S3rgeus's Wheel of Time Mod

Advance warning. I'll be out of town from Saturday to Tuesday. These business trips usually either result in complete inability to post, or complete freedom to post a ton. We'll see which.

Dogmatic Morality it is!
agreed.

I totally see what you mean here, and I figured that's what we were moving towards in our last set of posts - a set of names that linked more into the flavor of the names of the branches. I don't think we need to be nearly as rigid as you're suggesting here though. Take the Integrity example: we have 3 Policies. I think Research League is pretty good relation to integrity (can't have a "league" of associated research contributions if folks don't act with integrity, it just falls apart). Peaceful Sleep less so, but we're still iterating on that name below (was above, until I reordered it). Borderland Raiders you're totally right, but only because we're scrapping that Policy and replacing it, right? So we're not trying to connect it to the notion of integrity, we need to do that with whatever replaces it.
If we're indeed replacing BRaiders, then yeah, I'd say Integrity will be fine.

Pride I can totally see how we connect the concept of these mechanics to Pride-ful words that will communicate that to the player. We haven't found the right ones yet, but I'm confident we will. And in a forest-for-the-trees sense, aren't we just iterating on individual names of Policies to fix this issue? I totally agree with the overall objective of tying back to the flavor of what the branch means, but at this stage don't we just want to establish that the overall flavorful and mechanical direction of the things we want to do in the branch can be brought into line with that?
yes, you're right. We don't have to settle this right now. However, we were going pretty far along the "make the mechanics match the flavor thing", such that it felt we had to examine the stuff conceptually at this stage.

I would also say that overall, the flavor of Integrity and Pride, in the context of a tree called Ethics, is very broad and not necessarily as restrictive as you're suggesting. Pride can be about conceit to do things people shouldn't, not just about the more personal definition of Pride in taking pleasure in achieving something. I think even the connection to several Shadow mechanics in themselves makes these things prideful, something that a civ that's truly obsessed with its own power would choose to do, despite the obvious risks of universal destruction.
, I think my rigidness is misinterpreted here. Look, exactly zero of the policies we've lined up connect in a meaningful way to the Branch concept. I view that as a problem. That's all.

I guess this tree, being the new one, the very WotMod one, feels like it deserves to feel particularly tight and smart.

And if we're working on the flavor that we can connect a given mechanic back to the flavor of the branch it's in, that's working under the assumption that we're going to leave those mechanics the same. Which is already not the case for several of them (which is why we've stopped trying to make those flavor connections for Dreamspying and Borderland Raiders). Either mechanics or flavor can lead on any given Policy, and I feel like I've mostly started with mechanics here (mostly because this tree is one of the few Alignment-specific mechanics around, giving us a chance to make those a better part of the larger whole, and a lot of obvious flavor is covered in other mechanics in WoTMod so far). So it would make sense that we would decide on what relevant mechanics we like and then pull them back into the right flavorful naming. Which seems to be what we're doing now, though there's a good argument that should be phase 2.
of course. Totally agree.

Unless of course there is prevailing flavor for the notions of Integrity and Pride within WoT that I've not thought of when making these. Are there any specifically that come to mind? We can totally try to get some of those in here if there are.
Hmmm, I suppose I'm more or less ok with the Light side of things. The DPeace elements mechanically tie in. I suppose an element of selfishness, jingoism, and sort of civ-centeredness would be welcome in the Pride branch. That'd feel like it fits.

I see what you mean about wanting to link it back to the flavor of Integrity.

I will say I don't think Peaceful Sleep is so bad, the notion of someone who "sleeps peacefully" is someone who feels they don't have regrets, which is a way to see a person with integrity. (The idealized version, rather than someone who doubts whether they're always doing the good they wanted, which is much more grey.)

Mostly the flavor of what this Policy is is that the civ is using wards on Dreams to preserve the happiness/goodness of its people. (Keeping the Shadow's temptations at bay and the like.)

Something literal like "Dream Sentries"? "Universal Warding" - implying the Dreamwards are allowed to help everyone, where they would normally be reserved for more "important" defensive targets?
Hmmm, we're getting close, I think. Peaceful sleep can survive for the time being. This name isn't one I have issue with as much because it doesn't link to Integrity (no matter what I said before) - it's really more that it doesn't feel like a Policy at all - that is, a societal trait. I see how, in fact, it sort of is one, but it doesn't strike me as on immediately.

It's like we want "Sleep Rituals," but without being stupid.

Yeah, I was brainstorming on this same concept last time as well. There's definitely an avenue there for taking pride in things that are clearly nefarious and secretive, it's just hard to condense into a couple of words. I think this is our usual process though - go through a ton of options until we find the one that pulls the flavor and the mechanics together right.

More brainstorming:

Clandestine Support
Unseen Allies
I'm seeing Unseen Allies as a decent option. Not directly linked to pride, but not awful, either.

What if it's framed more as a general trait that your culture has unseen allies, backroom handshakes, and betrayals as a part of its tradition? Sort of like Daes D'M for the Cairhienin, but more specifically evil. It's a hard set of words to find, but that's what we're looking for. "Mistrust of Allies" and that kind of thing. Is there a more official name for "shady deals"? Sedition is almost the right idea, but that implies conspiracy against your own govt, which this wouldn't be.

On that note... Conspiracy? Conspiracy Theory? I like these as societal traits - not super prideful though.

I like the "man playing god" flavor and yeah, that was definitely the avenue I was pursuing in my last post. I do think the Policy is about that. It's establishing some process that allows these creatures that are twisted abominations to be bought and supplied at the drop of a hat. This implies some kind of ability to very quickly recruit them directly from the Shadow or somehow make them yourself, either of which ties into the notion of learning about how Shadowspawn tick. It doesn't need to be connected directly to Aginor, it's just that in the books timeline he's the person who worked out how to do these kinds of things. (And since he did that in the AoL that is the state of our WoTMod world as well, since we pick up After Breaking.) Even without Aginor, the flavor is the same notion of trying to understand the twisted workings of Shadowspawn.
so what works? Heretical Research? Blasphemous Rumo(u)rs?

Restricting the purchase to units you can otherwise build sounds like a good call. And that does create a scaling factor with Alignment tier. Our unbranched Policies certainly push players toward having higher tiers, which it would be good if the branches took advantage of that.

I also like the scaling on the sight ability.

Some of the Integrity ones are less scalable, like Research League, since that would get our of hand if it compounded with Light tier as well. Peaceful Sleep could produce more Light based on the player's tier, which seems quite reasonable. If we go with FtP on the last Integrity Policy, then we can extend the discovery range at certain tiers.

Maybe 2/3 scalable on both sides would be reasonable?
yeah, I like all these ideas.

We don't have to preserve it, I was basically trying to come up with whole new "Shadow-style" abilities that we could use instead, related or not, but it just wasn't working for me on Tuesday night! I do figure the T'a'r link is a good idea if we can keep it somehow, but no particular guiding principles aside from that.

Dreamcatchers
Your Projections can enter the areas affected by Dreamspikes.

Dream Warriors
Your Projections can be expended, inflicting X% extra damage to the host in order to forcibly awaken an enemy Projection within range (which would cause the "killed" expiration damage) (This ability would be called "Tear from the Dream" or something.)

There are lots of options for generating Shadow through T'a'r actions, but we already have a Policy that boosts Shadow production. Would we want to dobule dip, since Turning objectives are infrequency?

Merciless Dreamers
Gain +30 Shadow whenever you force an enemy Projection our of T'a'r. +50 for killing non-Projection enemies in T'a'r, or Dreamspikes.
comments made previously on Pridefullness all still active on these.

Mostly fine with these. I like the first two quite a bit, though they do suffer from the "added functionality" issue that Dreamspying had, though not nearly as badly. I think with Dreamcatchers, I'm curious what this would be used for, primarily. Adding DWards? Destroying DWards? Gathering the occasional glimmer? How does it help shadow players in the LB? Cool idea, though.

DW also cool. Again, how would this tie into a shadow strategy?

Not sure about double dipping in shadow. I think I would want to see the policy also have some other functionality.

In any case, I feel like all three of these could be made to work.

Agreed, I think that association of WBr/Light and DWalker/Shadow isn't great. Which would push back against having both as opposing finisher rewards on the Ethics tree. The WBr is also more about Alignment (not specifically Light or Shadow) through his Thread ability, so he could fit into the Faith/Alignment branch of the Myth tree. There is no pure T'a'r branch as we discussed before, which is where the Dreamwalker would probably fit best.
Yeah, they shouldn't be opposed.

It's also possible that we could have both of these units be available from one finisher. That might be too good, though.

Just in terms of counting, we have 11 LP types and 20 branch finishers, which is close to 1/2 (which would fit perfectly into having 2 of each).
close, but not quite!

Looking back at the earlier trees, I really hadn't noticed how many finishers unlocked the same LP on both branches. I thought we'd been actively avoiding that, but apparently that's not the case.
Yeah, I find it pretty essential to some of the trees.

I also don't think that putting the WBr on the Integrity tree makes him a definitively Light mechanic. I don't think WBrs should be strong enough that any Shadow civ to take Integrity (which has several dead Policies for them) for that unlock. And Shadow civs can still make them through T'a'r dominance. And of course, moving the WBr onto one branch of the Myth tree could also resolve this, if we did think that association was too strong. (Given there's already a flavor association, as you've said.)
Yeah, I'd prefer to leave him off this tree, unless he's on both (which would be fine with me - we could put the DW on the earlier tree). We could also put the DW here on both, though he's not as relevant.

You're correct that he wouldn't be definitively Light. But he would be Light-linked, which is questionable mechanically (though not flavor-wise). His alignment-relation is through summoning threads - a specifically alignment-agnostic ability. Giving him more often to Light civs fights against his "neutrality" I'd say.

I mostly come back around to thinking that I don't really see why we would avoid Black Sisters with Faith at this stage. It could be an awesome mechanic, and for Shadow players it will be something that really stands out as unique for them. They fulfill the same style of "scarce non produceable units that have really strong effects" as the other LP finishers and given we have so many more finishers than BNW, I think the main benefit of that is diversity of the kinds of bonuses we can give out with them.
The issues I have with it are as follows:

All shadow players receive BSisters. However, if you correctly Turn the Tower, there are now more BSisters than there are Regular Sisters. This just compounds that, and makes the overall range of this ability a bit wide for my taste. On the low end, a shadow player with low faith output in a light-heavy world might, for instance, go from 2 Sisters to a total of 4. By contrast, a high faith output shadow player playing in a successful-Turning game could go from, say, 8 sisters to 13. The difference between the +2 sisters and +5 due to faith isn't the problem - it's the total of 13 that's the problem (these values all theoretical).

Yes, they are a scarce resource like an LP, but unlike an LP, the level of their scarcity is due mostly to things that are going to be in many cases out of the player's control, or at least only partially under their control. Case in point - we don't have an analogous policy for normal Aes Sedai. What we do have is "+X to Aes Sedai quota," which may or may not effect black sisters (good question!). This could be adapted to be similar to that.

I wouldn't say the landsknecht Policy is so different. Initially I was going to suggest this Policy as just a Gold purchase option (like that one), but I figured that could use a bit of a boost. (There's also a bit of a problem with Shadow players having a built in Faith penalty, which may be relevant elsewhere as well.)

It's not that I don't think this could be a finisher, I agree it totally could. But I think the Black Sisters option is more compelling and this one has these properties that still make it appropriate to include as a Policy. Or if, at the next stage, we look at this Policy and come up with a better one that fulfills goals for the Pride tree, then we can swap them out then.
right, so this sort of depends on what we do with the BSister finisher.... thoughts on that above.

Related to the above, would it be enough of an extra to make this scalable? So higher Light tier players reveal spies at a larger distance?
eh, I don't think so. I think the benefit of detecting spies at all might not be that useful in some game situations - I think some kind of minor "bonus" or something attached to it would be better. What about rewarding them for using their spies "with integrity" - i.e., as diplomats or something?

Also, not sure where this fits into the discussions above, but what about the ability to purchase Sealbearers somehow (on some Policy)? (With Faith, since it's much more finite than Gold?) That could make a huge difference to stealing strategies.
wait, I'm quite confused as to how that would work. Would they be carrying real seals?

Advance warning. I'll be out of town from Saturday to Tuesday. These business trips usually either result in complete inability to post, or complete freedom to post a ton. We'll see which.

No problem, I will also be away on Saturday and Sunday, so there's a good overlap there!

If we're indeed replacing BRaiders, then yeah, I'd say Integrity will be fine.

Cool, based on what we're doing below, I think we will!

yes, you're right. We don't have to settle this right now. However, we were going pretty far along the "make the mechanics match the flavor thing", such that it felt we had to examine the stuff conceptually at this stage.

, I think my rigidness is misinterpreted here. Look, exactly zero of the policies we've lined up connect in a meaningful way to the Branch concept. I view that as a problem. That's all.

I guess this tree, being the new one, the very WotMod one, feels like it deserves to feel particularly tight and smart.

Yeah, I see what you mean about wanting to bring that flavor back toward the notion of Pride then. Related to your first point here, do we want to pull them all back in now, or just find the Policies that we think achieve the mechanical goals of the branches and manage the flavor on the next pass?

I'll continue with our blocks below, though some of them may end up on hold if we decide to hold off on that until later.

Hmmm, we're getting close, I think. Peaceful sleep can survive for the time being. This name isn't one I have issue with as much because it doesn't link to Integrity (no matter what I said before) - it's really more that it doesn't feel like a Policy at all - that is, a societal trait. I see how, in fact, it sort of is one, but it doesn't strike me as on immediately.

It's like we want "Sleep Rituals," but without being stupid.

Yeah, I see what you mean about it not looking like a societal trait right off the bat. I've been brainstorming similar things at each post, but I've been running up against the same problems as your suggestions in that making them sound like societal traits makes it quite sound quite silly too.

I'm seeing Unseen Allies as a decent option. Not directly linked to pride, but not awful, either.

What if it's framed more as a general trait that your culture has unseen allies, backroom handshakes, and betrayals as a part of its tradition? Sort of like Daes D'M for the Cairhienin, but more specifically evil. It's a hard set of words to find, but that's what we're looking for. "Mistrust of Allies" and that kind of thing. Is there a more official name for "shady deals"? Sedition is almost the right idea, but that implies conspiracy against your own govt, which this wouldn't be.

On that note... Conspiracy? Conspiracy Theory? I like these as societal traits - not super prideful though.

Oo, I like the conspiracy angle. Conspiracy Spinners? Avid Conspirers? Master Conspirators?

so what works? Heretical Research? Blasphemous Rumo(u)rs?

Woah, Depeche Mode!

Heretical and Blasphemous both sound a bit loaded in a religious sense. My suggestions from before were "Forbidden Research", "Stolen Knowledge", and "Ancient Experiments". Any of those sounding like the right kind of thing? Ancient Experiments leaves it up to the player to see the association with Shadowspawn and the AoL, but I think a fair number of fans will catch that and find the "one step" logic quite satisfying when they realize what it is. (Or they just read this topic.)

The difficulty with those is that they sound like they should give Science bonuses, though that's not necessarily a reason not to pick them by itself.

comments made previously on Pridefullness all still active on these.

Mostly fine with these. I like the first two quite a bit, though they do suffer from the "added functionality" issue that Dreamspying had, though not nearly as badly. I think with Dreamcatchers, I'm curious what this would be used for, primarily. Adding DWards? Destroying DWards? Gathering the occasional glimmer? How does it help shadow players in the LB? Cool idea, though.

I think mobility would be a major thing, since Dreamspikes would otherwise be a good way of blocking off Projections from reaching certain key places. Dreamwards can't be placed within the range of a Dreamspike, so that wouldn't be a big thing there. I considered giving the ability to destroy Dreamspikes on this, but that seemed like it would devalue Dreamspikes (which are only made by LPs) too much.

DW also cool. Again, how would this tie into a shadow strategy?

This would just be a new ability, it doesn't tie into Shadow mechanically, just Shadow flavor.

I feel like there's more room in the Shadow flavor to inspire a different T'a'r related ability somewhere! I'll keep brainstorming. I'm mostly looking at the T'a'r summary and looking at what mechanics could be tweaked for a fun change. There's definitely a lot of room for stuff that produces Shadow in there - from harvesting glimmers and all that kind of stuff.

Stuff like:

Inspiration of Nightmares
+X Shadow whenever you defeat a Nightmare in T'a'r and you gain a Shadowspawn unit in the main map layer at that position.

It's also possible that we could have both of these units be available from one finisher. That might be too good, though.

Agreed, I think that might be too good. Though the two do complement each other on T'a'r effectiveness.

Yeah, I'd prefer to leave him off this tree, unless he's on both (which would be fine with me - we could put the DW on the earlier tree). We could also put the DW here on both, though he's not as relevant.

You're correct that he wouldn't be definitively Light. But he would be Light-linked, which is questionable mechanically (though not flavor-wise). His alignment-relation is through summoning threads - a specifically alignment-agnostic ability. Giving him more often to Light civs fights against his "neutrality" I'd say.

Cool, I'd be good with moving the WBr back onto the Faith/Alignment finisher. (Doesn't seem like we'd want the Visionary on both branches of that tree?)

Related to the Ogier Policy I suggested before though, that could be an interesting Faith buy for the Integrity tree? Some kind of Ogier unit? If we do use the Black Sisters on the Pride tree, both sides would have a strong canonical representation of their "side" available for purchase that are otherwise very difficult to get?

The issues I have with it are as follows:

All shadow players receive BSisters. However, if you correctly Turn the Tower, there are now more BSisters than there are Regular Sisters. This just compounds that, and makes the overall range of this ability a bit wide for my taste. On the low end, a shadow player with low faith output in a light-heavy world might, for instance, go from 2 Sisters to a total of 4. By contrast, a high faith output shadow player playing in a successful-Turning game could go from, say, 8 sisters to 13. The difference between the +2 sisters and +5 due to faith isn't the problem - it's the total of 13 that's the problem (these values all theoretical).

Yes, they are a scarce resource like an LP, but unlike an LP, the level of their scarcity is due mostly to things that are going to be in many cases out of the player's control, or at least only partially under their control. Case in point - we don't have an analogous policy for normal Aes Sedai. What we do have is "+X to Aes Sedai quota," which may or may not effect black sisters (good question!). This could be adapted to be similar to that.

I figured that Black Sisters wouldn't be affected by quota in general. At that point, there are no rules about which Sisters work for whom and they're mostly free agents of the Shadow. I don't think the Tower would be the source of reinforcements that justifies the flavor of how Aes Sedai quota works once the LB starts. The LB starting also means there isn't much time left in the game, so the players having a finite number of these powerful units will make them valuable.

I'm not sure I really see the problem in your first scenario though. The player has chosen to specialize in a way that allows them to build up a larger force of Black Sisters. So their opponents should build counter to that, in a similar way to building a lot of AA units when fighting a very air-force-heavy enemy. All of that Faith had an opportunity cost in other areas. Any mechanic that provides a purchasing opportunity for the player will have a range based on that player's propensity to producing the yield used to make the purchase. Faith is a good candidate here because it's not something that players can as easily produce in mass quantities as, say, Gold. And scaling costs means it's easy enough to create a tweakable soft ceiling on the number they can get. The low end will be very low, but the low end of any purchase option is. If the player hasn't prioritized the yield they need to make that purchase then they won't be able to take advantage of it.

eh, I don't think so. I think the benefit of detecting spies at all might not be that useful in some game situations - I think some kind of minor "bonus" or something attached to it would be better. What about rewarding them for using their spies "with integrity" - i.e., as diplomats or something?

Emissaries (Diplomats) could gain the ability to steal Seals? (Though that goes back on the whole integrity thing a bit?) Emissaries can also only be in enemy capitals, which doesn't make that hugely applicable.

They could produce a yield of some kind?

wait, I'm quite confused as to how that would work. Would they be carrying real seals?

It would be the same as producing Sealbearers except you could purchase them. You could purchase them in your own cities that have a Seal (regardless of whether the Seal's authenticity had been determined) to transport that Seal with the unit. The difference with a purchase is obviously that it's instant, so could be used to suddenly escape an attempt to steal the Seal. (The defending player doesn't have an exact countdown for that though.) It's just an idea I thought could be quite comeplling, but I'm not sure where it fits in.

Yeah, I see what you mean about wanting to bring that flavor back toward the notion of Pride then. Related to your first point here, do we want to pull them all back in now, or just find the Policies that we think achieve the mechanical goals of the branches and manage the flavor on the next pass?

I'll continue with our blocks below, though some of them may end up on hold if we decide to hold off on that until later.
I'd say we're pretty knee-deep in it now, so it feels more efficient to hash out most of this now. We can leave things TBD if need be, on a case-by-case basis.

Yeah, I see what you mean about it not looking like a societal trait right off the bat. I've been brainstorming similar things at each post, but I've been running up against the same problems as your suggestions in that making them sound like societal traits makes it quite sound quite silly too.
yeah, this may be one that is left alone out of necessity.

Oo, I like the conspiracy angle. Conspiracy Spinners? Avid Conspirers? Master Conspirators?
eh... not quite a fan of these.

Also, it does seem like you're kind of consistently applying a part of speech/word tense that doesn't quite fit with the "societal trait" conventions as expressed in BNW. Collective Rule, Legalism, Military Caste, ... These are things your civilization "has." But not really in the sense of a "few people are this thing here." So, either A) a philosophy, or B) an Institution, or C) a Custom. For me, it's not the concepts that are off on these kinds of things, but the specific verbiage. I've found this to be the case throughout these last posts, so I figured it was something to try to approach head-on instead of in more conceptual terms.

To be clear, I think we should stick to the way BNW handles these.

So, here, I feel like ones like these fit the bill a little better.

Culture of Conspiracy
Conspiracy
Conspiracy Theory (though this feels a little "techy")
Conspiratorial Tradition
Conspiratorial View
Collusion
Culture of Collusion (etc.)
Belief in Conspiracy
Practice of Conspiracy
Practice of Collusion

Heretical and Blasphemous both sound a bit loaded in a religious sense. My suggestions from before were "Forbidden Research", "Stolen Knowledge", and "Ancient Experiments". Any of those sounding like the right kind of thing? Ancient Experiments leaves it up to the player to see the association with Shadowspawn and the AoL, but I think a fair number of fans will catch that and find the "one step" logic quite satisfying when they realize what it is. (Or they just read this topic.)

The difficulty with those is that they sound like they should give Science bonuses, though that's not necessarily a reason not to pick them by itself.
Yeah, these all very much feel like they should be science-based. This policy has zero to do with even things tangentially related to science (mechanically, I mean), so I'd say we should try to avoid being so all in on science.

Also, from a flavor perspective, this is not grounded in the books - the ability to make shadowspawn was never rediscovered, and it certainly was never used by a civ.

The other angle I can think of for this is Treason and things like that. Like, the shadowspawn have a way in to your society easily. However, this is an odd social policy for a government to "choose"... Unfortunately, flavor-wise the other way to do it is back to the "unseen alliances" well, which was already shown to be problematic to a certain extent as a policy - and also overlaps too much with that policy (assuming we keep the black ajah one around, which I think we will).

I'm thinking a kind of Black Market approach might be the best we can do, then. Underground Economy, that kind of thing. These have little to do with Pride, though. (We're still at 0% for pride-connection). What do you think?

What if we rename Pride to Deceit? That's not as "possibly-admirable-but-probably-bad" balanced as Pride, which is why I prefer Pride, but it would make it much easier to fit these in. It's quite diametrically opposed to Integrity, which is less in keeping with how most of these have been, but is quite in keeping with how Power is, so there is precedent for it. Thoughts?

I think mobility would be a major thing, since Dreamspikes would otherwise be a good way of blocking off Projections from reaching certain key places. Dreamwards can't be placed within the range of a Dreamspike, so that wouldn't be a big thing there. I considered giving the ability to destroy Dreamspikes on this, but that seemed like it would devalue Dreamspikes (which are only made by LPs) too much.
destroying dreamspikes with projections doesn't devalue the Dreamspike so much as it totally devalues the WBr, who is the only entity capable of destroying Dreamspikes.

I think this ability could work ok when paired with some other small bonus.

This would just be a new ability, it doesn't tie into Shadow mechanically, just Shadow flavor.
this is about dream warriors. I think this is only useful if it will very often kill the host. Otherwise, since projections will often be launched from safe places, the unit just heals up and its sort of pointless. Not a game changing thing unless it kills (maybe not always, but often).

And also, the name "Tear from the Dream" is another example of a policy name that doesn't fit as a policy name.

I feel like there's more room in the Shadow flavor to inspire a different T'a'r related ability somewhere! I'll keep brainstorming. I'm mostly looking at the T'a'r summary and looking at what mechanics could be tweaked for a fun change. There's definitely a lot of room for stuff that produces Shadow in there - from harvesting glimmers and all that kind of stuff.

Stuff like:

Inspiration of Nightmares
+X Shadow whenever you defeat a Nightmare in T'a'r and you gain a Shadowspawn unit in the main map layer at that position.
I think I like this, in that it's kind of random but feels cool. That said, I'm not sure it will end up that practical. Hunting down nightmares to create SS in the main layer might feel like a side quest not worth doing. It could be adapted so you somehow "use" nightmares or something? (not quite flavorful, obviously). Like, when your projection is killed, x% chance of spawning a nightmare that you control? Weird, probably.

Or it could be as simple as killing a projection/LP in T'a'r has x% chance of spawning a shadowspawn (somehow)

The other shadowy thing that folks did in T'a'r was enter it in the Flesh. Given that it can cost you your soul, this seems appropriate shadowy. Not sure how to spin this as a Policy name or a mechanic, though. We've already established that it breaks the system to have actual units wandering around in t'a'r, which is what people would expect, I think.

Cool, I'd be good with moving the WBr back onto the Faith/Alignment finisher. (Doesn't seem like we'd want the Visionary on both branches of that tree?)
correct. If we follow BNW, not having a Path means you can't have Visionaries at all. and it's quite possible that people on that side of the tree may not have a path of their own.

Related to the Ogier Policy I suggested before though, that could be an interesting Faith buy for the Integrity tree? Some kind of Ogier unit? If we do use the Black Sisters on the Pride tree, both sides would have a strong canonical representation of their "side" available for purchase that are otherwise very difficult to get?
yeah, I'm not open to this, especiallyif we go with the BSister one (which I still very much don't love). It *might* take away from the specialness of the stedding, but maybe not.

Also, what's wrong with DWalker for both sides? Is that unit necessarily a good fit for Opportunity, or should it go better here?

I figured that Black Sisters wouldn't be affected by quota in general. At that point, there are no rules about which Sisters work for whom and they're mostly free agents of the Shadow. I don't think the Tower would be the source of reinforcements that justifies the flavor of how Aes Sedai quota works once the LB starts. The LB starting also means there isn't much time left in the game, so the players having a finite number of these powerful units will make them valuable.
Hmmmm, I don't think so. As I understood it, isn't it just that you have X # of Aes Sedai, and then Y number of them leave when the LB starts (and, if your shadow, the ones that remain become BSisters)? So the quota would be a significant part of that calculation.

I think this is an important aspect to making Authority a meaningful choice for shadow civilizations. If the tower turns, and is evil, this makes obvious sense. But even if the tower doesn't turn, and you get fewer BSisters, it still makes sense that Authority/Quota would matter - your civ has the linkages and connections to the tower that have led it to be selected as a destination for all those BSisters.

So, IMO, if we eschew quota for black sisters, we're sort of throwing out a relatively key game mechanic that has been operation for the entire game.

I'm not sure I really see the problem in your first scenario though. The player has chosen to specialize in a way that allows them to build up a larger force of Black Sisters. So their opponents should build counter to that, in a similar way to building a lot of AA units when fighting a very air-force-heavy enemy. All of that Faith had an opportunity cost in other areas. Any mechanic that provides a purchasing opportunity for the player will have a range based on that player's propensity to producing the yield used to make the purchase. Faith is a good candidate here because it's not something that players can as easily produce in mass quantities as, say, Gold. And scaling costs means it's easy enough to create a tweakable soft ceiling on the number they can get. The low end will be very low, but the low end of any purchase option is. If the player hasn't prioritized the yield they need to make that purchase then they won't be able to take advantage of it.
Calling a spade a spade, you seem really keen on having this policy, despite consistent objection from me. Usually I eventually retract my objection, and I probably will still do so, but I want to call attention to that beforehand. You've offered responses to my critiques that are reasonable and might be arguably correct, depending on your perspective. But I'm not sure the case has been made as to why this is necessarily the awesomest choice - rather, I've put you in the position to articulate clearly why it's not a *bad* choice, and you've done a pretty good job putting forth why it isn't a terrible idea.

But... why is this the best choice? The best argument I've seen is that it allows us the possibility to do the Ogier-on-one-side-BSisters-on-the-other thing, though I don't think the BSisters have to be the other side (could be Samma N'Sei or some other combat unit. Ogier units are cool combat units, but BSisters are way much more than that. The two units don't really have parity, IMO, though of course this could be reflected in their cost). Obviously BSisters comes with it a lot of nuance and connection to various other systems in the game, which seems to make it the riskier choice. Perhaps my comments on the Quota thing above snap this back into perspective.

I could be fine with this, but it feels like "a bit much" and kind of treacherous. If you really want a BSister aspect to the finisher, it could be something as simple as "Black Sisters are replaced X% more quicklyif they are killed" and then provide some other faith buy option.

Sorry if I'm making this awkward, but I do feel like this keeps bouncing back and forth....

Emissaries (Diplomats) could gain the ability to steal Seals? (Though that goes back on the whole integrity thing a bit?) Emissaries can also only be in enemy capitals, which doesn't make that hugely applicable.

They could produce a yield of some kind?
yeah, that first one feels unflavorful.... and broken if only for capitals.

If it was operative for longer periods of the game, it could be cool to do a thing where you receive a yield for "fulfilling a promise." Right?

It would be the same as producing Sealbearers except you could purchase them. You could purchase them in your own cities that have a Seal (regardless of whether the Seal's authenticity had been determined) to transport that Seal with the unit. The difference with a purchase is obviously that it's instant, so could be used to suddenly escape an attempt to steal the Seal. (The defending player doesn't have an exact countdown for that though.) It's just an idea I thought could be quite comeplling, but I'm not sure where it fits in.
oh, I understand. Sorry, I'd confused that system in my mind.

I think the instantaneous of it creates problems. I think more than anything, it'll make player feel like they can't spend their faith, needing to keep a "reserve" of emergency SBearer production.

Also, this might give light players a weird advantage in the seal game we don't want... or do we?

Apologies for the delay, I didn't get home until late tonight! I won't be home tomorrow either unfortunately. My next reply should be marginally on the shorter side, so I'll try to post after D&D on Wednesday!

EDIT: Tried to get a full reply in, but I've run out of time! :( I've written most of it (out of order, so too fragmented to post now), but I won't be home until late tomorrow. I'll try to finish it off then! Otherwise, I am actually home on Friday and so will definitely be able to finish it by then, if I don't tomorrow!

Last edited:
And it turns out I wasn't home until midnight tonight either! But it's been long enough, it's time for some late night postage!

I also will not be around tomorrow and will possibly be back on Sunday!

I'd say we're pretty knee-deep in it now, so it feels more efficient to hash out most of this now. We can leave things TBD if need be, on a case-by-case basis.

Sounds good!

eh... not quite a fan of these.

Also, it does seem like you're kind of consistently applying a part of speech/word tense that doesn't quite fit with the "societal trait" conventions as expressed in BNW. Collective Rule, Legalism, Military Caste, ... These are things your civilization "has." But not really in the sense of a "few people are this thing here." So, either A) a philosophy, or B) an Institution, or C) a Custom. For me, it's not the concepts that are off on these kinds of things, but the specific verbiage. I've found this to be the case throughout these last posts, so I figured it was something to try to approach head-on instead of in more conceptual terms.

To be clear, I think we should stick to the way BNW handles these.

I see what you mean, but I'm seeing this as much more flexible for us because we can't just straight up use all of the "isms" from reality, because then it will just be the actual real world concepts. WoT doesn't give us these kind of named academic terms that represent equivalent forms of societal structure, so I think it pays to consider stuff like this as well. My suggestions from last time aren't intended to say that a "few people are like this", it's more about "people of this civilization tend to be like this" - which informs more about how certain systems would interact with their people. Given our classification of Fear/Acceptance as how people respond to channelers and the Philosophies as how governments do so, this seems consistent to me.

Not that I dislike your suggestions and if we can get the good "mercantilism" style names then let's go for those. But I think the "strange" versions of those that sound out of place are worse than the "representative traits of people" style. I've been trying to come up with these kinds of societal trait names on all of these posts, but have mostly found them lacking.

I do also think that very specific naming at this stage may be putting the cart before the horse. We may have to drastically change the mechanics of some of these Policies for balance reasons once we actually play them, which invalidates much of this discussion, which is largely flavorful. Without major guideposts from the canon like we have in other systems, I think a general impression of the flavor direction of something could be sufficient to even make the Policies playable.

So, here, I feel like ones like these fit the bill a little better.

Culture of Conspiracy
Conspiracy
Conspiracy Theory (though this feels a little "techy")
Conspiratorial Tradition
Conspiratorial View
Collusion
Culture of Collusion (etc.)
Belief in Conspiracy
Practice of Conspiracy
Practice of Collusion

None of these have the ring of "Master Conspirators" to me. I do see what you mean about them being societal traits. They don't have the strength of the well defined "isms", I'd say, which is what drew me to the others. It's much of a muchness to me at this stage really though, the flavor of "conspiracy" as a concept fits the intended framing flavor of this policy well.

Yeah, these all very much feel like they should be science-based. This policy has zero to do with even things tangentially related to science (mechanically, I mean), so I'd say we should try to avoid being so all in on science.

Also, from a flavor perspective, this is not grounded in the books - the ability to make shadowspawn was never rediscovered, and it certainly was never used by a civ.

Nobody rediscovered the ability to do this in the books timeline, but given the mechanical sensibility of being able to purchase Shadowspawn as a mechanic, it seems like very appropriate flavor. The techniques to do so obviously exist in the canon and as readers we know Aginor invented them, using methods that weren't somehow exclusive to him. (It's implied that the Town produces Shadowspawn, right?) It seems like a very reasonable connection given what we're doing here.

I'm not sure we should dismiss the "science-y" ones so quickly, because I think the connection to Shadowspawn being "invented" life forms is quite easy for fans to make. Is there another way to connect back to Aginor's research without making it too science-y at the same time?

The other angle I can think of for this is Treason and things like that. Like, the shadowspawn have a way in to your society easily. However, this is an odd social policy for a government to "choose"... Unfortunately, flavor-wise the other way to do it is back to the "unseen alliances" well, which was already shown to be problematic to a certain extent as a policy - and also overlaps too much with that policy (assuming we keep the black ajah one around, which I think we will).

I'm thinking a kind of Black Market approach might be the best we can do, then. Underground Economy, that kind of thing. These have little to do with Pride, though. (We're still at 0% for pride-connection). What do you think?

The underground market flavor could work.

The flavor from the books is really that civs left their Waygates unguarded/unsealed, right? Can we do something with that? Waygate Abandonment? Or could we touch on the flavor of using the Ways too much, even though they're dangerous and that leads the Shadowspawn to you? Ways Exploration?

What if we rename Pride to Deceit? That's not as "possibly-admirable-but-probably-bad" balanced as Pride, which is why I prefer Pride, but it would make it much easier to fit these in. It's quite diametrically opposed to Integrity, which is less in keeping with how most of these have been, but is quite in keeping with how Power is, so there is precedent for it. Thoughts?

I'd be fine with changing that name, I think we almost went for Deceit (or was it Conceit?) first but switched back to Pride.

destroying dreamspikes with projections doesn't devalue the Dreamspike so much as it totally devalues the WBr, who is the only entity capable of destroying Dreamspikes.

Mostly moot, but WBrs would still be useful even in that case, right? (They have other good abilities.) Whereas nobody would build Dreamspikes since they can just be destroyed really easily.

I think this ability could work ok when paired with some other small bonus.

Cool, that's one candidate, though it's hard to have a Policy that does so much when the effects aren't really punchy to describe.

I feel like there's still a better option for a new Shadow ability here that we haven't quite found yet!

this is about dream warriors. I think this is only useful if it will very often kill the host. Otherwise, since projections will often be launched from safe places, the unit just heals up and its sort of pointless. Not a game changing thing unless it kills (maybe not always, but often).

With a high enough % it would kill often enough, and we can tweak that easily. Even when it doesn't kill them, it does importantly push them out of T'a'r for a time, so could be used as a part of a very offensive T'a'r push.

And also, the name "Tear from the Dream" is another example of a policy name that doesn't fit as a policy name.

Right, but we'd need to come up with a generic societal trait that connects to this, whereas "being torn from the Dream" is an actual canonical phrase that can be framed as a "practice", and reflects what the mechanic does. This seems to be where a lot of our difference on flavor preference comes from, that I've moved away from the societal trait phrasing where I think there are more catchy/canonical phrases available. Again, if there's a phrasing that's both then let's use that; I just couldn't come up with one last time.

I think I like this, in that it's kind of random but feels cool. That said, I'm not sure it will end up that practical. Hunting down nightmares to create SS in the main layer might feel like a side quest not worth doing. It could be adapted so you somehow "use" nightmares or something? (not quite flavorful, obviously). Like, when your projection is killed, x% chance of spawning a nightmare that you control? Weird, probably.

Or it could be as simple as killing a projection/LP in T'a'r has x% chance of spawning a shadowspawn (somehow)

Yeah, this could end up being too much work for the reward it gives out. For your latter suggestion, it could be a Shadowspawn unit under the civ's control, instead of the Shadowspawn civ? That would make it more worthwhile, though then overlaps a bit with being able to purchase Shadowspawn.

The other shadowy thing that folks did in T'a'r was enter it in the Flesh. Given that it can cost you your soul, this seems appropriate shadowy. Not sure how to spin this as a Policy name or a mechanic, though. We've already established that it breaks the system to have actual units wandering around in t'a'r, which is what people would expect, I think.

Yeah, I think people would expect that at first glance for the "enter in the flesh" flavor. This is also the flavor we've used for the Dreamwalker's ability.

The Forsaken frequently used T'a'r for spying/meeting, can we do more with that? Some kind of ability that reveals patches of the map (of the player's choice) with active sight for a time? Or a way to gain a glimpse at a narrowed list of positions of Seals every so often? ("There's at least one Seal in cities X, Y, and Z.")

yeah, I'm not open to this, especiallyif we go with the BSister one (which I still very much don't love). It *might* take away from the specialness of the stedding, but maybe not.

I'm a bit confused, because part of this sentence seems positive about the Ogier unit (it might not take away from Stedding, and the BSister point seems to be a "goes together" point), but you've led with you're "not open to this".

In terms of a "signature" Light unit, the Ogier seem to be the ones who represent that best. They're not as "representative" as Shadowspawn because Shadowspawn are everywhere, but the Ogier are generally Light aligned in the canon. (And as is reflected by our mechanics of Stedding tending toward the Light.) In terms of such a unit taking away from the Stedding, I think that's easily avoided by just not having any of the Stedding's unique units be the same. Some ability difference or effect conferred by Stedding ownership (rather than civ ownership through this Policy) would make them different enough that they would have their own roles.

Also, what's wrong with DWalker for both sides? Is that unit necessarily a good fit for Opportunity, or should it go better here?

I think the Dreamwalker could fit in here, but it's not an option that I find to be exciting for the player. I think we have other options that are compelling and unlikely to appear elsewhere, whereas the Dreamwalker could also fit on another tree/branch.

Hmmmm, I don't think so. As I understood it, isn't it just that you have X # of Aes Sedai, and then Y number of them leave when the LB starts (and, if your shadow, the ones that remain become BSisters)? So the quota would be a significant part of that calculation.

I think this is an important aspect to making Authority a meaningful choice for shadow civilizations. If the tower turns, and is evil, this makes obvious sense. But even if the tower doesn't turn, and you get fewer BSisters, it still makes sense that Authority/Quota would matter - your civ has the linkages and connections to the tower that have led it to be selected as a destination for all those BSisters.

So, IMO, if we eschew quota for black sisters, we're sort of throwing out a relatively key game mechanic that has been operation for the entire game.

Right, this still affects how many Black Sisters you have at the beginning of the LB. That mechanic of how they're created is as we've decided before in the summary. But the Tower also isn't giving out Black Sisters. Or at least I didn't think it was. Looking at the Diplo summary, this isn't 100% clear.

Does the Tower continue to give out Sisters in some capacity once the LB starts? How does that decision interact with players who are on the opposite side of the LB from the Tower? (A Light Tower presumably doesn't give Shadow players more Sisters? And vice versa?)

I was thinking, in the case of a Light Tower for example, that the Shadow players would otherwise have however many Black Sisters they get as a part of the mechanic above at the start of the LB and then be unable to get any more. (I believe we discussed and liked that change in scarcity when we were discussing how the Turning works?) A Policy like this would give them some more flexibility, but still keep scarcity because they can only possibly have so much Faith and the cost scales up like LP-Faith-purchase cost.

And Light players would be in a similar situation in the reverse, a Turned Tower is no longer giving out normal Sisters to them. Which would actually make Aes Sedai purchase-with-Faith after the LB starts a reasonable comparable finisher for Integrity? We can discuss that more as an option depending on what the above looks like.

As for the civs who are on the same side of the LB as the Tower - do they just continue to receive Sisters as normal, or does something change?

Calling a spade a spade, you seem really keen on having this policy, despite consistent objection from me. Usually I eventually retract my objection, and I probably will still do so, but I want to call attention to that beforehand. You've offered responses to my critiques that are reasonable and might be arguably correct, depending on your perspective. But I'm not sure the case has been made as to why this is necessarily the awesomest choice - rather, I've put you in the position to articulate clearly why it's not a *bad* choice, and you've done a pretty good job putting forth why it isn't a terrible idea.

But... why is this the best choice? The best argument I've seen is that it allows us the possibility to do the Ogier-on-one-side-BSisters-on-the-other thing, though I don't think the BSisters have to be the other side (could be Samma N'Sei or some other combat unit. Ogier units are cool combat units, but BSisters are way much more than that. The two units don't really have parity, IMO, though of course this could be reflected in their cost). Obviously BSisters comes with it a lot of nuance and connection to various other systems in the game, which seems to make it the riskier choice. Perhaps my comments on the Quota thing above snap this back into perspective.

I could be fine with this, but it feels like "a bit much" and kind of treacherous. If you really want a BSister aspect to the finisher, it could be something as simple as "Black Sisters are replaced X% more quicklyif they are killed" and then provide some other faith buy option.

Sorry if I'm making this awkward, but I do feel like this keeps bouncing back and forth....

No problem re awkwardness, we should be clear on why we choose stuff! Yeah, I've mostly been responding to why I don't think the Black Sister Policy has certain problems, or more specifically that I don't think we can know whether or not it has the kinds of balance problems that will lead us to remove it. (I think there are too many variables for us to know that now.)

The reason I think it's good is I think it's really recognizable and fun for the player. It's a really scarce unit that players will instantly recognize from the books and will make the Policy really impactful. I'd look at the ability to purchase Black Ajah Sisters as being really cool and potentially unexpected, but the Faith mechanic still makes some kind of flavor sense with how the Black Ajah worked. It also lets us create a cost system that can scale up aggressively to prevent players getting loads of Black Sisters. (We wouldn't want players to be able to just produce them, for example.)

The risk is that we have to remove it because it's too strong. But the above payoff is really cool, and our alternatives of things like the Wolfbrother, the Dreamwalker, or Shadowspawn won't be abandoned if we do try this, because there are places for them to be used elsewhere.

If it was operative for longer periods of the game, it could be cool to do a thing where you receive a yield for "fulfilling a promise." Right?

Yeah, that would be cool, but it is quite late to unlock for that and difficult for the player to incite that to be an option for them.

I'm beginning to wonder if FtP is actually going the right way, and if we might be better off with the Armed Stonemasons Policy that allows them to produce some kind of Ogier unit?

oh, I understand. Sorry, I'd confused that system in my mind.

I think the instantaneous of it creates problems. I think more than anything, it'll make player feel like they can't spend their faith, needing to keep a "reserve" of emergency SBearer production.

Also, this might give light players a weird advantage in the seal game we don't want... or do we?

Yeah, I'm unsure about this. It doesn't have to be a Light player Policy, I'm mostly floating the concept of a Sealbearer purchase existing somewhere, not yet sure whether it should go on one branch, on an unbranched Policy, or even as a Tenet.

The instant nature seems like it could mess with the Seal stealing meta. But again, scaling up costs with increased purchases creates a nice CiV-like soft ceiling on how much that could change things. The defending player also doesn't know exactly how long it will take for a stealing operation to complete, so they have no way of reliably "sniping" the Seal out of the city on the last turn. (Which still resets their progress, so waiting until the last minute doesn't really help them much.)

I'm noting while going through all this that I'm pretty much ready to move on from this topic. Not Policies, but this tree. We've hit it pretty hard over the last month. We're making progress, but it's somewhat incremental, so it might make more sense to move on and finalize this stuff in the next pass.
I see what you mean, but I'm seeing this as much more flexible for us because we can't just straight up use all of the "isms" from reality, because then it will just be the actual real world concepts. WoT doesn't give us these kind of named academic terms that represent equivalent forms of societal structure, so I think it pays to consider stuff like this as well. My suggestions from last time aren't intended to say that a "few people are like this", it's more about "people of this civilization tend to be like this" - which informs more about how certain systems would interact with their people. Given our classification of Fear/Acceptance as how people respond to channelers and the Philosophies as how governments do so, this seems consistent to me.

Not that I dislike your suggestions and if we can get the good "mercantilism" style names then let's go for those. But I think the "strange" versions of those that sound out of place are worse than the "representative traits of people" style. I've been trying to come up with these kinds of societal trait names on all of these posts, but have mostly found them lacking.

I do also think that very specific naming at this stage may be putting the cart before the horse. We may have to drastically change the mechanics of some of these Policies for balance reasons once we actually play them, which invalidates much of this discussion, which is largely flavorful. Without major guideposts from the canon like we have in other systems, I think a general impression of the flavor direction of something could be sufficient to even make the Policies playable.
I understand that things like "Mercantilism" are few and far between in this world (that's an interesting choice you bring up, since that's one I've been campaigning against for a few years now...), but those proper-noun "isms" isn't what I'm advocating for. Legalism was one example, but something like "Military Caste" is a much better example.

It's the part of speech that I'm stuck on, if that's the right term. Several of the one's you've proposed feel more like mottos and things like that. I remain convinced that consistency in this regard is required.

That said, you're quite right that it doesn't have to be decided in this pass. I'm happy asterisking the ones we aren't (I am not) sold on.

None of these have the ring of "Master Conspirators" to me. I do see what you mean about them being societal traits. They don't have the strength of the well defined "isms", I'd say, which is what drew me to the others. It's much of a muchness to me at this stage really though, the flavor of "conspiracy" as a concept fits the intended framing flavor of this policy well.
I would prefer most of these over Master Conspirators, though this one isn't the hugest deal. Again, part of speech: Conspiracy Mastery? Prevalent Conspiracies? Popular Conspiracies? Folk Conspiracy? I still think "Conspiracies" is relatively safe.

Nobody rediscovered the ability to do this in the books timeline, but given the mechanical sensibility of being able to purchase Shadowspawn as a mechanic, it seems like very appropriate flavor. The techniques to do so obviously exist in the canon and as readers we know Aginor invented them, using methods that weren't somehow exclusive to him. (It's implied that the Town produces Shadowspawn, right?) It seems like a very reasonable connection given what we're doing here.

I'm not sure we should dismiss the "science-y" ones so quickly, because I think the connection to Shadowspawn being "invented" life forms is quite easy for fans to make. Is there another way to connect back to Aginor's research without making it too science-y at the same time?
hmmmm, The Town. The Forgers and all that? That's very Thakandar, though. But your point is taken.

The name here is extremely tough. I'm not sold on the science thing, but I also don't have an obvious superior answer.

What about something vague like "Dark Secrets"? I know that sort of overlaps with the conspiracy thing, but it might cover what we're talking about while being vague enough to not totally create an expectation of science. Maybe "Dark Traditions"? I don't love how these relate to Pride or Conceit or Deceit, but maybe it's ok. Darn, I had a third idea here, but lost it. Maybe "Dark" isn't the right word. "Hidden Secrets" is too redundant. You had "Hidden Knowledge" or something before, but that didn't smell like a trait enough to me, and is overtly sciency - it's really close, though - possibly the best option, after all (not counting whatever happens below)

The underground market flavor could work.

The flavor from the books is really that civs left their Waygates unguarded/unsealed, right? Can we do something with that? Waygate Abandonment? Or could we touch on the flavor of using the Ways too much, even though they're dangerous and that leads the Shadowspawn to you? Ways Exploration?
Hmm, I think the Ways connection will be hard to make make any sense, without some degree of explanation. A Policy called "Ways Exploration" would 100% be expected to do something that relates to the Ways...

"Illicit Travel", "Smuggling," "Trafficking," etc.... Not sure I like any of these.

I'd be fine with changing that name, I think we almost went for Deceit (or was it Conceit?) first but switched back to Pride.
I think Conceit and Pride are similar enough concepts that Conceit will give us problems in the same way. I like Pride the most of these because it's sort of a Positive thing. Deceit is much more negative, but at least feels like a trait a society could theoretically have. Maybe go to Deceit?

Mostly moot, but WBrs would still be useful even in that case, right? (They have other good abilities.) Whereas nobody would build Dreamspikes since they can just be destroyed really easily.
yeah, either way, not something we want to gimp.

Cool, that's one candidate, though it's hard to have a Policy that does so much when the effects aren't really punchy to describe.

I feel like there's still a better option for a new Shadow ability here that we haven't quite found yet!
yeah.... Should we line these all up now and see what the "whole" looks like at this point? We've been very bogged down in the details. At this point there are some competing choices floating around, and I'm honestly not positive on which things are competing with which!

With a high enough % it would kill often enough, and we can tweak that easily. Even when it doesn't kill them, it does importantly push them out of T'a'r for a time, so could be used as a part of a very offensive T'a'r push.
ok.

Right, but we'd need to come up with a generic societal trait that connects to this, whereas "being torn from the Dream" is an actual canonical phrase that can be framed as a "practice", and reflects what the mechanic does. This seems to be where a lot of our difference on flavor preference comes from, that I've moved away from the societal trait phrasing where I think there are more catchy/canonical phrases available. Again, if there's a phrasing that's both then let's use that; I just couldn't come up with one last time.
If it can be framed as a practice, I'm on board. It's not the flavor I take issue with, but the phrasing/framing.

and also, to be clear... it's a silly notion as a practice. I don't really think, flavor-wise, tearing somebody from their dream is really something that can be consistently done or sought out. Birgitte and all that is a rather rare occurrence. The Entering the Flesh thing might be an easier thing to frame as a practice (since it could actually be one), though of course we've used that flavor on the DW

Yeah, this could end up being too much work for the reward it gives out. For your latter suggestion, it could be a Shadowspawn unit under the civ's control, instead of the Shadowspawn civ? That would make it more worthwhile, though then overlaps a bit with being able to purchase Shadowspawn.
right, that's definitely an overlap with the shadowspawn policy. If we do that one, we probably shouldn't do either of these choices, for that reason.

Yeah, I think people would expect that at first glance for the "enter in the flesh" flavor. This is also the flavor we've used for the Dreamwalker's ability.

The Forsaken frequently used T'a'r for spying/meeting, can we do more with that? Some kind of ability that reveals patches of the map (of the player's choice) with active sight for a time? Or a way to gain a glimpse at a narrowed list of positions of Seals every so often? ("There's at least one Seal in cities X, Y, and Z.")
If we do an ability like that, it has to be called Dreamspying. It's the only way that would make sense. I've lost track of where that name is living now!

As far as mechanics, maybe something like "Projections gain active sight in the real world while harvesting Glimmers" or something like that? I don't think it should be always.

I'm a bit confused, because part of this sentence seems positive about the Ogier unit (it might not take away from Stedding, and the BSister point seems to be a "goes together" point), but you've led with you're "not open to this".
yeah, totally unclear here. Wrong, that is. the "not" is wrong. Should state that I AM open to this. sorry
In terms of a "signature" Light unit, the Ogier seem to be the ones who represent that best. They're not as "representative" as Shadowspawn because Shadowspawn are everywhere, but the Ogier are generally Light aligned in the canon. (And as is reflected by our mechanics of Stedding tending toward the Light.) In terms of such a unit taking away from the Stedding, I think that's easily avoided by just not having any of the Stedding's unique units be the same. Some ability difference or effect conferred by Stedding ownership (rather than civ ownership through this Policy) would make them different enough that they would have their own roles.
Right. Agreed. Though, I think if we do this, we have to reconsider whether stedding can *ever* go shadow. It doesn't make sense to permit light units to build a bunch of ogier units, when the whole map's worth of stedding have all gone shadow.

I think the light-permanence of the stedding is something we could/should consider, as a kind of counterpoint to the shadowspawn. The problem with that, as far as I can tell, is it messes with any shadow diplo civs, and makes Friendship (the branch) incompatible with Shadow leaning. That's bad. Any way around that?

I think the Dreamwalker could fit in here, but it's not an option that I find to be exciting for the player. I think we have other options that are compelling and unlikely to appear elsewhere, whereas the Dreamwalker could also fit on another tree/branch.
sure.

Right, this still affects how many Black Sisters you have at the beginning of the LB. That mechanic of how they're created is as we've decided before in the summary. But the Tower also isn't giving out Black Sisters. Or at least I didn't think it was. Looking at the Diplo summary, this isn't 100% clear.

Does the Tower continue to give out Sisters in some capacity once the LB starts? How does that decision interact with players who are on the opposite side of the LB from the Tower? (A Light Tower presumably doesn't give Shadow players more Sisters? And vice versa?)

I was thinking, in the case of a Light Tower for example, that the Shadow players would otherwise have however many Black Sisters they get as a part of the mechanic above at the start of the LB and then be unable to get any more. (I believe we discussed and liked that change in scarcity when we were discussing how the Turning works?) A Policy like this would give them some more flexibility, but still keep scarcity because they can only possibly have so much Faith and the cost scales up like LP-Faith-purchase cost.

And Light players would be in a similar situation in the reverse, a Turned Tower is no longer giving out normal Sisters to them. Which would actually make Aes Sedai purchase-with-Faith after the LB starts a reasonable comparable finisher for Integrity? We can discuss that more as an option depending on what the above looks like.

As for the civs who are on the same side of the LB as the Tower - do they just continue to receive Sisters as normal, or does something change?
ok, lots to consider here! I should say that figuring this out is the path to making this policy/finisher work. If we choose a good system for what happens during hte LB, I think I become fine with the BSister with Faith.

First of all, I'd like to create a system in which Authority matters to a shadow civ, as does the Diplomacy branch of Politics (is it still called that? That's a bad name, IMO... considering we have a Diplomatic victory). Some of the ideas above would essentially make them all meaningless.

As far as I see it, these are the possible paths forward:

1) Side that controls the Tower gets new Aes Sedai, loser doesn't
2) Light side gets new Aes Sedai, Shadow doesn't
3) Both sides constantly get Aes Sedai

It sounds like #1 is where your proposal lives. I think this one makes sense, but leaves us with the least mechanical flexibility and nuance. We'd essentially have to present a light aes sedai faith buy option here, and I don't think we want that. The reason is that the Tower will usually *not* turn, since it's supposed to be a challenge to do it. Thus, the policy/finisher becomes something that's useful only for restocking your dead sisters, which is fine, but in most games it'll be much, much less vital, since the Light will usually control the Tower, so a civ's quota might sit at 8 or something, instead of 2 or something, and that replacement of a Sister is way less impactful. In other words, it's an unbalanced policy.

IMO, the "punishment" for losing the Tower (for either side) is big enough as is: 1)A huge dropoff in your quota, as well as the max exodus of some of your sisters, and 2)ruined diplomatic relations with he Tower. (on this note, like with stedding, we do need to choose policies carefully so that a "losing" civ that went all in on Politics isn't left with nothing). So I think I'd prefer the replenishment of dead Aes Sedai not also be affected by who controls the tower.

I think #2 could certainly work. It actually makes a good deal of flavorful sense. A turned tower is likely still "officially good," in that their policies remain in place as they were, and a large number of sisters would go on, blissfully unaware of the evilness of their institutions. The Turning of the tower was unlikely to be a full on, public coup, so much as a shadow puppet kind of thing, I'd say.

Doing this option allows us to also use this Policy as a possible counterpoint to this - Light and neutral players always get their Sisters replenished, but Shadows have to use the faith buy.

Since that does kind of gimp Shadow players who choose Authority (although they'd get a larger quota) and Diplomacy, perhaps the better way to do it would be to still allow replenishment for everybody, but make it slower for shadow civs (we don't want it to feel like double jeapardy - you lose your sisters AND you never get them back). Then, who controls the tower could be a modifier on top of that. So, something like:

This option is perhaps the least "fair," but it does allow for the possibility of the policy the most, IMO.

#3 is probably the most fair and the simplest. We leave the changed quotas and messed up diplomacy as the big consequences of losing the tower. This also likely preserves the integrity of Authority and Diplomacy the most. It also feels the least punitive. This is most likely the choice I would select. However, your policy proposal throws a wrench in this. With BSisters being on equal footing, then their faith-buy brings up all the imbalance I've been whining about in recent posts. If it's, by contrast, an asymmetrical system, as #2, then suddenly the faith buy of the black S's becomes a necessary and cool mechanic.

What do you think?

No problem re awkwardness, we should be clear on why we choose stuff! Yeah, I've mostly been responding to why I don't think the Black Sister Policy has certain problems, or more specifically that I don't think we can know whether or not it has the kinds of balance problems that will lead us to remove it. (I think there are too many variables for us to know that now.)

The reason I think it's good is I think it's really recognizable and fun for the player. It's a really scarce unit that players will instantly recognize from the books and will make the Policy really impactful. I'd look at the ability to purchase Black Ajah Sisters as being really cool and potentially unexpected, but the Faith mechanic still makes some kind of flavor sense with how the Black Ajah worked. It also lets us create a cost system that can scale up aggressively to prevent players getting loads of Black Sisters. (We wouldn't want players to be able to just produce them, for example.)

The risk is that we have to remove it because it's too strong. But the above payoff is really cool, and our alternatives of things like the Wolfbrother, the Dreamwalker, or Shadowspawn won't be abandoned if we do try this, because there are places for them to be used elsewhere.
right, my thoughts on this are above. I'm ok with doing this, assuming it is paired with the appropriate Tower mechanic! Otherwise, Black Sisters become more numerous than White, which I find uncomfortable.

Yeah, that would be cool, but it is quite late to unlock for that and difficult for the player to incite that to be an option for them.

I'm beginning to wonder if FtP is actually going the right way, and if we might be better off with the Armed Stonemasons Policy that allows them to produce some kind of Ogier unit?
I think the Ogier one is fine... if we can find away to make it make sense with the diplo game we've set up!

Yeah, I'm unsure about this. It doesn't have to be a Light player Policy, I'm mostly floating the concept of a Sealbearer purchase existing somewhere, not yet sure whether it should go on one branch, on an unbranched Policy, or even as a Tenet.

The instant nature seems like it could mess with the Seal stealing meta. But again, scaling up costs with increased purchases creates a nice CiV-like soft ceiling on how much that could change things. The defending player also doesn't know exactly how long it will take for a stealing operation to complete, so they have no way of reliably "sniping" the Seal out of the city on the last turn. (Which still resets their progress, so waiting until the last minute doesn't really help them much.)
I think I'd mostly feel better keeping Seal stuff out of this branch. Unless we go very all-in on it, and give each side a kind of equivalent mechanic that relates to it. hmmmm (again, kind of lost track of what this exactly competes with!)

Advance warning, I will not be here tomorrow or Wednesday. Possibly not on Thursday, I'll have to see about that!

I'm noting while going through all this that I'm pretty much ready to move on from this topic. Not Policies, but this tree. We've hit it pretty hard over the last month. We're making progress, but it's somewhat incremental, so it might make more sense to move on and finalize this stuff in the next pass.

Cool, I've moved to close off a lot of quote blocks below with the suggestion that we'll revisit phrasing later. We still have a bit of mechanical stuff about the Tower that I think we need to resolve and then we can make a final call on some of the last couple of Policies (replacement for Borderland Raiders, replacement for Dreamspying, and finishers on both sides).

I understand that things like "Mercantilism" are few and far between in this world (that's an interesting choice you bring up, since that's one I've been campaigning against for a few years now...), but those proper-noun "isms" isn't what I'm advocating for. Legalism was one example, but something like "Military Caste" is a much better example.

It's the part of speech that I'm stuck on, if that's the right term. Several of the one's you've proposed feel more like mottos and things like that. I remain convinced that consistency in this regard is required.

That said, you're quite right that it doesn't have to be decided in this pass. I'm happy asterisking the ones we aren't (I am not) sold on.

Sounds good. Changing these later is super easy as well, so we've got a lot of time to iterate on our favorites later (or even take player suggestions).

I would prefer most of these over Master Conspirators, though this one isn't the hugest deal. Again, part of speech: Conspiracy Mastery? Prevalent Conspiracies? Popular Conspiracies? Folk Conspiracy? I still think "Conspiracies" is relatively safe.

Conspiracies works for me then.

hmmmm, The Town. The Forgers and all that? That's very Thakandar, though. But your point is taken.

The name here is extremely tough. I'm not sold on the science thing, but I also don't have an obvious superior answer.

What about something vague like "Dark Secrets"? I know that sort of overlaps with the conspiracy thing, but it might cover what we're talking about while being vague enough to not totally create an expectation of science. Maybe "Dark Traditions"? I don't love how these relate to Pride or Conceit or Deceit, but maybe it's ok. Darn, I had a third idea here, but lost it. Maybe "Dark" isn't the right word. "Hidden Secrets" is too redundant. You had "Hidden Knowledge" or something before, but that didn't smell like a trait enough to me, and is overtly sciency - it's really close, though - possibly the best option, after all (not counting whatever happens below)

Sounds like we can put a pin in Hidden Knowledge for now and try to come up with something more appropriate at another time!

Hmm, I think the Ways connection will be hard to make make any sense, without some degree of explanation. A Policy called "Ways Exploration" would 100% be expected to do something that relates to the Ways...

"Illicit Travel", "Smuggling," "Trafficking," etc.... Not sure I like any of these.

Agreed, we don't have enough room in the name to explain the Ways connection. We'll revisit this then!

I think Conceit and Pride are similar enough concepts that Conceit will give us problems in the same way. I like Pride the most of these because it's sort of a Positive thing. Deceit is much more negative, but at least feels like a trait a society could theoretically have. Maybe go to Deceit?

Maybe we should stick it out with Pride? Thinking about this more, a subsequent flavor dive on the Policies on this side (done later on in the process) might be able to make them consistent with the notion of Pride as flavor, and Pride is the more favorable of the two options, if we can make it work, as you've said.

yeah.... Should we line these all up now and see what the "whole" looks like at this point? We've been very bogged down in the details. At this point there are some competing choices floating around, and I'm honestly not positive on which things are competing with which!

Yes, I've gone back and edited the tree summary post on the previous page with what I think is the latest information! Hopefullt that gives a good top level view on what we've decided so far. Let me know if I missed anything.

If it can be framed as a practice, I'm on board. It's not the flavor I take issue with, but the phrasing/framing.

and also, to be clear... it's a silly notion as a practice. I don't really think, flavor-wise, tearing somebody from their dream is really something that can be consistently done or sought out. Birgitte and all that is a rather rare occurrence. The Entering the Flesh thing might be an easier thing to frame as a practice (since it could actually be one), though of course we've used that flavor on the DW

Entering in the Flesh and Tearing from the Dream seem relatively similar as a practice, flavor wise. Slayer and the Forsaken are the only people to Enter in the Flesh in the canon, right? (The Forsaken do do that, right, or did they always just project?) Seems like one could certainly seek out pulling the heroes out of T'a'r once you know they're in there while not currently spun into the Pattern. (Information that several books timeline characters obtain.)

We can revisit the phrasing later as well.

right, that's definitely an overlap with the shadowspawn policy. If we do that one, we probably shouldn't do either of these choices, for that reason.

Agreed, and the Shadowspawn purchase Policy seems pretty safe to me, in some form or another, so let's not do this T'a'r-nightmares-into-Shadowspawn thing then.

If we do an ability like that, it has to be called Dreamspying. It's the only way that would make sense. I've lost track of where that name is living now!

Agreed, the mechanics of this ability are definitely the best fit for Dreamspying.

The other main candidate for the name Dreamspying is the FtP Policy on the end of Integrity. We're considering pulling that out below, so let's see where that takes us before we try to come up with anything else here (assuming we go with this reveal-from-T'a'r Policy for Pride).

As far as mechanics, maybe something like "Projections gain active sight in the real world while harvesting Glimmers" or something like that? I don't think it should be always.

Agreed, I don't think it should be permanent either. I was suggesting something like the airplane's "air sweep" ability, that revealed a targeted area within range of the projection in the main layer for a short time (single turn? maybe 2?). Revealing while harvesting Glimmers could work, but it means the player can't be as deliberate about where they're spying, so it will be less useful and it doesn't feel overpowered even on a targeted location.

Right. Agreed. Though, I think if we do this, we have to reconsider whether stedding can *ever* go shadow. It doesn't make sense to permit light units to build a bunch of ogier units, when the whole map's worth of stedding have all gone shadow.

I think the light-permanence of the stedding is something we could/should consider, as a kind of counterpoint to the shadowspawn. The problem with that, as far as I can tell, is it messes with any shadow diplo civs, and makes Friendship (the branch) incompatible with Shadow leaning. That's bad. Any way around that?

I don't think an Oiger-unit-purchase Policy creates this dependency. If the whole map's worth of Stedding has gone Shadow, that seems like something that would be very strange unto itself and something that already makes that game stand out as unusual. There's ample room for there to still be Light-aligned Ogier (as in individual people who make up the unit) even in that case.

I don't think we want to disallow Shadow Stedding. It creates a mechanical Diplomatic problem for Shadow players as you've mentioned. It also feels quite un-CiV-like to have such a distinct hard boundary on what these essentially CS variants can do during the LB. And flavor wise I'm not too sold on it either, if a Stedding is constantly surrounded and influenced by clearly Shadow-aligned political powers, I don't see them coming out of that unscathed. The Ogier from Seanchan were certainly much more ruthless and demonstrate that there's a lot of breadth to Ogier temperament and alignment (even if they aren't Shadow themselves).

I think our previous approach of Stedding being more difficult to turn to the Shadow makes a lot of sense. The Stedding flavor pushes them Light, which creates that mechanic, but the circumstances of a single game should be the larger factor in that game.

ok, lots to consider here! I should say that figuring this out is the path to making this policy/finisher work. If we choose a good system for what happens during hte LB, I think I become fine with the BSister with Faith.

First of all, I'd like to create a system in which Authority matters to a shadow civ, as does the Diplomacy branch of Politics (is it still called that? That's a bad name, IMO... considering we have a Diplomatic victory). Some of the ideas above would essentially make them all meaningless.

As far as I see it, these are the possible paths forward:

1) Side that controls the Tower gets new Aes Sedai, loser doesn't
2) Light side gets new Aes Sedai, Shadow doesn't
3) Both sides constantly get Aes Sedai

It sounds like #1 is where your proposal lives. I think this one makes sense, but leaves us with the least mechanical flexibility and nuance. We'd essentially have to present a light aes sedai faith buy option here, and I don't think we want that. The reason is that the Tower will usually *not* turn, since it's supposed to be a challenge to do it. Thus, the policy/finisher becomes something that's useful only for restocking your dead sisters, which is fine, but in most games it'll be much, much less vital, since the Light will usually control the Tower, so a civ's quota might sit at 8 or something, instead of 2 or something, and that replacement of a Sister is way less impactful. In other words, it's an unbalanced policy.

IMO, the "punishment" for losing the Tower (for either side) is big enough as is: 1)A huge dropoff in your quota, as well as the max exodus of some of your sisters, and 2)ruined diplomatic relations with he Tower. (on this note, like with stedding, we do need to choose policies carefully so that a "losing" civ that went all in on Politics isn't left with nothing). So I think I'd prefer the replenishment of dead Aes Sedai not also be affected by who controls the tower.

I think #2 could certainly work. It actually makes a good deal of flavorful sense. A turned tower is likely still "officially good," in that their policies remain in place as they were, and a large number of sisters would go on, blissfully unaware of the evilness of their institutions. The Turning of the tower was unlikely to be a full on, public coup, so much as a shadow puppet kind of thing, I'd say.

Doing this option allows us to also use this Policy as a possible counterpoint to this - Light and neutral players always get their Sisters replenished, but Shadows have to use the faith buy.

Since that does kind of gimp Shadow players who choose Authority (although they'd get a larger quota) and Diplomacy, perhaps the better way to do it would be to still allow replenishment for everybody, but make it slower for shadow civs (we don't want it to feel like double jeapardy - you lose your sisters AND you never get them back). Then, who controls the tower could be a modifier on top of that. So, something like:

This option is perhaps the least "fair," but it does allow for the possibility of the policy the most, IMO.

#3 is probably the most fair and the simplest. We leave the changed quotas and messed up diplomacy as the big consequences of losing the tower. This also likely preserves the integrity of Authority and Diplomacy the most. It also feels the least punitive. This is most likely the choice I would select. However, your policy proposal throws a wrench in this. With BSisters being on equal footing, then their faith-buy brings up all the imbalance I've been whining about in recent posts. If it's, by contrast, an asymmetrical system, as #2, then suddenly the faith buy of the black S's becomes a necessary and cool mechanic.

What do you think?

Whatever we decide here, I don't know how I'm going to fit it into the Diplo summary. :p

I like the 3 options, they seem pretty diverse in our choices and represent good mechanical foundations to build off of for how Sisters work during the LB. I also totally agree that how this works will make the purchasing Black Ajah Sisters with Faith work or not.

I would see them slightly differently to how you've described them though, even in absence of the Policy.

I'd say my main issue with #3 would be flavor. The framing of how our LB mechanics works has our civs openly declaring for one side or the other in the LB and given that the Turning affects the Tower's choice, I figured the Tower was doing the same thing. If the Turning succeeded, then something like one of the Forsaken being elected Amyrlin or a known Black Ajah Sister like Alviarin. They would be openly working with the Shadowspawn civ mechanically, which makes the flavor of an open allegiance seem to fit better to me. That doesn't work so well with a mechanic that still distributes Sisters to both sides, without some kind of Tower Schism to justify that (which I don't think we should do since it's significant complexity to introduce and the LB is already complicated).

I'd also say for significant consideration with all of them that the time scale of the LB drastically changes the usefulness of the system of allocating Sisters that has been in use for the game up until that point. The LB is ~50 turns long by our usual estimation and the cycle time for the Tower to go through all civs is listed as 20-30 turns, so that will only happen twice (possibly even just once) during the course of the LB. Even Light civs siding with a Light Tower would have significant usefulness from being able to purchase Sisters at a time when they're so key to success.

That brings us around to purchasing Sister units with Faith for the Light side as an option. I mentioned it briefly before and didn't go into any detail since we were discussing other aspects of the Sister system, but overall I think this could work quite well and would be a good foil to the Black Sister purchase Policy. Even with a quota of 8, refilling Sister units can be pivotal during the LB, when they're at their most effective (least restrained by the Three Oaths, since Shadow players and Shadowspawn are the enemies they'll often be fighting). And like Black Sisters, Sister units are a very flavorful and powerful unit that the player otherwise normally has significantly restricted access to.

In terms of Shadow civs tending to have fewer Sisters and how that overlaps with the value of purchasing, I think that's intended. Notably Black Sisters are strictly better mechanically than Light Sisters. They have an Ajah and the same set of abilities available to them as Light Sisters, and in addition have no restriction on who they can attack (relevant for dealing with Neutral civs) and have the Black Sisters' Compulsion ability. So it makes sense for them to be less numerous on average. (I would only expect to see Black Sisters become the more numerous if the Tower is Turned and a couple of very Tower-Diplo-oriented civs declared Shadow.)

Having Sisters purchaseable on both sides of the LB after the LB starts also creates a nice symmetry with their unlock time, while also having a good flavor justification (the Sisters being sent to fight more readily as the LB means everything is at stake). We can of course use that same justification for Ogier/Shadowspawn, but it's obviously not the same symmetry, so a small point.

Coming back around to the options, I wouldn't be inclined to go for option 2, because that feels like it cheapens the Turning too much for the Shadow players. If they go through all of this work to Turn the Tower, which is difficult and doesn't happen every game, then I'd expect them to be able to deny the Light significant resources. The quota hit is big, as you've said, but additional stuff like them no longer being given Sisters goes a long way to making that flavorfully consistent without actually being too punishing (each individual Light civ wouldn't get that many Sisters from the Tower over the course of the LB anyway).

I think capturing the feeling of the Tower being "on your side" when it chooses one way or the other is quite important here, which leads me toward option 1. It feels strange to me that a mechanic like the Sister distribution would continue unaffected by the Tower's and the civs' choices which should clearly place them at odds with each other.

I think I'd mostly feel better keeping Seal stuff out of this branch. Unless we go very all-in on it, and give each side a kind of equivalent mechanic that relates to it. hmmmm (again, kind of lost track of what this exactly competes with!)

This doesn't compete with anything, I was suggesting it as an open-ended option for anywhere in the tree. I think I agree, the Seals are probably a better fit on Tenets than Policies.

Advance warning, I will not be here tomorrow or Wednesday. Possibly not on Thursday, I'll have to see about that!
Fine... then I... I.. I won't be here either!

Conspiracies works for me then.
good!

Sounds like we can put a pin in Hidden Knowledge for now and try to come up with something more appropriate at another time!
yes, do.

Agreed, we don't have enough room in the name to explain the Ways connection. We'll revisit this then!
Yeah. I'm not sure "Careless Use of the Waygates which Allows Shadowspawn to Come In and Kill People But Also Help You Because You are Shadow-Aligned" flows very well or would fit in the policy description.

Maybe we should stick it out with Pride? Thinking about this more, a subsequent flavor dive on the Policies on this side (done later on in the process) might be able to make them consistent with the notion of Pride as flavor, and Pride is the more favorable of the two options, if we can make it work, as you've said.
Yeah, it's tough, because Pride is my favorite of them in an abstract sense, but probably the trickiest to align with specific policies. So, let's table it for now until we get more into the flavor precision later.

Plus, by that point, we'll presumably have a better idea how well the other trees/branches/policies are flavorfully aligned. If it turns out they aren't, we have less of a problem. (i still hope to align them, though)

Yes, I've gone back and edited the tree summary post on the previous page with what I think is the latest information! Hopefullt that gives a good top level view on what we've decided so far. Let me know if I missed anything.
ok, yeah, so now it's clear. We're looking to replace BRaiders and DSpying, potentially.

Also, your hidden knowledge description looks like it's missing a few words. probably fine for now.

Entering in the Flesh and Tearing from the Dream seem relatively similar as a practice, flavor wise. Slayer and the Forsaken are the only people to Enter in the Flesh in the canon, right? (The Forsaken do do that, right, or did they always just project?) Seems like one could certainly seek out pulling the heroes out of T'a'r once you know they're in there while not currently spun into the Pattern. (Information that several books timeline characters obtain.)

We can revisit the phrasing later as well.
Didn't Perrin enter in the flesh? I seem to recall it being Super Dangerous but that's how he got so awesome in the end there. Definitely, I'd say Tearing from the Dream is way more obscure, in terms of a practice that would be consistently done, though.

Agreed, and the Shadowspawn purchase Policy seems pretty safe to me, in some form or another, so let's not do this T'a'r-nightmares-into-Shadowspawn thing then.
agreed

Agreed, the mechanics of this ability are definitely the best fit for Dreamspying.

The other main candidate for the name Dreamspying is the FtP Policy on the end of Integrity. We're considering pulling that out below, so let's see where that takes us before we try to come up with anything else here (assuming we go with this reveal-from-T'a'r Policy for Pride).
Yeah, the detection of anything from Projections would definitely make sense to be DSpying.

Agreed, I don't think it should be permanent either. I was suggesting something like the airplane's "air sweep" ability, that revealed a targeted area within range of the projection in the main layer for a short time (single turn? maybe 2?). Revealing while harvesting Glimmers could work, but it means the player can't be as deliberate about where they're spying, so it will be less useful and it doesn't feel overpowered even on a targeted location.
Just for my own reminder, this is an evolution of Following the Pattern, which would replace BRaiders, right? Or is this a shadow one...?

Yeah, I think those kinds of "Special Moves" are the thing that feels awkward for us to add via policy. I'm fine with situational bonuses and such, but giving a custom mission via policy kind of feels a "bit much," even if it mechanically mirrors something we might otherwise do without a mission.

So, I agree that the Glimmer thing take's away the directedness of this, which is problematic, but it also makes it cease to be a custom mission, which I like - another way to do that?

If we're talking about detecting EaE (as in FtP), we could do a % chance when in proximity or something. The actual active vision is one that's tough to allow without a custom mission or relying on something like "when the Projection is expended" (which feels ok, but then requires you to strategically place it when it dies, which is not ok).

Getting sometimes-active vision in the main layer does feel like the appropriate bonus for this kind of thing, though. Just not quite sure how to implement it.

Also, how are we visually going to indicate the whole "you have active vision on t'a'r but not the main layer" or "you have active vision on the main layer but not on t'a'r"?

I don't think an Oiger-unit-purchase Policy creates this dependency. If the whole map's worth of Stedding has gone Shadow, that seems like something that would be very strange unto itself and something that already makes that game stand out as unusual. There's ample room for there to still be Light-aligned Ogier (as in individual people who make up the unit) even in that case.
OK, I agree. Definitely possible that you'd have some ogier willing to fight for you, even if the institutions were all bad.

I don't think we want to disallow Shadow Stedding. It creates a mechanical Diplomatic problem for Shadow players as you've mentioned. It also feels quite un-CiV-like to have such a distinct hard boundary on what these essentially CS variants can do during the LB. And flavor wise I'm not too sold on it either, if a Stedding is constantly surrounded and influenced by clearly Shadow-aligned political powers, I don't see them coming out of that unscathed. The Ogier from Seanchan were certainly much more ruthless and demonstrate that there's a lot of breadth to Ogier temperament and alignment (even if they aren't Shadow themselves).

I think our previous approach of Stedding being more difficult to turn to the Shadow makes a lot of sense. The Stedding flavor pushes them Light, which creates that mechanic, but the circumstances of a single game should be the larger factor in that game.
ok, I agree here as well. The Seanchan, though not shadow, provide evidence for Ogier bending to the cultural norms of nearby humans. And yes, it certainly is easier for us, mechanically, and more civ-balanced, to do it this way.

Whatever we decide here, I don't know how I'm going to fit it into the Diplo summary. :p
oh no! Worst case, we could split off a "White Tower Summary," I suppose.

I like the 3 options, they seem pretty diverse in our choices and represent good mechanical foundations to build off of for how Sisters work during the LB. I also totally agree that how this works will make the purchasing Black Ajah Sisters with Faith work or not.

I would see them slightly differently to how you've described them though, even in absence of the Policy.

I'd say my main issue with #3 would be flavor. The framing of how our LB mechanics works has our civs openly declaring for one side or the other in the LB and given that the Turning affects the Tower's choice, I figured the Tower was doing the same thing. If the Turning succeeded, then something like one of the Forsaken being elected Amyrlin or a known Black Ajah Sister like Alviarin. They would be openly working with the Shadowspawn civ mechanically, which makes the flavor of an open allegiance seem to fit better to me. That doesn't work so well with a mechanic that still distributes Sisters to both sides, without some kind of Tower Schism to justify that (which I don't think we should do since it's significant complexity to introduce and the LB is already complicated).
I see what you mean, and broadly I agree. I do think we could use the flavor (flavor only) of a Tower Schism to justify the "losers" still joining other civs, though. It's quite easy to say, in a Light-sided Tower, "A Black Sister has joined you!" and believe it. Similarly, we could do something like "A Rebel Sister has joined you!" if the Tower has turned.

I will say, putting Sister units aside momentarily, we are kind of up against the same concern described above for the Ogier. If somebody's gone all in on Tower throughout the game, and the Respect branch, etc., as well as Authority, (ah, that was the name!), cutting off their ability to work with the Tower at all might be a bit much, assuming their side loses. That's just the nature of the beast, though, right? I suppose we just need to make sure some of the policies in Respect and Friendship still provide bonuses, regardless of which side those entities choose in the LB, right?

I'd also say for significant consideration with all of them that the time scale of the LB drastically changes the usefulness of the system of allocating Sisters that has been in use for the game up until that point. The LB is ~50 turns long by our usual estimation and the cycle time for the Tower to go through all civs is listed as 20-30 turns, so that will only happen twice (possibly even just once) during the course of the LB. Even Light civs siding with a Light Tower would have significant usefulness from being able to purchase Sisters at a time when they're so key to success.
Yeah, this is a huge point that I hadn't considered. It's likely you'd only be getting one or two sisters anyways, so this is mechanically close to moot - the other things we do when the LB start (how we divide up the Sisters initially, etc.) matter much more. (The changes in diplo and trade and stuff do still matter a bunch, though). Even the winners would only receive a couple sisters in replacement throughout the whole conflict.

The whole Sisters-Ajah-abilities-depend-on-relationships-with-the-Tower-and-each-Ajah thing is also at play here - we don't want to reset folks to Tier 1 because their side "loses" right? Even if we allow them to have a set of sisters that flee at their current level, won't that level rapidly decay due to the lack of diplo and the systems we've already created?

we could of course elect to eliminate replenishment completely during this window - perhaps nobody'd miss it, and it does allow us to balance things carefully.

I think it is important to remember that, if I'm understanding your proposal correctly, buying Sisters will only be available to folks who adopt the Ethics tree. I think that makes it important for us to not consider this as an assumed form of compensation for everybody - we should assume that a fair number of civs/players won't always want to or be able to go heavy into Alignment, though they might still be using channelers heavily. This might suggest we should keep Sister Replacement active for both... or remove it for both, lest this becomes a "must choose" Tree that will be largely useless to many civs.

That brings us around to purchasing Sister units with Faith for the Light side as an option. I mentioned it briefly before and didn't go into any detail since we were discussing other aspects of the Sister system, but overall I think this could work quite well and would be a good foil to the Black Sister purchase Policy. Even with a quota of 8, refilling Sister units can be pivotal during the LB, when they're at their most effective (least restrained by the Three Oaths, since Shadow players and Shadowspawn are the enemies they'll often be fighting). And like Black Sisters, Sister units are a very flavorful and powerful unit that the player otherwise normally has significantly restricted access to.

In terms of Shadow civs tending to have fewer Sisters and how that overlaps with the value of purchasing, I think that's intended. Notably Black Sisters are strictly better mechanically than Light Sisters. They have an Ajah and the same set of abilities available to them as Light Sisters, and in addition have no restriction on who they can attack (relevant for dealing with Neutral civs) and have the Black Sisters' Compulsion ability. So it makes sense for them to be less numerous on average. (I would only expect to see Black Sisters become the more numerous if the Tower is Turned and a couple of very Tower-Diplo-oriented civs declared Shadow.)

Having Sisters purchaseable on both sides of the LB after the LB starts also creates a nice symmetry with their unlock time, while also having a good flavor justification (the Sisters being sent to fight more readily as the LB means everything is at stake). We can of course use that same justification for Ogier/Shadowspawn, but it's obviously not the same symmetry, so a small point.
OK, so just to be clear, you're proposing here that:

- The Winner gets sister replenishment
- Both sides can unlock Sister-Buy via their Policy Finishers

Correct? (noting that I am calling the sister replenishment into question above)

I'm fine with it, I think. It certainly makes things simpler. That said, there are some questions/challenges.

- Does this unlock when all the faith-buys unlock (usually era 5, I think), or does the open up only when the LB starts?

Does this have anything to do with Quota? Can you go past your quota? How far past? I think we don't really want people to be able to "Bulb" with these ladies in the LB - does this function predominantly as a sister replacement tool (so you can be aggressive with Sisters, because you'll always have a new one), or a recruitment tool (so you can get tons of sisters)? These create very, very different playstyles

This also makes a rather huge difference in terms of how high we have to set the cost (or how steep the scaling of cost needs to be). I think I'd like it to be still a viable strategy to buy them periodically before the LB (if it's possible), and not make it too steep of an opportunity cost to save your cheap-priced Sisters for late in the game. (Bulbing with GS's for instance, is somewhat viable, but it's not categorically better than buying your GSs earlier - since Sisters will auto-replenish earlier in the game, this greatly incentivizes holding onto your buys until the end of the game). Basically, the late-game bulbing just makes this all harder to balance.

Lastly, are these available only for folks who choose the side? What about neutral players who have this tree? Do they get the faith buy? (I assume opposite-side players wouldn't). Similar question - what happens to neutral civs when the Tower Turns?

Coming back around to the options, I wouldn't be inclined to go for option 2, because that feels like it cheapens the Turning too much for the Shadow players. If they go through all of this work to Turn the Tower, which is difficult and doesn't happen every game, then I'd expect them to be able to deny the Light significant resources. The quota hit is big, as you've said, but additional stuff like them no longer being given Sisters goes a long way to making that flavorfully consistent without actually being too punishing (each individual Light civ wouldn't get that many Sisters from the Tower over the course of the LB anyway).

I think capturing the feeling of the Tower being "on your side" when it chooses one way or the other is quite important here, which leads me toward option 1. It feels strange to me that a mechanic like the Sister distribution would continue unaffected by the Tower's and the civs' choices which should clearly place them at odds with each other.
yeah, I think I agree.

This doesn't compete with anything, I was suggesting it as an open-ended option for anywhere in the tree. I think I agree, the Seals are probably a better fit on Tenets than Policies.
Right now we have the 25% seal research as a part of the RLeague on Integrity. We can see if that survives. If it does, it probably should have some analogue in Pride, right?

Sorry to break up the conversation, but no matter where I look, I cannot find any version of this mod out there, or any statement as to how far from a release the mod is. I have been following this mod for quite a while, and made an account to ask, is there any information on how far into development this mod is?

Fine... then I... I.. I won't be here either!

I'm also not here tomorrow! I don't know how my social calendar has become quite so crazy, but I'll be back on Sunday!

Yeah. I'm not sure "Careless Use of the Waygates which Allows Shadowspawn to Come In and Kill People But Also Help You Because You are Shadow-Aligned" flows very well or would fit in the policy description.

This is clearly the best name for this Policy and we should use it going forward. :p

Yeah, it's tough, because Pride is my favorite of them in an abstract sense, but probably the trickiest to align with specific policies. So, let's table it for now until we get more into the flavor precision later.

Plus, by that point, we'll presumably have a better idea how well the other trees/branches/policies are flavorfully aligned. If it turns out they aren't, we have less of a problem. (i still hope to align them, though)

Sounds good! Sticking with Pride until we know more!

Also, your hidden knowledge description looks like it's missing a few words. probably fine for now.

Woops, fixed!

Didn't Perrin enter in the flesh? I seem to recall it being Super Dangerous but that's how he got so awesome in the end there. Definitely, I'd say Tearing from the Dream is way more obscure, in terms of a practice that would be consistently done, though.

True, we'll see if this becomes useful below!

Just for my own reminder, this is an evolution of Following the Pattern, which would replace BRaiders, right? Or is this a shadow one...?

This is the Shadow one, possibly replacing (the current) Dreamspying, based on the flavor of the Forsaken relaying/discovering information about the real world through T'a'r.

Yeah, I think those kinds of "Special Moves" are the thing that feels awkward for us to add via policy. I'm fine with situational bonuses and such, but giving a custom mission via policy kind of feels a "bit much," even if it mechanically mirrors something we might otherwise do without a mission.

So, I agree that the Glimmer thing take's away the directedness of this, which is problematic, but it also makes it cease to be a custom mission, which I like - another way to do that?

I don't really have any problems with Policies giving custom missions, it feels like something we can expand those mechanics into since WoTMod is so much more about "special units" than CiV is. As we loop around through the other Policies, I imagine I'll want to suggest similar things there, so I wouldn't expect any choice for a custom mission we make here to stand alone as the only one (which would be weird).

In terms of considering alternatives, Projections only have a small set of available actions, so we'll need to hook into one of those. They move through the T'a'r layer. They exert their "pressure damage" on other nearby Projections/WBrs/DWs/Wolves. They create Dreamwards.

We could reveal the area around a Dreamward for X turns after it's created? This would allow purposeful strategic reveals by the player, but drastically reduces the specific hexes they can do it on, since new Dreamwards can't be made within range of another Dreamward.

They could have main layer sight as long as they're within X hexes of their host? There's no flavor justification for this (sight in T'a'r is unrelated to the host's physical location in reality, right?), but it is quite mechanically flexible (can purposefully provide sight at any given location with some planning, some locations present more risk than others since the host may need to be closer).

If we're talking about detecting EaE (as in FtP), we could do a % chance when in proximity or something. The actual active vision is one that's tough to allow without a custom mission or relying on something like "when the Projection is expended" (which feels ok, but then requires you to strategically place it when it dies, which is not ok).

Getting sometimes-active vision in the main layer does feel like the appropriate bonus for this kind of thing, though. Just not quite sure how to implement it.

Hopefully some of the above helps out with how to do this! This wasn't originally about FtP, but the "detection of EaE" could be attached to any of the suggested mechanics above, if we want to.

Also, how are we visually going to indicate the whole "you have active vision on t'a'r but not the main layer" or "you have active vision on the main layer but not on t'a'r"?

T'a'r sight should probably have its own layered representation of "fog of war" like the main layer (split between currently visible and previously visited - "never visited" is a single state that covers both layers). That may be difficult to get CiV to display, we'll have to see!

Before I get into the Tower stuff, the state of the Ethics tree:

We are considering replacing Borderland Raiders with one of the following:

• Follow the Pattern - somehow revealing EaE via T'a'r units
  • Ogier purchase - mirror to the Shadowspawn purchase on the Pride side (if not used below)
  • Anything else?

We are considering replacing Dreamspying with:

• Some variant on the flavor that reveals portions of the main map layer from T'a'r.
  • Some mechanical manifestation of the "Dreaming in the Flesh" flavor that doesn't unfavorably overlap with the Dreamwalker's ability

We are considering replacing the Faith purchase portion of the Integrity Finisher with one of the following:

• Sister purchase after declaring for the Light
  • Ogier unit purchase (if not used above)
  • Dreamwalker purchase

We are considering replacing the Faith purchase portion of the Pride Finisher with one of the following:

• Black Ajah Sister purchase after declaring for the Shadow
  • Shadowspawn purchase (will need a replacement Policy for Hidden Knowledge)
  • Dreamwalker purchase

Is that the exhaustive list of what we're considering now?

oh no! Worst case, we could split off a "White Tower Summary," I suppose.

Yeah, that would split the High King and Ogier stuff off separately, which should give us enough wiggle room with the character limit!

I see what you mean, and broadly I agree. I do think we could use the flavor (flavor only) of a Tower Schism to justify the "losers" still joining other civs, though. It's quite easy to say, in a Light-sided Tower, "A Black Sister has joined you!" and believe it. Similarly, we could do something like "A Rebel Sister has joined you!" if the Tower has turned.

Yeah, we could use this flavor to represent that system. I feel like if we want to use the Tower Schism then it would be better to make it a bigger deal. As it stands, I feel like the events of it happening in the books timeline are on too short a timescale to be well reflected in our "main game". (Though I'm still a big fan of an eventual Tower Schism scenario! I feel like that'd capture that flavor a lot better.)

Mechanically I'm finding I prefer the asymmetrical approach of the Tower choosing a side. And I like the flavor synergy that the Tower is "abandoning" the civs that oppose them. The opposition still have Sisters, but suddenly the Sisters are a finite resource, which feels very appropriate to that kind of "stranded against a greater power" flavor.

I will say, putting Sister units aside momentarily, we are kind of up against the same concern described above for the Ogier. If somebody's gone all in on Tower throughout the game, and the Respect branch, etc., as well as Authority, (ah, that was the name!), cutting off their ability to work with the Tower at all might be a bit much, assuming their side loses. That's just the nature of the beast, though, right? I suppose we just need to make sure some of the policies in Respect and Friendship still provide bonuses, regardless of which side those entities choose in the LB, right?

We don't know exactly what will go into the Authority Tenets yet, so that's something for us to consider, but looking back at the Diplomacy branch of the Politics tree, I'd say we'll be ok. For civs on the losing side:

Daughter-Heirs becomes a static bonus (they can no longer send new Novices, so they only have the existing bonus of the women that are already in the Tower). Ambassadors are still generated independent of the Tower.

Standards of Discourse isn't affected by the Tower.

Trade Accord's Gold bonus is unaffected. The Tower Influence part no longer works, but this seems fine to me. (Close enough to the end of the game that this Policy bonus has already helped them a lot.

The Finisher is unaffected (in fact the quota part is quite helpful, since that controls how many Sisters you retain).

Overall only 2 Policies are affected and none of them are eliminated entirely.

Yeah, this is a huge point that I hadn't considered. It's likely you'd only be getting one or two sisters anyways, so this is mechanically close to moot - the other things we do when the LB start (how we divide up the Sisters initially, etc.) matter much more. (The changes in diplo and trade and stuff do still matter a bunch, though). Even the winners would only receive a couple sisters in replacement throughout the whole conflict.

we could of course elect to eliminate replenishment completely during this window - perhaps nobody'd miss it, and it does allow us to balance things carefully.

I think I'm fine with replenishment continuing as normal for the civs on the same side as the Tower. It's not a big bonus, but it's another part of making the Tower "feel like" it's on your side. It's certainly something we can turn off if we find those civs have too many Sisters all the time.

The whole Sisters-Ajah-abilities-depend-on-relationships-with-the-Tower-and-each-Ajah thing is also at play here - we don't want to reset folks to Tier 1 because their side "loses" right? Even if we allow them to have a set of sisters that flee at their current level, won't that level rapidly decay due to the lack of diplo and the systems we've already created?

I wonder if we should lock all of the Sisters' tiers for all civs at the start of the LB? Flavorfully, the Sisters are the same people they were at the start of the LB and unless they die they will live through the whole thing (they're no longer an abstraction of a "unit"). The Tower changing its allegiance doesn't make the actual individuals any stronger or weaker.

Alternatively, we could just let the influence decay go ahead. This is probably the much simpler option. I don't actually see anything in the Diplo summary about players' Ajah influence being changed by the Tower Turning (or not)? Is that information just missing?

If players' Ajah influence remains the same and just their overall Tower Influence drops like a stone (which I could sort of see working), then leaving the Ajah tier mechanics the same during the LB as pre-LB makes a lot of sense. It will take some time for the Tower Influence modifiers to bring down those players' Ajah influences, by which time the game will be over. (And creates a sense of urgency for the players on the losing side - their Sisters are getting weaker if they don't act quickly.) Notably Black Ajah Sisters retain their Compulsion ability regardless of tier.

The flavor justification to this approach is that Sisters are getting weaker as they're being cut off from the support network they benefited when officially sponsored by the Tower.

I think it is important to remember that, if I'm understanding your proposal correctly, buying Sisters will only be available to folks who adopt the Ethics tree. I think that makes it important for us to not consider this as an assumed form of compensation for everybody - we should assume that a fair number of civs/players won't always want to or be able to go heavy into Alignment, though they might still be using channelers heavily. This might suggest we should keep Sister Replacement active for both... or remove it for both, lest this becomes a "must choose" Tree that will be largely useless to many civs.

Definitely, for players on the losing side who don't have the purchase mechanic available I predict Sisters becoming a much scarcer commodity for them. Each lost Sister is a permanent reduction for them. (Though "permanent" doesn't last that long in civ terms this close to the end of the game.) I think there are two kinds of players who might get caught in this situation, and it's generally acceptable given their profiles.

One is the non-Authority player - someone who's playing Seanchan or Shara (or similar civ) and going full on with their UU channeler units. They won't be using as many Aes Sedai, so this restricted access for being on the wrong side doesn't hurt them so much. This seems fine for them.

The other is the Authority, Tower-invested player who relies heavily on Aes Sedai. I'd say this player should have been a bigger force in ensuring that the Tower didn't end up choosing the other side. If they've ended up on the wrong side, it should be because of a massive upset of several opposing-side players working together to thwart them. Heavily-Tower-oriented Shadow civs are at a greater risk here, though I think players should go into that play style aware of the high-risk-high-reward nature of it. And of course they'll still have more Black Ajah Sisters (even if the Tower remains Light), which are the superior unit.

OK, so just to be clear, you're proposing here that:

- The Winner gets sister replenishment
- Both sides can unlock Sister-Buy via their Policy Finishers

Correct? (noting that I am calling the sister replenishment into question above)

I'm fine with it, I think. It certainly makes things simpler. That said, there are some questions/challenges.

Yes, exactly! :D

- Does this unlock when all the faith-buys unlock (usually era 5, I think), or does the open up only when the LB starts?

I think this should unlock when the LB starts - different from the other finishers. For the Light side that means it won't be overlapping with the normal Sister distribution for nearly as long, simplifying the balance of it. And for the Shadow side, I don't think we can give them Black Ajah Sisters before the LB starts, since that unit shouldn't be present until then. (And having the Policy change from giving normal Sisters to Black Ajah once the LB starts would be confusing.) With the Black Ajah Sister much less flexible about when purchasing can unlock, I figure making the tree symmetrical is a good idea.

Does this have anything to do with Quota? Can you go past your quota? How far past? I think we don't really want people to be able to "Bulb" with these ladies in the LB - does this function predominantly as a sister replacement tool (so you can be aggressive with Sisters, because you'll always have a new one), or a recruitment tool (so you can get tons of sisters)? These create very, very different playstyles

I can't remember if we eventually reversed our decision of keeping quota secret from the players? We originally proposed it as internal to the Tower, but I remember us revisiting it as well and considering making it public. Given how this is playing out, I'm thinking players will need to be able to see their quota value to be able to make any sensible decisions about how many Sisters they can/should purchase.

Related to your actual question and tying into the above, I'd say they're still limited to their quota. The quota could also become locked, like I suggest with the Ajah tiers above, once the LB starts? This means all of the player's Sisters will remain at the level of strength they had before, which does make some sense. (Flavorfully, they're the same Sisters as before the LB and should be of equivalent strength to themselves from not long ago.)

Or maybe the quota is just allowed to decrease if they're on the losing side? A consequence of that major decision? Like for the Ajah Influences above, as long as this takes time then the game will tend to end before it becomes debilitating.

This also makes a rather huge difference in terms of how high we have to set the cost (or how steep the scaling of cost needs to be). I think I'd like it to be still a viable strategy to buy them periodically before the LB (if it's possible), and not make it too steep of an opportunity cost to save your cheap-priced Sisters for late in the game. (Bulbing with GS's for instance, is somewhat viable, but it's not categorically better than buying your GSs earlier - since Sisters will auto-replenish earlier in the game, this greatly incentivizes holding onto your buys until the end of the game). Basically, the late-game bulbing just makes this all harder to balance.

I think the cost should scale in a way that only the most ridiculously Faith-generating civ could purchase many Sisters. The LP cost scaling would ensure all but the craziest civs would be capped at 4 or 5 purchases, and most lower than that. I think the primary benefit here is the ability to replenish your Sisters at short notice without needing to wait for the Tower, since time is such a factor during the LB.

Lastly, are these available only for folks who choose the side? What about neutral players who have this tree? Do they get the faith buy? (I assume opposite-side players wouldn't). Similar question - what happens to neutral civs when the Tower Turns?

Hmm, a good question that I hadn't considered before!

My first reaction is that we leave things the same for Neutral players during the LB as before the LB, in terms of the Sisters being distributed to them, regardless of which way the Tower goes. (Though I could see a flavor argument for Neutral civs only receiving Sisters if the Tower remains Light.)

Alternatively, I could also see Sister distribution being halted for Neutral players, regardless of how the Tower chooses. (They've refused to help us, we're not going to send them more Sisters.)

As for Neutral players who pick this tree and get to the finisher, I think it should work the same way as it does for opposite-side players (so the Faith purchase is not available). We can make this obvious in the descriptions with "Can purchase Sisters with Faith after declaring for the Light" and "Can purchase Black Ajah Sisters with Faith after declaring for the Shadow" (or similar) so human players don't get caught out thinking it will work.

Right now we have the 25% seal research as a part of the RLeague on Integrity. We can see if that survives. If it does, it probably should have some analogue in Pride, right?

Possibly, I don't think we have to have a direct Seals-analogue for the Shadow players on Pride here. The Seals system is asymmetrical already and the research speed only benefits the Light on the "discover if a Seal is real" portion, which Shadow players would need to do as well, even if they would have succeeded in stealing it before it was verified.

Sorry to break up the conversation, but no matter where I look, I cannot find any version of this mod out there, or any statement as to how far from a release the mod is. I have been following this mod for quite a while, and made an account to ask, is there any information on how far into development this mod is?

No worries, always happy to hear from a fan! There isn't a playable version of this mod yet, though we're approaching the phase where that will start to happen. I'm glad you've been following us thus far and I hope you'll stick with us until we've got something playable! (And that you enjoy it then, of course!)

I don't really have any problems with Policies giving custom missions, it feels like something we can expand those mechanics into since WoTMod is so much more about "special units" than CiV is. As we loop around through the other Policies, I imagine I'll want to suggest similar things there, so I wouldn't expect any choice for a custom mission we make here to stand alone as the only one (which would be weird).
yes, this last thing you said. In my head I've been comparing this tree to the extant trees in BNW and the ones I've proposed, which don't have such things. If that continues to be the case, then I wouldn't want to add abilities like this. If not, and it's a normal thing for the other trees, then obviously that's fine.

In terms of considering alternatives, Projections only have a small set of available actions, so we'll need to hook into one of those. They move through the T'a'r layer. They exert their "pressure damage" on other nearby Projections/WBrs/DWs/Wolves. They create Dreamwards.

We could reveal the area around a Dreamward for X turns after it's created? This would allow purposeful strategic reveals by the player, but drastically reduces the specific hexes they can do it on, since new Dreamwards can't be made within range of another Dreamward.
I think the issue with this option is that DWs, as far as I remember it, are going to be used on your own cities as much, if not more, than on other cities. That kind of thing wouldn't be helpful in that case. Unless you want this to essentially enable a DW to be created as a "sentry" for random sight elsewhere in T'a'r?

They could have main layer sight as long as they're within X hexes of their host? There's no flavor justification for this (sight in T'a'r is unrelated to the host's physical location in reality, right?), but it is quite mechanically flexible (can purposefully provide sight at any given location with some planning, some locations present more risk than others since the host may need to be closer).
hmmmm... interesting. Would a more "cohesive" way to do this to say something like "+2 Sight for units when projecting into T'a'r", or something liek that? Like, give the host unit extra sight whenever they're projecting? There's sort of more flavor justification of it, and it might encourage people to project close to their borders and be more adventurous. I don't know

T'a'r sight should probably have its own layered representation of "fog of war" like the main layer (split between currently visible and previously visited - "never visited" is a single state that covers both layers). That may be difficult to get CiV to display, we'll have to see!
right, but the visual challenge I'm seeing is how to represent all four of these possibilities at the *same time*. Presumably, regular units just see Main Fog and Main Vision, and T'a'r units just see T'a'r Fog and T'a'r Vision. These new enhanced units would see all four at once - how do we, for instance, show these layers interacting with one another? Although, I suppose with abilities like this, you'd never have a situation where you can see vision in one and not the other, I guess.

We are considering replacing Borderland Raiders with one of the following:

• Follow the Pattern - somehow revealing EaE via T'a'r units
  • Ogier purchase - mirror to the Shadowspawn purchase on the Pride side (if not used below)
  • Anything else?

We are considering replacing Dreamspying with:

• Some variant on the flavor that reveals portions of the main map layer from T'a'r.
  • Some mechanical manifestation of the "Dreaming in the Flesh" flavor that doesn't unfavorably overlap with the Dreamwalker's ability

We are considering replacing the Faith purchase portion of the Integrity Finisher with one of the following:

• Sister purchase after declaring for the Light
  • Ogier unit purchase (if not used above)
  • Dreamwalker purchase

We are considering replacing the Faith purchase portion of the Pride Finisher with one of the following:

• Black Ajah Sister purchase after declaring for the Shadow
  • Shadowspawn purchase (will need a replacement Policy for Hidden Knowledge)
  • Dreamwalker purchase

Is that the exhaustive list of what we're considering now?
I think so, yes, with the small addition that Seals might be a part of one of these as well, to balance with RLeagues if need be.

So, to clarify on the discussion below, I'm now in favor of the faith buy on both sides being Sisters (regular and Black).

What do you think about having the Ogier be a policy on the light side? Too weird or too much stepping on the Friendship toes, or useful as a counterpoint to the Shadowspawn policy?

Yeah, we could use this flavor to represent that system. I feel like if we want to use the Tower Schism then it would be better to make it a bigger deal. As it stands, I feel like the events of it happening in the books timeline are on too short a timescale to be well reflected in our "main game". (Though I'm still a big fan of an eventual Tower Schism scenario! I feel like that'd capture that flavor a lot better.)
for sure. Kind of like the split in the Aiel. Probably best as a scenario.

We don't know exactly what will go into the Authority Tenets yet, so that's something for us to consider, but looking back at the Diplomacy branch of the Politics tree, I'd say we'll be ok. For civs on the losing side:

Daughter-Heirs becomes a static bonus (they can no longer send new Novices, so they only have the existing bonus of the women that are already in the Tower). Ambassadors are still generated independent of the Tower.

Standards of Discourse isn't affected by the Tower.

Trade Accord's Gold bonus is unaffected. The Tower Influence part no longer works, but this seems fine to me. (Close enough to the end of the game that this Policy bonus has already helped them a lot.

The Finisher is unaffected (in fact the quota part is quite helpful, since that controls how many Sisters you retain).

Overall only 2 Policies are affected and none of them are eliminated entirely.Yeah, I'd say these are acceptable. Truthfully, it's similar to a situation in which a diplo civ found itself at war with the Tower for whatever reason. This will happen more often, but its similar.

I think I'm fine with replenishment continuing as normal for the civs on the same side as the Tower. It's not a big bonus, but it's another part of making the Tower "feel like" it's on your side. It's certainly something we can turn off if we find those civs have too many Sisters all the time.
ok, i'm fine to try it

I wonder if we should lock all of the Sisters' tiers for all civs at the start of the LB? Flavorfully, the Sisters are the same people they were at the start of the LB and unless they die they will live through the whole thing (they're no longer an abstraction of a "unit"). The Tower changing its allegiance doesn't make the actual individuals any stronger or weaker.
wait, you're not suggesting that sisters *not* leave when the lb starts or tower turns, are you? I thought that was the big wham that make the turning matter.

I'm not sure we need to lock tiers. Some civs will be built around taking advantage of those mechanics, possibly (novice stuff, etc.), and certainly some personal playstyles will be. I wouldn't want to end it all in the end. True, it's a short period of time, but I'd just as soon leave it alone for that short period than upend the whole thing in a way that feels cheap to some.

Alternatively, we could just let the influence decay go ahead. This is probably the much simpler option. I don't actually see anything in the Diplo summary about players' Ajah influence being changed by the Tower Turning (or not)? Is that information just missing?
I think you're right. The modifier to your Ajah points will change drastically if the tower flips to a side you aren't on, but that doesn't mean the ajah's themselves would change their minds. I think this feels flavorful, too.

If players' Ajah influence remains the same and just their overall Tower Influence drops like a stone (which I could sort of see working), then leaving the Ajah tier mechanics the same during the LB as pre-LB makes a lot of sense. It will take some time for the Tower Influence modifiers to bring down those players' Ajah influences, by which time the game will be over. (And creates a sense of urgency for the players on the losing side - their Sisters are getting weaker if they don't act quickly.) Notably Black Ajah Sisters retain their Compulsion ability regardless of tier

The flavor justification to this approach is that Sisters are getting weaker as they're being cut off from the support network they benefited when officially sponsored by the Tower.
yes, I like this system. leave it alone.

Definitely, for players on the losing side who don't have the purchase mechanic available I predict Sisters becoming a much scarcer commodity for them. Each lost Sister is a permanent reduction for them. (Though "permanent" doesn't last that long in civ terms this close to the end of the game.) I think there are two kinds of players who might get caught in this situation, and it's generally acceptable given their profiles.

One is the non-Authority player - someone who's playing Seanchan or Shara (or similar civ) and going full on with their UU channeler units. They won't be using as many Aes Sedai, so this restricted access for being on the wrong side doesn't hurt them so much. This seems fine for them.

The other is the Authority, Tower-invested player who relies heavily on Aes Sedai. I'd say this player should have been a bigger force in ensuring that the Tower didn't end up choosing the other side. If they've ended up on the wrong side, it should be because of a massive upset of several opposing-side players working together to thwart them. Heavily-Tower-oriented Shadow civs are at a greater risk here, though I think players should go into that play style aware of the high-risk-high-reward nature of it. And of course they'll still have more Black Ajah Sisters (even if the Tower remains Light), which are the superior unit.
Well, we should remember that the tower turning may be very much out of somebody's control. You can be very influential in the tower, but as I recall, the turning objectives are often unrelated to that. But overall I agree with this assessment. And yes, the latter player here would still have more Sisters than had they not invested in the Tower, and they would presumably be at a higher tier besides.

I think this should unlock when the LB starts - different from the other finishers. For the Light side that means it won't be overlapping with the normal Sister distribution for nearly as long, simplifying the balance of it. And for the Shadow side, I don't think we can give them Black Ajah Sisters before the LB starts, since that unit shouldn't be present until then. (And having the Policy change from giving normal Sisters to Black Ajah once the LB starts would be confusing.) With the Black Ajah Sister much less flexible about when purchasing can unlock, I figure making the tree symmetrical is a good idea.
I agree. this sounds like a good system

Question, the true split of sisters and stuff doesn't happen until the LB starts, but if the turning objectives are completed before then, are players notified that it will happen (so they can prepare), or will it always be a sort of surprise? I think pre-notification is nice mechanically, but it's weeeeird flavor-wise.

I can't remember if we eventually reversed our decision of keeping quota secret from the players? We originally proposed it as internal to the Tower, but I remember us revisiting it as well and considering making it public. Given how this is playing out, I'm thinking players will need to be able to see their quota value to be able to make any sensible decisions about how many Sisters they can/should purchase.
i've definitely been working with the notion that they know their quota value. They just don't know their priority rating and such with the tower.

Related to your actual question and tying into the above, I'd say they're still limited to their quota. The quota could also become locked, like I suggest with the Ajah tiers above, once the LB starts? This means all of the player's Sisters will remain at the level of strength they had before, which does make some sense. (Flavorfully, they're the same Sisters as before the LB and should be of equivalent strength to themselves from not long ago.)

Or maybe the quota is just allowed to decrease if they're on the losing side? A consequence of that major decision? Like for the Ajah Influences above, as long as this takes time then the game will tend to end before it becomes debilitating.
Um, I think quota needs to change in order to simulate the drastic and immediate loss of sisters who flee. I'd say *both* sides lose quota, right? Or did you imagine if you had a quota of 10, and 3 sisters leave to flee with the BSisters, you'd be able to fill back up to 10?

In any case, the losing side definitely should lose quota.

As far as locking it at this point - immediately post-split, not before-split - I don't think we need to. If somebody completes the Respect tree and gets +X quota or whatever, I suppose they deserve to get it, right?

I think the cost should scale in a way that only the most ridiculously Faith-generating civ could purchase many Sisters. The LP cost scaling would ensure all but the craziest civs would be capped at 4 or 5 purchases, and most lower than that. I think the primary benefit here is the ability to replenish your Sisters at short notice without needing to wait for the Tower, since time is such a factor during the LB.
yes, I like this range.

Hmm, a good question that I hadn't considered before!

My first reaction is that we leave things the same for Neutral players during the LB as before the LB, in terms of the Sisters being distributed to them, regardless of which way the Tower goes. (Though I could see a flavor argument for Neutral civs only receiving Sisters if the Tower remains Light.)

Alternatively, I could also see Sister distribution being halted for Neutral players, regardless of how the Tower chooses. (They've refused to help us, we're not going to send them more Sisters.)
I'd say neutral civs never get black sisters. But, I'd say they can continue to get regular Sisters, but they do take a quota hit - but aren't at war. I suppose they replenish still, though? I could imagine them no longer replenishing, though - if you aren't with them, you're against htem.

As for Neutral players who pick this tree and get to the finisher, I think it should work the same way as it does for opposite-side players (so the Faith purchase is not available). We can make this obvious in the descriptions with "Can purchase Sisters with Faith after declaring for the Light" and "Can purchase Black Ajah Sisters with Faith after declaring for the Shadow" (or similar) so human players don't get caught out thinking it will work.
yeah, I think i agree!

Possibly, I don't think we have to have a direct Seals-analogue for the Shadow players on Pride here. The Seals system is asymmetrical already and the research speed only benefits the Light on the "discover if a Seal is real" portion, which Shadow players would need to do as well, even if they would have succeeded in stealing it before it was verified.
yeah, can look at this again when doing fine-balancing of the tree on our second pass.

Yeah, as s3rgeus mentioned, nothign playable yet. Hopefully soon, though... unless we change into a Civ6 mod..... thoughts on that?

yes, this last thing you said. In my head I've been comparing this tree to the extant trees in BNW and the ones I've proposed, which don't have such things. If that continues to be the case, then I wouldn't want to add abilities like this. If not, and it's a normal thing for the other trees, then obviously that's fine.

Sounds good - what do you think of the "air sweep" approach in that context then?

I think the issue with this option is that DWs, as far as I remember it, are going to be used on your own cities as much, if not more, than on other cities. That kind of thing wouldn't be helpful in that case. Unless you want this to essentially enable a DW to be created as a "sentry" for random sight elsewhere in T'a'r?

I figured players would make DWs in places they normally wouldn't in order to make use of the sight. And DWs do have some offensive usefulness to place over other cities.

hmmmm... interesting. Would a more "cohesive" way to do this to say something like "+2 Sight for units when projecting into T'a'r", or something liek that? Like, give the host unit extra sight whenever they're projecting? There's sort of more flavor justification of it, and it might encourage people to project close to their borders and be more adventurous. I don't know

I'd say the flavor's still the problem with this one, because it doesn't really seem like there's any grounding for the host unit being more aware (if anything they should be less) while Dreaming. Could be quite nice mechanically though, making people risk their Dreamers a bit more.

right, but the visual challenge I'm seeing is how to represent all four of these possibilities at the *same time*. Presumably, regular units just see Main Fog and Main Vision, and T'a'r units just see T'a'r Fog and T'a'r Vision. These new enhanced units would see all four at once - how do we, for instance, show these layers interacting with one another? Although, I suppose with abilities like this, you'd never have a situation where you can see vision in one and not the other, I guess.

I think this will mostly be influenced by what CiV will let us display, as I've never tried to get the fog to do anything beyond its existing functionality of visible/seen-before/never-visited. I'd imagine in an ideal world we'd just show them in a kind of layered approach, so you can see where you have T'a'r sight by a different visual indicator, the same way that "visually shadowed" means you don't have active sight on a hex. Or possibly you only see the T'a'r fog while you have a T'a'r entity selected. We don't really need to sort this for now though.

I think so, yes, with the small addition that Seals might be a part of one of these as well, to balance with RLeagues if need be.

So, to clarify on the discussion below, I'm now in favor of the faith buy on both sides being Sisters (regular and Black).

What do you think about having the Ogier be a policy on the light side? Too weird or too much stepping on the Friendship toes, or useful as a counterpoint to the Shadowspawn policy?

Awesome, glad we're good with the Faith buy stuff now!

The Ogier Policy seems to be one of our better candidates for replacing Borderland Raiders and is nicely symmetrical-but-different to Hidden Knowledge, which is good. I'm fine with listing that on the Integrity branch, at least for now?

for sure. Kind of like the split in the Aiel. Probably best as a scenario.

Agreed

wait, you're not suggesting that sisters *not* leave when the lb starts or tower turns, are you? I thought that was the big wham that make the turning matter.

No, this is only about tiers, the Sisters leaving when the LB starts is a key part of our mechanics and ties into the flavor well.

I'm not sure we need to lock tiers. Some civs will be built around taking advantage of those mechanics, possibly (novice stuff, etc.), and certainly some personal playstyles will be. I wouldn't want to end it all in the end. True, it's a short period of time, but I'd just as soon leave it alone for that short period than upend the whole thing in a way that feels cheap to some.

Yeah, based on what we've discussed about Ajah Influence from a Turned Tower, let's leave the mechanics for Sister tiers alone.

I think you're right. The modifier to your Ajah points will change drastically if the tower flips to a side you aren't on, but that doesn't mean the ajah's themselves would change their minds. I think this feels flavorful, too.

Sounds good!

Well, we should remember that the tower turning may be very much out of somebody's control. You can be very influential in the tower, but as I recall, the turning objectives are often unrelated to that. But overall I agree with this assessment. And yes, the latter player here would still have more Sisters than had they not invested in the Tower, and they would presumably be at a higher tier besides.

Based on the Turning objectives, I'd say a very influential Tower player would likely be able to influence a few of them. Some are "capture city X" which is unrelated, but others are "have majority influence with Ajah Y" which a Tower player could definitely counteract.

I agree. this sounds like a good system

Question, the true split of sisters and stuff doesn't happen until the LB starts, but if the turning objectives are completed before then, are players notified that it will happen (so they can prepare), or will it always be a sort of surprise? I think pre-notification is nice mechanically, but it's weeeeird flavor-wise.

I don't think the players should be notified explicitly that a Turning is going to take place, but the final step after completing all of the Turning objectives is assassinating the Amyrlin. That's something that can happen normally (even if Turning isn't going to occur) but if the Amyrlin is assassinated in the lead up to the LB and the Turning objectives the Light has learned about (via espionage), then they can certainly have a very strong suspicion so it won't be totally out of the blue for human players. But it will still be a big "reveal". Which is the best of both worlds, I think!

i've definitely been working with the notion that they know their quota value. They just don't know their priority rating and such with the tower.

Awesome, that's good. What's "priority rating" in this context?

Um, I think quota needs to change in order to simulate the drastic and immediate loss of sisters who flee. I'd say *both* sides lose quota, right? Or did you imagine if you had a quota of 10, and 3 sisters leave to flee with the BSisters, you'd be able to fill back up to 10?

Yeah, I wasn't thinking we'd use quota to enforce the Sister-leaving mechanic. It's already possible to exceed your quota with non-quota-ed Sisters, who would presumably still be affected by the Tower Turning stuff, so that would be confusing. I figured the Sisters leaving at the start of the LB would be its own mechanic that just "happens", based on the rules we laid out in the summary so far.

However:

In any case, the losing side definitely should lose quota.

Yes, agreed, it fits in with the flavor of the situation. As a separate mechanic from the Sister-leaving stuff, this still makes sense. Arguably it won't matter too much. The only civs that it will affect are civs who have finished the Ethics tree and can purchase new Sisters, since the other civs on the losing side won't be regaining any Sisters anyway, there's no way for them to get more Sisters in order to be restricted by their newly lowered quota.

As far as locking it at this point - immediately post-split, not before-split - I don't think we need to. If somebody completes the Respect tree and gets +X quota or whatever, I suppose they deserve to get it, right?

Also agreed, like the Sister tiers stuff, we can let the normal systems continue to work here and the short-term nature of the LB will prevent it getting out of hand.

I'd say neutral civs never get black sisters. But, I'd say they can continue to get regular Sisters, but they do take a quota hit - but aren't at war. I suppose they replenish still, though? I could imagine them no longer replenishing, though - if you aren't with them, you're against htem.

Agreed on Black Ajah Sisters for Neutral civs. I'd say the Tower would stop sending Neutral civs normal Sisters (regardless of Turning or not). As you've said "not with them is against them" in the LB and they'd want to direct their resources elsewhere. It's a small penalty given the timescales but matches up really well with the flavor.

Related to all of this Tower stuff, I've split the Diplo summary into a Tower summary and a Diplo summary (Diplo summary below). I've gone through to add the stuff we've talked about here to the Tower summary, though I'm finding that actually a lot of it is there already. There's also this point, which we now seem to have decided against (the Ajah Influence part anyway):

Civilizations who declare for the opposite side of the Last Battle from the Tower (Shadow if the Tower remains Light, or Light if the Tower is Turned) lose all influence with all Ajahs in the Tower. Their overall influence is locked at the minimum value for the duration of the war. They are precluded from participating in actions that would previously have earned them Ajah influence.

I've marked that as red in the summary since we're now considering changing it. It does make some sense that that Ajah Influence would disappear, but it could be justified the other way as well. Mechanically it helps us out if it remains the same.

Are there any other details from here that are missing from the Tower summary? Most of this discussion's decisions seem to pertain to how the Faith purchase fits into the existing stuff.

A Diplomacy summary! Everything Diplomatic and non-Tower related is summarized here.

World Congress
  • Rebranded and better than ever, the World Congress is now becoming the Compact of Nations. It fulfills a similar role to the World Congress in base CiV - a late game avenue for diplomatic proposals that require major civilizations to vote on their outcomes
  • A list of resolutions available to the Compact can be found here.

The Ogier
  • The Ogier are represented by a subset of the CSes present on each map - Stedding.
  • They, like the Tower, vote independently in the Compact, but have a smaller portion of votes.
  • Ogier CS relationships behave similarly to base CiV CS relationships, except they can have multiple allies (all civs with > 60 influence) and, as normal, any number of friends > 30 influence.
  • The bonuses provided by being friends/allies with a Stedding are dependent on the current declared Age at the previous Stump.
  • A Stump occurs every World Era, in which each Stedding votes on the next Age for the Ogier. The Age with the most votes wins, ties are decided randomly. Each Stedding's vote is decided by an "internal" vote at that Stedding, composed of:
    • The Stedding itself can cast two votes for which Age it wants to vote for - based on predefined flavors and current game state.
    • Allies of the Stedding can cast two votes.
    • Friends of the Stedding can cast one vote.
  • Internal voting ties go in favor of the Age Stedding itself wants to vote for, or at random if all tied parties are other players' votes.
  • All players are notified of an impending Stump when the World Era changes - the Stump takes place 5 turns after that.
  • Channeling does not work on hexes owned by Stedding CSes (neither while standing on those tiles nor aiming into them from outside.
  • Stedding do not declare war alongside their allies like normal CSes.
  • Aggression against any individual Stedding will result in significant military and diplomatic consequences, as outlined here
  • Completing any quest given out by a Stedding will generate a small amount of Light for the player completing the quest.

The Ogier City States have access to an additional 4 quests that other City States do not:

Tree Friends
The Stedding will reward you if you do not remove forest or jungle and build no lumber mills for the next 30 turns.

Peaceful Coexistence
The Stedding will reward you if you remain at peace with all civilizations for 30 turns. Targeted quest.

Careful Consideration
The Stedding will reward you for proposing or voting for "No Resolution" at the next Compact election. Targeted quest.

Studious Nature
The Stedding will reward the player who spends the most turns producing Research in their cities.

A Good Book
The Stedding will reward you for creating a Great work of Writing. (substitute what we rename GW to.) Targeted quest.

Finding Your Way
The Stedding will reward you if you find a new Waygate within 30 turns. Targeted Quest.

Defy Machin Shin
The Stedding will reward you for venturing into the Ways and returning with a prize within the next 30 turns. Targeted Quest.

Darkness at Bay
The Stedding will reward you for locking <nearby Waygate>.

High King
  • The High King event can be explicitly disabled via a "No High King" option in the pregame setup.
  • Approximately around the end of the fourth era, a single major civilization is elected High King.
  • The first civilization to achieve any of the following conditions is elected High King:
    • Control (numberOfPlayers-1)/2 (rounded up) foreign original capitals
    • Construct the High King's Palace wonder
    • Research the Treatises technology
    • Research the The New Tongue technology and have a trade route established with every original capital in the game simultaneously (available only if there are the game started with 4 or more players)
    • Research the The New Tongue technology and make Declarations of Friendship with half or more of the foreign civilizations in the game
  • The High Kingship lasts for 25 turns - during which time the High King civilization is in a Golden Age. All existing wars are halted and no new wars may be declared as long as there is a High King.
  • International trade routes that start or end in any city owned by the High King civilization provide +2 Ambassador points per turn to each player.
  • The High King civilization may choose a "tax" to impose on the other Provinces of their kingdom. (Examples include a gold tax - a fraction of all GPT generated by all civilizations is sent to the High King instead. Similar choices exist for Food, Production, Science, Culture, Tourism.)
  • The High King may choose to change this tax to a different one at the halfway point of their reign.
  • The High King civilization has a selection of bonuses that must be bestowed upon the different Provinces of the kingdom. Bonuses are divided up into four categories (or slots) that describe how powerful they are:
    • Powerful
    • Significant
    • Meager
    • Nothing
  • Based on the number of major civilizations still alive in the game, a different number of slots will be available, so that one player will always receive no bonus.
  • The available Provincial Bonuses are:
    • Province of Industry - +% Production when building buildings
    • Province of Discipline - +% Production when training units
    • Province of Wealth - +X Gold yield from Strategic Resources and Luxury Resources
    • Province of Exploration - +X movement for naval units
    • Province of Belief - +X Faith per city
    • Province of Learning - +% Science
    • Province of Honor - +% Experience from killing Shadowspawn and Dragonsworn
    • Province of Invention - +X culture per international trade route
    • Province of Sacrifice - no bonus
  • Each available Provincial Bonus will automatically be associated with one of the slots (powerful/significant/meager) automatically. The High King then must give out the required number of each slot. (i.e. in some games, the research bonus will be Powerful, in others it will be Meager. The High King must give out 1 Meager, 1 Significant, 1 Powerful, and 1 Nothing bonus if there are 4 Provinces.)
  • When the High Kingship ends, a series of automatic wars are triggered (by flavorful context) between several of the previously-Provincial civilizations (a portion guaranteed to include the former High King civilization).

Crossover with the Last Battle
  • The Compact of Nations remains in effect throughout the Last Battle and votes go on as normal, though AI civilizations may act in favor of their alignment over themselves.
  • When Shadow civilizations declare war on each other at the start of the Last Battle, this does not cause City-States to declare war on other Shadow players. All other diplomatic and war-related mechanics for City-States function as normal during the Last Battle.
  • City-states choose an Alignment when the Last Battle commences, based on the Alignment-over-time they have accrued from their past allies and some initial flavoring that varies per city-state. (Their choice may place them at odds with their current ally.)
    • Stedding naturally tend toward the Light side of the spectrum, requiring influence for longer or more Shadow civilizations to make them choose the Shadow.
  • City-states' alignment can be undermined from the opposing side of the Last Battle (using Gray Man spies for the Shadow, and the Dragon for the Light) in order to flip their allegiance. Alternatively, city-states could switch sides by allying with a Neutral civilization between two separate Light/Shadow allies.
  • Any trade routes that would be destroyed as a result of the Last Battle wars are instead cut short - returning the trade unit to its original owner for a new route to be re-established.
  • AI civilizations that have chosen the Light do not consider fellow Light civilizations' warmongering tendencies when evaluating their diplomatic relationship.
  • If a City-State is liberated from the Shadowspawn civilization, instead of the usual liberation bonus, the liberating civilization receives +60 influence with that City-State and +150 Light.

City States
  • Base CiV city state traits have been renamed:
    • Maritime -> Bountiful
    • Militaristic -> Borderlander
    • Religious -> Enlightened
    • Mercantile -> Prosperous
    • Cultural -> Chronicled
  • City states have access to additional quests, on top of the (appropriately reflavored) base CiV city states quests:

Help with Male Channeler
City-state will reward you for gentling their male channeling unit. Global quest.

Choosing a Side
City-state will reward you for choosing X side as the Last Battle dawns. Targeted quest. This one is weird, as it might telegraph which side they're taking too much.

Snubbing the Tower
City-state will reward you for refusing a Tower Edict in the next 30 turns. Targeted quest. For the insane.

Channeler Gift
City-State will reward a player for gifting a female channeling unit to them. Targeted quest.

Alignment Shift
City-state will reward the player who generates the most Alignment change in the next 30 turns. (Usually these CS quests show the value for the leader, we can just show "change" though, rather than exposing whether it's Light or Shadow.) Global quest.

Governorship
City-state will reward you for instating a Governor of <insert governor type> in one of your cities. (We can use each available governor type/a subset of those types as separate instances of this quest, choosing the appropriate type for the appropriate CS trait.) Targeted quest.

Participate in the Hunt
City-state will reward you for producing 3 Hunters of the Horn units. (Went with multiple instead of just 1 since it isn't a GP. Didn't want to tie the quest to finding/using the Horn itself since it's rare.) Targeted quest.

Fight back the Shadow
Much like the "invading barbarians" cry for help, except with Shadowspawn. Global quest.

Defensive Pacts
  • Defensive pacts now also grant each player an X% combat bonus for units in each other's territory.
  • Defensive pacts also allow civs to use each others' Traveling Grounds Improvements as though they were their own.

Sounds good - what do you think of the "air sweep" approach in that context then?
oh, right.

If we do it as an ability, that sounds logical - either that or just X hexes around the current location of the unit.

I figured players would make DWs in places they normally wouldn't in order to make use of the sight. And DWs do have some offensive usefulness to place over other cities.
yeah, I guess I don't like the idea of them just dotting the map, though... not even close to cities, etc.

I'd say the flavor's still the problem with this one, because it doesn't really seem like there's any grounding for the host unit being more aware (if anything they should be less) while Dreaming. Could be quite nice mechanically though, making people risk their Dreamers a bit more.
yeah,,,

I think this will mostly be influenced by what CiV will let us display, as I've never tried to get the fog to do anything beyond its existing functionality of visible/seen-before/never-visited. I'd imagine in an ideal world we'd just show them in a kind of layered approach, so you can see where you have T'a'r sight by a different visual indicator, the same way that "visually shadowed" means you don't have active sight on a hex. Or possibly you only see the T'a'r fog while you have a T'a'r entity selected. We don't really need to sort this for now though.
we'll see, then!

Awesome, glad we're good with the Faith buy stuff now!

The Ogier Policy seems to be one of our better candidates for replacing Borderland Raiders and is nicely symmetrical-but-different to Hidden Knowledge, which is good. I'm fine with listing that on the Integrity branch, at least for now?
ok, should their be some other element to it, or is that the only component of the policy?

So, something Integrity-related for a name... hmmm....

Faithful Alliance?
Solidarity?

Based on the Turning objectives, I'd say a very influential Tower player would likely be able to influence a few of them. Some are "capture city X" which is unrelated, but others are "have majority influence with Ajah Y" which a Tower player could definitely counteract.
yeah, that last one is a biggie, especially since it looks like it can occur in one game as multiple objectives.

I don't think the players should be notified explicitly that a Turning is going to take place, but the final step after completing all of the Turning objectives is assassinating the Amyrlin. That's something that can happen normally (even if Turning isn't going to occur) but if the Amyrlin is assassinated in the lead up to the LB and the Turning objectives the Light has learned about (via espionage), then they can certainly have a very strong suspicion so it won't be totally out of the blue for human players. But it will still be a big "reveal". Which is the best of both worlds, I think!
ok, that all sounds good. And (rereading the Summary) if we have the whole thing where the Light side can divine a few of the turning objectives through espionage, they could reasonably work out how many had been completed by examining the state of the world.

Awesome, that's good. What's "priority rating" in this context?
The quota for a civ is determined by how important the tower views that civ on the world stage, right? Population, Philosophy, TInfluence, diplomatic actions, and a bunch of stuff all factors into it, right? Maybe it's not a thing that's used to compute anything except quota, though, so not useful to differentiate.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking we'd use quota to enforce the Sister-leaving mechanic. It's already possible to exceed your quota with non-quota-ed Sisters, who would presumably still be affected by the Tower Turning stuff, so that would be confusing. I figured the Sisters leaving at the start of the LB would be its own mechanic that just "happens", based on the rules we laid out in the summary so far.
and
Yes, agreed, it fits in with the flavor of the situation. As a separate mechanic from the Sister-leaving stuff, this still makes sense. Arguably it won't matter too much. The only civs that it will affect are civs who have finished the Ethics tree and can purchase new Sisters, since the other civs on the losing side won't be regaining any Sisters anyway, there's no way for them to get more Sisters in order to be restricted by their newly lowered quota.
ok, so looking at the summary and at what we're talking about here... let's say the tower goes light.

Light sisters lose a # of sisters based on how many Turning objectives and how Light the civ is, and.... don't lose quota? Rejuvenate sisters
Neutral civs lose 50% of their sisters, and lose some quota (somewhat minor?) as a standard penalty? never gain more sisters
Shadow civs lose X% of their sisters (rest turn black) based on how many Turning objectives were completed and lose a more substantial quota piece (standardized?) Can't gain more sisters outside of faith buy

Notably, the loss of quota for neutrals is pointless, right? If they don't get rejuvenated anymore, and can't faith buy... whats the point? Do we want to adjust that slightly, somehow? It does seem like they end up with the worst sister situation of the group, which is interesting because they might be the only civs left trying for a "normal" VC

for shadow turn (again, interpreting the summary), it's not quite as clear what amount everybody has (it's less detailed in summary), is it:

Light sisters lose 50% and a major quota hit? No rejuvenation
Neutral lose the same as in no turning
Shadow civs lose the *same* amount as with a Light Tower, but don't lose a quota hit? And can rejuvenate

Also agreed, like the Sister tiers stuff, we can let the normal systems continue to work here and the short-term nature of the LB will prevent it getting out of hand.
for sure.

Agreed on Black Ajah Sisters for Neutral civs. I'd say the Tower would stop sending Neutral civs normal Sisters (regardless of Turning or not). As you've said "not with them is against them" in the LB and they'd want to direct their resources elsewhere. It's a small penalty given the timescales but matches up really well with the flavor.
I think this works, as long as we clarify above.

Related to all of this Tower stuff, I've split the Diplo summary into a Tower summary and a Diplo summary (Diplo summary below). I've gone through to add the stuff we've talked about here to the Tower summary, though I'm finding that actually a lot of it is there already. There's also this point, which we now seem to have decided against (the Ajah Influence part anyway):

I've marked that as red in the summary since we're now considering changing it. It does make some sense that that Ajah Influence would disappear, but it could be justified the other way as well. Mechanically it helps us out if it remains the same.
I think we should leave it the same (the ajah influence, not the item in the summary). I suppose some hit could happen instead, but maybe it's best not to.

Are there any other details from here that are missing from the Tower summary? Most of this discussion's decisions seem to pertain to how the Faith purchase fits into the existing stuff.
Interesting to read this after so long! Thanks for updating it.

The one thing I noticed is the bit about the sisters lost to the Tower's alignment at the start of the LB being randomly determined. Is this still the best way to do it? Part of me wants it to be based on how influential you are with that Ajah, as in you lose the lowest tier ajah's first.

oh, right.

If we do it as an ability, that sounds logical - either that or just X hexes around the current location of the unit.

Cool, I've listed this in the Ethics tree summary and modified DropBox accordingly since this seems to be our best way to do this at the moment?

yeah, I guess I don't like the idea of them just dotting the map, though... not even close to cities, etc.

True, that would be pretty weird.

ok, should their be some other element to it, or is that the only component of the policy?

It should probably scale with either the size of the Light alliance or the number of Stedding the player is allied with. (Or the number of Stedding that are allied with Light players? The number that declare for the Light?) Any preference on any of those?

Also, does this unlock at the start of the LB, like the others in this tree? The Shadowspawn one obviously has to, but the Ogier one not necessarily. That would let Neutral civs use it if it isn't solely-Light-specific.

So, something Integrity-related for a name... hmmm....

Faithful Alliance?
Solidarity?

Solidarity works for me!

yeah, that last one is a biggie, especially since it looks like it can occur in one game as multiple objectives.

Yeah, that's where Tower-focused civs will have a particular advantage. And with multiple of them, the Shadow civs would need to avoid competing to do well overall, which is a nice little prisoner's dilemma for them.

ok, that all sounds good. And (rereading the Summary) if we have the whole thing where the Light side can divine a few of the turning objectives through espionage, they could reasonably work out how many had been completed by examining the state of the world.

Yeah, exactly.

The quota for a civ is determined by how important the tower views that civ on the world stage, right? Population, Philosophy, TInfluence, diplomatic actions, and a bunch of stuff all factors into it, right? Maybe it's not a thing that's used to compute anything except quota, though, so not useful to differentiate.

Yeah, I figured all of those considerations were just quota calculations, rather than quota being derived from another statistic.

andok, so looking at the summary and at what we're talking about here... let's say the tower goes light.

Light sisters lose a # of sisters based on how many Turning objectives and how Light the civ is, and.... don't lose quota? Rejuvenate sisters
Neutral civs lose 50% of their sisters, and lose some quota (somewhat minor?) as a standard penalty? never gain more sisters
Shadow civs lose X% of their sisters (rest turn black) based on how many Turning objectives were completed and lose a more substantial quota piece (standardized?) Can't gain more sisters outside of faith buy

Notably, the loss of quota for neutrals is pointless, right? If they don't get rejuvenated anymore, and can't faith buy... whats the point? Do we want to adjust that slightly, somehow? It does seem like they end up with the worst sister situation of the group, which is interesting because they might be the only civs left trying for a "normal" VC

Hmm, yeah, Neutral civs are directly the worst off in this situation if the Shadow civs have completed enough Turning objectives to retain more than 50% of their Sisters. At first blush this seems strange, but then again it may not be. The Shadow civs are benefiting (or not, if they've completed no Turning objectives and only keep a tiny fraction of their Sisters, if any at all) from their own work in completing the Turning objectives. The Light players are benefiting from being on the "winning" side in the struggle for the Tower's Alignment. Neutral players have just chosen to ignore the whole thing.

If we wanted Shadow players to be the worst off all the time in the case where the Tower chooses Light, then we could either decrease the maximum % of Sisters the Shadow can retain in that case, or decrease the number of Sisters Neutral civs lose.

The loss of quota is mechanically pointless for Neutral civs, yes. I'd say that their inability to get more Sisters is fine, so the quota change is just a reflection of the flavor of their situation. It makes sense from a "story of the game" perspective and doesn't affect them mechanically, so I'm ok with keeping it. The degradation of their relationship with the Tower (loss of Tower Influence) will also slowly drain their quota as the LB drags on, so it may become relevant, since they've got a lower starting point (unless having lower quota than the number of Sisters you've got doesn't affect you in general).

I would be inclined to make the Shadow penalty to quota when the Tower chooses Light to be relatively significant. Quota represents the systematic allocation of Tower resources, which will be drastically reduced for them, even if they did quite well with the Turning objectives. Something like 50%? If their current number of Sisters exceeds their quota (since 67% is their maximum retention in this situation), would that mean they need to give those Sisters back, or would they just be unable to Faith purchase (if they had unlocked that) until they fell below that lowered quota?

Quota changes are notably not in the summary, so if we're ok with these I'll add them.

For clarity, regarding quota, with a Light Tower:

Light civs lose up to 25% (?) of their quota, proportional to Turning objectives completed
Shadow civs lose 50% (discuss above)
Neutral civs lose X%

As long as X is greater than or equal to 50, the quota change won't impact Neutral civs, so I'd be fine with any value in that range. Greater than 50 would probably be good to prevent players from thinking the quota change and the Sister loss are always the same.

for shadow turn (again, interpreting the summary), it's not quite as clear what amount everybody has (it's less detailed in summary), is it:

Light sisters lose 50% and a major quota hit? No rejuvenation
Neutral lose the same as in no turning
Shadow civs lose the *same* amount as with a Light Tower, but don't lose a quota hit? And can rejuvenate

The summary says that Shadow players don't lose any Sisters if the Tower is successfully turned:

If the Tower Turns to the Shadow, Light civilizations retain only 50% of their Sister units. Shadow civilizations' Sisters all become Black Ajah.

Given that Turning the Tower is harder than preventing the Turning, I'm fine with Shadow civs getting a big boost out of that, so retaining all of their Sisters and their current quotas.

The other 2 look correct based on the summary, did you think we should change something specific for this case?

I think we should leave it the same (the ajah influence, not the item in the summary). I suppose some hit could happen instead, but maybe it's best not to.

Sounds good, I've updated the summary.

Interesting to read this after so long! Thanks for updating it.

The one thing I noticed is the bit about the sisters lost to the Tower's alignment at the start of the LB being randomly determined. Is this still the best way to do it? Part of me wants it to be based on how influential you are with that Ajah, as in you lose the lowest tier ajah's first.

Starting with the lowest tiered Sisters is the mechanical way to do it and makes sense there. Flavorfully random makes sense, since there's no particular correlation between a Sister's station in the Tower and her Alignment. Random might be very punishing though, since it could remove a given player's best Sisters and leave them with their worst, at a time when that difference is quite important and they no longer have time left in the game to change their relationship with their newly-most-represented Ajah. Shall we start with the lowest-tiered Sisters then?

It should probably scale with either the size of the Light alliance or the number of Stedding the player is allied with. (Or the number of Stedding that are allied with Light players? The number that declare for the Light?) Any preference on any of those?

Also, does this unlock at the start of the LB, like the others in this tree? The Shadowspawn one obviously has to, but the Ogier one not necessarily. That would let Neutral civs use it if it isn't solely-Light-specific.
first off, I'd let neutral (any?) civs use it, regardless of when it unlocks.

Not sure when it should unlock. I suppose it depends on the power of the unit, and how it fits in - is it a final-push unit or like an era 6 unit?

I was thinking more like it might have some other benefit that is unrelated to the unit itself. Maybe it's linked to stedding somehow (and light-scaled), but not just in a way that is directly linked to the unit. That said, a unit whose power depends on your lightness is interesting.

Solidarity works for me!
cool

Hmm, yeah, Neutral civs are directly the worst off in this situation if the Shadow civs have completed enough Turning objectives to retain more than 50% of their Sisters. At first blush this seems strange, but then again it may not be. The Shadow civs are benefiting (or not, if they've completed no Turning objectives and only keep a tiny fraction of their Sisters, if any at all) from their own work in completing the Turning objectives. The Light players are benefiting from being on the "winning" side in the struggle for the Tower's Alignment. Neutral players have just chosen to ignore the whole thing.

If we wanted Shadow players to be the worst off all the time in the case where the Tower chooses Light, then we could either decrease the maximum % of Sisters the Shadow can retain in that case, or decrease the number of Sisters Neutral civs lose.

The loss of quota is mechanically pointless for Neutral civs, yes. I'd say that their inability to get more Sisters is fine, so the quota change is just a reflection of the flavor of their situation. It makes sense from a "story of the game" perspective and doesn't affect them mechanically, so I'm ok with keeping it. The degradation of their relationship with the Tower (loss of Tower Influence) will also slowly drain their quota as the LB drags on, so it may become relevant, since they've got a lower starting point (unless having lower quota than the number of Sisters you've got doesn't affect you in general).

I would be inclined to make the Shadow penalty to quota when the Tower chooses Light to be relatively significant. Quota represents the systematic allocation of Tower resources, which will be drastically reduced for them, even if they did quite well with the Turning objectives. Something like 50%? If their current number of Sisters exceeds their quota (since 67% is their maximum retention in this situation), would that mean they need to give those Sisters back, or would they just be unable to Faith purchase (if they had unlocked that) until they fell below that lowered quota?

I think one additional aspect to Neutral civs to consider is that they aren't at war with the tower. They might be, in some cases, the worst off in terms of Sisters, but, presumably, they can still trade with the tower and coexist peacefully with it, right? Or if it turns are they automatically at war with it? In any case, I'd suggest that maybe neutrals don't lose all their influence if the tower stays light. That way, while in extreme cases shadow players might have more sisters, they have less opportunity to benefit from the tower overall. right? What happens when it turns, I'm not so sure.

But yeah, we can tweak the Shadow quota max and neutral penalty as we see fit.

What happens when neutral civs have a policy or a wonder or a tenet or something that boosts their overall quota? Since quota is "pointless" for them, are these washed away, or does it effectively raise their number of sisters? (or does it depend on how many of their sisters are "alive" at the time?)

Is 50% quota too high for Shadow? Isn't that the penalty for Neutral civs in the original summary? It seems like it should be lower than that, right? As far as what happens if they are over-quota when it starts... I suppose yes, they keep them, but can't get more. Keep in mind that black sisters are better, and shadows have the opportunity to get more.

I think the issue here is that we've created possibly negligible differences between them in a light-WT game:

Light civs - less than 100% (depends on tower objectives)
Neutrals - more than 50%
Shadows - up to 67%

Considering the total number of sisters we're thinking civs will have (close to ten, maybe), these differences might only account for one or two sisters. Is this enough, considering the other aspects to your "punishment"?

Quota changes are notably not in the summary, so if we're ok with these I'll add them.

For clarity, regarding quota, with a Light Tower:

Light civs lose up to 25% (?) of their quota, proportional to Turning objectives completed
Shadow civs lose 50% (discuss above)
Neutral civs lose X%

As long as X is greater than or equal to 50, the quota change won't impact Neutral civs, so I'd be fine with any value in that range. Greater than 50 would probably be good to prevent players from thinking the quota change and the Sister loss are always the same.
yeah, I think that's fine, pending above

The summary says that Shadow players don't lose any Sisters if the Tower is successfully turned:

Given that Turning the Tower is harder than preventing the Turning, I'm fine with Shadow civs getting a big boost out of that, so retaining all of their Sisters and their current quotas.

The other 2 look correct based on the summary, did you think we should change something specific for this case?
yeah, I guess it's fine. It feels like they should lose just like the light players lose, but on the other hand, turning is hard, and if turning does occur, light players keep on average more sisters than shadow civs would in the opposite scenario.

Starting with the lowest tiered Sisters is the mechanical way to do it and makes sense there. Flavorfully random makes sense, since there's no particular correlation between a Sister's station in the Tower and her Alignment. Random might be very punishing though, since it could remove a given player's best Sisters and leave them with their worst, at a time when that difference is quite important and they no longer have time left in the game to change their relationship with their newly-most-represented Ajah. Shall we start with the lowest-tiered Sisters then?
I say yes, lowest-tiered. You could argue (weakly, perhaps) that your civ has influenced the ajahs of the sisters you keep enough that they follow your lead... but that doesn't really explain why the low-tier ones would leave.

The other option is that we let the player pick. The issue with this is it'd likely just end up with a bunch of green ajah sisters in the LB, which is boring.

Big news! Civ6 modding tools are imminent! Looking forward to seeing them and making a more informed decision about WoTMod!

first off, I'd let neutral (any?) civs use it, regardless of when it unlocks.

Agreed, let's do that.

Not sure when it should unlock. I suppose it depends on the power of the unit, and how it fits in - is it a final-push unit or like an era 6 unit?

I suppose it could be either, based on the Ogier flavor. I think making it unlock at the same time as the LB might be a bit confusing because the Shadowspawn Policy is Shadow-only, whereas this works for anyone.

We could make it unlock as soon as the player adopts the Policy actually. That probably makes the most sense.

I was thinking more like it might have some other benefit that is unrelated to the unit itself. Maybe it's linked to stedding somehow (and light-scaled), but not just in a way that is directly linked to the unit. That said, a unit whose power depends on your lightness is interesting.

The corresponding Shadowspawn Policy doesn't have any other components, so I'd be ok with this one just being Ogier for now.

I think one additional aspect to Neutral civs to consider is that they aren't at war with the tower. They might be, in some cases, the worst off in terms of Sisters, but, presumably, they can still trade with the tower and coexist peacefully with it, right? Or if it turns are they automatically at war with it? In any case, I'd suggest that maybe neutrals don't lose all their influence if the tower stays light. That way, while in extreme cases shadow players might have more sisters, they have less opportunity to benefit from the tower overall. right? What happens when it turns, I'm not so sure.

I think a Turned Tower, in terms of war declarations, should declare war on Light players. Seeing as Shadow players don't automatically declare war on Neutral players, I'd be ok with a Turned Tower doing the same (not declaring war on Neutral players). Either could work though. I can't think of much that would push us one way or the other? The flavor sort of makes me think the Tower should declare war on Neutral players, but it's not a very strong push.

Also agreed, let's keep Neutral players' Tower Influence and Ajah Influences the same for a Light Tower. Do they take any penalty to these for a Turned Tower? (If there's war involved that obviously affects Tower Influence.)

What happens when neutral civs have a policy or a wonder or a tenet or something that boosts their overall quota? Since quota is "pointless" for them, are these washed away, or does it effectively raise their number of sisters? (or does it depend on how many of their sisters are "alive" at the time?)

Having had that before means they could have had more Sisters before the LB started, in which case they'll have more Sisters after 50% leave than they would have otherwise. (So yes to your last question, it depends on how many they control at the time the LB starts.) So those bonuses aren't made useless, which is good.

Is 50% quota too high for Shadow? Isn't that the penalty for Neutral civs in the original summary? It seems like it should be lower than that, right? As far as what happens if they are over-quota when it starts... I suppose yes, they keep them, but can't get more. Keep in mind that black sisters are better, and shadows have the opportunity to get more.

If the Tower has remained Light, Shadow civs are in the same position as Neutral civs in relation to getting new Sisters. They can't get any more aside from by Faith purchase. Given that if the Shadow civs have completed all-but-one Turning objective means they keep 67% of their Sisters, I figured we'd want the penalty to quota to bring their quota below the threshold of Sister proportion that they might keep. This ensures the Faith purchase can't be used to stack up civs who already have high Black Ajah Sister retention.

That's all very ballpark-y, but I figure it's on the right side of the existing 67%-keep-when-doing-well figure.

I think the issue here is that we've created possibly negligible differences between them in a light-WT game:

Light civs - less than 100% (depends on tower objectives)
Neutrals - more than 50%
Shadows - up to 67%

Considering the total number of sisters we're thinking civs will have (close to ten, maybe), these differences might only account for one or two sisters. Is this enough, considering the other aspects to your "punishment"?

I think so, because there are other aspects to being "punished" for being on the wrong side. Some Tower-related bonuses are diminished. Your Sisters will get progressively weaker. You can't replenish your Sisters. The Tower itself will be actively fighting against you on the map (and has quite a few strong units). The Tower will also be voting against you in the Compact. The difference in total Sister-unit-army-size not being huge is ok with me.

yeah, I guess it's fine. It feels like they should lose just like the light players lose, but on the other hand, turning is hard, and if turning does occur, light players keep on average more sisters than shadow civs would in the opposite scenario.

Yeah, this feels good to me.

I say yes, lowest-tiered. You could argue (weakly, perhaps) that your civ has influenced the ajahs of the sisters you keep enough that they follow your lead... but that doesn't really explain why the low-tier ones would leave.

The other option is that we let the player pick. The issue with this is it'd likely just end up with a bunch of green ajah sisters in the LB, which is boring.

Agreed, I think giving the player choice, while the least likely to be frustrating in any case, will result in less interesting Sister usage during the LB across all cases. I'm good with starting from the lowest-tiered Sisters.

I've updated the Tower summary with the stuff we've decided here. I've also flagged up the quota losses for Light and Neutral civs when the Tower Turns as currently unknown, since I don't think we've gone through that? (The numbers in your post 2 above about a Turned Tower are about Sister retention, not quota loss, right?)

Also advance warning, I won't be around tomorrow, but will be back on Thursday!

Big news! Civ6 modding tools are imminent! Looking forward to seeing them and making a more informed decision about WoTMod![/qute]whew! finally. can't quite tell when they come out though...

Also, Australia? Seems like a cool place, but not really a civ....

I suppose it could be either, based on the Ogier flavor. I think making it unlock at the same time as the LB might be a bit confusing because the Shadowspawn Policy is Shadow-only, whereas this works for anyone.

We could make it unlock as soon as the player adopts the Policy actually. That probably makes the most sense.
sure, they can unlock whenever. They'll be mainly mid-game use units, though, right? It makes this significantly less applicable to the LB, unless they power up at that point or something...

The corresponding Shadowspawn Policy doesn't have any other components, so I'd be ok with this one just being Ogier for now.
sure.

I think a Turned Tower, in terms of war declarations, should declare war on Light players. Seeing as Shadow players don't automatically declare war on Neutral players, I'd be ok with a Turned Tower doing the same (not declaring war on Neutral players). Either could work though. I can't think of much that would push us one way or the other? The flavor sort of makes me think the Tower should declare war on Neutral players, but it's not a very strong push.

Also agreed, let's keep Neutral players' Tower Influence and Ajah Influences the same for a Light Tower. Do they take any penalty to these for a Turned Tower? (If there's war involved that obviously affects Tower Influence.)
It seems to me, flavor aside, that the mechanical path suggests we not do a war declaration. To me, this seems like the consolation, right - you can't get more Sisters, ever, and you lose a bunch of them, but at least you aren't enemies.

Having had that before means they could have had more Sisters before the LB started, in which case they'll have more Sisters after 50% leave than they would have otherwise. (So yes to your last question, it depends on how many they control at the time the LB starts.) So those bonuses aren't made useless, which is good.
Right, I suppose there are circumstances when you'd end up with a net 0 increase of sisters. Maybe that's ok. Or maybe we adjust said bonuses so that doesn't happen

If the Tower has remained Light, Shadow civs are in the same position as Neutral civs in relation to getting new Sisters. They can't get any more aside from by Faith purchase. Given that if the Shadow civs have completed all-but-one Turning objective means they keep 67% of their Sisters, I figured we'd want the penalty to quota to bring their quota below the threshold of Sister proportion that they might keep. This ensures the Faith purchase can't be used to stack up civs who already have high Black Ajah Sister retention.

That's all very ballpark-y, but I figure it's on the right side of the existing 67%-keep-when-doing-well figure.
I see, so the # of sisters might be the same or higher than a neutered civ has, but the quota would the lower. good. So is the quota % fixed, or does that too scale based on Turning objectives?

I think so, because there are other aspects to being "punished" for being on the wrong side. Some Tower-related bonuses are diminished. Your Sisters will get progressively weaker. You can't replenish your Sisters. The Tower itself will be actively fighting against you on the map (and has quite a few strong units). The Tower will also be voting against you in the Compact. The difference in total Sister-unit-army-size not being huge is ok with me.
ok, sure.

Yeah, this feels good to me.
do what feels good, then!

Agreed, I think giving the player choice, while the least likely to be frustrating in any case, will result in less interesting Sister usage during the LB across all cases. I'm good with starting from the lowest-tiered Sisters.
agreed

I've updated the Tower summary with the stuff we've decided here. I've also flagged up the quota losses for Light and Neutral civs when the Tower Turns as currently unknown, since I don't think we've gone through that? (The numbers in your post 2 above about a Turned Tower are about Sister retention, not quota loss, right?)
yes, I've only now really begun to separate them in my mind. Perhaps we're dealing with something like:

Light tower:
Light Civs:
- small to moderate Sister loss (up to 25%, based on turning objectives)
- no quota loss
Neutral civs:
- 50% quota and sister loss (technically quota is irrelevant)
Shadow civs:
- significant sister loss (based on turning objectives), ranging from 25% to 67%
- significant quota loss - flat rate? 33%? 50%?

Shadow Tower:
Light Civs:
- significant sister loss - 50%
- 50% quota loss?
Neutral civs:
- 50% quota and sister loss
Shadow civs:
- no sister loss
- no quota loss?

Is there a difference between light and neutral civs with a shadow tower? The neutral civs maintain tower relations, but the light civs can faith buy. is that it?

thoughts?

Man, we've just about finished this topic![/QUOTE]

Top Bottom