2014 NCAA Football Thread

Jon Solomon -- the al.com reporter who I often link to for news about the financial side of the sport -- will be moving on to the CBS site at the end of this month :(

Good hire. CBS needed a solid guy to replace Feldman, and Solomon does good work.

Which is why I'll miss him :(

Anyway, we've discovered Tosh Lupoi's role with Alabama this year -- he's an intern. It's good to be the king :D

my coworker just interviewed a few SEC bagman, and explained exactly how cheating works. It's an awesome read.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/4/10/5594348/college-football-bag-man-interview
My favorite quote ever about paying players was when someone asked Gene Stallings about the Albert Means scandal. His response was something along the lines of "Wherever there's that much smoke there's bound to be a little bit of fire, but $300,000 seems like a lot to pay for a defensive player." So much subtext there . . .

EDIT: Oh, and Tenpenny's charges will be dismissed if he stays out of trouble for the next year . . .

And speaking of Jon Solomon, here's a bit he did on Pell Grants for athletes at Alabama's state schools. Who is going to do all this for me when he's gone :cry:

my coworker just interviewed a few SEC bagman, and explained exactly how cheating works. It's an awesome read.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/4/10/5594348/college-football-bag-man-interview

As entertaining as the article was, the 42 minute interview at the end was a lot more informative. If you don't have 42 minutes, here is a 14 minute interview he did on local radio today. It sounds like he called in on a tin can and twine, but if you can boost the audio it's worth it . . .

In other news, Alabama transfer del Rio is eligible to play immediately at Oregon State. A redshirt freshman, he's competing for the back up spot this year . . .

And DGB is done at Mizzou . . .

Tenpenny got the most carries in the scrimmage again today, though nobody ran worth a crap. Which I guess is good, since I've got a lot more confidence in our RBs than our D-line. Unless it means our O-line is crap. Hmm . . .

Luke del Rio discusses his departure from Alabama and differences between Tuscaloosa and Corvallis . . .

And ESPN has a summary of how the new playoff system is going to work. The big news for me is that there is going to be about a week and a half between the semifinals and the final. I thought they were playing them on back to back weekends, and I thought that was the biggest mistake they had made so far . . .

EDIT: Also interesting to me: The playoff committee will release a top 25, but of course will not be bound to include the top four in the playoffs, nor to seed them according to the ranking . . .

That's just asking for controversy. Maybe they like it that way.

Well, there's no reason to think they won't pick their top four teams and seed them 1-4. I'm just saying they don't have to. What seems more likely to me is that they would rank their top 25 with an eye towards how they want their bowls populated, which would only serve to highlight discrepancies between their rankings and the AP or coaches' polls :dunno:

OTOH, there's no reason to think they won't get it right, either. I suppose I should wait for them to drop the ball before I go off on a tangent :p

Like I've said before, the playoff may not be an improvement over the BCS as far as picking a national champion, but I don't think it's going to be much worse and it should be better at getting good matchups in the 'also ran' bowls . . .

Since UCF will be my home for at least the next two years, GO GOLDEN KNIGHTS!!!

A&M and Kentucky both lost a QB to transfers this week. I wonder if McLeod will transfer from 'Bama once the spring game is over . . .

A&M and Kentucky both lost a QB to transfers this week. I wonder if McLeod will transfer from 'Bama once the spring game is over . . .

I am happy for Matt Joeckel making this decision. He graduates this May, and he really may not win the starting job, as Kyle Allen is looking really good. Very Showers-esque kind of transfer move when Johnny Manziel won the starting job. He will be able to play right away and he is a good QB. I am sure QB needy teams will be lining up for his services here soon.

Agreed, shame he couldn't carry on the Joeckel legacy but we'll always have the first half of Rice to remember :p

Bad news for Tenpenny. He missed class or something because he and Kenyan Drake had to sit out the last practice of the spring to go to Saban-enforced study hall. It's not usually a good idea to get on his bad side when there's that much depth at your position . . .

Joeckel lands at TCU, who recently lost their backup to a transfer. It's like the coaching carousel ! ! !

Puff piece on Jacob Coker as he waits to join the QB competition at 'Bama. I'm a little surprised Sims has distanced himself from the pack as much as he has. I wonder what the dynamic will be like with Coker on campus for a couple of months before organized practices start . . .

UAB has cancelled their spring game due to bad weather. Not rescheduled, cancelled. It's almost difficult to believe that they take their football program seriously . . .

EDIT: Just listened to Greg McElroy on local radio for the first time since he got the SEC Network gig and I've got to say he's got a surprisingly great broadcaster's voice. Like Rick Astley reincarnated :snicker:

Barrett Jones interview on local radio. It's long -- half an hour -- but he's a bright, insightful guy and he had some interesting things to say including about how Shabazz Napier could go to sleep hungry at a major DI program . . .

Top Bottom