GOTM 29 Speculation Thread

ainwood

Consultant.
Administrator
So... What do you think the next game will be like? What civs will we have? What landform? Level? Resources? Tactical situations?

Perhaps it will be a Super Sid Challenge as the English, smack between the X-man, Bismark and Genghis?

Feel free to make your suggestions / comments / thoughts.

Whilst this game is only getting a few minor tweaks to balance things, I might use some good ideas in future gotms.... :)

I would like to see specific victory conditions in the GOTM games (As in the Medal series) I think that it adds another dimension to the games and takes away the favouritism towards domination and conquest victories in the scoring ladder.

I've been waiting for this thread for 2.5 weeks, since there are no MP's anymore...and now I have nothing to say?

Ah well, just a few words. No designated vicory conditions, please. I like to read how people go about to win their games in their own way.

This game will hopefully be one of the old civs, maybe Zulu or Aztecs, since they suck and are tricky to play.

Time for another Pangaea map with tough neighbours (just don't give me more Persians or Romans) There are lots of strong defenders like Carthage, Greece and (Zulu, if we are not playing them). We won't get Industrious again...sob.. (I hate sloppy workers)

We played a couple of easy games, so holidays are over and we get Emperor or Deity this time, which is good. Perhaps I play Predator if it's Deity..

Whatever we get, I'll be happy to play and take on the challenge.

And yeah, don't we love those raging barbs?

I :love: Joan... in a purely platonic brother/sister kind of way.

A nice seafaring game where you need lots of boats. A young wet and cool world that would allow us to take full advantage of Frances traits on a standard size islands map. Maybe we'll see the Netherlands and Portugal in the game.

Maybe France could have won the battle of Trafalgar with Joan wearing the funny hat.

Edit: BTW I love raging barbs. The human can handle them much better than the AI. Bring them on!

Originally posted by ainwood

Whilst this game is only getting a few minor tweaks to balance things, I might use some good ideas in future gotms.... :)

When PTW came out the new civs introduced were featured in gotm. we could do the same with conquests (in gotm, some of the rule changes of c3c are already implemented). it might be not exactly the same, though. the main feature of c3c lies in its scenarios, called conquests. maybe we should have a look there. ;)

I agree with Gozpel: no designated victory conditions, and it looks like the right time for a pangea or two big continents. And I also agree about the romans, I've seen them enough, I wish for non-red neighbours.

I'd be nice to play the dutch for some reason, the swiss guards are nice ;-P

Actually I've seen way too much of Xerxes the last couple of months. Maybe a space race with the science AI (Russia, Greece, Ottoman, Korea and Babylon) as opponents and playing as Germany. Another fun option would be all the knight UU Civs(India, Japan, China, Mongols, Arabs) in a whose got the best type game. It's also been quite a while since either the Aztecs, French or Egyptians were featured.

The last couple of months have required lots of boats, so either Panagea or 2 big continents, with lots of flat lands & rivers. Possibly another limited resource game (seems to add a new level of challenge). Emperor level if limited resources, maybe demi-god if more resources are available.

Well, I'm still trying to wrap this month's game up (going well, but time-consuming), but I could definitely see a pangea challenge. Emperor(plus?), lots of aggressive civs, and we get to be someone peaceful like France or maybe Greece. Good defenders, and we'll definitely need them. Kind of a reverse to the Mongol GOTM, where we could sweep over everyone, instead we gotta stake our claim quick and then hold on to what we got for a while.

I hadn't played Civ 3 for months before this past GOTM, and I barely eked out a diplomatic win on Monarch. Now, I am ready for an increase in difficulty level, but I'm hoping for Emperor rather than Deity or Sid. I'm going to have my hands full with Emperor, never mind Deity. :)

Sid would be really nice. All those recent Deity games have been 'easened' too much. I really hope we'll see a new game with like 5 winners. It has been over a year since a really difficult game. :D

I thought of an interesting variant. Have only one available victory type but don't reveal it. Let the players discover it as they reach different victory points and the game doesn't end. Imagine the surprise of playing for conquest and killing the last AI only to find out the game hasn't ended (it was a diplomatic only game).

Probably to wild to try, but interesting none the less.

Originally posted by denyd
I thought of an interesting variant. Have only one available victory type but don't reveal it. Let the players discover it as they reach different victory points and the game doesn't end. Imagine the surprise of playing for conquest and killing the last AI only to find out the game hasn't ended (it was a diplomatic only game).

Probably to wild to try, but interesting none the less.

That's just plain mean :p

my vote would be for a civ with either AA or IA unique unit. Germany, with a Northern start and on a pangea (cold and dry) with France and Russia as direct neighbors would be pretty challenging. Throw in Babylon and Egypt nearby for some AA pressure.
It's also probably time for demigod - diety level , though it would be nice to baby step up to emperer since we just played @ monarchy level.

Is this Ainwood's baby or do we have a new creator this month?

Originally posted by denyd
Imagine the surprise of playing for conquest and killing the last AI only to find out the game hasn't ended (it was a diplomatic only game).

Is it even possible to disable Conquest as a victory condition? I mean, if you kill the last AI, and the game hasn't ended, um, who are you playing against :rolleyes: More barb uprisings when you get to the next era?
:lol:

In line with denyd's wild idea, how about another one. Maybe have all of the attacking units have 0 attack. That's for the AI too. Might make for an interesting builders game. That is, until SirPleb gets Mech Infantry and attacks the AI who still only have Spearmen :).

Originally posted by grahamiam
...it would be nice to baby step up to emperer since we just played @ monarchy level.

Indeed, as that last game was my first at monarch, a nudge up to emperor would be cool.

I had an idea I was going to setup for a SG.

Only allow units that upgrade to units normally active in the Modern Era.

Spearmen....Mech Infantry
Catapults....Radar Artillery
Fighters...Stealth Fighters
Galleys...Transports
etc.

That would cut down on the military agression. Remove the units for all players. UU choices would require only these CIVs available:
Greece, Carthage, Zulu, France, Germany , Korean & America.

Again this would reduce the agression and lead to a more builder oriented game.

Has this been done before?: a given amout of settlers at the start, but no possibility to build more - so you could only expand by taking ai-cities or not at all. I'd find it interesting

Hmmmm

The GotM is supposed to be fun for most participants, as I see it, very tweaked game rules, ultra high difficulty, or very poor starting conditions - in other words, anything that's extreme - will keep a lot of people away.
I have been trying to get a few relatives to play the GotM, and the current difficulty level (i.e Monarch-Emperor) is definately the max they care to try. Should they download an Emperor game and find out their settler is surrounded by toundra and mountains they will certainly give up, and frankly, I probably would too.

Top Bottom