield because the pike+armor were too heavy, they had a different helm and a different armor. I'd rather use this unit as late-classical.

onedreamer said:
it's a nice unit, however I would never call it a spanish pikeman. Pikemen of that age didn't use any shield because the pike+armor were too heavy, they had a different helm and a different armor. I'd rather use this unit as late-classical.

Well, given the option between an ancient Spearman coming with the Bronze Working technology and Pikeman, I'll take Pikeman. ;)

onedreamer said:
I agree 100%.
That unit is very fine indeed, but it has very little, if any, resemblance to a Spanish pikeman.

luceafarul said:
I agree 100%.
That unit is very fine indeed, but it has very little, if any, resemblance to a Spanish pikeman.

The concept art for the unit can be found in the link below. The page comes from the DBA online, and it is for army #171: Medieval Spanish, 1350AD-1485AD. Click on the "Spears (Sp)" button.

All complaints can be directed toward them. ;)

http://www.dbaol.com/armies/army_171_figure_1.htm

Kinboat said:

@Kinboat: hehe, I'm feeling that right now about the x303 spaceship I've been working on...

@Utahjazz7: another well done unit. Also thanks alot for the tutorial. Maybe I'll finally get Poser sorted out. I sure appreciate your efforts.

Mithadan said:
Frankly, there aren't enough spearmen units out there. That is to say, a big "Thank-you!!" to Mr. utahjazz7!

Cant have enough Spearmen.

Personally, I changed Gold resource into Bronze and made Bronze a requirement for many early units. For example, you get your regular Spearman when you get the Bronzeworking Tech, but if you have the Bronze resource too, most Civ's can make a civ-specific Hoplite-class spearman instead. So yeah- more spearman units is better. Thanks!

Top Bottom