A New Tech Tree Mechanic for Civilization 5

Don't want you to think I haven't been following along. I have, and the idea is pretty exciting. Don't worry if Firaxis never reads it. It never stopped me. I genuinely just like talking about Civilization as a game. I'm glad someone else feels the same way.

That said, the technology tree was (arguably) invented by Sid Meier. It's a staple of the game and pretty much the entire GENRE. It's notable enough to qualify for its own wikipedia article. You're messing with sacred ground. But if Nintendo can give us the Wii, then Sid Meier can re-invent the tech tree as we know it. Hey, you never know.

The idea of modelling a dark age, which is rare, seems more like a bonus to this idea. What really might sell a LOT of people on the idea is that technology is influenced by what you do, rather than choosing what you want at a specific time. Seriously, I've heard a lot of people say they'd like military techs to come faster if they're at war, or economic techs to come faster if they're rich... believe it or not, your idea is the furthest along to realizing that goal. I hate to say it, but that's kind of sad. I'm not attacking you -- that's not your fault, obviously. But I mean that to say how many people suggest an idea, but cannot communicate how it might work.

The crux of your suggestion is actually quite simple: distinguish "Ideas" from "Applications". Beyond that, what civics or buildings help which branches, how great people might help adoption, and how to prevent permanent abandonment of a key tech are good questions. But not right now. The biggest challenge is drawing a prototype of this split tech tree, especially one that might let ancient China have guns, or ancient Rome have electricity. That's the biggest challenge. Is it two seperate trees? Is it two tiers that interact somehow? Is it a pyramid? A bunch of pies with slices?

Furthermore, how do you represent an era without going beyond the level of complexity that Firaxis seems to have now? That's about 15 techs for an era, and 6 eras for all of history. Each era has a certain amount of "stuff" as well, never much more than 40 or so units/wonders/buildings. (I once tried to reinvent the tech tree, with lots of parallel branches... until I realized that some eras had literally tripled in their amount of detail. No good.)

Okay, my head has almost stopped spinning ...

I really don’t have an organized way of presenting my questions, so I'm just going to hop around, between questions about detail, theory, and gameplay.

1. Would all techs have a basic negative modifier (before other modifiers come into play)? That is, if there were no modification from war, open borders, resources, etc., would there still be a penalty that requires the player to invest lightbulbs just to stay even? Related: Would you structure modifications in such a way that there will likely always be a net penalty applied to a tech? (That is, situations like you describe with Iron-working, where you might get it without investing any research at all, would be relatively rare?)

Yes, all techs will have a basic negative modifier. This is the "use it or lose it" penalty. The higher the difficulty level, the larger the penalty will be.

That said, the goal is NOT to make it very hard to adopt a tech. The modifiers are designed to make it harder when:
  • You do not have one or more of the prereqs
  • You're at war (presuming not Always War)

If those aren't true, then your modifiers should be at least zero, if not positive. Not enough that you can adopt/embrace every tech without committing any lightbulbs, but as long as the techs you research are happening "normally" and you're not racing ahead of your neighbors, it shouldn't be a huge deal to adopt/embrace techs.

Now, for those two conditions above, the reason I'm penalizing them is because I'm trying to simulate real-world experience (in the case of War penalties -- it's much harder to research Democracy when you're drafting Rifles from the population) and because I don't want to break the system (if you get a miraculous discovery pop of Rifles in 100 AD, it has to be hard for you to adopt it otherwise you'll be over-running everyone)

2. "You need to have 100 lighbulbs in it for 10 turns ... (since it must be consecutive turns)" Are lightbulbs and turns two different and independent investment conditions for adopting/embracing a tech? So, if I invested 9000 lightbulbs per turn in a tech, it would still take me at least 10 turns to secure it? On the other hand, if I made a net investment of 1 lightbulb per turn, it would take me at least 100 turns to secure it? (And since the turns must be consecutive, it might even take me 199 turns, if something bad happened on turn 99?) If these are independent conditions, why do you have them instead of Firaxis's much more elegant "lightbulb investment" model?

Yes, they're independent. Once you've "filled the lightbulb meter" you need to keep it there for X number of turns (although if you put 9000 into a 100 lightbulb tech, you don't need to put anymore in it unless you have a -1000 modifier). But if you have no negative modifiers, once you get it to the threshold, you don't need to invest any more lightbulbs.

The DAE requires the X number of turns system because of the following:
You discover Iron Working. You need 100 lightbulbs to research it. In the DAE system, you could pull away per-turn lightbulbs from every other tech you have for one turn just to get Iron Working to 100 as soon as possible. So let's say you're producing 100 lightbulbs. You have 4 other techs each receiving 25 lightbulbs a turn. You discover Iron Working. If you don't have the time restraint, you could cut off lightbulbs to all other techs so that you adopt Iron Working the next turn. By requiring the time restraint, that's a bad idea; depending on modifiers you probably can't afford to pull away research from other techs for the ten turns ... I just realized that makes no sense. If you have no negative modifiers, you could 'spike' a tech for one turn and then drop the lightbulbs from it since you just have to maintain the threshold.

Ok, here's my reasoning: historical realism. Discovery->Adoption is rarely instantaneous in the real world. Look at this thread: I "discovered" the DAE a couple days ago, but we still haven't adopted it yet even though I've been putting plenty of lightbulbs into it (probably to the dismay of my employer).

3. "And that's the main reason for Embracing a Tech: so you no longer have to commit lightbulbs to the tech [in order to keep from losing it.]". Ummmm... So that players will "embrace" a tech, you have made "adopted" techs susceptible to loss. But why make them susceptible to loss? "Embracing" sounds like a solution for which you have invented a problem. More fundamentally, it sounds like you're unsure whether you want techs to be permanent or not. You could have made all techs permanent upon adoption; you could have made all techs impermanent with no chance of being "embraced." Why do you propose a two-step first-it's-tenuous-and-then-it's-permanent model? What game purpose is served by this?

No game purpose. Historical realism purpose: techs get lost. Dark ages occur. Egyptians develop batteries and Romans develop steam engines and no one does it again for millenia. Greeks get invaded by the "Sons of Hercules" and lose the ability to write Linear B. To quote the philosopher: sh1t happens.

It also has gameplay function, though, because of the ability to pop an advanced tech earlier. Let's say I pop Steam Power in 100 AD. If all it takes is adoption to make it permanent, it's a lot easier to keep Steam Power in 100 AD. The Adoption->Embrace model forces the Civ not only to work to use Steam Power, they have to work to keep it. They've been given potentially a great tech benefit in the game essentially at random; there has to be a negative otherwise you chance becomes a great factor in who wins the game. The negative is the lightbulb investment necessary to keep Steam Power adopted makes it harder to adopts other techs. So: a decision is necessary. Do I keep Steam Power and risk falling behind otherwise, or do I leverage it to make up for my other deficiencies?

4. You note the many ways that bonuses could accrue (either positively or negatively). Wouldn't the player then be opening and closely studying the tech screen almost every single turn? Do you expect this or want it?

Not if they let the Automated Tech Advisor do the work. The ATA will autoallocate lightbulbs based on what you've stated before, and if there's a situation where the ATA can no longer do its job you'll be notified.

At the same time, the player is free to do what they want with the screen (even as far as turning off the ATA). Even still, an increase in lightbulbs (say, from population growth) will get proportioned out appropriately so the only time you'll need to really keep track is if you're at war or changing civics, etc.

One more thing(tm): this system is another check on infinite city sprawl. If you need to drop your research because the expense of empire is getting too large, you might end up having a tech problem. As the game currently goes, all that happens is you delay researching the next tech some turns. With this system, you could lose a tech.

5. How many technologies might a player find himself tracking? There are the ones being adopted, the ones being embraced, and also the ones that have been abandoned (because these could be resurrected). Might a player who loses too many techs and concentrates on adopting rather than embracing find himself facing a tech screen that displays two or even three dozen techs in various stages of development or decay?

Embraced techs don't show up on the Active Techs screen (they'll have a specific color on the Tech Tree screen), so you're left with Abandoned, Discovered, and Adopted techs on the screen. This can end up having a dozen techs on it. However, it shouldn't be too hard to deal with. Because of cascading prereq bonuses you probably only need to focus on the most recent techs. And older techs will start embracing automatically as the game progresses even if you don't try to embrace them. Obviously some design work will need to be done, but I can't imagine it being any more onerous than the 'list of cities' screen.

6. Are you suggesting a way of modeling a particular theory of how technology appears and evolves? Or are you more interested in trying integrate a lot of separate ideas you have had? That is, are you starting with a basic theory of the way technology advances and trying to develop a compelling, intuitive, and simple model for it? Or are you trying to find a system that will combine lots of ideas you've had over the years (dark ages! lost tech! parallel research! technological osmosis!)? If it's the latter, I don't know how someone could offer constructive suggestions; you could always meet such suggestions with "Oh, but that's a feature I've always wanted the game to have." That might not stop other people, but if it is your Erector set, I'd be very shy about telling you to screw it together in a different way.

The basis of this model came to me three days ago, I am in no way shape or form wedded to it. I would say I'm most interested in providing an alternative research system that allows strategy within the tech research. How that is accomplished is what I hope this thread can do. That said, I like the idea of fits and starts and dead ends in technology development, and I would hope that makes it into the final product.

EDIT: I finally figured out what's bugging me about the parameters you've put on this thread:

If Firaxis's opinion doesn't matter, why insist that the new system has to be built so that it can "turned off" and the old one run instead? I keep wanting to develop and refine a lot of the tech-tree behavior you propose, but do so by scrapping or heavily modifying the underlying structure. But I can't do that because it would fall afoul of the above constraint. Moreover, the current Civ system is about as simple and intuitive as you can get, which means redesigns that work from that base risk needlessly complicating a very elegant system. This is a very frustrating condition for me ...

Well, Firaxis' opinion might matter if they do see this thread and say "Hey ChrTh, we love it, here's $$$$" :mischief:

That said, the underlying Tech Tree can be modified/scrapped, but understand that you'll need to provide concrete examples of what you're then describing. The Tech Tree functions as a frame of reference; eliminating the frame of reference is a dangerous step to take when discussing theoretical structures.

Mxzs said:
That might not stop other people, but if it is your Erector set, I'd be very shy about telling you to screw it together in a different way.

Ah, screw it.

One of the many terrific ideas you have is that the possession of some techs should give a boost to the research of other, related techs. The idea is intuitive, easy to grasp, seems realistic, is highly useful, etc. But to realize it in game terms you have to describe some rather complex notions like "soft" and "hard prereqs" and of percent bonuses that would be applied to the tech that is currently under research or which could be applied to some "soft" prerequisite tech in case there is a-- And now I've got a headache again.

It's complicated because you're still working with the old and (you're right to call it this) obsolete tech structure in Civ. True, it's still around because it's elegant and easy to play with, but if you want a different research model, I think you ought to work deeper into the very idea of technological evolution and not just staple a lot of complications onto the skeleton Sid Meier created fifteen years ago.

I'm not saying I've got the last word on this (I doubt I've even come up with the idea first), but here's a notion I've been toying with:

In Civ a tech is basically a node in a network (albeit, a network stretched out along a single axis) that also carries a license to build stuff. So, Fishing powers up a channel leading to Pottery while also giving you a license to build work boats. Because it has no other structural features, ideas like yours can only be implemented by adding a lot of extraneous connections and relations (like bonuses), and this kind of stuff can be hard to keep track of. It's also inelegant.

Now, it's not really possible to construct an alternate and elegant way of modeling techs and their relations that perfectly captures what you have proposed: after all, your proposal is crafted with the current system at its base. Still, I think there is at least one alternate structure that could capture behavior very much like what you describe, and in a simpler way.

Basically, techs could be modeled not as nodes in a network but as integral components of larger structures. Just as a car is made up of simpler parts that blend together into a larger whole, later techs could be modeled as composites of earlier techs. These later techs would be discovered as soon as all of their components (the earlier prerequisite techs) had been discovered. So, for example (I'm making up examples on the fly): Cannon and Steam Power would not be techs whose discovery would allow you to research Ironclads. Rather, each would be (in addition to whatever other benefits it conferred) 1/2 of the Ironclads tech. Once the second of these precursor techs (whichever it happened to be) were discovered, the Ironclad tech would "pop."

By itself, of course, this doesn't seem like a big change; in the example above it would only mean that you wouldn't have to pursue the extra step of researching or acquiring the independent Ironclad tech. But when techs are elements in more than one combine, the savings accumulate. So suppose that Steam Power were also an element (along with Corporation) in Railroad. Then instead of having to research five techs to get both Ironclads and Railroad (Cannon, Steam Power, Corporation, Ironclads, and Railroad) you would only need to secure three (Cannon, Steam Power, Corporation): Ironclads would appear when you had two (Cannon and Steam Power), and Railroads would appear when you added Corporation. The more overlap there is between techs, the tighter these shortcuts are. The effect is not built like a bonus, but it would have a similar effect: By researching a cluster of closely related techs, you would draw closer more quickly to a series of more advanced techs. If the basic techs accumulated in the right order, you might find a situation in which two or three or even more later techs "popped" on the same turn.

To offset the quickened pace, though, techs would probably have to be composed of more than two prerequisites. (But the new structure—which takes techs as sets, not nodes—would make it easier to implement techs with more than two immediate prerequisites; the need to describe tech advances in a tree seems to be one reason that techs right now have a maximum of two prerequisites.) So instead of having two, Ironclads might actually require as many as five components (oh, let's say: Cannon, Steam Power, Propeller, Iron-Rolling, Advanced Shipbuilding). This would probably manage to do two things: first, it would slow down the pace of advance, but it would also make it easier to create the kind of clusters that could lead to "bonus-like" behavior.

For example, imagine three composite techs: Ironclads (Steam Power, Iron Rolling, Propeller, Cannon Making, Advanced Shipbuilding); Railroad (Steam Power, Iron Rolling, Corporation); and Armored Artillery (Steam Power, Iron Rolling, Cannon Making, Modern Explosives). To acquire the three later techs you would have to research seven precursors. (If classic Civ had these prerequisites, you'd have to research ten.) But once you were researching within this closely interrelated cluster (all three require Steam Power and Iron Rolling; two require Cannon Making) the three could pop in close succession. In fact, if either Steam Power or Iron Rolling were the last to be researched, all three would pop on the same turn. Again, it doesn't work in the same way that "bonuses" provided by techs in a tree would work, but it would lead to a very similar effect.

This new structure would also provide an easy way of characterizing and capturing the difference between "being adopted" and "being embraced." An "adopted" tech is one that has been discovered, which can be used, but might be lost because it is only weakly woven into the fabric of the civilization; an "embraced" tech is one that is a component of at least one other discovered tech. That's because technologies are permanently acquired when they are transcended, which happens either when they have been made completely obsolete by later techs or when they have been incorporated into them. In the first case, the later tech simply replaces the earlier one, as Modern Explosives (based on modern chemistry) replaces Gunpowder (based on primitive chemistry); Gunpowder doesn't become a permanent tech so much as it becomes useless one. In the second case, any civilization that knows how to operate a tech would know how to operate any of its components; any civilization that knew how to build Ironclads would necessarily also know how to build cannon and steam engines and how to roll iron plating.

The more discovered techs an earlier tech is a component of, the more securely it is embedded: steam power would be solidly possessed by any civilization that possessed (in the above example) Ironclads, Railroads, and Armored Artillery. In fact, you wouldn't even need to separately develop and model the concept of being "embraced" because that concept would already be realized as a necessary structural feature of the overall tech model.

This structure would also have room for eccentricity—the kind of thing Wodan was talking about. Up above, I mentioned "Armored Artillery." What's that? For lack of a better phrase, it's steam-driven tanks. Now, because later techs are composites of earlier techs, there could be (in mathematical theory) as many possible improvements/buildings/wonders/units as there are combinations of techs—Armored Artillery might be one of them. Now, it would be pointless and impossible to create a unit, etc., for every such possible combination of techs; you'd have to create [(2 to the nth power) minus 1] units, where n is the number of techs in the game. (Imagine 2 to the 80th power units in the game!) But you could provide units, etc., for some of these combinations, as I've playfully provided Armored Artillery. Here would be a natural place for mods to exploit.

(In fact, mods or designers could provide a huge number of units or improvements while also putting an easy limit on their appearance. It structures advanced techs as sets of earlier techs, but it could also structure some of them as ordered sets of earlier techs, which would sharply limit the chances of some of these advanced techs appearing. For instance, it might structure "Armored Artillery" as the ordered set <Modern Explosives, Cannon Making, Steam Power, Iron Rolling>. Only if you discovered these techs in this precise order would "Armored Artillery" appear. By making the "vanilla" techs unordered sets but alternate-world techs ordered sets, the designers could actually hide whole alternate tech lines inside the game.)

Some of your other ideas, I think, could also be more intuitively realized within this kind of framework. For instance, once techs are conceived as sets (ordered or otherwise), it is easy enough to make non-techs into elements of such sets. For instance, the set for Ironclads could be (Steam Power, Iron Rolling, Propeller, Cannon Making, [Tool Works]), where "[Tool Works]" is a city building (a proto-factory). Before the Ironclad tech can be realized, at least one Tool Works would have to be built, and the tech would remain active only so long as one such building were in operation. If during a war the all such buildings were destroyed, the civ would lose the ability to build Ironclads. Of course, the conceptual elements of the tech would probably not disappear, and the civ could quickly get Ironclads back if it built another Tool Works. But if the civ suffered serious reverses of a sustained nature, that ability might vanish for a very long time. If enough such reverses occurred, the civ might even enter a dark age, possibly an irreversible one. (I have read that Iran never fully recovered from Timurlane's destruction of its irrigation works. If Farms were an integral part of some very early techs, imagine the collapse that could follow if you lost all your Farms!) However, it would be a dark age whose causes would be transparent to the player and an outcome of gameplay, and therefore unlikely to be a source of frustration. (Well, it would be the kind of frustration you feel when a war is going badly.)

I've got other ideas. But I'll wait and see the reaction to this one.

Don't want you to think I haven't been following along. I have, and the idea is pretty exciting. Don't worry if Firaxis never reads it. It never stopped me. I genuinely just like talking about Civilization as a game. I'm glad someone else feels the same way.

That said, the technology tree was (arguably) invented by Sid Meier. It's a staple of the game and pretty much the entire GENRE. It's notable enough to qualify for its own wikipedia article. You're messing with sacred ground. But if Nintendo can give us the Wii, then Sid Meier can re-invent the tech tree as we know it. Hey, you never know.

Well, I am deeply respectful of the Tech Tree because of its stapleinity (tm ChrTh 2007). This is why I placed the option to revert to the Classic Tech Tree, and why under this system you'd still be able to look at the Tech Tree via the Science Advisor screen. It's still there. You just don't have the same level of control to move forward through like you used to do.

The idea of modelling a dark age, which is rare, seems more like a bonus to this idea. What really might sell a LOT of people on the idea is that technology is influenced by what you do, rather than choosing what you want at a specific time. Seriously, I've heard a lot of people say they'd like military techs to come faster if they're at war, or economic techs to come faster if they're rich... believe it or not, your idea is the furthest along to realizing that goal. I hate to say it, but that's kind of sad. I'm not attacking you -- that's not your fault, obviously. But I mean that to say how many people suggest an idea, but cannot communicate how it might work.

When I discussed the Discovery Phase, I made sure that the player has control over how the percentages are allotted on a per-turn base, with only the min and max as parameters. Maybe I need to take it out of the players' hands and thus allow bonuses/penalties based on situations to come into play. If I rework how Discovery is calculated, I could probably make it even more in tune with what the player is doing ... hmmm ... let me come back to this later.

The crux of your suggestion is actually quite simple: distinguish "Ideas" from "Applications". Beyond that, what civics or buildings help which branches, how great people might help adoption, and how to prevent permanent abandonment of a key tech are good questions. But not right now. The biggest challenge is drawing a prototype of this split tech tree, especially one that might let ancient China have guns, or ancient Rome have electricity. That's the biggest challenge. Is it two seperate trees? Is it two tiers that interact somehow? Is it a pyramid? A bunch of pies with slices?

Well, I use Civics/Buildings/Great People/etc as ways of doing internal testing to the system. It helps me develop ideas about the system and keeps me grounded -- too many times I've seen ideas go like this "Well, how would Civics be affected" "Oh, I'd take Civics out" ... in other words, their solution to a problem to a suggested idea is to suggest changing something else, until eventually they've created a brand new game just to deal with one change. If I can implement DEA without changing anything in Civ 4, I'd be ecstatic. (Obviously, some re-balancing of tech effects needs to occur, but if I can leave Religions, Civics, Buildings, et al., as if nothing changed, I'm golden in my opinion)

And you're right: I'm distinguishing Ideas from Applications. As I said in your thread, Techs should have 3 components: Ideas (the Discovery phase), Practicability (the Modifiers to Adoption) and Sustainability (the move towards Embracing or Abandonment). I left out that in this thread because a lot of it is blurred (some of the Modifiers deal with both Practicability and Sustainability), but it's still there.

As for the biggest challenge ... well, actually, I think it's done -- it just needs some decision making. I should be able to take the DEA model and apply it to the current Civ 4 Tech Tree. What needs to be done is:
Every Tech needs to be applied to a Branch
Every Prereq (cascaded back through the entire chain) must be evaluated as to whether it's a Soft or Hard Prereq

Once that's determined, everything else is playtesting and assigning numbers, to be honest. Take Steam Power. It currently has Prereqs of Chemistry and Replaceable Parts. Replaceable Parts is definitely a soft prereq in my opinion, as is Chemistry (I don't consider 'boiling water' as Chemistry). Printing Press is a prereq of Replaceable Parts, but I see no reason to make it one of Steam Power (Paper is out too). You know something? This whole Replaceable Parts line is a crock. So Replaceable Parts isn't even a Soft Prereq.

Ok, let's look at Chemistry though. Chemistry is a Soft Prereq. Gunpowder, though, is not. Engineering, however, is. Machinery I would consider a Hard Prereq, as I would Construction. So:

Steam Power has 4 prereqs: Chemistry (soft), Engineering (soft), and Machinery (hard), and Construction (hard).

So: I can not discover Steam Power until I have Machinery and Construction. After I have those two, Steam Power can be discovered (although without Chemistry and Engineering it will be harder -- just not impossible). After I discover Steam Power, I may even be able to adopt it. There's a catch however: I don't have Iron Working adopted (yep, it's not a hard prereq for Metal Casting or Machinery)! Oy! Oh well, let me see if I can get that adopted so I can build Ironclads ...

See, that sounds like fun to me.

Furthermore, how do you represent an era without going beyond the level of complexity that Firaxis seems to have now? That's about 15 techs for an era, and 6 eras for all of history. Each era has a certain amount of "stuff" as well, never much more than 40 or so units/wonders/buildings. (I once tried to reinvent the tech tree, with lots of parallel branches... until I realized that some eras had literally tripled in their amount of detail. No good.)

Well, the eras are just labels in Civ 4, to be honest. They don't have the functioning that Civ 3 did with the required and optional techs for moving into the next era. So I like I said above, I should be able to do the DEA model on the Civ 4 Tech Tree. The only concern is that within each era there's roughly equal number of Techs per branches. That might require reworking.

So: three things
1) Rework Discovery Phase to make it non-interactive (the more I think about this, the more I like it)
2) Divide up the Techs into their Branch Pools
3) Determine the Soft and Hard Prereqs for each Tech

Some quick post-lunch notes/thoughts:

1) I want to mention something about my Steam Power example above. In reality, Ironclads should have Replaceable Parts as a prerequisite as well since I've removed it from Steam Power (and all Unit/Building prereqs should be Hard prereqs). So even with Iron Working, you wouldn't be able to build an Ironclad ... so the question becomes, what's the point of getting Steam Power early?

That's why I think the Techs need to be redone somewhat. Steam Power should provide +50&#37; movement (rounded down? up?) to all Naval Vessels (Boats that require Steam Power to be built would have a base movement specified lower so that with the +50% it returns to its 'normal' value). So your Galley can now move 3 after you gain Steam Power. Again, this is all balancing/playtesting, I just wanted to illustrate where some advantages could be gained by adopting advanced techs early.

2) I'm beginning to think the Discovery mechanic should be separated from the AEA mechanic for discussion purposes. Since this thread has mostly focused on AEA, I think I'll create a new thread just for the Discovery mechanic.

3) @Mxzs: I'm not going to have a chance to read/answer your post for several hours, so don't think I'm ignoring you (especially if I do answer a subsequent smaller post)

Ok, I've got the Discovery Mechanic discussion started with a new implicit system of Discovery. I think I need to do a real example first, but go ahead and look.

EDIT: A Link would help :rolleyes:

Hmm, so the idea is closer to the original tech tree than once thought. The only reason I suggested working with one era is because it might be easier to put together a prototype. But if it's closer to the original tree, it will be easier to visualize. That's good.

It also makes the idea less "bold". But that's not necessarily a bad thing. The appeal isn't the boldness, or even the dark ages (which can be cool, in moderation). The biggest benefit is still the idea that techs can be developed by "necessity"... not just raw research. We have lots of cows... what do you know, we domesticated them faster than everyone else. We're at war a lot... what do you know, we discovered iron working.

This is the trade off:

(1) add an additional step after discovering the tech (adoption, and stability)
(2) ditch a lot of hard requirements, allowing much more tech flexibility

The first step adds complexity. That's always a strike against every idea, whether people like it or not. There's a rule that Firaxis (and indeed most designers) go by. If you put something in, take something out. If you add health, take out pollution. If you add great people, take out building maintenance. If you add combat bonuses, take out separate attack/defense values.

That's why I'm excited about your second step. As it stands now, the current tech tree requires a lot of mouse-overs and scrolling to figure out what all the pre-reqs for a tech are. ChrTh, you will be able to add a lot of value to your new system if the pre-reqs are more minimal, and more easy to visualize than what Firaxis has now. I think you might be able to pull it off, even.

That's your challenge, IMO. Can you make this easier to visualize than the current tech tree? It might be enough to develop one clear "branch" (e.g.: military), since that seems to be a better way to carve up your system than by "era".

Don't worry, this is purely an intellectual exercise. I doubt Firaxis will even care that this thread exists. I'm just providing an alternative to the current system.
Ahh...
Well, in that case, you can count me in the fun. In fact, after reading this thread and the other one, I think I have a way to depict all of this to the player visually that will be extremely familiar and simple to use...
I'll draw a mock-up and post it tonight.

Ok, first off, I may have misinterpreted a few things, since I must admit I have not wholeheartedly paid attention to both threads (I'll do so from now on though ;)) I'll post a series of pictures to discuss, and I'll simply call them 1, 2, 3, etc., based on the order of appearence, of course.

1 shows a typical tech tree (minus lines - to save time). I say, don't abandon the tree, it's a staple and it's an easy way to condense a vast amount of information... but it can hold more, as you can see. The functionality that is in civ4 basically remains, with a few minor alterations.

2 shows how the breakdown works visually. The big 6 categories are vertical on the lefthand side (only one shown to save time), and basically all techs of that category fall in line with it (think CtP2's tech tree sort of visual seperation, with each category having a unique background color). The categories must remain stationary, while the rest of the screen is scrollable in x and y directions.
Although not shown, in the upper lefthand of the technology block, there would be a node to expand the "application tree", which shows all the applications associated with this tech. And again, not shown, but to the right of the name of the application would be text like:
70/100____15 per turn____2 turns
showing the progress (70/100), how many points per turn (15) and the number of turns to the next level (discovered, adopted, embraced - once embraced, none of this is shown)
*I'd like to say here that it would be nice if the system didn't require a player to drill down into these nodes, but would allow it if he chose to go in and micromanage the priority of the applications (that user choice that was discussed somewhere).

3 shows how prerequisite chains could work over multiple categories. Simply select (or mouse over) the tech and a line is drawn back to the appropriate category, but is otherwise hidden to avoid clutter. Also, multiple colors can be used to show the hard/soft-ness of the prerequisite. Also, these same multiple colors can be used to for the text colors of the Application's (70/100____15 per turn____2 turns) as detailed above.

4 shows the different states of the techs by use of a colored border around the tech boxes.

Well, that's basically it. I'll leave it that simple and that open for discussion, as this is only meant to show a method of displaying the information and shows how the player can deal with this vast amount of info.

Attachments

• techtree1.bmp
    234.5 KB · Views: 93
  • techtree2.bmp
    234.5 KB · Views: 76
  • techtree3.bmp
    234.5 KB · Views: 104
  • techtree4.bmp
    234.5 KB · Views: 74
After posting yesterday, I realized that I need to make the extent of my enthusiasm for your idea much more clear. I love everything about it. Except the technical realization. I love the idea of random discovery within constraints. I love the idea of a bias toward abandonment. I love the idea of research clusters and bonuses. I love the idea of possible "dark ages." I love the idea of a multi-step research process--despite my skeptical and querulous tone, I love the distinction between "adopting" and "embracing." I even love things you haven't articulated but which I think are features of your idea. For instance, I think you are (whether you recognize it or not) working with a powerful and intuitive theory of technological development. It even possesses a powerful unity that belies its seeming improvisation. It is like a necessary idea that has finally been born.

For now, let me mention its merits as a model. Partly that's because "modeling" is the concept I always come back to when I look at a game like Civ. (Frankly, unless it embodies a "unified" theory of some historical process, I really can't be bothered with suggested changes to the game. To my mind "Oo! Oo! They oughta add dark ages!" is, by itself, almost as trivial as "Oo! Oo! Octavian oughta be the leader of the Romans!") Mostly, though, I think I can best be faithful to your suggestions by being faithful to the model you are (perhaps unconsciously) working from. Almost all of your proposals drop from that model like ripe fruit.

In essence, you are describing technological evolution as a complex process of discovery, development, exploitation, and transcendence. The key parts of that theory are these:

1. Technological advances are made by accident, but not all accidents are equally likely. Discoveries are made by accident (people notice things), but civilizations have tendencies and insistences. Thus, they are more likely to make discoveries of a certain kind. Techniques are discovered in a process that is randomized within constraints.

2. Discovered technologies exist first as concepts; the civilization must then refine them into useful applications. Once a technique is discovered, the people who are interested in such things play around with them, figuring out how they work and what they can be used for. If, for whatever reason, they can't figure out a use, then the discovery disappears.

3. Concepts with proven applications must be applied in practice before they can become permanent. The acquisition of a technology is the acquisition of a habit: the habit of building and using the items that the technology creates. Those who habitually build jet aircraft are unlikely to lose the skills or underlying knowledge that they need to build them.

4. Exploited concepts attain permanence only when they are either transcended or universalized. A habit becomes impossible to lose when it is either subsumed or reinforced by other habits. In the first case: Technologies are incorporated into other technologies; so long as these later technologies are practiced, then the component technologies cannot be lost. So, any civilization that figures out how to make ironclads cannot lose more primitive metal-working technologies, because those techniques are an integral part of the later ones. In the second case: Technologies can be made permanent if they are widely disseminated. The widest possible dissemination occurs when they have been picked up by every civilization. Technological "irradiation" will then make it less likely that any particular technology will disappear in any particular locality.

To model this theory, you propose to set up the following (I describe the elements loosely, using my own terminology):

1. Discovery: Discoveries are not researched. Rather, they crop up. However, the chances of any tech's appearing are modified by the civilization's own attributes, by the player's own further preferences, and by the circumstances that hold at any particular moment within the game. So, for instance, militaristic civilizations are more likely to discover techs with military applications; the player himself can augment or diminish this tendency; and whether the player is at war or not will also augment or diminish the tendency. But within these probabilistic constraints, discoveries will be made randomly.

2. Development: Research, properly, is conducted by the "wise men" who then beaver away at it. The player can encourage or discourage this kind of research and modify the intensity with which it is conducted. More intensity means they will refine its applications more quickly; less intensity (at the limit) might lead them into simply abandoning it before its applications become apparent.

3. Exploitation: After a certain amount of effort, the applications can be realized and exploited: buildings can be built, units ordered up, actions performed. Doing this kind of thing will help keep the techniques in being, but it is still theoretically possible for them to be lost.

4. Transcendence: The technology becomes a permanent acquisition only when it is incorporated into further technologies or when it becomes so widely practiced that the civilization cannot fail to lose access to it.

Now, this does not perfectly describe what you've suggested. In particular, it does not describe the process of "embracing." But that&#8212;if I may be blunt&#8212;is because you have not fully developed that notion. At the moment, you have the idea of universalization, but in place of transcendence you only have "adoption-plus." Your instincts are on the button&#8212;there's a difference between having a habit and an "unloseable." But it's a difference in kind, not merely of intensity.

Everything you propose exists in embryonic form in this sketch. It even contains things that you don't develop&#8212;like Wodan's idea of alternate tech lines&#8212;in implicit form. (If discoveries come in a different order or in different circumstances, different techs are likely to appear.)

As I've grumbled, I'm not keen on the way you're trying to technically realize it, but in this thread I will do my best to work within the constraints that you've set. If the classic "tech tree" model as a network is going to stay in place, let's see what can be done with it! :)

@Mxzs: :wow: you nailed it. Exactly what I'm going for. I've just been putting more discovery points in Philosophy/Practical while you've been putting them in Philosophy/Theoretical. :groucho:

Is it ok if I link to your post from the two threads? I think it's a great primer for what we're trying to accomplish here.

I know you don't like the Tech Tree structure I'm still using, but you have to understand: Firaxis is not going to blow up the Tech Tree. I'm working on a compromise where they have the flexibility to use bold new ideas without sacrificing one of the core features of Civilization. Now, if they add the DAEA model to Civilization 5 -- and it's a hit -- then we can look at redoing the structure for Civilization 6 ;)

@alms66: I haven't look at the pics yet, I'll do so shortly.

One More Thing (TM):

I'm going to be changing one of the terminologies I've been using. I'm going to stop using 'soft' and 'hard' prerequisites. Instead, there will be:

• Prerequisites: Your Civ must have these Techs to Discover/Adopt
  • Influencers: Having these Techs make it easier for your Civ to Discover/Adopt

Granted, not having an Influencer (and frankly, I'm not wedded to the name, if someone has a better idea?) still shows as a Negative Modifier during Adoption, but I don't see a way around that.

Alright, I'm back with some ideas. For once in my life, I'll try to keep things short. Specifics will be in the post; reflections of a more technical, theoretical nature will be in spoiler boxes.

Discovery
1. The player should have a Science budget (a percentage of his overall revenues, just as it works currently). This budget "buys" discoveries, and the player knows how long it will be before his next discovery occurs, but he doesn't know which discovery it will be. So, the info bar at the top of the screen would say "Next discovery in (X) turns)" instead "Democracy in (X) turns." The player could speed up or slow down the pace of his discoveries by changing the Science rate.

2. When the discovery is made, the program chooses from a set of possibilities (there is no single tech that it is being "examined"). It's not that each possible tech has a certain chance of being discovered; rather, there is a certain chance that it will be the tech discovered that turn. For instance, if there are four possible techs to be discovered (A, B, C, D), the chances might be distributed as A (24%), B (65%), C (10%), D (1%).

3. The chances associated with each tech would be a function of "influencer" techs. There would be no "hard" prerequisites. Instead, each tech in the game would come with a number of "eyeballs" (the Discovery equivalent of lightbulbs) that would be directed toward other techs. For instance, Mining might contain the following list of techs toward which it would act as an "influencer":

Mining
Bronze Working: 20 eyeballs
Iron Working: 20 eyeballs
Masonry: 15 eyeballs
Metal Casting: 10 eyeballs
Mathematics: 7 eyeballs
Physics: 3 eyeballs

Any of these techs would be discoverable to a civilization that had Mining. When it came time for a new discovery, the program would list the techs that had eyeballs directed at them, total up the number of eyeballs each one had directed at it, and calculate the percentage to be assigned to that tech by dividing its number of eyeballs by the total. Suppose the player had only two techs, Mining (described above) and Bronze Working, which has the following list:

Bronze Working
Iron Working: 25 eyeballs
Metal Casting: 25 eyeballs

That means only the following techs would be available for discovery, and each would have the following total of eyeballs directed toward it:

Iron Working: 45 eyeballs (20 from Mining and 25 from Bronze Working)
Metal Casting: 35 eyeballs
Masonry: 15 eyeballs
Mathematics: 7 eyeballs
Physics: 3 eyeballs

The percentages for each (chance of being the tech discovered on that turn):

Iron Working: 42.9%
Metal Casting: 33.3%
Masonry: 14.3%
Mathematics: 6.7%
Physics: 2.9%

Note that techs could just as easily have eyeballs pointing toward intuitively "earlier" techs as toward later ones. Physics (a fairly late tech) might have eyeballs directed at Mining. Of course, the chances that a civilization could get Physics before Mining ought to be remote; that could be controlled by having late techs direct whopping big numbers of eyeballs backward so that the anomaly doesn't last.

Why this system?

Spoiler :
In another thread I observed that the tech tree is as much a delaying mechanism as it is a facilitating one; the designers use it, in part, to keep the player from advancing too fast. A revised model of tech advance has to respect this, which means that the element of chance needs to be restricted. There might be ways of making the pace of discovery random while trying to regulate its speed, but I suspect they would be complex, cumbersome, and impossible to fine-tune. The simplest way to regulate the player's speed of advance is to regulate the pace at which he acquires techs; restrict the "chance" element to the picking of which tech he discovers.

The distinction between prerequisites and influencers is a hard one to maintain, because a prerequisite is an "all or nothing" element while influencers are "matters of degree." That is why I suggest eliminating the idea of prerequisites entirely. So far as I can tell, the notion is useful only for two things: for delaying the appearance of advanced techs and for keeping the skeleton of a classic Civ-style tech tree in place. The latter goal could easily be met, I think, by picking out the precursor techs that contribute the most to the discovery of a successor tech and making them "prerequisites" if the classic tech tree is turned on. The former is the worry that, somehow, the player's first discovery might be Military Tradition or Robotics, and so a rigid series of phases has to be imposed on his progress.

But if you're going to go that route, it seems to me you'd be best off just keeping Civ system exactly as it is while letting the computer randomly pick the player's tech choices for him. ("Oh, you'd like to research Steam Power, eh? Too bad; the die roll says you'll be researching Democracy instead.") It would pretty much come to the same thing: the prerequisites mean he can only advance in certain specified directions, and the computer randomly picks which direction he goes. Anyway, one of the attractive features of ChrTh's proposal is that it could let the player get certain techs surprisingly early (like, yes, Steam Power in ancient times) which could make each game more unique. While the problem of "getting Robotics in 2500 BC" needs a solution, I think there should be a more elegant one than using prerequisites.

Research
My ideas for research (the phase between discovery and adoption) are only slight refinements and simplifications to ChrTh's original theory. They are so slight they might not even be worth bothering with. The most noticeable changes, in fact, will be those that anticipate my suggested changes to the Adoption/Transcendence phase.

1. When a player discovers a tech he is given a choice between researching and abandoning it. Abandonment does not take place immediately, however.

2. If he goes to his Science screen, the player will find all the techs that he has discovered by not yet adopted. These techs will be displayed with the following: The name, a lightbulb track, a number indicating if the track is advancing or decaying, and a button that toggles between "Active" and "Inactive." His research money (a function of the amount of money he devotes to science) will be divided equally among his "Active" techs.

3. When a tech is added to the research screen, it gets a certain number of lightbulbs: say, 20 (but no more than 10% of the total that would fill the track). If it is inactive, then the negative modifier that applies to all techs would naturally lead its lightbulb track to decay; when it reaches zero, the tech disappears from the screen.

4. There are only two ways the player could regulate the speed of research for his techs: by increasing or decreasing the number of techs he has active, or by increasing or decreasing his total Science funds. The more techs he has active, the slower they will advance; if he has too many active techs and insufficient funds, they will all decay. If he wants to concentrate on one or two that, he can turn off the others (gambling that he can turn them on again before they hit zero).

5. Techs would differ in the number of lightbulbs they need in order to be "adopted." This would be reflected in the length of the lighbulb track or the density with which they are packed in.

Why this system?

Spoiler :
This is basically ChrTh's system, even down to the ability to shift resources to only a few active techs. Relying on a binary "Active/Inactive" status instead of sliders makes it more rough-grained, but what it loses is the ability to fine-tune to a fare-thee-well it makes up, I think, in simplicity. The more sliders the player has to deal with, the harder it will be to get the settings exactly as he wants. (Remember how much fun it was to play with the three "Tax/Science/Luxury" sliders in earlier versions of Civ? Multiply that by five or six.)

Having a small number of lightbulbs appear in the tracks of new techs is another way of simplifying his proposal: it captures the idea that the player has time to change his mind without building in a clock as a separate element.

Regulating the length of lightbulb tracks might be another way of keeping advanced techs out of the hands of early civs. The number of lightbulbs certain advanced techs need in order to be adopted might be set very high early in the game and gradually decrease as the game progresses. Even if the player kept beavering away at the advanced tech, it might take an ungodly amount of time to finally secure it

Adoption/Transcendence
1. A tech would be adopted once it filled its lightbulb track. At that point the player could use it to build units and buildings; it would also begin contributing "eyeballs" toward other techs.

2. Once a tech was adopted, it would remain on the research screen but switch to "Inactive"; however, the player would not have the option of rendering it active. This means that it would no longer receive lightbulbs and would begin to decay. If it reached zero, it would fall back into the "undiscovered" category and have to be both discovered and researched all over again.

3. To permanently secure the tech, the player would have to either build whatever unit, building, or improvement it licensed, or he would have to discover, research, and adopt a "successor tech." (The "successor tech" relations would be specified, like the "eyeball" list.) Once he adopted a successor tech, the adopted tech would disappear from the research screen, migrating into a list of "permanent techs." If he built at least one building, unit, and/or improvement licensed by the adopted tech, the tech would remain on the research screen but the lightbulb track would be reset as "full" and the negative modifier would disappear. If, however, he lost all of the elements it licensed, then the modifier would reappear.

4. If an adopted tech is lost, then the techs to which it is a successor would move from the list of permanent techs back to the research screen and begin to decay.

Why this system?

Spoiler :
As I suggested in my "historical reflections," there is a difference between being adopted and being made an "unloseable"; this is not a difference in degree but in kind. Basically, a tech is "unloseable" if the habits it licenses are either regularly exercised or become elements in other habits. The player can keep his new techs only if he uses them; otherwise, he will eventually lose them through disuse.

The "successor tech" relation in a sense represents a new use for the "prerequisite" relation, but it would serve a different purpose; instead of being used to secure an advanced tech by mastering an early tech, it would secure an early tech by mastering a later tech.

I prefer my term "transcendence" on anal-retentive grounds: "adoption" and "embracing" are not parallel grammatical constructions. I am trying to work on this character flaw, but I am a former copy editor, and the habits I picked up in that job are not decaying fast enough.

Alternate Way of Relating Techs
I return from my sojourn in the desert chastened into moderate radicalism with nothing to offer. Never mind.

I make the following suggestion purely on a FWIW basis. Obviously, it couldn't not be directly plugged into the proposals outlined above; they would have to be modified in various ways.

I start by introducing a distinction between two kinds of techs: theoretical techs and applied techs.

Theoretical techs are techs that do not allow you to build anything or make any changes to your civilization. They represent the real-life theories that scientists play with in the abstract.

Applied techs are the techs that let you build things or change your settings: build Musketmen, Grocers, or Watermills; increase the yield from towns; change over from Hereditary Monarchy to Representation. They represent the techs that develop after the engineers have gone to work on the theoretical techs. It takes an Einstein to come up with the theory of relativity, but an Oppenheimer to build the atom bomb.

My suggestion (the longer justification enclosed in a spoiler box below):

1. The player can only discover, research, adopt, and embrace theoretical techs. By itself, not one of these techs would allow him to build anything.

2. The applied techs that let the player build things are modeled as sets: once the player has secured the requisite elements, he would instantly gain the applied techs. Once he had techs A, B, and C, for example, he would automatically gain D (an applied tech) without further effort.

3. The elements that go into the applied techs would consist of theoretical techs, other applied techs, buildings, units, terrain improvements, and basic terrain.

4. Some of the applied techs would be realized as ordered sets, so that only if those elements were secured in a specified order could the applied tech itself be secured.

Why this system? The longer justification can be gleaned from this thread. Shorter version follows.

Spoiler :
Once upon a time Civ basically had the theoretical/applied distinction; Civ 1 (IIRC) was full of theoretical techs, little road stops you had pass through in order to get to the techs that let you build Infantry or The Manhattan Project. Now, in practice Civ has moved more and more toward using only applied techs, and with good reason: the player always wants new toys, and it would be cumbersome for the designers to come up with (let alone force the player to research) multiple techs in order to get to the good stuff. This is dh_edit's recurrent aria: "What, are you gonna come up with 80 new techs?"

But in formal terms it is quite easy to model a tech like Steam Power as the merger of a theoretical tech and an applied tech: there's the theoretical tech called "Steam Power" (which even the Romans had) and the applied tech called "Ironclads" (that lets you build the Ironclad unit), and Civ's "Steam Power" just blends them into one. But if you keep them conceptually separate you can see that Civ already includes hundreds of techs: the 80+ in the tech tree and a bunch more that are attached to a unique unit (the "Ironclad" tech), to a unique building (the "Grocer" tech), to a unique ability (the "Build Pasture" tech), to a unique civic (the "can institute Slavery" tech), and even to changes in yield (the "can now draw an extra coin from towns" tech). It just unifies and relates these techs through the 90-tech tech tree.

An example to illustrate what I mean: Take Steam Power, which (in this example only) has Chemistry as a prerequisite; leads to Industrialization; lets you build Ironclads; and reveals Coal. How many techs are here? Well, in the game there are only three: Steam Power, Chemistry, and Industrialization. But if you count the number of relations and define the "techs" they connect as uniquely attaching to those relations, then there are: Chemistry, which leads to Steam Power A; Steam Power B, which leads to Industrialization; Steam Power C, which lets you build Ironclads; and Steam Power D, which reveals Coal. That's six (Chemistry, Industrialization, Steam Power A, Steam Power B, Steam Power C, Steam Power D). Civ simply unifies the four "Steam Power" techs into one. There are, however, as many "techs" as there are relations in the game.

If you keep this fact in mind while you go about changing the way techs are discovered, acquired, and supported, you can open up a lot more possibilities. You can, for instance, take the tech that lets you build ironclads (Steam Power C) and treat it as a separate tech that can take two or more other techs as prerequisites while removing the requirement that it be independently researched. By removing that requirement, in fact, you basically render the tech itself invisible while leaving it no less real. The player need not be told (or even realize) that in researching (say) Steam Power and Iron Rolling that he has also gained the Ironclad tech; he only needs to know that researching those two has now given him the ability to build ironclads.

First moral: Don’t let the seeming multiplication of techs fool you; in practice, you're just requiring that the buildable stuff have multiple techs, not just one.

That's the technical hocus pocus. Why would this fit in with ChrTh's proposal?

A. It would very cleanly separate the kind of abstract knowledge that typically appears by accident from the kind of applied knowledge that is often deliberately pursued. The former would appear quasi-randomly in the game; the latter would be constructed out of the theoretical knowledge that was gained and the player's own deliberate building choices. The kind of applied knowledge that a player could pursue would be constrained by the theoretical knowledge his civ has, as is appropriate. He could, however, channel his knowledge gains to the extent that he knows how he ought to modify his cities (by building barracks, walls, temples, etc.) or by changing civics or altering his landscape.

B. It would go a long way toward eliminating cumbersome "age" distinctions. Right now a designer has to keep "Steam Power" out of the hands of the primitives lest they start building Ironclads. But with "Steam Power" as a theoretical tech, there would be no impediment to letting the primitives discover and research it. That's because all the dangerous stuff they could do with it could be postponed until much later in the game, until they had not only discovered advanced shipbuilding techniques, advanced metallurgy, and the propeller, but had also (probably) built a Forge or other kind of metal-working facility. Here is another way of delaying the onset of advanced units, and it could do so without having to make the tech tree rigid.

C. It would easily open up alternate tech trees. Far from making it rigid, it could actually make it more flexible. Steam Power in early eras would not be wasted if it opened up alternate tech trees. This could be accomplished (and suitably restricted) by creating applied techs that take as their ordered elements some unusual or unlikely-to-be-combined techs and using them to create novel units or buildings whose military or productive powers would be suitably modest. I've mentioned modest possibilities in earlier posts. More radical suggestions (e.g., Steam-Powered Zombies, which are licensed by the ordered set <Biology, Mysticism, Obelisk [building], Fishing, Steam Power> (the internal ordered set <Mysticism, Obelisk [building], Fishing> is "Cthulhuism") are left as an exercise to imaginative readers. Note that the controlling criteria of such alternate sets is that the units they license should be powered to match the era in which it seems they could most likely occur in.

Mxzs, All in all well thought-out and good ideas. Some observations:

Discovery -- I think that your "eyeballs" mechanic might tend to force civs into being one-dimensional. e.g., you get bronze working. Now you have increased chance at iron working. Then, you have 2 techs along these lines, and the chance at Forges is increased even more. Then, you have even more chance at the 4th tech in that path. Etc.

What's the relationship between the Discovery "budget" and the Research "budget"?

Adoption: "unloseable" should not be permanent as the name implies. If a successor tech is lost, then the prerequisite should drop back a notch and become in jeopardy.

Everything else looks great!

Wodan

Mxzs, I definitely think you've come up with a solid way to achieve the discovery/adoption or idea/application distinction (whatever we want to call it).

The concept that you can't see what you're researching is sometimes called "blind research". The idea that you specialize in one area over another, uncertain of the specific payoff, is similarly called "semi-blind research". With both systems, there's necessarily an element of probability and randomness. The important thing is that discovery doesn't become so random that one player can go 50 turns without a technology, while another player might discover 3 techs in 3 turns. On the most base mathematical level, more time needs to lead to better odds. Somehow I can't help but think of the current "Great Person" system, but there's obviously more than one way to do this.

I'd like to answer, but I have to go. I might eventually edit this into an answer

Ok - the thread isn't the same as when I originally posted this... where did Epic's long list of questions go?

Adoption: "unloseable" should not be permanent as the name implies. If a successor tech is lost, then the prerequisite should drop back a notch and become in jeopardy.

"Unloseables" would not actually be unloseable. Point 4 in that section: "If an adopted tech is lost, then the techs to which it is a successor would move from the list of permanent techs back to the research screen and begin to decay." So, once you adopted Industrialization (say), Steam Power (which helps lead to it) would move to the permanent screen (as an "unloseable"). But if you lost Industrialization, Steam Power would move back to the research screen and start to decay in turn. So, if you turned off all your research, eliminated your units, tore down your cities, and stopped building stuff, you would eventually lose every tech you had previously acquired. Which is what should happen in such a situation.

(I don't mean that the situation would have to be that dire in order to get a "dark age." But in the limit, a civilization that tore out its full physical infrastructure and just stopped doing research would revert to the Stone Age.)

Less happy thoughts:

In classic Civ, the player is given a choice of techs to research. He can control the pace of discovery and switch between projects (a nice change from the oldest versions of the game), but he cannot pursue more than one tech at a time. Also, he cannot lose what he has gained.

Under the proposed new system, the player is given a choice of techs to research. He can control the pace of discovery; he can pursue more than one tech at a time and can switch emphasis between them. And he can lose what he has gained unless he deliberately pursues further projects.

So far so good. The new system preserves choice and even extends it.

On the other hand, notice just how little it actually changes in the player's experience. Right now the game has you "discovering" techs by investing in research, which sounds ridiculous. But that's just because of the name. So, everywhere in Civ where it says "discovering" just plug in the word "adopting." E.g., "Sire, which technology shall we adopt next?" The research process (all those lightbulbs you put in)? Why, that's just investing in order to adopt a tech--you know, figuring out what it is useful for. Once you've figured out its uses, then you've "adopted" it and can build those useful gizmos!

Even "discovering" (as we mean the term in this thread) can be retro-fitted onto the current system. When you adopt a new tech, you automatically "discover" successor techs--that's why they suddenly appear in the research queue! True, it's a "hard" relation and not a probabilistic one. But you're still "seeing" what your just-adopted tech might lead to.

In short, it seems like the "reinterpretation" of the current system would lead to 70&#37; of what we've been talking about in this thread. Is it silly to think that "Hunting" has to be discovered in 4000 BC? Yes, very. So don't think of it as being discovered. Think of it as a previous discovery (one that's been around for 100,000 years but that must be refined before you can draw the full benefits from its long-ago discovery.)

What am I saying? Only that we need to avoid making big changes whose only consequences could be realized by making cosmetic changes to the advisor alerts.

(Giving the player multiple techs to pursue while allowing the possibility of tech decay is a big change, and it extends choice. But right now I'm not sure the Discovery process, even with "soft prerequisites" or "eyeballs," is positioned to add anything fundamentally new.)

EDIT:

Let's think about this from the player's in-game perspective.

In Civ as it is currently configured. The player gets a message from his Science Advisor that says (basically): "Sir, we have discovered some new techs. Which of these discovered techs shall we direct all of our resources toward adopting?" After a few turns, he gets another message announcing that it has been adopted, along with this (implicit) message that adopting it has allowed him to discover another set of new techs; and again, which of his total set of discovered techs does he want to direct all of his resources toward adopting?

The new proposal, in rough form: The player gets a message form his Science Advisor that says (basically): "Sir, we have discovered a new tech. Shall we add it to the list of techs that we are directing resources toward adopting?" After a few turns, he gets another message announcing that one or more of his discovered techs have been adopted. He might also get a message announcing that some discovered techs have been abandoned.

The sole difference is that the player can divide his resources so as to research multiple techs. Is this a worthwhile change? That depends, at least in part, on the details of how it is realized. Here are the two live possibilities.

1. All discovered techs are available for research; if the player doesn't research them, they remain as live options, waiting for him to devote resources to them. In the extreme, he might decide to devote all his resources toward adopting one tech. (In fact why would he ever divide his resources? It just means he would forego the early adoption of one tech for the late adoption of two (or the still-later adoption of three). This is the perennial objection to the idea of multiple production queues.) If he pursues them one at a time, then his experience in the new system is, as a practical matter, indistinguishable from the current system. You might as well just keep the present system while changing the text files to replace the advisor's bothersome word "discovered" with "adopted."

2. All discovered techs are available for research, but those that don't get funds can vanish and would have to be discovered all over again. What is the player's optimal strategy? It would depend, in part, on which techs were available, but a beginning player would likely split his resources so as to maintain all of them&#8212;who wants to lose a discovery?

a. If the discoveries continue to accumulate faster than he can adopt them, his research pace will slow to a crawl, ending in him having to forego some and cutting others. Eventually, he would realize that his optimal strategy is to maintain only a few while letting the rest lapse. And if he has to gamble on discovering the lapsed again? That's a frustration.

(Someone tell me I'm wrong; but in the earlier versions of Civ, didn't some discoveries "lapse" in the sense that they didn't always appear as possible research projects when the advisor asked you what to research next? Wasn't there much rejoicing when the design team got rid of this? Wouldn't a system in which techs under research could lapse just be a return to that system?)

b. If the discoveries accumulate more slowly than the adoptions, then the number of projects on his research screen would gradually dwindle to one. This would end in the absurd situation I've satirized as the Science Advisor pop-up "Ha ha! Die roll says you'll be getting Democracy as your next advance! You gonna go for it fast or slow, fat boy?"

Tentative conclusion: Discovery and Transcendence are the key elements that have to be figured out. The intervening Adoption process is so close to the original that it might as well be left unchanged.

YIKES, a lot has been going on in here while I've been busy in the Discovery thread :undecide:

It'll take me a while to go through everything, but real quick:
The purpose of the adoption system is two fold:
1) Historical flavor
2) Since the attached discovery system removes a lot of prerequisites, the adoption system is there to prevent a player from getting a lot of advanced techs early in the game. Mathematics has no prereqs, Monarchy has only a couple of influencers, etc. If you don't have some sort of adoption system, then you have to make the discovery phase more entangled with prereqs otherwise the luckiest player (in terms of tech pops) wins.

slow to a crawl, ending in him having to forego some and cutting others. Eventually, he would realize that his optimal strategy is to maintain only a few while letting the rest lapse. And if he has to gamble on discovering the lapsed again? That's a frustration.

(Someone tell me I'm wrong; but in the earlier versions of Civ, didn't some discoveries "lapse" in the sense that they didn't always appear as possible research projects when the advisor asked you what to research next? Wasn't there much rejoicing when the design team got rid of this? Wouldn't a system in which techs under research could lapse just be a return to that system?)

In the current adoption system model, you only lose access to a tech from an age that you haven't reached yet. If you're in the classical age, you have the opportunity to adopt Iron Working once you've discovered it, regardless of whether it's sooner or later. For the more advanced techs, once you reach that age, you'll have the ability to adopt it. A discovered tech never needs to be rediscovered.

1. All discovered techs are available for research; if the player doesn't research them, they remain as live options, waiting for him to devote resources to them. In the extreme, he might decide to devote all his resources toward adopting one tech. (In fact why would he ever divide his resources? It just means he would forego the early adoption of one tech for the late adoption of two (or the still-later adoption of three). This is the perennial objection to the idea of multiple production queues.) If he pursues them one at a time, then his experience in the new system is, as a practical matter, indistinguishable from the current system. You might as well just keep the present system while changing the text files to replace the advisor's bothersome word "discovered" with "adopted."

Wow, you've really lost track of the system. I think you need to go back and re-read my posts, all of these situations have already been accounted for. In this case, through the use of negative modifiers and the time requirement for adoption.

One final word before I go back to work:

Without adoption, embrace (or as you call it, 'transcendance') is unnecessary.

I want to focus on something dh_epic mentioned at some point, and that's trade-offs.

This system was designed with trade-offs in mind. Here is what they are:

PRO> Fewer prereqs/more flexible tech tree
CON> Reduced control over which tech can be researched (i.e. the Discovery System)

PRO> Advanced techs can pop earlier
CON> You have to put additional research effort into using the tech (i.e. negative modifiers towards adoption)

PRO> Adoption system allows multiple tech focus for research investment
CON> You have to keep research into techs or risk losing it (i.e. Abandonment mechanism)

PRO> Embrace system allows you to stop putting research into a Tech
CON> Research applied towards Embrace is research that can't be used for Adoption

If you remove any of these aspects, PRO or CON, you have to remove its paired aspect otherwise you've created an imbalanced game.

Top Bottom