Bug Reporting

I'm already running the game as administrator.

BTS version: 3.19
BUG version: 4.3
Installation source: *.exe
Installation method: single player (Perhaps I should try installing it as multiplayer also? Can I do that without breaking the single player install?)
No other mods being used.

I don't think there's anything unsusual about my setup; the only thing I can think of is me running 1280x800 but the bug is there in 1024*768 also.

See the attached log files (had to rename them .txt to upload here)

Thanks for your help : )

-Beaver

Attachments

• PythonDbg.txt
    155.4 KB · Views: 77
  • PythonErr.txt
    239 bytes · Views: 77
Weird, I have never seen that error with PEDIA_TECH. That definition is from the original code, so I wonder why it would be broken for you. This shouldn't be causing the problem with the fonts, but I cannot discount anything at this point.

Did you double-check that you are running 3.19 by using the ABOUT THIS BUILD screen from the ADVANCED menu?

Yup, double checked, it's 3.19. And 4.3 BUG.

Another error, probably unrelated:
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/7749/civ4screenshot0003.jpg

I can't see the numbers on the "glance" screen, and there's only a tiny box to hoover in order too see the pop up info window (like in the screenshot).

I'm gonna give it a go and re-install civ once more, then use the "multiplayer" install of BUG to see if it makes any difference.

Yup, double checked, it's 3.19. And 4.3 BUG.

I knew this problem had popped up very recently (the previous times it was a year or two ago). The cause turned out to be that Bugg123 had a non-standard character (Ø) in their user name. Is this the case with you?

The solution is laid out in my reply: create a new folder for BTS to use outside of your My Documents / My Games user account area.

Yup, that did it! Never figured my name, "Björn", would get me into computer problems:) Had some problems at first but then I just moved the entire My Games folder to another place and it worked out nicely.

Thanks for your help!

-CivBeaver aka Björn

There are differences in "BULL Misc Hovers Options.xml" between the .zip and .exe version of 4.3. The .exe version is missing some XML keys which will be apparent when you go into the BUG options screen.

Same goes for "BULL Actions Options.xml"

Yup, that did it! Never figured my name, "Björn", would get me into computer problems:)

The really weird thing is that Civ4 finds all the other files BUG places into the My Games folder--just not that one font file. :confused:

There are differences in "BULL Misc Hovers Options.xml" between the .zip and .exe version of 4.3. The .exe version is missing some XML keys which will be apparent when you go into the BUG options screen.

Same goes for "BULL Actions Options.xml"

Can you please describe where the missing items appear? I ZIPped up the same folder that I used to build the EXE, so this is very odd. If you can tell me the part of the missing key after TXT_KEY_BUG that would be even better, or post a screenshot. Thanks for the report.

I think it was these Keys. I just fixed it and went on. Sorry I didn't document it better. I should add that I dropped the BULL 1.1 dll into BUG 4.3. Otherwise I probably would not have seen this.

<!-- Leaderhead -->

<TEXT>
<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUG_OPT_MISCHOVER__LEADERHEADHIDDENATTITUDE_TEXT</Tag>
<English>Hidden Attitude</English>
<French>Hidden Attitude</French>
<German>Hidden Attitude</German>
<Italian>Hidden Attitude</Italian>
<Spanish>Hidden Attitude</Spanish>
</TEXT>
<TEXT>
<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUG_OPT_MISCHOVER__LEADERHEADHIDDENATTITUDE_HOVER</Tag>
<English>When checked, displays the hidden attitude modifiers (possibly spoiler).</English>
<French>When checked, displays the hidden attitude modifiers (possibly spoiler).</French>
<German>When checked, displays the hidden attitude modifiers (possibly spoiler).</German>
<Italian>When checked, displays the hidden attitude modifiers (possibly spoiler).</Italian>
<Spanish>When checked, displays the hidden attitude modifiers (possibly spoiler).</Spanish>
</TEXT>

<TEXT>
<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUG_OPT_MISCHOVER__LEADERHEADWORSTENEMY_TEXT</Tag>
<English>Worst Enemy</English>
<French>Worst Enemy</French>
<German>Erzfeind</German>
<Italian>Worst Enemy</Italian>
<Spanish>Worst Enemy</Spanish>
</TEXT>
<TEXT>
<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUG_OPT_MISCHOVER__LEADERHEADWORSTENEMY_HOVER</Tag>
<English>When checked, the worst enemy of each AI rival is shown in the hover text for their icon.</English>
<French>When checked, the worst enemy of each AI rival is shown in the hover text for their icon.</French>
<German>Zeigt den Erzfeind jedes Gegenspielers an, wenn der Mauszeiger über desssen Symbol bewegt wird</German>
<Italian>When checked, the worst enemy of each AI rival is shown in the hover text for their icon.</Italian>
<Spanish>When checked, the worst enemy of each AI rival is shown in the hover text for their icon.</Spanish>
</TEXT>

<TEXT>
<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUG_OPT_MISCHOVER__LEADERHEADDEFENSIVEPACTS_TEXT</Tag>
<English>Defensive Pacts</English>
<French>Defensive Pacts</French>
<German>Verteidigungsbündnisse</German>
<Italian>Defensive Pacts</Italian>
<Spanish>Defensive Pacts</Spanish>
</TEXT>
<TEXT>
<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUG_OPT_MISCHOVER__LEADERHEADDEFENSIVEPACTS_HOVER</Tag>
<English>When checked, the defensive pacts of each rival are shown in the hover text for their icon.</English>
<French>When checked, the defensive pacts of each rival are shown in the hover text for their icon.</French>
<German>Zeigt die Verteidigungsbündnisse jedes Gegenspielers an, wenn der Mauszeiger über desssen Symbol bewegt wird</German>
<Italian>When checked, the defensive pacts of each rival are shown in the hover text for their icon.</Italian>
<Spanish>When checked, the defensive pacts of each rival are shown in the hover text for their icon.</Spanish>
</TEXT>

<TEXT>
<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUG_OPT_MISCHOVER__BUILDINGADDITIONALDEFENSE_TEXT</Tag>
<English>City Defense</English>
<French>City Defense</French>
<German>Stadtverteidigung</German>
<Italian>Difesa citt&#224;</Italian>
<Spanish>City Defense</Spanish>
</TEXT>
<TEXT>
<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUG_OPT_MISCHOVER__BUILDINGADDITIONALDEFENSE_HOVER</Tag>
<English>When checked, displays the buildings that will affect the [ICON_DEFENSE] of the city and from bombardment and by how much.</English>
<French>When checked, displays the buildings that will affect the [ICON_DEFENSE] of the city and from bombardment and by how much.</French>
<German>Zeigt die Gebäude an, die Einfluss auf [ICON_DEFENSE] einer Stadt und ihren Schutz gegen Bomabardierungen haben und welchen genau</German>
<Italian>Quando è selezionato, vengono visualizzati gli edifici che influenzano la natalità dei Grandi Personaggi ([ICON_DEFENSE]) e l'ammontare con cui lo fanno.</Italian>
<Spanish>When checked, displays the buildings that will affect the [ICON_DEFENSE] of the city and from bombardment and by how much.</Spanish>
</TEXT>

<!-- Ask Declare War -->

<TEXT>
<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUG_OPT_ACTIONS__ASKDECLAREWARUNITS_TEXT</Tag>
<English>Offer to Declare War</English>
<French>Offer to Declare War</French>
<German>Kriegserklärung anbieten</German>
<Italian>Offer to Declare War</Italian>
<Spanish>Offer to Declare War</Spanish>
</TEXT>
<TEXT>
<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUG_OPT_ACTIONS__ASKDECLAREWARUNITS_HOVER</Tag>
<English>When checked, gives you the option to declare war when moving into a tile containing a rival unit. Always gives the option when moving into rival territory without open borders.</English>
<French>When checked, gives you the option to declare war when moving into a tile containing a rival unit. Always gives the option when moving into rival territory without open borders.</French>
<German>Bietet bei Betreten eines Geländefeldes die Möglichkeit einer Kriegserklärung an, wenn sich auf diesem eine gegnerische Einheit befindet (wird bei Betreten eines gegnerischen Geländefeldes ohne Vertrag über Offene Grenzen immer abgefragt)</German>
<Italian>When checked, gives you the option to declare war when moving into a tile containing a rival unit. Always gives the option when moving into rival territory without open borders.</Italian>
<Spanish>When checked, gives you the option to declare war when moving into a tile containing a rival unit. Always gives the option when moving into rival territory without open borders.</Spanish>
</TEXT>

I think this started with the inclusion of VD 7.5. We'll be working to eliminate the problem in the next BAT release.

That it forgets your Windowed Mode setting is very strange. Does it forget your other INI settings as well?

Hello

I have now installed the Patch, but the game tends to crash when I elect to return to main main, or when the game attempts to return to the main menu after I retire. Otherwise the game seems to be running ok.

I notice that this problem has happened to others. Was this supposed to be fixed with the patch? If it was, I'm just letting you know that - at least for me - it is still a problem.

No, this is a problem with Varietas Delectat which is included in BAT. IIRC, Lemon Merchant has corrected the problem for the next major BAT release. The patch addresses only the crashes that made it so you couldn't continue certain saved games. You can exit to desktop to avoid crashing in the interim.

I installed BUG 4.3, and the PLE buttons are missing from my main screen. I see them fine in BAT 2.1 though. I have everything as a separate mod, all under the Mods directory under Program Files/ except for BAT in the My Games/ one. I'm running Windows XP Pro as an administrator.

First I did a clean install of BTS, patched it to 3.19, and then installed all the mods. I used the "don't share BAT with BUG" option. Then I tried uninstalling all the mods and reinstalling. I also tried fuyu's Better BUG AI r39, but that had the same problem. One weird symptom I noticed was that if I tried installing BUG 4.3 and then BAT 2.1 with the Standard installation, then after launching BAT then BUG then BAT again, the PLE buttons were then missing in BAT. So that seems to indicate that something weird is going on with the BUG user settings.

I'll be happy to post my .ini and .log files if you can suggest which ones and what to try beforehand.

Thanks, and BTW this mod looks amazing---you've sure been doing a lot while I was taking a Civ break!!

Did you make sure Drawing Method is set to PLE ? As you suggested, this is merely an issue with defaults for PLE usersettings (afaik).

I do remember trying that just for kicks, and nothing changed. I also left it set to the default BUG in BAT 2.1, and it behaved according to the BUG functionality description there. But I will try again to make sure when I get home this evening.

Did you make sure Drawing Method is set to PLE ? As you suggested, this is merely an issue with defaults for PLE usersettings (afaik).

Awesome, this worked---thanks! It turns out I was toggling Filter Behavior before, not Draw Method.

After searching for a bit in this subforum, I did not find my problem mentioned. When trying to install the Patch over a freshly installed BAT Mod, the install button stays greyed out no matter what I try. The detected install directory is "C:\Users\***\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\MODS\BAT Mod 2.1" with *** an alphanumeric username, and it is the correct directory.

I try to install the patch with Windows 7, BtS 3.19, and BAT 2.1. I do run the patch in administrator mode, and I tried the compatibility modes for XP SP3 and Vista SP2 to no visible effect.

Meanwhile, I cut and pasted the two files mentioned to be deleted (Varietas Delectat and Cultural Citystyles) out of the BAT Mod - directory, but that hasn't solved it, either -- I still can't patch.

Has someone had this problem and solved it? I would guess it is trivial after understanding the problem, but since I cannot manage to do that, I'd love a little help.

EDIT: I also rebooted and copied the Patch-Executable to the partition where my BAT Mod - installation is located. No luck after either of those.

Attachments

• install.png
    install.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 75
  • compatibility options.png
    compatibility options.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 77
After searching for a bit in this subforum, I did not find my problem mentioned. When trying to install the Patch over a freshly installed BAT Mod, the install button stays greyed out no matter what I try. The detected install directory is "C:\Users\***\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\MODS\BAT Mod 2.1" with *** an alphanumeric username, and it is the correct directory.

I try to install the patch with Windows 7, BtS 3.19, and BAT 2.1. I do run the patch in administrator mode, and I tried the compatibility modes for XP SP3 and Vista SP2 to no visible effect.

Meanwhile, I cut and pasted the two files mentioned to be deleted (Varietas Delectat and Cultural Citystyles) out of the BAT Mod - directory, but that hasn't solved it, either -- I still can't patch.

Has someone had this problem and solved it? I would guess it is trivial after understanding the problem, but since I cannot manage to do that, I'd love a little help.

EDIT: I also rebooted and copied the Patch-Executable to the partition where my BAT Mod - installation is located. No luck after either of those.
There are a couple of things that you could try.

- In the section with the folder destination highlighted in blue (in your first screenie), click in that blue highlighted area so that the highlight goes away. Does the install button light up then?

- Use the browse function in the installer and doublecheck that it really is pointing at your proper install directory.

- When "running as administrator", Windows doesn't always listen to the properties assignment to run as admin. Sometimes, you need to force it by right clicking, and then choosing run as admin. It's stupid, but it sometimes just works that way. It's most likely a file permissions issue.

- Look at the properties screen for the patch with Explorer and make sure that the patch file is "Unblocked". That's a new Windows 7 weirdness that keeps files from misbehaving. Especially downloaded ones.

I ran that patch more than twenty times on my own machine while making the installer, and I tested it on every machine in our flat (that makes 5 in total - 3 Win 7 and 2 Vista machines, some 32 bit and some 64), and not one of them had the problem that you're having. I'm sorry, but I can't re-create it here. Keep trying though, you'll get it. :)

There are a couple of things that you could try.

- In the section with the folder destination highlighted in blue (in your first screenie), click in that blue highlighted area so that the highlight goes away. Does the install button light up then?

- Use the browse function in the installer and doublecheck that it really is pointing at your proper install directory.

- When "running as administrator", Windows doesn't always listen to the properties assignment to run as admin. Sometimes, you need to force it by right clicking, and then choosing run as admin. It's stupid, but it sometimes just works that way. It's most likely a file permissions issue.

- Look at the properties screen for the patch with Explorer and make sure that the patch file is "Unblocked". That's a new Windows 7 weirdness that keeps files from misbehaving. Especially downloaded ones.

I ran that patch more than twenty times on my own machine while making the installer, and I tested it on every machine in our flat (that makes 5 in total - 3 Win 7 and 2 Vista machines, some 32 bit and some 64), and not one of them had the problem that you're having. I'm sorry, but I can't re-create it here. Keep trying though, you'll get it. :)

Unfortunately, none of these did the trick yet. Thank you very much for your help, though!

One thing I forgot to report: Even the "OK" Button in the installer's browse function gets greyed out after like half a second. Before that, it is clickable (and seems to work, though I did not successfully change the directory within that short time). But the directory is the right one, anyway.

The "Install" Button is grey instantly, though. I also tried downloading the file again via Windows, but that was also not the problem. Before, I downloaded it using Linux and then rebooted, so it was automatically "unblocked".

Are the files available somewhere without an exe (as a zip archive or so)? If I got that right, I would only have to overwrite some of the files and remove the two FPKs to install the patch. Unfortunately, I only found the installer so far.

Are the files available somewhere without an exe (as a zip archive or so)? If I got that right, I would only have to overwrite some of the files and remove the two FPKs to install the patch. Unfortunately, I only found the installer so far.
The files aren't available by themselves, sorry. :(

Take heart, though, I'm doing my best to push out BAT 2.2 this weekend (Fingers crossed). Hopefully, you won't have this weird installation problem with the new release.

Stay tuned. :)

The files aren't available by themselves, sorry. :(

Take heart, though, I'm doing my best to push out BAT 2.2 this weekend (Fingers crossed). Hopefully, you won't have this weird installation problem with the new release.

Stay tuned. :)

That's nice to hear. I look forward to it!

If the files are also published as a zip file, there will be no problem.

That's nice to hear. I look forward to it!

If the files are also published as a zip file, there will be no problem.
Good suggestion. I'll make a zip file as well. :)

Top Bottom