The Deity Challenge Line-up #40 - Korea

I want to see you getting inland capital size 50 on this map by turn 250. 40 is doable, but seriously doubt 50.

I'm fairly sure it's ONLY possible if the city has ToA + HG + Petra + all sorts of crazy growth bonuses, and is fed by cargo ships, and that not only is NOT very often, it takes very special starting conditions

One bit of micromanaging I usually do is to keep my expos at even numbers to squeeze every advantage out of the Library line (1 science for every 2 pop).

It doesn't work like that; that's just badly worded Library description as the game dislikes showing decimals. Library gives flat 50% of population as beakers as it's correctly indicated in the City Screen.

And to my game - T271 Dom after most moronic game in ages. First 150 turns I was inclined to believe it was the epicentre of what I dislike in the game but the latter half much better even approaching enjoyable though that had something to do how I played the end.

Yeah and the funny thing is at least for tradition odd numbers are better for your capital since each odd pop in your capital costs no happiness.

Except the fact that there is little to no reason to prevent growth in the capital to make it stay at odd population. Should always grow capital even if that extra pop is gonna create negative 1 happiness. It's better to stop growth in other cities to make that happen without getting unhappiness.

Its rare but sometimes you want to stay above negative happiness to keep rationalism 10% bonus and knowing whether your cap is going to cause unhappiness when it grows helps.

Pics from my game - I'll do a short recap a bit later.

Spoiler :

Oh crap, that's true. I thought I used the same compression ratio I've always used but that may not be the case. I check if I still have the originals.

----
Something is fishy here. The jpgs are fine on my hd but the downloaded file size is only 20%-30% of that.
----
The files on Photobucket are fine, too so the screw up has something to do with CFC.

I have noticed the extra compression to my JPEGs as well. I tried PNG and CFC changed them to JPEG.

But Grendeldef is just pointing to the files on his photobucket account. I think the problem is that they are too large for CFC so your web browser scales them to fit the frame -- and yuck!

Oh crap, that's true. I thought I used the same compression ratio I've always used but that may not be the case. I check if I still have the originals.

I think you want to scale them down to half size. Most us don’t have a monitor as big as yours anyway!

If I would like to try an artillery sweep with infantry/rocket/artillery/tanks finisher, what is the tech path? Specifically, is Scientific Theory taken after Dynamite?

And what's the general gameplay? A few melee units and use artillery to kill AI carpets and take cities? I have very little experience with post-Industrial era domination because certain AI, like the present Shaka, seem to have endless carpets, and artillery doesn't seem to efficient at killing them. I also don't see oil...

If I would like to try an artillery sweep with infantry/rocket/artillery/tanks finisher, what is the tech path? Specifically, is Scientific Theory taken after Dynamite?

And what's the general gameplay? A few melee units and use artillery to kill AI carpets and take cities? I have very little experience with post-Industrial era domination because certain AI, like the present Shaka, seem to have endless carpets, and artillery doesn't seem to efficient at killing them. I also don't see oil...

You don't need Infantry on this map. Sejong is capable of getting to Dynamite so fast you will be an era ahead in troops at that point. If you DO get stuck somewhere on the sweep, just upgrade the Cavalry to Landships.

So Dynamite > Biology (find the oil) > Scientific Theory > Combustion > Tanks

To overcome AI carpets you make your own bigger carpets. So Full Commerce would be handy, and Autocracy. I had neither, and still finished in decent time. H-C-A on this map would be lunacy.

T225 Science Victory

Spoiler :

Completed 3 city NC by T72 and settled one more city after NC. Reached Education by T104, ST T150, Plastics T189

Built Oracle, Hagia, Big Ben, PT (on T220 for free GS - Nobody picked rationalism), Hubble (with GE). Skipped Statue of Liberty (17 turns in cap would have stalled other builds)

Picked 'one with nature' pantheon. Found religion (Tithe, Religious Community) on T87 in Busan, as it was converted by Russia and it was my only source of faith. Wanted garden hapiness but was already gone. Planted prophet from Hagia as it was a bit late to enhance (all my other cities had reached 5+ pop) and also because my faith generation was bad. Bought missionary before renaissance and converted my cap and another satellite.

Won world fair and got a huge culture boost because of 3 cultural CS allies. Finished Tradition, Commerce till Mercentalism, Rationalism and Freedom and wagon Trains.

Attachments

• Korea_T225_SV.jpg
    Korea_T225_SV.jpg
    439.6 KB · Views: 336
You don't need Infantry on this map. Sejong is capable of getting to Dynamite so fast you will be an era ahead in troops at that point. If you DO get stuck somewhere on the sweep, just upgrade the Cavalry to Landships.

So Dynamite > Biology (find the oil) > Scientific Theory > Combustion > Tanks

To overcome AI carpets you make your own bigger carpets. So Full Commerce would be handy, and Autocracy. I had neither, and still finished in decent time. H-C-A on this map would be lunacy.
I dislike Honor on Deity because it simply doesn't give enough. Tradition saves hammers by giving free buildings and provides growth which translates into more hammers, plus science and gold. Liberty gives production bonuses and saves hammers by giving a free worker and a free settler. The free settler and extra production towards settlers in a way helps growth in the capital, since you won't be as busy pumping out settlers.

Honor opener is pretty useless on Deity where AIs with their swarms clear camps in a heartbeat, and the only good policies are the finisher, upgrade discounts, and increased experience gain. Again, melee unit bonuses are not even going to be a factor because of the optimal cookie-cutter CB-XB-artillery playstyle. I can see the left side of Honor as complimentary policies (or a complimentary tree in case of Poland :p ), but that's it.

Anyway, I played the first 109 turns until I entered the Renaissance (not my fastest). I got so excited about the starting worker that I chopped up my settlers, and the rapid expansion left me at -2 happiness for over 10 turns. On the one hand, I could have got an early 3-city NC, but instead decided to snatch the spots and go with a t77 NC. As you can see, happiness dipped again as I am about to open Rationalism after finishing Tradition. Alex took most of Pocatello's cities, and Montezuma almost eliminated Japan. I had to pay Shaka to go on Catherine (weird, she didn't expand past 2 cities), and now I am watching Alex dropping cities left and right. Each time I see his carpet move, I shudder.

I decided to start building catapults, but honestly I am not sure if it's worth to upgrade them all the way into artillery, as it will take a lot of gold, which I can't see to find on this map. I actually spent a lot of gold buying tiles to work and get the luxuries asap. Even the 4th library was hard-built. I just don't know where I am going from here.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 137
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 150
I'm about 150 turn in. This is my first time to play at deity. I moved my settler to the riverside hill next to the mountain. Settled a 2nd city to the south east on a coastal river tile. Shoshone forward-settled on me and claimed all the available land to the north and to the east, including tiles that should be workable for me. I need to goto war with them and raze a few cities, but I'm 8 techs behind and and about 1/4 the military of anybody else. I have lots of research agreements, trade routes, the Rationalism opener, and my spy is busy stealing techs, but I'm staying way behind. I did build a couple of good wonders; ToA and Hanging Gardens. I didn't expect to get HG, I was just building it because I couldn't afford the maintenance GPT on anything else that I could build at the time.

I planted my GE for the 2 beakers per turn because I'll probably never catch up enough to have a chance at another wonder.

I don't think I'm going to finish this one. I'm doing okay-ish, but there is no path to victory. I need to go back to playing Emperor-level where I belong.

I'm about 150 turn in... I'm 8 techs behind and and about 1/4 the military of anybody else.

I would like to see a screen shot, but you have described the vast majority of my Deity games at T150. They are a struggle, but I mostly go onto win. Hang in there!

Top Bottom