The official Gotm18 "I can't find it ..." thread

solodar

Chieftain
edit: never mind, emailed cracker and he provided the solution. Ah, quick and responsive software support for a (free!) product! Such a joy ...

solodar

Solodar,
I think it would be more effective if you sent Cracker an e-mail or a PM about your problem. He is surely going to do all he can to help you sort it out.
On the other hand, he tends not to encourage people to post in the forum about these things... ;)

I cant find the game. I downloaded the PTW from the site; made the changes; but I cant find the game. Im sure Im doing something wrong, I'd appreciate the advice. Thanks

Originally posted by kojimanard
I cant find the game. I downloaded the PTW from the site; made the changes; but I cant find the game. Im sure Im doing something wrong, I'd appreciate the advice. Thanks

Little hint from the Download Instructions page:

"Please read and follow the instructions in the readme.txt files that are included with your game download pack before you attempt to load and play the game."

I need help. Every time I try to access the web page to download the special features, the squid and the volcano, the page closes on me. I cannot download these. Without them the game does not load. Can someone help me? If you can send me the files, that would be great. Bprax@aol.com

They're on their way!

Thanks. I cannot tell you how grateful I am.

I have those files. I need the files from game 16 and 17. the volcano and the squid files, the game will not let me start without them. IF any has them please send them to Bprax@aol.com

Ok give me a minute.

Once I get them, where do I put them?

Originally posted by RufRydyr
Maybe we need a new thread: How to install GOTM or how to read a readme.txt or something.

It's surprising how neat and easy it is to send a private message to one of the GOTM staff if you have a problem. An update of the FAQ with members of the GOTM team may be wise though, since Cracker isn't hovering around theese quarters 24/7(I assume :) ).

On another note I am now opening my save since I will have some spare time in the coming weekend. I plan to make my first 150 or so rounds with as few interruptions as possible.

I'm going in:)

Originally posted by Singularity

It's surprising how neat and easy it is to send a private message to one of the GOTM staff if you have a problem. An update of the FAQ with members of the GOTM team may be wise though, since Cracker isn't hovering around theese quarters 24/7(I assume :) ).

Good idea to publish the GOTM Staff for all newcomers. As the originator of this idea which option would you prefer?

1. A FAQ question raised by you asking “Who are the GOTM Staff members?”, or

2. A section at the bottom of the “Player’s Section” web page for “Laji” who are a group that oversee the entire monastery.

Your choice.

[ I'm going in.

I also intend to start this weekend. Good luck.

I did PM one of the staff but never heard back.

And to Rufryder, I did read the readme text, but could not open the page to download the old files I need, so being able to read had no effect on my problem. It seemed to be a problem with the server.

Now on to a related item, after I installed the GOTM 18, the added software has alter the graphics of all my other new games. I am getting maps where EVERY desert and plains square has a bonus shield. How do I undo these changes?

I think that's under preferences, something like 'show food and shields on map'. Look for something like that and toggle it off.

Renata

I did not mean that the actual blue shield was showing, meant that it had one of those little bonus shields things on each of the squares.

I still think we're talking about the same thing. Check it out, anyway.

Renata

@BretP Renata's suggestion was correct for your problem, and he understood what you meant. There is a preference that will display a gray dot (the BG stone) and a green dot on every tile to indicate at a glance how much food and shields are there. This preference was set in the GOTM18 SAV file. Normally, I play with this preference (Show Food and Sheilds on Mpa) turned off. Go to preferences (Ctrl+P) and unclick the Show Food and Shields on Map check box. This will stop displaying all but the BG sheild dots.

Sorry for the miscommunication. Thank you for your help, it was kind of freaking me out.

Originally posted by RufRydyr
Maybe we need a new thread: How to install GOTM or how to read a readme.txt or something.

I recently got back in civ3 a little and my brother has always been a fan, he gave up trying GOTM17, he is not a computer person by any stretch.
Have you guys ever given any thought to doing this with some sort of installer package? This is especially true for some of the mods which naturally are always placed in the same location. Add to that an easier method to uninstall it if need be. You can easily backup any files you replace (like the txt files). I am a computer person, and don't mind the work of coping these files manually, but I would rather not, I'm lazy, I'd rather an automated process that would properly backup files.

BTW the method firaxis used in PTW is silly, but something like that would work too, except not everyone uses PTW.

Top Bottom