Fastest Science Victory

AFAIK there's no way to do it in the main tabs, but clicking on the number of entries for any given table will show you all the submissions for that setting and the finish turn numbers. Clicking on the player's name will take you to their game page with the general log and the 4 save files.

I advise you to use the ad-hoc query page here, it's the HoF search engine that displays both dates and turns, and it sorts the games by speed. I find it much more convenient to use than the main page tabs.

Thanks. That's what I was looking for.

Looks like St/St/Pangaea Domination on Immortal doesn't get much love.

I think I'll have a stab at submitting a bunch for those settings, also Darius on Deity.

I started playing a really nice game with Darius on Deity for the HoF. Had nearby Kili, 6/7 worker steals and 7 city NC by T90, but then it crashed, and frankly, I don't know if I can be bothered to go through the process of convincing the HoF team that I'm not a degenerate cheat. I think I will have to wait until I can afford a computer that runs this game without dying, and then start making HoF LPs and/or live-streaming.

@Consentiant Hurry up with that will you, love to watch your games to get more tips.

If you give me the $900 I need for a new laptop, I'll happily speed up my LP productions! :)

There is a prince HOF game here http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ5/game_info.php?entryID=10157 where the win is at turn 180 for a science victory. Quite impressive. The turn 180 save is incredible. 2000+ science per turn.

Looking at the logs and saves to see if I can learn something, I see where there are 3 cities by turn 45, 5 by turn 54 and 7 by turn 89.

According to the log, http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ5/game_info.php?show=generallog&entryID=10157, Nippur is founded on turn 54 and if you look at the save of turn 60 there is a Granary, Library, Monument and water mill in the city. None of them are free so they must have been bought, correct?

Also all 4 cities in the turn 60 save have these buildings also.

So what's the trick to getting the cities settled, with those pops and having all the stuff in the city by turn 60?

Thanks.

The trick would be to not care that much about one particular prince game. Really. Its an outlier .

As to the how then yes i guess those were probably bought with gold from things like pillaged caravans and cs trubutes.

This information is useful if you want the new record on prince. Not really if you want to know how to tackle an average game at tour hardest level

The trick would be to not care that much about one particular prince game. Really. Its an outlier .

As to the how then yes i guess those were probably bought with gold from things like pillaged caravans and cs trubutes.

This information is useful if you want the new record on prince. Not really if you want to know how to tackle an average game at tour hardest level

Thanks for the reply and all the videos and info that you post. I've been learning a lot from them.

I've been trying to get a sub 200 science victory and been watching your play. Getting close but still around turn 240 for the win at deity. I can get to the turn 100 Education but then I get bogged down. I guess I just need more focus in the mid-late game.

Your basis may also not be perfectly solid. T100 education is good only if your economy is still in full growth. T240 is still excellent in the world of civ to be honest. Sub 200 is a bit ambitious for now (I don't do it on an average game hey) but keep cutting corners as much as you can. Make sure you grow as much as possible, get culture CS+guilds to get through rationalism, etc.

Then it's also the end game that matters a lot. I've written a lot of how to in the freedom guide but really a perfect end game can cut down 10 turns easily.

Science benchmarks are not nearly as important as population benchmarks in my opinion.

If you have all expos out and a 15+ pop capital at T100 you know your game is going well.

Education on T100 doesn't really mean anything.. You're better off getting Edu on T110, but being able to rushbuy all Universities than getting it at T100 and taking more than 10 turns to build them because you don't have Workshops yet.

When even the best players like Ironfighter and TommyNT say that sub T200 SVs are only possible with observatories in the cap really aiming for 220+ is completely okay. Not every map even has sub T200 as a possibility.

Acken and yung.carl.jung - Thanks for the advice.

I'll have to rethink my approach to focus more on population and keeping the growth going and see if I can improve some more.

Rush-buying universities always seemed like a huge waste of gold to me. Rushing a university wins you 40-50 GS points (that's 2 turns in the late game, if it even matters for that city) and maybe 100-150 beakers. Personally I prefer to spend the gold on infrastructure and city-states throughout the early game than save up for unis.

I still haven't got my timings right on deity for rationalism. I generally go NC ->Civil Service -> Education then seem to flounder.

Often at T100 my cap will only be 10 pop and expos at 6-7. I know this too low. But you can get only about 3/4 trade routes by T100 and balancing gold (with the science early boost from AI caravans) with food caravans - to capital? I'm still not getting right.

Often at T100 my cap will only be 10 pop and expos at 6-7. I know this too low. But you can get only about 3/4 trade routes by T100 and balancing gold (with the science early boost from AI caravans) with food caravans - to capital? I'm still not getting right.

What do you mean by balancing gold with food caravans?

At what turn is your first food caravan up, to your capital?

Do you usually manage to take a few barb camp quests t30+ and get a food bonus from cs:s?

Do you micro manage your capital with locked food tiles and production focus?

I mean should your first caravan be internal food route or gold+science to neighbouring AI? What about 2nd/3rd caravan or cargo ship?

Food to cap is usually around 50-60. Too late I guess.

As for barb quests, I admit, I don't pay enough attention to them - I prioritise culture CS and don't bother with them if they are hostile as the influence just drops too quickly.I could do more in this area.

Yes, one thing I know I do right is set production and lock down the food tiles.

I also sometimes don't manage to steal any workers until as late as t20-25 which sets me back.

I mean should your first caravan be internal food route or gold+science to neighbouring AI? What about 2nd/3rd caravan or cargo ship?

Food to cap is usually around 50-60. Too late I guess.

As for barb quests, I admit, I don't pay enough attention to them - I prioritise culture CS and don't bother with them if they are hostile as the influence just drops too quickly.I could do more in this area.

Yes, one thing I know I do right is set production and lock down the food tiles.

I also sometimes don't manage to steal any workers until as late as t20-25 which sets me back.

I would advocate for food caravan to capital instead of another civ. Those extra food really means a lot when your total food output is low. Same reasoning goes for city states. That extra food means a lot in the beginning but later on not worth so much.
If/when I settle a 5th city I allways make sure I can send a food caravan to that city. It just boosts growth so much in the beginning of a citys growth.

t50-60 for caravan is good tho.

How many scouts do you usally build? The first few really should try to focus on stealing workers from AI and CS:s. Sometimes you can't get a worker until 20 but those games won't be great. Also, continue to try to steal more workers from other civs aswell, with peace soon thereafter. You want to have many workers, like 6+, stolen from AI, CS and barbs.

Did you find this helpful?

I have a bit of trouble completing CS quests. Is it worthwhile to send some archers 20 tiles away to clear a camp? What about buying archers? I usually end up buying an archer or two because i have a bit of trouble fitting it into my early production queue and I can get enough gold from lux deals/caravans etc.

When should I pledge to protect CS? Should this be when I meet them or 5 turns before a quest is completed?

20 tiles is too far. Archers can safely be built in gaps in the queue. e.g. You will have Philosophy in 4 turns and have nothing better to build in capital before you reach that tech. Pledge to protect when you are friends and could be allies AND no one that you want to keep on your side is about to attack them.

Top Bottom