Any disadvantages on accepting embassies?

Thomazo

Chieftain
I always just accept when the AI wants to exchange sn embassy with me. Are there any disadvantages in doing that?

ai getting vision on your capital, know it strength. IN addition, it sees land around capital. I do not accept embassy from near by warmonger, as it will entice him to attack me.

THIS. When you first meet a civ and he has no view of your capital there are no red neg modifiers. For a lot of civs, and ESPECIALLY warmongers, if you trade them an embassy you'll notice they immediately start "coveting your lands". If they are close enough to you, they might even attack. Shaka covets everyone's land so avoid giving him your embassy until he finds your capital anyway for instance.

I don't trade embassies with anyone who hasn't physically seen my capital yet. Once their scout rolls by, then I know I'm not losing anything from the trade.

Also, by not doing so, you can sometimes get "Find the lands of XXXX" quests from city states. This is a gravy way to get 40 influence.

you can do the gravy quest too even after they find your capital by selling your embassy and not caring about getting theirs till later. Not only does this give you an early +1 gpt when gold is more valuable then later, but gives you lots of CS quests to find them which you can easily do by embassy.

Accepting embassies with ais isnt an issue since you get to see where the ai is at. In multiplayer on the other hand, there's trade rape.

Accepting Embassies also enables them to steal technologies from you later in the game, which can be both, a good and a bad thing - more spy-upgrades at the cost of a slightly smaller tech-advantage.

Accepting Embassies also enables them to steal technologies from you later in the game, which can be both, a good and a bad thing - more spy-upgrades at the cost of a slightly smaller tech-advantage.

Doesn't matter after the WC is founded. They know where your capital is anyway.

Doesn't matter after the WC is founded. They know where your capital is anyway.
Yeah, that's right, didn't think of that.

A simple tip:
if you are willing to, don't just accept embassies very early on. It seems to me that the AI tends to offer you more GPT as time goes by in the game. So, wait until they pay more for it.

For a lot of civs, and ESPECIALLY warmongers, if you trade them an embassy you'll notice they immediately start "coveting your lands"..

This is a common misconception. Rivals, warmongers or not, will covet your lands if you're close enough. It doesn't even matter if you've set up embassies at all. There are so many times where they've asked me for accepting embassies but declined yet they still covet my lands.

I love getting the extra gpt from the ai before I research writing. I'm not too worried about them seeing my cap... if they're close they already know where it is and if they're far away they'll attack someone else first. I guess it depends on the game but I like to be aggresive early anyway. Regardless of victory type I like to hit at least one of my near-by neighbors early with CBs. Granted I play on immortal and I've only recently started being really successful at that difficulty but my CB offensive is pretty reliable now. If the ai wants to take a beating let them pick a fight.

Accepting embassies give you an opportunity to steal technologies particularly if you get to reveal their capital. If you already saw their capital then it becomes a rip off.

I don't accept embassies with anyone who's capital I have already found. If I haven't found their capital and don't feel they are near me I will accept embassies to get a better feel for the lay of the land.

I will accept embassies if I feel their unit has a good chance of finding my capital but I have no idea where they are coming from.

It allows them to steal techs later in the game but WC makes that happen anyways. It's really only relevant in that window of time before WC is in effect. After that anyone can just plant a spy if they really want to see your land.

A simple tip:
if you are willing to, don't just accept embassies very early on. It seems to me that the AI tends to offer you more GPT as time goes by in the game. So, wait until they pay more for it.

13 month old thread necro for wrong.

It's 1gpt for embassy. Or the most I have ever seen is 2g, 1gpt for one. Obviously requires DoF, so pretty pointless by then.

They're never going to offer you so much that it becomes worth the wait, since early gold > later gold.

You can't get Open Borders from someone who doesn't have an embassy with you, so generally, don't give them an embassy before Civil Service. It's my impression that AI is more prone to forward-settle on you if they know the location of your capital, so like someone said above, if their scout hasn't found you, that should be a general reason to hold off giving them your embassy. Hard to say how much is feature and how much is just randomness, though.

This is a common misconception. Rivals, warmongers or not, will covet your lands if you're close enough. It doesn't even matter if you've set up embassies at all. There are so many times where they've asked me for accepting embassies but declined yet they still covet my lands.

It's possible the AI might have already found your capital with a scout. If that happens I don't know whether letting them set an embassy up in your capital will do any more harm.

If I play a civ that has powerful early UUs like Aztecs I reckon it can be worth killing AI scouts you find if it stops them from exploring the map - this prevents them from finding other civs and Citystates.

Does not having an embassy with an AI reduce their liklihood of denouncing you? The act of denouncing effectively removes an embassy so sometimes I wonder if it's best to not give them another embassy if they will just redenounce you several turns later.

13 month old thread necro for wrong.

It's 1gpt for embassy. Or the most I have ever seen is 2g, 1gpt for one. Obviously requires DoF, so pretty pointless by then.

They're never going to offer you so much that it becomes worth the wait, since early gold > later gold.

True. After playing some more games I realized my impression was wrong.

Though for the sake of not losing others respect, you could try to correct some views without needlessly making your comment look contemptuous.
Just a tip.

I've found that accepting an Embassy on settings below Prince, its not an issue, however once you get to Prince and above, the AI will know your Military Strength and the aggressive AI's will B line straight to you.

Top Bottom