I tried playing ToT on my backup computer, but holy hell was it slow.

PlutonianEmpire

King of the Plutonian Empire
Like, painfully slow. Probably like what you would find on the "low end" versions of computers that were out at the time of ToT's release.

I seriously had no idea what I was in for when I loaded it up. Just sequencing the events alone took over seven-ten minutes. :ack:

The battle animation is at the very beginning. It might be hard to find because it's so slow, but it's right underneath Paris.

Link to video.

Yikes.

My wish list is for a functional Windows XP computer to play ToT and a few other older games. It doesn't have to do anything else. I just miss my game, because I have no idea how to make it work on Win 8.1 (and I keep getting nagged to upgrade to Windows 10).

BTW, why do you still have so many enemy cities around in 2019? By that time in my games, there's only one enemy city left, and I allow it to survive only so my spaceship can get to its destination (no matter if I'm playing Original, Extended, or Lalande).

Why so late? You'd spend most of the game getting nothing but generic "future tech" that doesn't do anything.

Unless you want advanced armor and weaponry before writing and mapmaking...? :confused:

It did for the longest time. It started out as an apocalypse-post apocalypse scenario in MGE. When I learned how to mod ToT, I migrated it to ToT and made it more of a Phoenix-type of scenario, where we expand to the planets and stars after the main nuclear conflict. The scenario uses an altered Tech tree, to ultimately make it a science fantasy scenario. Likewise, I modded the units and wonders respectively to fit the new theme.

I never officially released it because it uses the Author Avatar/Insert trope, and last I heard, nobody seems very fond of those. :dunno:

The years are catching up. Our next federal election is in 2019.

How much of your scenario takes place on Earth?

The first ten to twenty years (120 to 240 turns, one month per turn). Mars Colonization is usually discovered/enabled by turn 100 or so, and is the only planet to be accessed until FTL Technology is researched after another five years or so. The "fantasy" part of the "science fantasy" comes in when Pluto can be colonized and subsequently terraformed. Mars and Pluto can't be terraformed until the prerequisite Terraforming tech is research. The final world, Belle Terre is at Sigma Draconis and can't be reached until the Alpha Centauri ship arrives. I arbitrarily chose Sigma Draconis because Alpha Centauri is too close, IMO to achieve a decent FTL effect, given the timeframe.

Top Bottom