Total breakdown after capital falls (= empty cities)

Here's a game I'm currently playing where the Chinese AI broke down completely after it's capital fell. I do not kknow what exactly happened, but from then on the two towns I took that where outside my view during the taking of the capital but not the one town that I already had units parked next to where empty when my troops approached it. Empty, and no unit next to them either.

The first town:
my army approached it and ended it's turn on the mountain. I did not kill any unit in the town.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads2/emptytown1.zip

and the second one:

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads2/emptytown2.zip

has anyone encountered this before????

Using 1.16, my GF had a game where two civs wouldn't produce anything at all. We used the multi-cheat to check - the build box was empty. nothing was being built, although all units and buildings that should have been in the queue were available.....

I've not encountered this before but maybe they're trying to sim the chaos in the aftermath of the fall of the capital (i.e. central govt). :)

Anyway, personally, I think the fall of the capital probably put a big dent in the AI's revenue and so, it's disbanded a few units to make it up. Just happens those units are in those two empty cities.

Originally posted by Knight-Dragon
I've not encountered this before but maybe they're trying to sim the chaos in the aftermath of the fall of the capital (i.e. central govt). :)

Anyway, personally, I think the fall of the capital probably put a big dent in the AI's revenue and so, it's disbanded a few units to make it up. Just happens those units are in those two empty cities.

all remaining units????? That where the last two towns..... they may have had very expensive deals running though.....

same thing later on with a Greman city... but here I watched what happened: their last unit was a Longbowman. he attacked the Knights parked next to the city and died.

BUT: if that is what happened to China - why didn't the foe take the towns????? :confused:

here it is - as I said they used the last unit for an attack. the interesting thing is - what in the world would now stop me from taking that town :confused: What.....?

Cool.

I think there should be SOME kind of damage to civ when it loses its capital, not just a switch. I always thought that was pretty stupid. Maybe, instead of an instant switch, they would have to build a new capital, or their civ would have tons of corruption for a while? After all, what if all the leaders died/were captured?:confused:

There has to be some kind of penalty!

I experienced a similar occurence a long time ago (probably under v1.07). Japan had been engaged in many long wars. I shared a small border with Japan, and decided to put them out of their misery by taking their last 4 or 5 towns shortly after they had made peace. Every single one of them was empty and the Japanese apparently had no units whatsoever. I was pretty new to the game and didn't know what to make of it. With the knowledge gleaned from far too much civving since then, I can still only come up with two rational explanations: (1) a bug; and (2) the AI proclivity for self-destructing under communism under early versions combined with perhaps some gpt deals literally bankrupted them and left them with terminally unhappy cities (due to pop-rushing / drafting). Don't recall if I investigated cities to check on shield generation and build storgae boxes.

Originally posted by cgannon64
Cool.

I think there should be SOME kind of damage to civ when it loses its capital, not just a switch. I always thought that was pretty stupid. Maybe, instead of an instant switch, they would have to build a new capital, or their civ would have tons of corruption for a while? After all, what if all the leaders died/were captured?:confused:

There has to be some kind of penalty!

I have always advocated the following>

a) the victorious civ gets a Courthouse in the captured city for free. This is because it can use the mid-level bureaucracy of the former owner

b) the looser civ gets a new 'semi-Palace' that has only 50% of the efffectiveness of the original one. This is because of the lowered effectiveness of an emergency government.

c) the replacement palace can be 'upgraded' then next turn for cash - at half a normal Palaces price or by building a half-price palace in that city.
if the palce is built in a different city, it comes at normal price.

Not exactly the same, but I once had a similar experience:
After taking the Indian capital with my very last archer who was down to 1 hp, I noticed a 'stack of doom' of horsemen 2 squares away. Instead of attacking the exhausted archer in the AI turn the stack remained where it was and didn't even move to intercept any of my other units. These other units proceeded to take more Indian towns which had 'inactive' units stationed nearby. It appears that the Indian military had downed tools and gone on strike!
Not that I'm complaining or anything.

PS - After I was satisfied with my conquest campaign and made peace these units started moving again. I guess they were dissatisfied with their government and refused to fight. (Well I would like to think it was a game design rather than a glitch - in which case it should affect the human player too.)

If the Civ as relying on traded luxes for resources then the capturing of the Capital likely put it ino a big deficit because it would have to switch citizens to entertainers also its likely they lost gpt and were using it to float the balance, Its possible that the Garrison was disbanded due to the deficit spending.

OK, Tsingtoa, the Chinese second town, is OK, producing three and getting three tax per turn, two beakers, zero lux. no unhappiness whatsoever.

Ninking is close to finisheing a Spearman (why wasn't it rushed??????). income of 1, 1 beaker. at the same time, Tsingtao is size 1 and happily producing an Archer. it seems that the AIs simply move all units out of the cities if they are out of defenders.... They should leave an attacker in as defender, and produce a defender right away - but they don't!

Very strange. I've never seen anything like that.

This discussion reminds me of Civ2 (or was it Civ1?) -I haven't played it for a loooooong time, but I remember that in some circumstances taking the enemy capital would cause the civ to actually break in two. Even that was not too common (only happened a few times in my games).

I loved that idea. A pity it is not in Civ3

Yes, that was great. I don't know why they didn't keep it, although it has come up here before, so someone will know.

Top Bottom