Virote's Poser Questions Thread

Virote_Considon

The Great Dictator
So, I've got a few (probably very) easy-to-answer questions about Poser, and I'll just stick to this thread for now.

1. Poses

1. I've made my animation, how do I turn it into a pose? Answered by CamJH, Post #2 :thanx:

2. I'm having trouble applying a pose. The feet half disappear and they also move to the side, along with the footwear, and seem to be unconnected with the rest of the PDM. Answered myself :blush:

2. UV Maps

1. When/What/Where/Why? Seriously, I know nothing about them. I don't know how to apply them, how to make/edit them, when to make/edit/apply them. Nothing about them, really.

Poses:
To add a pose to your library, just hit the "+" button. (I usually make sure I have Figure/PDM>Body selected when I do this, just to make sure everything is added).

Sounds like you're having problems with IK. Make sure they're turned on for both feet (pretty much at all times). When you're applying a pose, also make sure you have the main figure (PDM) selected, not one of the other clothing figures.

Maps:
Use them to add patterns/designs to figures and props. I use the UVmapper found in Kinboat's signature.

Thanks, Cam :)

On the UV Maps, what I really want to know is how do I use the UV mapper, and how do I apply said maps? For example, can I just load the relevant poser file into the UV mapper, or do I have to export everything I want to map, object by object?

1.1) Select the object whose movements you want to save (probably the PDM). Open the Poses library. Click on the litte "+" at the bottom. You will have the option to save a single-frame pose or a multi-frame animation. Simple!

2.1) Select the object you want to apply a map to, and open the Materials Room. There are several colour indices, and you want Diffuse Color, in the top left. This is the "basic" colour of the object. The box immediately under the name has the basic colour, and the larger square box under that is for applying bitmaps. Basically, the bitmap is superimposed over the basic colour. This means that if you are using one, you will normally want the Diffuse Color to be white. Load an image by clicking on the square box. For example:

You can load any image, so try a few and see what effects you get. Basically, there are two sorts of images you can apply. The first is where you have an image that is some kind of pattern or texture, and you just apply it and see how it looks. For example, you might have an image of chain mail, and you can apply that to pretty much anything and hope it looks good. The textures that come with Poser are like this.

The second way is if you have an image that is designed specifically for one prop or figure. You use UVMapper to create a bitmap based on the object, and this basically tells you where on the image you should paint for it to appear where you want on the object.

It's probably simpler to show this than explain it. Kinboat's Kilt 4, for example, generates this image when you put it through UVMapper:

So this means you can paint in those areas on the image and know that they will appear in the right place on the object, like this:

[EDIT] Double cross-post! Ah well...

Thanks, Cam :)

On the UV Maps, what I really want to know is how do I use the UV mapper, and how do I apply said maps? For example, can I just load the relevant poser file into the UV mapper, or do I have to export everything I want to map, object by object?
I think so. It is described in Utah's tutorial. UV Mapper is easy to use, just play a little with the options and you'll get it. The difficult part is to make a correct map with Photoshop or Paintshop.
EDIT: crosspost with Plotinus. Man, you're fast!

Thanks, guys!

If I wanted to Apply a UV map to some primitives, or something that I've resized, what do I do then? Is that where I have to group into objects and export? Or is there an easier way?

UV mapping only works if the object and map are both saved out of the same application.

So to UV map a ball (sphere), you must load the object into your mapping program. Select the type of mapping you want. Save the object and then save the map.

You must then import this mapped object into Poser. Since the mapping (and MAP/TEMPLATE) is unique to that particular object.

Once you save your map, you can use it as a template and load that as your texture. Be sure to paint over all the black lines when you create your texture. But, you do not have to paint between the lines. But only the details between the lines will be used.

Resizing does not effect mapping. Since it is based on the internal (relative) coordinates of the object. ie: this pixel of the map covers this portion of the object, no matter how large that space is.

:bump:

A new question. I'm trying to apply a texture over one face of a primitive. Unfortunately, to apply a texture to this primitive, it has to be applied to every face, like so:

I can't seem to find a way of making this texture apply to just the front of the object. Does anyone know how I could do this?

Are you referring to the shield? That seems to be the only primitive. A cylinder?

Here's my suggestion: give the back of the shield a different material. Use the grouping tool to assign the polygons making up the back of the shield to a new group. Then, change the materials section to make the back look like you want it to look.

Ah, thanks, that did the trick!

I hadn't realized before that you could use the grouping tool to select individual polygons in such a way... :)

You're welcome. Glad I could help. :)

One thing I like to use that for is when I can't make any entire body part invisible—for example, a forearm when the wrist needs to be visible—but a section of the body part pokes through some clothing. Then I just select the polygons underneath the clothing and assign them to a new material, which is then made invisible. I'll do the same thing if I want to shorten a sleeve or kilt.

Top Bottom