CDG Series Discussion Thread

Not sure what map script I should use.
Any suggestions are welcome
I strongly recommend Terra Incognita with the following settings:
  1. Second continent must exist (seems like it gives the most interesting shape)
  2. Second continent is probably connected (so map might be Pangaea or Continents)
  3. Civs can start anywhere (most important, else you get a Terra map)
  4. High sea levels (else, there is too much land)
Otherwise something like "Have a Great Musician make a concert tour next to the rivers of Babylon" could do it
Sorry to be such a Philistine. Could you explain please?

ABBA are one of the 10 most famous bands in the world, easily. Anyone who hasn't heard of them doesn't know much about music. That said, they are not usually associated with that song, which is a traditional song. I'd say that Boney M are the main group to be associated with it.

ABBA's best known tracks are: Mamma Mia, Gimme Gimme Gimme, Dancing Queen, Knowing Me Knowing You, Thank You for the Music, etc.

In Europe, maybe, but not in the world.

Every American, Canadian, Australian, Kiwi, Korean, and Chinese person I've ever talked about them with has emphatically underlined their fame. I suspect that the demographic of this forum is completely unrepresentative of people in this respect.

Copy and paste from Wiki:

Spoiler :
During their active career, from 1972 to 1982, ABBA placed twenty singles on the Billboard Hot 100, fourteen of which made the top 40 (13 on the Cashbox Top 100) and ten of which made the Top 20 on both charts. A total of four of those singles reached the Top 10, including "Dancing Queen" which reached number-one in April 1977. While "Fernando" and "SOS" did not break the Top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, reaching number 13 and 15 respectively, they did reach the Top 10 on Cashbox ("Fernando") and Record World ("SOS") charts. Both "Dancing Queen" and "Take A Chance On Me" were certified gold by the Recording Industry Association of America for sales of over one million copies each.[69]

The group also had 12 Top 20 singles on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart with two of them, "Fernando" and "The Winner Takes It All", reaching number-one. "Lay All Your Love on Me" was ABBA's fourth number-one single on a Billboard chart, topping the Hot Dance Club Play chart. The singles "Dancing Queen" and "Take a Chance on Me" were certified gold (more than 1 million copies sold) by the RIAA.

Nine ABBA albums made their way into the top half of the Billboard 200 album chart, with seven of them reaching the Top 50 and four reaching the Top 20. ABBA: The Album was the highest-charting album of the group's career, peaking at No. 14. Five albums received RIAA gold certification (more than 500,000 copies sold), while three acquired platinum status (selling more than one million copies). In 1993, the ABBA Gold: Greatest Hits collection was released in the United States and has since become a seven-time platinum best-seller; it climbed to number-one on the Billboard Top Pop Catalog Albums chart and also peaked at number 11 on Billboard Comprehensive Albums chart.

On 15 March 2010, ABBA was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame by Bee Gees members Barry Gibb and Robin Gibb. The ceremony was held at The Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York City. The group was represented by Anni-Frid Lyngstad and Benny Andersson.[70]

Every American, Canadian, Australian, Kiwi, Korean, and Chinese person I've ever talked about them with has emphatically underlined their fame.
That's anecdotal evidence, though. By your profile, I assume you live somewhere in Europe, so even foreigners there might now a thing or two about ABBA, and especially if they are older. These days people know about, I dunno, Beyoncé? :scan:

Maxattack I like your achievements for Sweden. But I think gifting so many GP may be difficult. Also, becoming friends with everyone might be difficult on a continent map when one of the suggested VC is Dom. I also recalibrated the achievements to get a total of 20 points.
  • The Gift of Genius: Gift at least X Great People to CS
    a) 2 Great People 1pt
    b) 4 Great People 2pt
    c) 6 Great People 3pt
    d) 8 Great People 4pt
    e) 10 Great People 5pt
  • Hack On: get at least X Hakkapeliitta and keep them alive until the end of the game (they can be upgraded)
    a) 3 Hakkapeliitta 1pt
    b) 6 Hakkapeliitta 3pt
    c) 10 Hakkapeliitta 5pt
  • March On: train at least X Caroleans and keep them alive until the end of the game (they can be upgraded)
    a) 3 Caroleans 1pt
    b) 6 Caroleans 3pt
    c) 10 Caroleans 5pt
  • A Friend in Swede: at some point in the game be friends with X civilizations
    a) 1 Civilization 1pt
    b) 2 Civilization 2pt
    c) 3 Civilization 3pt
    d) 4 Civilization 4pt
  • Special: have a Hakkapeliitta with a stacked Great General take a city 1pt

Maxattack I like your achievements for Sweden. But I think gifting so many GP may be difficult. Also, becoming friends with everyone might be difficult on a continent map when one of the suggested VC is Dom. I also recalibrated the achievements to get a total of 20 points.
  • The Gift of Genius: Gift at least X Great People to CS
    a) 2 Great People 1pt
    b) 4 Great People 2pt
    c) 6 Great People 3pt
    d) 8 Great People 4pt
    e) 10 Great People 5pt
  • Hack On: get at least X Hakkapeliitta and keep them alive until the end of the game (they can be upgraded)
    a) 3 Hakkapeliitta 1pt
    b) 6 Hakkapeliitta 3pt
    c) 10 Hakkapeliitta 5pt
  • March On: train at least X Caroleans and keep them alive until the end of the game (they can be upgraded)
    a) 3 Caroleans 1pt
    b) 6 Caroleans 3pt
    c) 10 Caroleans 5pt
  • A Friend in Swede: at some point in the game be friends with X civilizations
    a) 1 Civilization 1pt
    b) 2 Civilization 2pt
    c) 3 Civilization 3pt
    d) 4 Civilization 4pt
  • Special: have a Hakkapeliitta with a stacked Great General take a city 1pt

That's fine with me ! I had a doubt on the scaling for A too and your version of D is clearly better !

If you guys are happy with Quayle's new set, I'll paste it into the OP.

Cheers beetle

There now remains only one map in the queue (Maxattack's France map).

FYI, the map will be posted on July 14. Partly because it's French National Day and partly because I won't be at home on July 15 ^^

At this point I have a few maps which could be suitable for the achievements but I'm entirely satisfied with none of them so I'll continue rolling. Do you guys want something really hard or something easier ?

EDIT : Oh and how do I edit the maps when I rolled them with all the DLC ?

Thanks very much Dan and Max!

I am back to thinking about Portugal and her Feitorias and how to make that UI really relevant.

So a game with Alex in for sure. Other CS competitive AIs as well. Probably small continents to make sure most CS are coastal.

The Feitorias work even if Portugal is at war with the CS. So I think the most interesting game would revolve around trying to exploit that. I have two ideas:
  1. Might a domination VC be a simple way to exploit the buff from Feitorias? I really struggle with Dom, but I am skeptical that the extra happy from Feitorias would even be noticeable! Am I wrong about that?

2. Is there any point being at war with CS if you don’t have to be? I was thinking maybe build the Feitorias then kill any CS with a Natural Wonder in their territory? That should cause the rest of the CS to DOW Portugal. So then maybe fill out Honor to reap gold from killing CS units for the rest of the game? Then look to a Freedom Spaceship Procurements SV for the end game. Does this sound plausible to people?
I don’t think the CDG have to be optimal game play, but the play should not aim for terrible. Is there a way to be at war with the CS that is not terrible?

And what is the closest VC to an “economic victory”? I would say that sounds like Diplo -- but Diplo is not compatible with being at war (let alone war only with the CS).

Thoughts? Does (1) or (2) sound much better than the other?

Max - you need to generate another map, with map packs disabled, that is identical settings to the other one - so same AI, terrain, etc.

Then, in a hex editor, cut the header from the good map and paste it over the header in the 'bad' map.

If you have trouble, send me a PM and I'll help.

Thanks very much Dan and Max!

I am back to thinking about Portugal and her Feitorias and how to make that UI really relevant.

So a game with Alex in for sure. Other CS competitive AIs as well. Probably small continents to make sure most CS are coastal.

The Feitorias work even if Portugal is at war with the CS. So I think the most interesting game would revolve around trying to exploit that. I have two ideas:
  1. Might a domination VC be a simple way to exploit the buff from Feitorias? I really struggle with Dom, but I am skeptical that the extra happy from Feitorias would even be noticeable! Am I wrong about that?

2. Is there any point being at war with CS if you don’t have to be? I was thinking maybe build the Feitorias then kill any CS with a Natural Wonder in their territory? That should cause the rest of the CS to DOW Portugal. So then maybe fill out Honor to reap gold from killing CS units for the rest of the game? Then look to a Freedom Spaceship Procurements SV for the end game. Does this sound plausible to people?
I don’t think the CDG have to be optimal game play, but the play should not aim for terrible. Is there a way to be at war with the CS that is not terrible?

And what is the closest VC to an “economic victory”? I would say that sounds like Diplo -- but Diplo is not compatible with being at war (let alone war only with the CS).

Thoughts? Does (1) or (2) sound much better than the other?

Feitorias are not that useful since CSes usually have the same 3-4 luxuries. Once you are allied with a few (and acquire the 3-4 lux), feitoras lose their usefulness. You could maybe edit the map to make them more useful by granting higher lux diversity to the CSes.
With the UA, you want to make cargo TR for a lot of gold. DoWing CSes however will guarantee that some random CS Caravel will pillage them.
If you could find an AI that likes to pillage feitoras (act of war) this could maybe turn into an interesting game. However, AIs in general have a tendency to rarely pillage in general unless their units have low HP.

Top Bottom